It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Saw a spmack post in the McNeil & Parkins section about not listening to much sports talk radio anymore, and I realized that I'm in the same boat, I went from being able to listen straight through the lineup whenever I could and trying to make time daily to listen to as much of The Score as I could, to now driving with the radio off more often than not and listening to podcasts while I'm on the range. And given how often the shows get posted about here nowadays, I'm guessing MANY are as well.

So my question is a simple one: Why?

Starting with me...I guess I just don't find it (in general, not just specifically any show) compelling enough to sit through 5-minute commercial breaks while I'm at the gym when I could be listening to Carolla crack wise. Maybe some of that loss of interest is due to being pushed away by the late political turn of B&B and later B&G literally telling me not to listen, but I can't honestly say that's all of it, because while they put on a better show than the previous afternoon drive show, I don't find McNeil & Parkins to be all that compelling, either.

It could also be the management-friendly tone taken up by MANY. If every time I tune in I hear a host telling me "everything is going to be fine" with a second-place Cubs team that was supposed to be a perennial World Series contender, I'm either going to call bullshit an not listen, or think "hey, everything is going to be fine, guess there's no reason to listen any more until the postseason" and turn off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:40 am 

yea, its commercials for me. unbearable, except for short trips in the car where firing up a podcast is not worth the time.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
See, I don't really mind commercials. As I mostly listen during the work day now it provides natural breaks for me to switch up my daily tasks etc.

The main reason I do not listen as much i.e. early morning or evenings is I simply have other stuff to do. The other stuff usually also involves other people that do not want to hear that crap.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
1. ads
2. I was told not to listen, so I stopped.
3. I no longer drive 11 hours a day

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
I checked out during the Social Justice Radio era...and it seems like whenever I try to go back, they're talking about something I don't give a shit about (NBA, Cubs, Fantasy Sports), so I PTFB.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:52 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I'm just not as invested as I used to be in sports. I used to plan my Sundays around Bears kickoffs and watch a least parts of most night Sox games. I just don't have the time nor do I care to invest that much time into sports. Also I've gotten married, have a house, golf more than I did a few years ago, so all of those things take up time. With a baby on the way, I imagine I will have even less time to devote to sports and sports radio.

I still listen when I'm in the car, but almost never stream or listen when I'm at home.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Pisa Pizza, Countryside
I can put up with the commercials if I am entertained; I feel like I have more entertaining options with my free time. With twitch and podcasts, there are more options that people can relate to better than with radio. Radio has to cater to a wide audience, other platforms do not...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I'm just not as invested as I used to be in sports. I used to plan my Sundays around Bears kickoffs and watch a least parts of most night Sox games. I just don't have the time nor do I care to invest that much time into sports. Also I've gotten married, have a house, golf more than I did a few years ago, so all of those things take up time. With a baby on the way, I imagine I will have even less time to devote to sports and sports radio.

I still listen when I'm in the car, but almost never stream or listen when I'm at home.

I must’ve missed where you said you guys were expecting. Congratulations Frank!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Last couple years of B&B killed sports radio for me.

Went from listening basically all day from inception of the Score to nothing now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Podcasts got us accustomed to listening to talk ad free or at least with just a few limited ad reads.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Listen to probably 90% of the amount of sports talk I always have, only a little less sports because I'm so old that I sometimes stop on WGN when I'm flipping during commercial breaks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
listening to podcasts while I'm on the range. .

Last edited by good dolphin on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
A. All the shows blow
B. I don't care that much about sports anymore as my top 3 teams (Sox, Bulls, Bears) have sucked for so long.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I always assumed it was because of Trump

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:09 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
I think MANY here are listening less due to any combination of:
    - getting old(er)
    - having less time (I once knew a spice merchant named Les Thyme) to devote to listening regularly
    - the shows not being what they used to be - naughty, funny, non-corporate pablum
    - feline AIDS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 am 

I do listen in the mornings.

When I found myself muttering at my radio on my afternoon commute I knew I had enough of listening to afternoons. I don't get turned off by SJW radio. It was the incessant corporate cheerleading, smart radio preaching and listener disrespecting that pushed me elsewhere. This was not limited only to afternoon drive.

I do think the character of the station has changed for the better but the relationship is damaged to the point that the Score has to win me back.

I also don't listen when I exercise as one of my boys has taken up going out with me so we talk.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:44 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I've not listened to radio in general for a long time.

And sports talk national talk show wise really sucks. I'll listen to Rome from time to time but his act is old.

For the score or am1000, I will listen to only podcasts due to the time difference but even w/ that, there is hardly any originality from these hosts anymore. No real personalities. most of them are just carbon copies of themselves.

Get some young and hungry new guys with passion and maybe I'll take a chance.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:46 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
I checked out during the Social Justice Radio era...and it seems like whenever I try to go back, they're talking about something I don't give a shit about (NBA, Cubs, Fantasy Sports), so I PTFB.

I think this sums it up for me. It started with the Penn State bullshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
HawaiiYou wrote:

Get some young and hungry new guys with passion and maybe I'll take a chance.

Given your Murph obsession, I'm calling bullshit on this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Like several other people, I'm just not as interested in sports as I used to be. Football is still my favorite, but I don't even watch that as much as I used to. No sports or athletes, of course, seem bigger than life like they did when I was a kid, but at this point there are often other things to do that are more interesting to me than sports at this point.

Other reasons I don't listen as much as I used to:

1. Hosts like Rongey, Abbattacola, Finfer, and Shepkowski (only one is still on the air) who seem annoyed at having to host a sport-talk radio show. A caller would want to about something and their repsonse would be "Does it really matter?" or "It doesn't matter." If it doesn't matter, why the hell am I listening to your show?

