It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:17 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
spmack wrote:
Re: Hatred towards Goff:

I think a lot of the Goff hate comes from the fact that he comes across very cocky, and lets face it: Cocky and smart-assed brothers in media are very disliked. Look at the twitter lines of Bomani Jones, Amin Elhassan, Goff, Vincent Goodwill for starters.

Cocky people are always a target for people trying to bring them down a notch, or two, or three. With Black men in particular, it's about 10 notches. Not saying it's right, I'm just saying what it is.

I think Goff admitted that when he first started at the Score, he carried himself as though he should gone from an intern to hosting within a few months.

Beardown, I believe, is a former employee that Goff (as well as Abbatacola) was probably not too nice to, so he spends his time here as pay back. Talk about a grudge! Let it go, Beardown.

Go figure a DL brother comes off "cocky" huh?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:40 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
spmack wrote:

I think a lot of the Goff hate comes from the fact that he comes across very cocky, and lets face it: Cocky and smart-assed brothers in media are very disliked. Look at the twitter lines of Bomani Jones, Amin Elhassan, Goff, Vincent Goodwill for starters.

Cocky people are always a target for people trying to bring them down a notch, or two, or three. With Black men in particular, it's about 10 notches. Not saying it's right, I'm just saying what it is.

I think Goff admitted that when he first started at the Score, he carried himself as though he should gone from an intern to hosting within a few months.

Beardown, I believe, is a former employee that Goff (as well as Abbatacola) was probably not too nice to, so he spends his time here as pay back. Talk about a grudge! Let it go, Beardown.

There it is !!!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:04 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
spmack puttin’ it right there on the table for ya. Here it is. (Uncontrollable giggling and console pounding)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why are you guys so giddy at the prospect of Goff losing his job? He seems like a good guy who made the mistake of making a show that him and Bernstein wanted to listen to rather than what the listeners wanted to listen to.

I still can't believe that they stopped things like WYC and Friday Fung and replaced it with um, Thunder and Celtics talk?

For me I am not giddy as that would be a bad deal for Goff and his budding family. I do not want him to be in that slot any longer or I would like him to revamp himself and the show in some major way.

I liked Goff as a producer and I liked him with Spiegs well enough. I think whatever it was he has done to change himself in this new incarnation with Bernsie was a miscalculation.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:33 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nas wrote:
Because he's a brother in a primetime spot who pulled himself up by his Timberland laces. #1956

Don't be a goof. Many of us would take your cousin or whatever he is to you in a second in that position.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:40 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
pittmike wrote:
I liked him with Spiegs well enough. I think whatever it was he has done to change himself in this new incarnation with Bernsie was a miscalculation.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Why are you guys so giddy at the prospect of Goff losing his job? He seems like a good guy who made the mistake of making a show that him and Bernstein wanted to listen to rather than what the listeners wanted to listen to.

I still can't believe that they stopped things like WYC and Friday Fung and replaced it with um, Thunder and Celtics talk?

WYC is probably the worst segment in sports radio history. It narrowly edges out my wife or my radio partner.

Well it got big ratings and a lot of discussion for years.

But replacing it with a discussion of what is on tv tonight was better I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
People change. You loved Goff five years ago? Great. He's not that person any more though.

Not everyone can handle success well. It's not uncommon for people to become sensitive and unrelatable once they feel like they have "made it". I'm not sure it can really be remedied either. People like that tend to take criticism from "haters" as validation.

I stopped listening when the show become Objectively Bad a year ago, and judging from people's comments it's only getting worse. There is zero chance they fire him. So my advice is do the same, you've got other options.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:29 am 

America wrote:
People change. You loved Goff five years ago? Great. He's not that person any more though.

Not everyone can handle success well. It's not uncommon for people to become sensitive and unrelatable once they feel like they have "made it". I'm not sure it can really be remedied either. People like that tend to take criticism from "haters" as validation.

I stopped listening when the show become Objectively Bad a year ago, and judging from people's comments it's only getting worse. There is zero chance they fire him. So my advice is do the same, you've got other options.

