It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beat Trade
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I'm hoping that this is just a stalling motion that had to be announced before this weekend's Convention, and that Grote will eventually get moved to a prominent role in whatever Mac-related shuffle comes along this spring.

I thought the same but hell, Spiegel might've been a better choice than Zaidman.

Yeah, but that would mess up any shared/full custody he might have of his kid.

Does Grote have kids? If so, that could be part of it. The Cubs job is high-profile, but if he's with the team on the road that's about 120 days a year of travel - 81 road games, 1 travel day per series, and some time in Mesa and in any playoffs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:29 pm 

They should put ZZ and Five Head Len in a booth together during a game to see if either recognizes that the other team even exists.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Now that his check isnt coming from lake forest, maybe ZZ will begin dropping nuggets on what a shitshow halas hall is

happy with the move because i dont listen to cub broadcasts :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
If I had pre/post for the fucking Cubs I am not giving that up for no-way no-how. How cool would that be? Even if I do hate the Cubs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:36 pm 

billypootons wrote:
Now that his check isnt coming from lake forest, maybe ZZ will begin dropping nuggets on what a shitshow halas hall is

happy with the move because i dont listen to cub broadcasts :D

Did ZZ lose his sideline reporting?

If not, he'd have a pretty nice resume working for both the Bears and Cubs.

The real indignity will be when he, like Jesse, becomes NATIONAL CUBS INSIDER for networks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Hatchetman wrote:
If I had pre/post for the fucking Cubs I am not giving that up for no-way no-how. How cool would that be? Even if I do hate the Cubs.

Yeah, I have to imagine the atmosphere in a MLB clubhouse is superior to that of an NFL locker room, not to mention dealing with Theo and Tom has to be preferable to the freak show at Halas Hall.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I think I'd rather have Jake go to the Cards than have to listen to any pregame shows with ZZ.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
scoregirl wrote:
Maybe Grote and his girlfriend are getting serious and looking to start a family. Much less travel on the bears gig.

Breaking news, scoregirl aka grotegirl?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
scoregirl wrote:
Maybe Grote and his girlfriend are getting serious and looking to start a family. Much less travel on the bears gig.

That's actually what I assumed. I just hoped that Pat didn't force him out.

But it's just so fucking horrible that they replaced him with ZZ. I'd rather have Sini do it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
But it's just so fucking horrible that they replaced him with ZZ. I'd rather have Sini do it.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Jaw Breaker wrote:
I'm hoping that this is just a stalling motion that had to be announced before this weekend's Convention, and that Grote will eventually get moved to a prominent role in whatever Mac-related shuffle comes along this spring.

I thought the same but hell, Spiegel might've been a better choice than Zaidman.

Yeah, but that would mess up any shared/full custody he might have of his kid.

Does Grote have kids? If so, that could be part of it. The Cubs job is high-profile, but if he's with the team on the road that's about 120 days a year of travel - 81 road games, 1 travel day per series, and some time in Mesa and in any playoffs.

Isn't Grote a recovering addict? Maybe the time on the road has tempted him?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Chris_in_joliet wrote:
I think I'd rather have Jake go to the Cards than have to listen to any pregame shows with ZZ.

I agree with this. Jake will be out of baseball before Zaidman.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Absolutely sucks. Beni will not be listening. PTFB cannot happen fast enough after the final out.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
beni hanna wrote:
Absolutely sucks. Beni will not be listening. PTFB cannot happen fast enough after the final out.

Better dust off your #NotInterested sign.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:51 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Yeah, I have to imagine the atmosphere in a MLB clubhouse is superior to that of an NFL locker room, not to mention dealing with Theo and Tom has to be preferable to the freak show at Halas Hall.

Bears pre and post game is so diffused there is no way to dominate listenership even if the total listenership is greater. Right now 670, 720, 780, 1000 and 105.9 all do pre and post. Cubs are basically the flagship station.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:57 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Better dust off your #NotInterested sign.

Indeed. I could barely get through a bad breakdown of ZZ Bears Info. when he was just on for 17 weeks, twice a week. Now it is 162 days minimum, twice a day. Shoot me now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:01 pm 

I have not seen this comparison made yet. I would gladly take Chris Rongey doing pre-post for either MLB team over ZZ doing same. What's your take?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:02 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
I have not seen this comparison made yet. I would gladly take Chris Rongey doing pre-post for either MLB team over ZZ doing same. What's your take?

