It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 5:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:07 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
https://www.robertfeder.com/2018/10/23/ ... k-wls-890/

Quote:
Now that classic hits WLS 94.7-FM is riding high in the ratings, and alternative rock WKQX 101.1-FM is looking up, Cumulus Media is finally zeroing in on its chronically underperforming AM station — news/talk WLS 890-AM.

Plans are in the works for a major overhaul of the station’s Monday-through-Friday lineup early next year under operations manager and program director Peter Bolger. Once among the top-rated stations in Chicago, the 50,000-watt AM giant never recovered after the loss of longtime morning star Don Wade, who died in 2013.

In the latest Nielsen Audio survey, WLS ranks 23rd with a 1.7 percent share and cumulative weekly audience of 315,200. Among listeners between 25 and 54 — the group tied most closely to advertising — the station tied for 29th with 0.7 share and 96,000 weekly cume.

The highest rated daypart is middays where syndicated hosts Chris Plante and Rush Limbaugh are in 14th place with a 3.1 share. Mornings, hosted by Big John Howell and Ramblin’ Ray Stevens, are 20th with a 2.1 share. Afternoons, hosted by Steve Dahl, are 25th with a 1.4 share. Evenings, with syndicated hosts Mark Levin, Ben Shapiro and John Batchelor, are 27th with a 1.1 share.

“We’re committed to making all of our stations as strong as we can from a program and product standpoint,” said Marv Nyren, vice president and market manager of Cumulus Chicago. “We’re always looking at ways to upgrade what we have.”

Nyren declined to comment on specific plans, but said WLS would continue its news/talk format with a combination of local and syndicated programs on its revamped weekday schedule. The new lineup is expected to debut in January.

890 can't be saved. Their best shot at it was by pivoting to sports, but they even blew that. May as well flip to brokered ethnic, it's over.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:13 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Dahl said today December 21st is his last day on air, but he would continue the podcast.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:13 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Bummer. I didn't listen much these days but Dahl was a huge influence on me as a yout'.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:30 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
They need a Hannity & Colmes duo in the afternoons or mornings.

Make Levin live. Batchelor is an enjoyable show, lots of history via interviewing authors.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:40 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I hope someone who still works there and is keeping their job doesn't go on a Twitter rant about how they were mistitled in the piece about coworkers getting fired.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:51 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I hope someone who still works there and is keeping their job doesn't go on a Twitter rant about how they were mistitled in the piece about coworkers getting fired.

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:03 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Those Right Wing gas bags are unlistenable.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:01 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Dahl's show has been trash since he went pay podcast. I still think he could be interesting with different sidekicks in the right setting.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:01 am 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Bring back Coast to Coast AM!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:02 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Fuck that, no one wants to listen to George Snoory. Now if they replay some classic Art Bell shows, I'll listen.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
94.7 is the best radio station going right now.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Parts Unknown
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Fuck that, no one wants to listen to George Snoory. Now if they replay some classic Art Bell shows, I'll listen.

I don't need George but I need the schizophrenic and meth head callers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:10 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
ToxicMasculinity wrote:

Best of Coast to Coast from 2-4am would be fine.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:13 pm 

312player wrote:

:lol: :lol:

This is an all-time bad thought.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Douchebag wrote:
312player wrote:

:lol: :lol:

This is an all-time bad thought.

Give it a try b4 ya write it off.. Very few commercials, all 80's

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
FrankDrebin wrote:

Make Levin live. Batchelor is an enjoyable show, lots of history via interviewing authors.

That'd be some duo. Cross him off the list.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:26 pm 

denisdman wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

That'd be some duo. Cross him off the list.

I meant something similar.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Holmes was always Hannity's punching bag.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
When the show first came out, there was a article about the tandem. The article called Colmes, "funerial". And he did kind of look like a skeleton with a thin layer of skin pulled over the bones.

Drebin, yeap, I knew what you meant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
try Midnight in the Desert. art bell started it up as he felt george noory ruined the show. after he died, its been taken over Dave Schraeder who is not as good but decent. The best part is it starts at 11 CT and not midnight. You probably have to stream it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:04 pm 

hnd wrote:
try Midnight in the Desert. art bell started it up as he felt george noory ruined the show. after he died, its been taken over Dave Schraeder who is not as good but decent. The best part is it starts at 11 CT and not midnight. You probably have to stream it.

Dave is pretty good; his Beyond the Darkness podcast is a good listen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Dahl's been unlistenable since he got sober anyway. Remember in his WCKG days when he'd have like 5 sidekicks and there would STILL be 10-second pauses of dead air?

And yeah, 890 can't be saved. AM is already fully dead in most of the country, Chicago is pretty much its last bastion and now the death spiral is in effect here too.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:43 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
And yeah, 890 can't be saved. AM is already fully dead in most of the country, Chicago is pretty much its last bastion and now the death spiral is in effect here too.

Effectively consolidating Cubs baseball and the Score was a deathblow to AM radio here. The ratings show there's almost no reason for WGN without the Cubs.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
It should go to like a vintage hit rock station like 87.7 or whatever the hell that one is. ratings couldn't be any worse and might be better and a lot cheaper.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
FrankDrebin wrote:
hnd wrote:

Dave is pretty good; his Beyond the Darkness podcast is a good listen

like i said, its not substitute for old coast to coast with art, but its pretty good and i like not having to stay up too late. on the weekends i last until 1. and c2c on weekends is terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:36 pm 

Syndication in afternoon drive? Looks like the budget must be...

...a little short.

Quote:
We’ll soon be hearing more of Ben Shapiro on WLS 890-AM, according to insiders. The editor-in-chief of DailyWire.com and conservative commentator, whose hourlong podcast now airs at 9 p.m. weekdays, is expected to host a syndicated afternoon show on the Cumulus Media news/talk station. Starting early in the new year, sources said, he’ll replace afternoon star Steve Dahl, whose last show on WLS airs December 21. Confirmation of the deal could come Monday when Shapiro originates his podcast from WLS studios in Chicago.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
yeesh, they've turned into WIND.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:16 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Syndication in afternoon drive? Looks like the budget must be...

...a little short.

Quote:
We’ll soon be hearing more of Ben Shapiro on WLS 890-AM, according to insiders. The editor-in-chief of DailyWire.com and conservative commentator, whose hourlong podcast now airs at 9 p.m. weekdays, is expected to host a syndicated afternoon show on the Cumulus Media news/talk station. Starting early in the new year, sources said, he’ll replace afternoon star Steve Dahl, whose last show on WLS airs December 21. Confirmation of the deal could come Monday when Shapiro originates his podcast from WLS studios in Chicago.

Did they drastic cut Rush's syndication fees? I recall there being rumors awhile back that he was slated to go as his revenues had fallen, but nothing over the last year.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:21 pm 

Probably just hard-nosed negotiating. Cumulus kept hinting that they were done carrying Rush on their stations and bringing in their own conservative ogres, but then they always ended up sticking with him.

The other half of the story is that John and Ray are out in mornings to make room for yet another whirl for Mancow.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Mancow, again. Wow.