It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yep. I figured it out. Here's my reasoning.

1. There is no way somebody at WBBM or WSCR said, "Hey we need to make a switch". Why would they care or even think to make a change? Things are going well. Grote was good with the Cubs. And Zack just got the stupid sound at Halas Hall and apologized for the Bears.

2. Pat is powerful and like somebody mentioned, didn't get Grote's humor. Didn't like that he would out shine him at times. I don't think he liked Grote. Pat has an ego. In fact, I remember Rozner once saying a few years ago that Pat didn't want the pre/post game guy doing "play by play" in the inning he took off. That was his call. That's why it's always been the color guy doing it. The athlete does it instead of the pro broadcaster. Which doesn't make sense. But it's because Pat knows the athlete is no threat where the pre/post guy might be a threat.

3. Zack is a classic broadcasting type with no personality. Which is what Pat wants. Not a Grote type with a personality.

Boom!!! There it is. (Drops the mic)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:16 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Beardown wrote:
In fact, I remember Rozner once saying a few years ago that Pat didn't want the pre/post game guy doing "play by play" in the inning he took off. That was his call. That's why it's always been the color guy doing it.

You remembered wrong: Andy Masur, Cory Provus, and Judd Sirott all did pregame, postgame, and limited play-by-play.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Beardown wrote:
Yep. I figured it out. Here's my reasoning.

1. There is no way somebody at WBBM or WSCR said, "Hey we need to make a switch". Why would they care or even think to make a change? Things are going well. Grote was good with the Cubs. And Zack just got the stupid sound at Halas Hall and apologized for the Bears.

2. Pat is powerful and like somebody mentioned, didn't get Grote's humor. Didn't like that he would out shine him at times. I don't think he liked Grote. Pat has an ego. In fact, I remember Rozner once saying a few years ago that Pat didn't want the pre/post game guy doing "play by play" in the inning he took off. That was his call. That's why it's always been the color guy doing it. The athlete does it instead of the pro broadcaster. Which doesn't make sense. But it's because Pat knows the athlete is no threat where the pre/post guy might be a threat.

3. Zack is a classic broadcasting type with no personality. Which is what Pat wants. Not a Grote type with a personality.

Boom!!! There it is. (Drops the mic)

I think it may be time to change your meds, big guy...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:22 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:
In fact, I remember Rozner once saying a few years ago that Pat didn't want the pre/post game guy doing "play by play" in the inning he took off. That was his call. That's why it's always been the color guy doing it.

You remembered wrong: Andy Masur, Cory Provus, and Judd Sirott all did pregame, postgame, and limited play-by-play.

Well, maybe since Keith Moreland got there then. Because Moreland did play by play. Coomer does it now. And Rozner did say this a few years ago.

And the only reason the other guys did it was because Ron Santo was an idiot and couldn't do it. Pat knew that. Or maybe Santo refused to do it.

Hughes forced Grote out. Believe it or don't. But if you don't believe it, you're wrong. It's the only logical explanation.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Grote getting his girlfriend pregnant would be an equally plausible reason.

Although I tend to agree with you on this one, which frightens me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
I couldn't see Grote getting his girlfriend pregnant and not at least announcing an engagement or (shotgun) wedding.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:50 pm 

spmack wrote:
I couldn't see Grote getting his girlfriend pregnant and not at least announcing an engagement or (shotgun) wedding.

Yeah, he's not Wayne Randazzo.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:58 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:

Goff: Damn right!!!! On the engagement part. Not the wedding part, playa.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Curious Hair wrote:
spmack wrote:

Yeah, he's not Wayne Randazzo.

Ouch. That's true?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
If not Hughes , something happened behind the scenes to cause this. No way was this Grotes call to walk away from this . Someone wanted him to not do this any longer .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:16 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
If not Hughes , something happened behind the scenes to cause this. No way was this Grotes call to walk away from this . Someone wanted him to not do this any longer .

Yeah and no one wants ZZ

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:19 pm 

RFDC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Yeah and no one wants ZZ

Only thing that makes sense is if for some reason the Cub wanted someone in that role who has no chance of ever impregnating a woman.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Yeah and no one wants ZZ

Only thing that makes sense is if for some reason the Cub wanted someone in that role who has no chance of ever impregnating a woman.

So it was either ZZ or IMU ....tough one

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:25 pm 

They’re saving the IMU card for when Theo leaves

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
What are the chances ZZ wanted a change and pulled the longevity with the 670 team card?

Reviewed tweets, and Grote has been more Bear centric since the end of baseball. Has more Mirotic retweets from KJ than he does anything on WCUB. Almost as though he knew this was coming. Question is did he push for exit, or someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
If beni puts on his Dr. Ken thinking cap, one must ask 'Who is the stronger branch of the LOHO mentoring tree?' ZZ

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:29 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
What are the chances ZZ wanted a change and pulled the longevity with the 670 team card?