I could think of nothing better than Rongey doing Cubs post-game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:10 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

I could think of nothing better than Rongey doing Cubs post-game.

Even at Rongey's hated worst, he was better than what comes a knockin.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:49 pm 
1000 CLUB

I'd like to propose teaming Julie DiCaro and Bruce Levine for the Cubs' gig.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
So do they just not realize how disliked ZZ is generally? Seems like an odd move to alienate Cub fans.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:20 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
FavreFan wrote:
So do they just not realize how disliked ZZ is generally? Seems like an odd move to alienate Cub fans.

To the extent that anyone has formed an opinion about Zach Zaidman, it's either that he's an obsequious blowhard who works for the Bears or that guy who got way too excited about DePaul actually winning a basketball game. For whatever they're selling about "switching up beats," once you've been on the Bears beat for 14 years while working for the Bears as well (somehow no one minds this), you're a Football Guy and kinda need to remain one.

The one good thing to come out of the Cubs moving to 670, which has been terrible for 720, the rest of the Score, and my ears, was an affable Cubs fan like Mark Grote getting to be the third man in the booth and now they don't even have that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:58 am 

FavreFan wrote:

People hate how he is a blind homer. Cubs fans will love that he is a blind homer.

Great hire.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

People hate how he is a blind homer. Cubs fans will love that he is a blind homer.

Great hire.

Yep

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
Did ZZ lose his sideline reporting?
Yes. Grote will be the beat reporter and do sideline reports.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:32 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
once pat calls it a career, I hope the Cubs hire Jeff Joniak. I've really enjoyed the games he has filled in for Hughes the past couple years.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:44 am 

phil rosenthal today column makes it clear that Grote did not want to do this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Hatchetman wrote:

Mark Grote had asked for a meeting with his boss, Mitch Rosen, WSCR-AM 670’s operations director, to talk over the coming baseball season, which was to be his fourth as the Cubs’ pregame and postgame host.

Grote had a checklist of things he wanted to go over when they sat down the day after Christmas. Rosen had a thought. So much for the list.

“He proposed the idea of me going to the Bears and possibly putting Zach (Zaidman) on the Cubs, and I have to say I was surprised,” Grote said Thursday, a day after the job swap was announced, pausing ever so slightly between “was” and “surprised.”

“I had no idea. There was no thought in my mind whatsoever that there would be any kind of proposal for change, but I took the time to think about it, and at this point I’m at peace with it.”

Zaidman, who logged 14 seasons as The Score’s Bears reporter and sideline reporter on game broadcasts for Entercom sister stations WBBM-AM 780 and WCFS-FM 105.9, indicated he would prefer to be interviewed closer to Cubs spring training. He said Wednesday via Twitter that he is “excited to join the Cubs broadcast team” and “extremely grateful for my time covering the Bears,” which he called “quite the journey.”

As for the impetus to upend The Score’s two biggest reporting beats — a change affecting game-day broadcasts for both the Cubs’ and Bears’ flagship stations — Rosen has said only that he felt it was time for a change.
A

The switch was announced less than 24 hours after the Bears introduced Matt Nagy as their new coach and almost four months after the Bears renewed their rights deal with WBBM, their radio home since 2000.

“The best part of this is both Zach and Mark are terrific people,” Rosen said. “For Zach, it gives him an opportunity to work in baseball and travel full time with the Cubs. For Mark, he will cover what could be an exciting year with a new coach and do sideline reports on WBBM during games. I look at it as a win-win for everyone.”

Zaidman will continue to report on the coaching comings and goings as Nagy assembles his staff, and he’ll keep doing “Bears All-Access” through the end of this month.

But after calling Friday night’s DePaul-Providence basketball game, Zaidman also is scheduled to work a three-hour shift beginning at noon Saturday from the Cubs Convention. Eventually he’ll make his way to spring training in Arizona.

The Cubs open their 2018 season in about 11 weeks in Miami.

“My offseason just got extended,” Grote said. “I was getting ready to go to work, and now I’ve got even more free time than I thought, and for the first time in three or four years I’ll have a summer.”

Grote enjoyed terrific rapport with Cubs announcers Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer, but baseball broadcasts are less regimented than pro football.