Sounds like there’s somethin’ else goin’ on

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:32 am 

America wrote:

I understand if the show isn't for you. The hate is strange. Nas and spmack probably explained why though.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
spmack wrote:

interesting take/... makes sense since BD level of hate for both of these people goes beyond what could possibly be generated purely by consuming their on air work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
For those Goffaphiles out there, what does he bring to the table? I can't think of a single thing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:05 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:

I understand if the show isn't for you. The hate is strange. Nas and spmack probably explained why though.

:lol: :lol: Yeah saying people dont like him because he’s a cocky black guy seems solid .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:27 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
BBFOREVER wrote:
All I know is the SCORE is going to start doing everything they can to relate to a younger demo.

You mean like giving Mac a major role at the station so he can seduce a younger generation with extended meditations on UFO's greatest hits, the greatness of Bill Melton, and pricey Canadian fishing expeditions?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:33 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

For me I am not giddy as that would be a bad deal for Goff and his budding family. I do not want him to be in that slot any longer or I would like him to revamp himself and the show in some major way.

I liked Goff as a producer and I liked him with Spiegs well enough. I think whatever it was he has done to change himself in this new incarnation with Bernsie was a miscalculation.

MANY feel the need to try to emulate Bernstein and it always comes of bad. I don't listen often but it usually sounds like he is still trying to find his comfort zone. #BeYourself

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Tall Midget wrote:
BBFOREVER wrote:
All I know is the SCORE is going to start doing everything they can to relate to a younger demo.

You mean like giving Mac a major role at the station so he can seduce a younger generation with extended meditations on UFO's greatest hits, the greatness of Bill Melton, and pricey Canadian fishing expeditions?

And Ashley Fires. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
So, all the stars of the heyday are gone (Boers, Mac, Jiggs, Nort), except for a role player or three, and one of those guys is completely different than what he used to be. The former bit players who have been moved to starting roles have not found mass success, and the one free agent brought in of late is okay, but not an all-star, either. Meanwhile, the whole medium is nose-diving as far as revenue is concerned, which makes the chance of bringing in a few established free agents from other markets improbable.

Sounds more like Chicago is headed for one sports station rather than three.

Now, THAT is major programming changes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

MANY feel the need to try to emulate Bernstein and it always comes of bad. I don't listen often but it usually sounds like he is still trying to find his comfort zone. #BeYourself

I like Goff. Always have. He's the same guy now that showed up to Hoops @ Hiawatha 2. Good guy.

The difference to me is the open mic. Previously, he was producing, playing drops, et al and chimed in, then his mic went off. I think it's his laugh. I really do. It seems like he laughs at everything, and that makes it less funny. When Dan cracks up, it sounds genuine. Replay the Bourbonnais show, where they played the "putting on the ritz" drop from Young Frankenstein. Terry had a short laugh, although he started to laugh at things at the end that were not funny too. When you laugh at stuff that's really not funny, it begins to wear. It seems like a put on.

Terry had a habit of coming up with funny catchphrases, original things. Jason in fact will often parrot Terry-isms, "in the old country, we call it (fill in the blank)", etc. Jason hasn't figured out completely what's unique to him.

I still listen. I still like the show. I think it needs to be a three man booth. I really really like Herron. I like Grote. And if he was put in the right air space, I really like Goff.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:53 am 

pizza_Place: ....
spmack wrote:

Its not that. People would hate-listen if it was that.

For some reason, the guys who care the most about looking cool are the least cool.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:22 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
City of Fools wrote:
And if he was put in the right air space, I really like Goff.

Panther pislA wrote:
For some reason, the guys who care the most about looking cool are the least cool.

pretty much both of these. i don't doubt the dude's got some skills, but his whole "voice of the community" gimmick is absolute bullshit (as i pointed out in a damaneel thread the other day) and then i can tell you that when dude saw me sitting at a bourbonnais 09 remote he was bugging me nonstop like he wanted to vampire my heat or something. then when i try to give the guy some internet attention it's like he's status tripping on me like hes gotta show off to everyone that he's big daddy goff and i'm some little bitch? weird shit. then he has his little bitch army here (spmack) start calling me stan and talking about ethering me? in what fucking reality are we talking about? you met me once in my life and i walked away a bit creeped out, and i'm kind of the internet's most superhero and now it's like some halfwit radio hostess cupcake motherfucker is gonna start dictating terms to me?

