It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Turn on AM1000 - Sarah Spain

Turn on WSCR - Julie DiCaro

Two genuinely lousy human beings.

I'll go back to wrapping presents with the TV on.

Last edited by Tad Queasy on Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Not casting aspersions here, you sir have an awesome little pictorial thingy going on. Can she talk sportz?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:32 pm 

Her name is Katie Nolan. I've heard her on the radio once (with Golic and Wingo) and she seemed pretty good.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Good God. Someone needs to start a 3rd sports talker in this town and just go full on dudebro, Hot [Sports] Talk format with promos like "those other guys want to move your soul, we want to talk sports" and "at our station, intersectionality means sports AND fun" and "we aren't interested in calling you a bigot". Just anything to tell the key demo that you're not going to call them evil racists.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Barstool should snag a signal.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:42 pm 

Hey Tad, JLN needs her a little darker. Can you help a brother out?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:

I mean, WLS-AM has committed to running two national shows during the weekday midday and afternoon slots in 2018. No reason that couldn't carve out a chunk of the audiences of both WSCR and MVP.

Give Danny Mac the afternoon slot he's always wanted and give the rest of the daytime air to younger talent with the only mandates being "talk sports, be funny, don't call the key demo bigots, and don't even think of mentioning, much less discussing, a mid-season Milwaukee Bucks game on TNT that evening (actual B&G segment a week ago)".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:52 pm 

beni hanna wrote:

Huh?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:

I mean, WLS-AM has committed to running two national shows during the weekday midday and afternoon slots in 2018. No reason that couldn't carve out a chunk of the audiences of both WSCR and MVP.

Give Danny Mac the afternoon slot he's always wanted and give the rest of the daytime air to younger talent with the only mandates being "talk sports, be funny, don't call the key demo bigots, and don't even think of mentioning, much less discussing, a mid-season Milwaukee Bucks game on TNT that evening (actual B&G segment a week ago)".

Wow. Have you been drinking? Wow...that’s , uh, some bad thoughts. Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:07 pm 

beni hanna wrote:

Huh?

Not on every sit every minute as I once was. Getting my 2.71 post count in. Bigots and race issues is a big portion of what I read when I can of JLN posts. Tad talked maybe sexism or more likely just bad radio. Just sayin....

Post what you want. Use from the site what you want. Love your notes?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:11 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Wow. Have you been drinking? Wow...that’s , uh, some bad thoughts. Merry Christmas.

Where do you take issue? Mac? The notion of doing mindless sports talk/hot talk without #resistance navel-gazing? You wouldn't take that over Rush Limbaugh and whichever Cumulus schmuck got the 890 mid-morning death slot?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:14 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Yes, but what's the problem with what I said? My wording was a little clumsy, but I meant the WLS-AM signal repurposed for sports talk, not that the national shows WLS has committed to will attract SCR and MVP listeners.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:15 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Huh?

Not on every sit every minute as I once was. Getting my 2.71 post count in. Bigots and race issues is a big portion of what I read when I can of JLN posts. Tad talked maybe sexism or more likely just bad radio. Just sayin....

Calling people bigots goes part and parcel with the content created by Dicaro and Spain. But yeah "misogynist" would have worked better but I'm typing from my phone.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Curious Hair wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Where do you take issue? Mac? The notion of doing mindless sports talk/hot talk without #resistance navel-gazing? You wouldn't take that over Rush Limbaugh and whichever Cumulus schmuck got the 890 mid-morning death slot?

Mac is selling Fords. He had his chance and is done. He has joined North, Coppock and to a lesser extent Murph. It’s as if programmers are missing something that you and JLN have stumbled upon.

Edit: for the record, I’d rather listen to Mac than Limbaugh but that’s not going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:22 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Mac is selling Fords. He had his chance and is done. He has joined North, Coppock and to a lesser extent Murph. It’s as if programmers are missing something that you and JLN have stumbled upon.