Whether he’ll have the opportunity to be as loose with Bears voices Jeff Joniak and Tom Thayer while weathering rain and snow, or even as he reports on the team during the week from Halas Hall, is an open question.

“It probably will be difficult, but to be honest with you, I thought it would be difficult with the Cubs too,” Grote said. “I’m going to try my hardest to be myself. I know I can’t always make a joke out of everything, but I can’t help but be myself. I hope that (humor) will come through in a non-forced way. … If I lose that, I lose myself, so I hope there’s room.”

During what turned out to be Grote’s swan song with the Cubs, Hughes made a point to thank him during the bottom of the ninth inning in Game 5 of the National League Championship Series against the Dodgers for his contributions.

As it was clear that would be the end of the line for the 2017 Cubs, Hughes and Coomer tried to acknowledge everyone from Cubs and WSCR management to sponsors and listeners. Finally, Hughes got to Grote, who he noted was busy preparing the postgame program.

“Mark does wonderful work on the pregame show and during the games all year long and the postgame shows,” Hughes said. “He gets here early and stays late.”

Hughes might have said even more, but that’s precisely when Willson Contreras lined out to Charlie Culberson for the third out. So much for the list.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:40 am 

I clicked on this thread thinking it was another circle jerk thread. :oops:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:44 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:

Quote:
Mark Grote had asked for a meeting with his boss, Mitch Rosen, WSCR-AM 670’s operations director, to talk over the coming baseball season, which was to be his fourth as the Cubs’ pregame and postgame host.

Grote had a checklist of things he wanted to go over when they sat down the day after Christmas. Rosen had a thought. So much for the list.

“He proposed the idea of me going to the Bears and possibly putting Zach (Zaidman) on the Cubs, and I have to say I was surprised,” Grote said Thursday, a day after the job swap was announced, pausing ever so slightly between “was” and “surprised.”

“I had no idea. There was no thought in my mind whatsoever that there would be any kind of proposal for change, but I took the time to think about it, and at this point I’m at peace with it.”

Zaidman, who logged 14 seasons as The Score’s Bears reporter and sideline reporter on game broadcasts for Entercom sister stations WBBM-AM 780 and WCFS-FM 105.9, indicated he would prefer to be interviewed closer to Cubs spring training. He said Wednesday via Twitter that he is “excited to join the Cubs broadcast team” and “extremely grateful for my time covering the Bears,” which he called “quite the journey.”

As for the impetus to upend The Score’s two biggest reporting beats — a change affecting game-day broadcasts for both the Cubs’ and Bears’ flagship stations — Rosen has said only that he felt it was time for a change.

The switch was announced less than 24 hours after the Bears introduced Matt Nagy as their new coach and almost four months after the Bears renewed their rights deal with WBBM, their radio home since 2000.

“The best part of this is both Zach and Mark are terrific people,” Rosen said. “For Zach, it gives him an opportunity to work in baseball and travel full time with the Cubs. For Mark, he will cover what could be an exciting year with a new coach and do sideline reports on WBBM during games. I look at it as a win-win for everyone.”

Zaidman will continue to report on the coaching comings and goings as Nagy assembles his staff, and he’ll keep doing “Bears All-Access” through the end of this month.

But after calling Friday night’s DePaul-Providence basketball game, Zaidman also is scheduled to work a three-hour shift beginning at noon Saturday from the Cubs Convention. Eventually he’ll make his way to spring training in Arizona.

The Cubs open their 2018 season in about 11 weeks in Miami.

“My offseason just got extended,” Grote said. “I was getting ready to go to work, and now I’ve got even more free time than I thought, and for the first time in three or four years I’ll have a summer.”

Grote enjoyed terrific rapport with Cubs announcers Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer, but baseball broadcasts are less regimented than pro football.

Whether he’ll have the opportunity to be as loose with Bears voices Jeff Joniak and Tom Thayer while weathering rain and snow, or even as he reports on the team during the week from Halas Hall, is an open question.

“It probably will be difficult, but to be honest with you, I thought it would be difficult with the Cubs too,” Grote said. “I’m going to try my hardest to be myself. I know I can’t always make a joke out of everything, but I can’t help but be myself. I hope that (humor) will come through in a non-forced way. … If I lose that, I lose myself, so I hope there’s room.”

Oof. That's just a great big oof.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next