It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:51 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hussra wrote:
Always wondered how a guy who would've been in his 40's when the song circulated picked up on a mostly unsuccessful Westchester, NY goof punk band's ode to twentysomething homelessness that happens when your parents sell their million dollar home and move into a condo.

He probably just went across the hall and asked Johnny Mars "what's a song that has 'bums' in it"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I'll give my condolences a la Les.

Very sad "situation". You were a "great guy" . RIP "per se".

Les had about a dozen "wack pack" callers who were persona non grata during regular hours. Very wonderful guys who would never get on the air if not for Les. Les would interrupt them constantly. But, they never stopped calling. Those are the people I want to hear what they have to say.

I never called the show. But Les would respond back to my texts. We'd talk about various stuff. Boner pills, if Seka was hot, Bernstein, Steve & Garry. I challenged him why he'd cut off irate Cubs fans, or be more opinionated about the Cubs. He texted back he had to or he'd get in trouble.

I've got about 70 clips of Les' misspeaks, prank calls, not knowing the meaning of words, and goof ups that bring me a lot of laughter.

Les read this thread and I spoke unfiltered as always to bust his balls.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
dayum, sounds like Les was almost family to you, at least you have those clips and maybe the Score has podcasts of Les' show still up on the web.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:45 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
vitoscotti wrote:

Les had about a dozen "wack pack" callers who were persona non grata during regular hours. Very wonderful guys who would never get on the air if not for Les. Les would interrupt them constantly. But, they never stopped calling. Those are the people I want to hear what they have to say.

I never called the show. But Les would respond back to my texts. We'd talk about various stuff. Boner pills, if Seka was hot, Bernstein, Steve & Garry. I challenged him why he'd cut off irate Cubs fans, or be more opinionated about the Cubs. He texted back he had to or he'd get in trouble.

I've got about 70 clips of Les' misspeaks, prank calls, not knowing the meaning of words, and goof ups that bring me a lot of laughter.

And there you have it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
vitoscotti wrote:

Ya Vito - from your posts here through the years we can all tell you had a close relationship with Les and most in the radio biz. It's nice of you to keep Les relevant these last few years.

He will surely be missed. I liked what clawmaster said too about Les understanding it was all entertainment and never took any of the ribbing personally. He was really a sweet soul. Man this really sucks to hear about his passing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:32 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:39 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:

Murph alluded to something on Fred's podcast last week. I think this may have been one of those things.

I wonder when Murph and Boers were battling cancer if they had health coverage from the score had to pay it out of pocket.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:40 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Murph alluded to something on Fred's podcast last week. I think this may have been one of those things.

I wonder when Murph and Boers were battling cancer if they had health coverage from the score had to pay it out of pocket.

One thing to remember - health insurance covers you when you are sick. Life Insurance is meant more for burial costs. Employers are not required to provide that for you and it is typically an additional cost to the employee. Unless Les was considered a contractor, he likely had health insurance. (and at his age probably had Medicare to boot)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Johnny B on now.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:23 pm 

David Schuster & George Ofman both talking about Les would sleep in his car a lot covering games out of town rather than pony up for a hotel room.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Les should have been responsible and had a life insurance policy for at least burial expenses. But on twitter many people are saying how radio is the absolute worst pay job for vast majority

This is yet another example. The perks of watching sporting events and being on the radio are nice, but outside of a small few, it is extremely low paying.

You get why so many do so many gigs, other jobs on the side.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:57 am 

Les broadcasting from home had a lot of delayed starts, and technical difficulties. One night in the background of CBS radio (when the show couldn't start up) you could hear Les saying Mitch & Shane wouldn't return his calls.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:24 pm 

David Schuster had a tribute to Les on his podcast. Lots of guests each on around 5 minutes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_Q6FQEbao

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:34 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
David Schuster had a tribute to Les on his podcast. Lots of guests each on around 5 minutes.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QM_Q6FQEbao

Watching this superbly done video all the way through a few interesting things.

Mac controlled his anger how the Score screwed Les.

Kenny McReynolds saying Les looked ill as far back as during the Bears/Giants game.

