It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Shepkowski and McCaffery
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
This is sports-talk radio for people who hate sports, by people who hate sports.

I wanted to listen to something on the way home from work and while making dinner, and got this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:22 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Tad Queasy wrote:
This is sports-talk radio for people who hate sports, by people who hate sports.

I wanted to listen to something on the way home from work and while making dinner, and got this.

Ooh, how bad is it? Shep is almost as bad as Ostrowski when it comes to having no worse fate in this world than having to talk Chicago sports on the radio. He also sounds like a pimply intern while doing so but he's a bit older than I am.

I remember Baldy doing a show a few years ago that was basically an open forum on the state of the Score, where callers almost to a man said there was too much whining about having to talk to normal people about sports, as if that's not their job. As Les would say, SO MUCH FOR THAT.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:34 pm 

Julie didn't even know the Vikings weren't playing this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Ooh, how bad is it? Shep is almost as bad as Ostrowski when it comes to having no worse fate in this world than having to talk Chicago sports on the radio. He also sounds like a pimply intern while doing so but he's a bit older than I am.

I remember Baldy doing a show a few years ago that was basically an open forum on the state of the Score, where callers almost to a man said there was too much whining about having to talk to normal people about sports, as if that's not their job. As Les would say, SO MUCH FOR THAT.

Your description of Shepkowski is perfect and Baldy, from what I heard, is pretty much the same.

Are Julie and Magaggie this bad? This might be the male version of Julie and Maggie.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Julie's first update after transition at 9 was horrible.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
orioleboy wrote:

That's almost as bad as saying there were 3 baseball games instead of 4.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:57 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
orioleboy wrote:

She wasn't much of a Chelsea fan either. Quite frankly (without Stephen A Smith) disappointed 2bqh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
The Kow and The Caf.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Tad Queasy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

Your description of Shepkowski is perfect and Baldy, from what I heard, is pretty much the same.

Are Julie and Magaggie this bad? This might be the male version of Julie and Maggie.

All of these producer boys are eager, enthusiastic and positive when they first hit the SCORE. There eyes are all wide thinking they have a chance to be a full time host and make 6 figures. Then, as the years go by, it hits them. It's never gonna happen. Shep is the latest one where reality is setting in with him. Drinky finally quit. Ostrowski has been there for years. He's as whinny and pissy as any host I've ever heard at the station. So, yes, all the white boys turn into bitter ass holes. Plus, it's allowed at the SCORE. The ESPN producers aren't allowed to be bags.

They especially get pissy when they get wives and kids for obvious reasons. The producer/part timer check goes quicker when this happens.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

But it's a great operation for Mitch and all other sports radio stations. Once these guys have had enough they quit. When they start asking for more money you Mitch says no and they quit.

But there's always another batch of dumb ass whites in their 20s to answer the phones. And you get to start them off at 25k. Mitch gives the new class the same bullshit of "If you work hard maybe one day you'll be on the air." Then these boys have the same wide eyes as the departing class that have quit. The cycle never ends.

It's a great business model.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Beardown is on a roll!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:01 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
its like they all try to be dan but are much worse at it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 am 

Most of the greats in the industry were never producers. You think about it, there is nothing about producing that makes you a great host. Maybe you can learn to competently drive a show but talent is different than technical proficiency.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:58 am 

Mac producing Coppock probably helped him in a lot of respects, but the talent is something you either have or you don't have. The Illinois Media School commercials make my stomach turn. The only broadcaster factory the Score really gets hosts from is Syracuse.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Curious Hair wrote:
Mac producing Coppock probably helped him in a lot of respects, but the talent is something you either have or you don't have. The Illinois Media School commercials make my stomach turn. The only broadcaster factory the Score really gets hosts from is Syracuse.