You give Mac a show not because you're expecting HFC Mac, but because he still might have enough juice in the town to attract enough listeners to whom you can advertise enough to turn a profit. What's more, because he's moving metal in Indiana, you can get him at a cheaper rate, and fill the rest of the daytime schedule with cheaper talent. There are Chicago kids everywhere in the wastelands of the sports talk world who would love to come home for 60K a year and put "WLS-AM" on their resume.

The key is, you have to run 90 degrees out of phase relative to The Score and their approach. The Game, from what I recall, just tried to be Generic Sports Talk Station #3.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods

Their XM station launches in a few weeks

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:44 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
It’s as if programmers are missing something that you and JLN have stumbled upon.

Sweet-ass appeal to authority here. How dare anyone think they know better than Mitch Rosen?

Yeah, I think there's a niche for irreverent sports talk that a station could exploit. Call me crazy. 1000 is generic Bristol-approved pap, and 670 is Mully & Hanley in the morning and then recycled Deadspin posts and Hillary/Resistance Twitter bitchfits the rest of the day (which I maintain is broadcasting for an audience that traditionally doesn't listen to AM radio, and the Cubless ratings books should bear this out). We still have like five stations that play "Runnin' Down a Dream," you're telling me we can't fit a third sports talker that's more oriented toward guy talk, or general bullshit, or ripping off the glory days of AM1000, or whatever you want to call it? The Game could have been that if anyone had put it together with any idea bigger than "let's get this on the air before the FCC takes the 87.7s away," but instead it was 1000-lite (in both the modern sense and the Brandmeier-in-mornings sense).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen

Barstool is getting a 24/7 Sirius channel coming in mid January. Even at its worst it will be better than Chicago Sports talk.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
Curious Hair wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
It’s as if programmers are missing something that you and JLN have stumbled upon.

Sweet-ass appeal to authority here. How dare anyone think they know better than Mitch Rosen?

Yeah, I think there's a niche for irreverent sports talk that a station could exploit. Call me crazy. 1000 is generic Bristol-approved pap, and 670 is Mully & Hanley in the morning and then recycled Deadspin posts and Hillary/Resistance Twitter bitchfits the rest of the day (which I maintain is broadcasting for an audience that traditionally doesn't listen to AM radio, and the Cubless ratings books should bear this out). We still have like five stations that play "Runnin' Down a Dream," you're telling me we can't fit a third sports talker that's more oriented toward guy talk, or general bullshit, or ripping off the glory days of AM1000, or whatever you want to call it? The Game could have been that if anyone had put it together with any idea bigger than "let's get this on the air before the FCC takes the 87.7s away," but instead it was 1000-lite (in both the modern sense and the Brandmeier-in-mornings sense).

You don’t want to hear how a 30 year old north shore trust fund baby who has no athletic bone in his body had his life changed by Colin Kaepernick and his hero is Obama? The golden era of Chicago Sports Talk is upon us. Get used to it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
SirTinkleButton wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

You don’t want to hear how a 30 year old north shore trust fund baby who has no athletic bone in his body had his life changed by Colin Kaepernick and his hero is Obama? The golden era of Chicago Sports Talk is upon us. Get used to it!

:lol: And some you would rather hear Hawks talk then breakdowns of regular season Bucks-Jazz games? You racist troglodytes! How is your soul not moved??

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:24 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Huh?

Calling people bigots goes part and parcel with the content created by Dicaro and Spain. But yeah "misogynist" would have worked better but I'm typing from my phone.

I'm not totally clear on what Beni was asking, but knowing what hypocrites, frauds, and generally lousy people DiCaro and Spain are I have no interest in listening to their shows.

I don't think I have a high bar when it comes to sports talk. I would just like a relatively normal conversation about sports without hot takes, VERY. IMPORTANT. RADIO., or SJW lecturing.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:40 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
SirTinkleButton wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

This is a warped take-away of what Parkins brings to the Score.