Reviewed tweets, and Grote has been more Bear centric since the end of baseball. Has more Mirotic retweets from KJ than he does anything on WCUB. Almost as though he knew this was coming. Question is did he push for exit, or someone else.

They might have told him after the Cubs season was over and said the move wouldn’t be made until Zaidman was finished with the Bears this year. That timing makes sense.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:33 pm 
1000 CLUB

badrogue17 wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

They might have told him after the Cubs season was over and said the move wouldn’t be made until Zaidman was finished with the Bears this year. That timing makes sense.

Why the hell would the SCORE care about what ZZ wanted? What card would ZZ have?

ZZ: I want the Cubs job or else!!!!

SCORE: Or else what?

ZZ: Ummmmm, nothing. Don't be mad at me. Can I still have the Bears?

SCORE: Exactly. Get the fuck out of here, Red

No way it's a ZZ power play because he has no power.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

Hughes to Grote....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfxBUTJeD_M

Last edited by Beardown on Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
The bigger picture here is who is actually running the station. The person who has a show on week nights and weekends. That is right, Julie Dicaro. Grote must of crossed her. Maybe not of bought her that last diet dew in the vending machine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The only thing worse than Zaidman covering the Bears is Zaidman covering the Cubs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Pat knows the "color guy" is gonna be bad at the play by play for the one inning. And it's accepted by everybody because it's the dumb jock doing it. The last thing Pat wanted was to hear the pre and post guy do it because people might think he's better then him.

Also, Pat might have heard from a lot of Cubs fans that they liked Grote. Pat didn't like that Grote had become popular. That didn't sit well with him. So he talked to Cubs brass and they got Grote the hell out of there.

Making the switch to the bland, no personality, cookie-cutter-broadcaster, Zack Zaidman. Somebody that Pat would be comfortable with. Because no Cubs fan is ever gonna say they like Zack. Nobody likes Zack. That's how Pat wants it. Just like nobody really liked the pre and post guys before Grote. They were that bland type as well.

We have always heard stories about how Harry Caray was a dick to his fellow broadcasters. Pat Hughes learned this from Harry. Pat worked with Harry for a few years. Pat thinks he's a mad man like Harry and can pull these power moves like Harry did. Harry got a few guys fired. I'll bet Keith Moreland was let go because Pat didn't like him.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:42 pm 

Pat learned a hell of a lot more from Bob Uecker than he ever did from Harry Caray, but you know what, just roll.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:45 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Pat learned a hell of a lot more from Bob Uecker than he ever did from Harry Caray, but you know what, just roll.

He learned the good side from Uecker and the evil side from Harry.

I'm talking about the politics of it. Not the broadcasting.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
Beardown wrote:
Pat knows the "color guy" is gonna be bad at the play by play for the one inning. And it's accepted by everybody because it's the dumb jock doing it. The last thing Pat wanted was to hear the pre and post guy do it because people might think he's better then him.

Also, Pat might have heard from a lot of Cubs fans that they liked Grote. Pat didn't like that Grote had become popular. That didn't sit well with him. So he talked to Cubs brass and they got Grote the hell out of there.

Making the switch to the bland, no personality, cookie-cutter-broadcaster, Zack Zaidman. Somebody that Pat would be comfortable with. Because no Cubs fan is ever gonna say they like Zack. Nobody likes Zack. That's how Pat wants it. Just like nobody really liked the pre and post guys before Grote. They were that bland type as well.

We have always heard stories about how Harry Caray was a dick to his fellow broadcasters. Pat Hughes learned this from Harry. Pat worked with Harry for a few years. Pat thinks he's a mad man like Harry and can pull these power moves like Harry did. Harry got a few guys fired. I'll bet Keith Moreland was let go because Pat didn't like him.

Open question to Mac - You once stated that Beardown is more accurate than we realize at times. How close is he with this post? I miss Grote on Cubs' broadcasts. I've never been a ZZ guy and he was tolerable with the Bears stuff. However, ZZ is way too much with the Cubs thing. How about it, Mac? Did Beardown nail this one?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:39 am 

Word on the mean streets of the Twitterverse is that noted company drone Crane Kenney wasn’t the biggest fan of how Grote fit in the broadcast and made a call to Mitch.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:41 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Word on the mean streets of the Twitterverse is that noted company drone Crane Kenney wasn’t the biggest fan of how Grote fit in the broadcast and made a call to Mitch.

That's unfortunate. Thanks, br. I like Pat & Mark and enjoyed the broadcasts better before ZZ.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:53 am 

Godfella wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

That's unfortunate. Thanks, br. I like Pat & Mark and enjoyed the broadcasts better before ZZ.

Glad to help Peeps.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:54 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Godfella wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Glad to help Peeps.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:15 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I really liked Grote. Too bad good people get screwed in life but that's life. ZZ I haven't got used to yet on the post game. He's like a robot but that's how the Cubs have always liked it post Harry/Steve.