I'll never forget their first commercials that came out when they were Illinois Broadcasting School and it sounded like they were running commercials
for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. I am My Favorite Poster and Hero.... :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 am 

good dolphin wrote:
Most of the greats in the industry were never producers. You think about it, there is nothing about producing that makes you a great host. Maybe you can learn to competently drive a show but talent is different than technical proficiency.

this is a good point. what the score has outside of their 3 normal shows (minus goff) is a bunch of people who can go to breaks properly, keep the flow of a show going, select the right drops, etc etc, but have the personality of a brick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:04 pm 

A brick (or Brick) would be an upgrade! What we have now is "Well I guess I have to do a show. So I wrote a thing online. Everyone on Twitter is so dumb. Here's a great tweet from someone I like, though. Do I have to take a call? Ugh, the callers are so dumb. Not like me, I'm smart. My stomach hurts. Here's an interview Bernstein and Goff did. Is the show over yet? 312.644.6767 but don't call because you're dumb. I'm not dumb. I don't want to talk about hockey. No one cares about hockey, stop asking about hockey. Let's see what people on Twitter are saying."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:41 pm 

at work, for the longest time, we've tried to turn techs and engineers into sales people and its never worked. for 12 years we tried to fit that square peg into the round hole.

like i bet the casual listener can't tell the difference between shep/zawaski/mcaffery/grote/espozito because they all sound the same, are boring as well, and complain about the same things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:00 pm 

hnd wrote:
at work, for the longest time, we've tried to turn techs and engineers into sales people and its never worked. for 12 years we tried to fit that square peg into the round hole.

I'm not really on board with this comparison. Anyone with half a brain doesn't want to be in sales. These people are in sales because they are usually dumb as a stone. Sales people will promise the product will cure cancer, and it's then up to the techs and engineers to walk back all the ignorant statements made by the salesperson after the contract is signed.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Douchebag wrote:
Sales people will promise the product will cure cancer, and it's then up to the techs and engineers to walk back all the ignorant statements made by the salesperson after the contract is signed.

True, but the salesman will often earn 5x or more what the engineers make. It sucks when you see the apparent idiot raking it in, but it's the way it is...a necessary evil.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:08 pm 

Douchebag wrote:
hnd wrote:

I'm not really on board with this comparison. Anyone with half a brain doesn't want to be in sales. These people are in sales because they are usually dumb as a stone.

I worked with a rep who would send me emails so incoherent, they made bigfan posts look like sonnets. He may very well have been functionally illiterate. (Also, like bigfan, NEW TRIER GUY.) But we'd go out on calls and he was completely in his element. It's just a different kind of intelligence.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:41 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
hnd wrote:

I'm not really on board with this comparison. Anyone with half a brain doesn't want to be in sales. These people are in sales because they are usually dumb as a stone.

I worked with a rep who would send me emails so incoherent, they made bigfan posts look like sonnets. He may very well have been functionally illiterate. (Also, like bigfan, NEW TRIER GUY.) But we'd go out on calls and he was completely in his element. It's just a different kind of intelligence.

i have to have grammarly on every communication product we use otherwise i'm 5 steps ahead of my typing and it can look awful. but on calls its a different animal like your rep. our engineers go on one sales call and are usually in awe of what it takes to make a sale. some still feel like its super easy, see the $ that you can make, attempt it and just fail absolutely miserably at it. knowing a product and persuading someone else to use it is a different animal that people can scoff at all they want but can't even remotely accomplish it.

you can make anecdotes about bad sales people all you want just like you can say every engineer/developer is a pompous know it all social reject.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:04 pm 

hnd wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
hnd wrote:

i have to have grammarly on every communication product we use otherwise i'm 5 steps ahead of my typing and it can look awful. but on calls its a different animal like your rep. our engineers go on one sales call and are usually in awe of what it takes to make a sale. some still feel like its super easy, see the $ that you can make, attempt it and just fail absolutely miserably at it. knowing a product and persuading someone else to use it is a different animal that people can scoff at all they want but can't even remotely accomplish it.

you can make anecdotes about bad sales people all you want just like you can say every engineer/developer is a pompous know it all social reject.

You are selling yourself in sales, not the product.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm 

depends on the product.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Curious Hair wrote:

Chet did a good job of giving Mac more responsibility over the AM1000 years. Eventually, Mac hosted a preponderance of Friday nights in the winter, but the format was still Chet's guest-heavy with a few legacy callers such as Wild Bill mixed in who actually had legitimate thoughts.