Only Score current guy invited was Esposito. Conspicuously absent Mitch Rosen.

Les asked Kathy to go to spring training with him their second meeting.

Les not liking German soldiers.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:27 am 

I really do love the little told story that Les was a cocksman. The guy found at least three women to marry him over the years with more pounding on the door even on his way out. It obviously wasn't for his money, his good looks, his celebrity or the fancy places he could take them. That really only leaves open the possibility that Les was carrying around a third leg. Word obviously traveled because the ladies were lining up to take a ride on space mountain.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
good dolphin wrote:
I really do love the little told story that Les was a cocksman. The guy found at least three women to marry him over the years with more pounding on the door even on his way out. It obviously wasn't for his money, his good looks, his celebrity or the fancy places he could take them. That really only leaves open the possibility that Les was carrying around a third leg. Word obviously traveled because the ladies were lining up to take a ride on space mountain.

He more or less (no pun intended) admitted this on with Mac and Parkins.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:59 am 

pittmike wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

He more or less (no pun intended) admitted this on with Mac and Parkins.

:lol: Yep and he said that sex was his vice

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:37 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Dahl put up his Les tribute show with Tom Thayer on his free podcast feed, I guess to mark the 1 month anniversary of Les passing

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:56 pm 

I believe at WLS when Steve & Garry walked out or were fired Les was forced to host their show that day. It was a disaster, of course

Dahl was very complimentary of Les after he passed away.
But, after a Blackhawks title Dahl was irate a guy he looked down at Les was allowed on-ice for postgame player interviews but Dahl wasn't. Dahl talked about it multiple times his next show.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:36 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Les found a good one with Kathy. I just can't imagine how that relationship would work with Les traveling everywhere and staying up all night.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:03 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
blackhawksfan wrote:
Les found a good one with Kathy. I just can't imagine how that relationship would work with Les traveling everywhere and staying up all night.

He did take a good amount of vacations with her, so they probably had some good quality time where he wasn't distracted with work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:07 am 

Funny reading Twitter posts praising Les' sports expertise. Les' forte was how unpolished, mechanically repetitive, and the boring sports radio he created, until one of his many screw-ups occurred, or he got into an argument with one of his mental midget "wack-pack" callers. There are no archives of Les having great sports insight because it didn't happen. Les' most recent "stellar" sports takes were calling Jason Heyward a top 20 all-time (on field production) Cub, and calling Aaron Rodgers a pathologist liar who was as honest as Al Capone. Les creating wonderful unintentional comedy is greatly missed. But, there's nothing really to be missed of his actual sports insight.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
blackhawksfan wrote:

my favorite one of those nights was one of those nights where he started circa 1030-11 after a postgame broadcast, did the show until 5am, then drove up to milwaukee to get in the clubhouse because the dodgers were up there and he wanted to talk to manny ramirez about his eventual move to the white sox. it's so easy to forget that manny ramirez was on the white sox for a part of a season. shit didnt the sox have ken griffey jr at one point too?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Not sure if this was already posted but Les died of Rona!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:29 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
Not sure if this was already posted but Les died of Rona!

BULLSHIT. Who is this person posting this?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:46 pm 

Didn't get medical attention apparently at the end that was urged by friends. The tweets sound accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:22 am 

Occasionally I check the rewind feature and it appears weekday overnights the Score has gone "best of" playing reruns of interviews from the past day. Les couldn't get many phone calls. His replacements barely could get any. The charm of Les' show was how inept and paranoid he was with his loyal following of oddball wack pack callers making radio magic creating screwups, and bloopers.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Is Grote still doing overnights or did that fizzle out?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
les' old slot has swirsky's name all over it. would love to hear his old wcfl theme, elo's 'fire on high' firing up at midnight.

not sure the swirsk would want those hours and he's the bulls guy anyways. grote is ok in bits and pieces, not for a full show.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:31 am 

Grote & Rongey died overnights. I'd think Score overnights would be slumming for lead pbp man Swirsky. David Schuster got tons of great calls when he filled in for Les.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 243 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next