2. The rise of VERY. IMPORTANT. RADIO. Either go be a legitimate journalist or go do something that actually makes a difference in people's lives. This mainly applies to Bernstein but also to guys like Speigel, Parkins, and Goff who would "just have to say ____" and address the latest social or political issue. I know where to go to find that type of talk and I would not expect the people who host those shows to give me their opinions on the Bears or Cubs.

3. The rise of VERY. SMART. FANS. Players and coaches don't think you're cool or "one of them" because you say "mesh point." A more in-depth understanding of what we're watching is OK, but Matt Miller (Is that the guy who used to be on with B&B who sounded like Buffone?) attempting to whiteboard plays on the radio is bad radio. I am not interested in prolonged discussion of advanced metrics as they relate to any sport. Get off my lawn.

4. The fetishization of the NBA, it's players, and coaches. It's bizarre and I don't get it.

5. Between podcasts, Pandora, Spotify, etc., there are lots of other options.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
    --The Sox suck
    --I feel like I'm being talked down to
    --They don't talk much college football
    --i don't give a shit about the Twitter feed
    --No longer funny!!!
    --The one cool black guy the Score had, they got rid of....though LoHo is ok at times
    --Too many upper middle class twits
    --Not many hosts are good with callers
    --Conor McKnight has no reason to exist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
I listen a little during the football season. Otherwise I dont listen at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
tommy wrote:
    --The Sox suck
    --No longer funny!!!
    --The one cool black guy the Score had, they got rid of....though LoHo is ok at times

Why do you think he's "cool"? Why would his race matter to you? Doesn't that seem to be pandering at best?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:01 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Last couple years of B&B killed sports radio for me.

Went from listening basically all day from inception of the Score to nothing now.

Same.

Terry even gave up baseball talk. All he would say about baseball is that "Yup, I, I, I enjoy it ."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:04 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
tommy wrote:
    --The Sox suck
    --No longer funny!!!

Why do you think he's "cool"? Why would his race matter to you? Doesn't that seem to be pandering at best?

Ruffie: I'm talking about J. Hood. :D

I think Hood is a good sports talker, but I also appreciate his perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:08 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
It could also be the management-friendly tone taken up by MANY. If every time I tune in I hear a host telling me "everything is going to be fine" with a second-place Cubs team that was supposed to be a perennial World Series contender, I'm either going to call bullshit an not listen, or think "hey, everything is going to be fine, guess there's no reason to listen any more until the postseason" and turn off.

Tad Queasy wrote:
1. Hosts like Rongey, Abbattacola, Finfer, and Shepkowski (only one is still on the air) who seem annoyed at having to host a sport-talk radio show. A caller would want to about something and their repsonse would be "Does it really matter?" or "It doesn't matter." If it doesn't matter, why the hell am I listening to your show?

2. The rise of VERY. IMPORTANT. RADIO. Either go be a legitimate journalist or go do something that actually makes a difference in people's lives. This mainly applies to Bernstein but also to guys like Speigel, Parkins, and Goff who would "just have to say ____" and address the latest social or political issue. I know where to go to find that type of talk and I would not expect the people who host those shows to give me their opinions on the Bears or Cubs.

3. The rise of VERY. SMART. FANS. Players and coaches don't think you're cool or "one of them" because you say "mesh point." A more in-depth understanding of what we're watching is OK, but Matt Miller (Is that the guy who used to be on with B&B who sounded like Buffone?) attempting to whiteboard plays on the radio is bad radio. I am not interested in prolonged discussion of advanced metrics as they relate to any sport. Get off my lawn.

The Bernstein tree's attitude of "everything's fine and nothing matters" really kind of undoes the whole premise of the station: we know the shit doesn't really matter. That's the fun of it. If I shouldn't care what's going on, I'll go do something else.

Maybe a bit more subtle here, but I would add that Bernstein's "over the years we've made fans smarter" line is also kind of self-defeating: a great deal of your show is making fun of stupid people. If you have, indeed, made fans smarter, then you don't have grist for the mill anymore because those meatballs aren't there to call in, and now you can't have fun. But if they are still there, then you've failed at making your audience smarter.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:11 am 

tommy wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
tommy wrote:
    --The Sox suck
    --No longer funny!!!

Ruffie: I'm talking about J. Hood. :D

I think Hood is a good sports talker, but I also appreciate his perspective.

J Hood is good. His take downs of the Bulls are better than the actual games. I do think that Parkins is very mediocre. So I get why Goff would be mad that him and McKnight have jobs, but at least Parkins doesn't tell listeners to turn the dial.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:13 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Tad Queasy wrote:

The Bernstein tree's attitude of "everything's fine and nothing matters" really kind of undoes the whole premise of the station: we know the shit doesn't really matter. That's the fun of it. If I shouldn't care what's going on, I'll go do something else.

Maybe a bit more subtle here, but I would add that Bernstein's "over the years we've made fans smarter" line is also kind of self-defeating: a great deal of your show is making fun of stupid people. If you have, indeed, made fans smarter, then you don't have grist for the mill anymore because those meatballs aren't there to call in, and now you can't have fun. But if they are still there, then you've failed at making your audience smarter.

Bernstein is an authoritarian. That's kind of anathema to a call-in show. He always had the propensity to get bitchy, but he useta be funny and smart.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:14 am 

B&B was too good and nothing will ever match up to it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
For me it's the proliferation of quality podcasts. Literally not enough time in the day to listen to everything I want to.

I'll toss on the score for quick car trips or if i'm cleaning my kitchen, but that's about it. Will listen to a podcast or two if someone mentions something on the board or one of my buddies etc.