lol dude, you're trying too hard. remember when i called you out for preaching about chicks on their twitter with their tits hanging out and went LOL HIS LITTLE SISTER IS DOING THE SAME THING? i messaged hrrb on facebook and she had a shirt on in her avatar with a day. i get things done, meanwhile you just go on the air and bloviate bullshit that, "thanks for reading" - father of the year, people can see through, you fucking dumbshit.

go back to being jason from evanston and not being JASON 1 GOFF like seriously you got a 1 in between your name like that cock you wish you had inside you, boy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
America wrote:

So tired of the, "if you don't like someone and he/she happens to be black, you are a racist." :roll:

Goff sucks. He sucked in ATL and he sucks in CHI. End of story.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Tall Midget wrote:
BBFOREVER wrote:

Young people don't listen to the radio, so not sure appealing to them will help ratings. Do they think 23 year olds are tuning it for the 10:30 a.m. update to find out if the Bulls won the night before? IMO doing this will lead to less listeners in the key demo. Appeal to that as long as you can before you pack it in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
BBFOREVER wrote:

And Ashley Fires. :wink:

The pornstar? Blonde? Big Butt?

What's the story there

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 pm 

Mac was a big fan of hers. Had her on the air I think? Made numerous references.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:11 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
City of Fools wrote:
Nas wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I like Goff. Always have. He's the same guy now that showed up to Hoops @ Hiawatha 2. Good guy.

The difference to me is the open mic. Previously, he was producing, playing drops, et al and chimed in, then his mic went off. I think it's his laugh. I really do. It seems like he laughs at everything, and that makes it less funny. When Dan cracks up, it sounds genuine. Replay the Bourbonnais show, where they played the "putting on the ritz" drop from Young Frankenstein. Terry had a short laugh, although he started to laugh at things at the end that were not funny too. When you laugh at stuff that's really not funny, it begins to wear. It seems like a put on.

Terry had a habit of coming up with funny catchphrases, original things. Jason in fact will often parrot Terry-isms, "in the old country, we call it (fill in the blank)", etc. Jason hasn't figured out completely what's unique to him.

I still listen. I still like the show. I think it needs to be a three man booth. I really really like Herron. I like Grote. And if he was put in the right air space, I really like Goff.

I'm not saying that he isn't a good guy. I'm just saying that he often sounds like he's trying to force something that isn't natural. Maybe it's the kid and the pressure that often comes with that. I just believe that if you are going to fail it's better to go out doing it your way.

I think some of the criticism of him is over the top but that's probably the case for every Score host.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Jason wants to be Amin Elhassan.
Dan wants to be Tim Russert.
Neither are close.
It makes for bad radio.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
It's not going to happen, but the ideal way to use Mac is the way in which Lebatard and Stugotz use Greg Cote (and previously, Stan Van Gundy), as a one day a week full show in-studio co-host. Let Mac do that on Wednesdays (and maybe Wednesdays/Fridays during the NFL season), host a show on Sundays, have time off to go to cottage, and sell a few cars at Webb.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
What was The DePaul Incident?

Dan used to do play-by-play for DePaul basketball. At the same time, he was making pederasty jokes about Catholic priests. DePaul told him to stop making jokes about pederast priests, Dan kept making them, and then they fired Dan from play-by-play.

He's mentioned his initial goal was to eventually go to law school. Has he ever mentioned play-by-play as his 2nd choice career goal given his CBA and DePaul gigs? I believe he said he initially never intended to have the Score be his career. Or was DePaul just the result of desiring unlabeled wine money and being employed by the Score?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

WYC is probably the worst segment in sports radio history. It narrowly edges out my wife or my radio partner.

Well it got big ratings and a lot of discussion for years.

But replacing it with a discussion of what is on tv tonight was better I guess.

It was. I’ll take boring over actively bad and cringeworthy.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
It was. I’ll take boring over actively bad and cringeworthy.

No.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 490 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 17  Next