It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
maybe, maybe not. i enjoy it.

the point is he took money broadcasting the sport in the 70's - couldn't wait to tell us how boring it is, once he hit the big-time with baseball. he hit the big-time and now he's hawking his business venture when he's a guest on a baseball talk show. didn't tell me one thing about the cubs.

I've watched more soccer in the last five months than I did in the previous 20 years. HD really helps, and it needs a good announcer and good long range camera work to show how a play is evolving.

The best thing about soccer is no commercial breaks.

Back to Pat, he has no opinion. I think he likes basketball better than baseball, but it doesn't pay the bills.

Since he had his health scare and the Cubs won the WS, he is mailing it in. As much as I like Grote, he can't do even a bad PBP, and with Pat's vocal issues with his throat, they needed someone who could take a few innings if Pat had throat trouble during a game. It sucks, because they could have had Randazzo who is much better than ZZ but he had already gone to the Mets.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
yeah, i agree with you.

just rubbed me the wrong way about him cutting down soccer as boring, when i know he'd make a $19.99 CD about how 1-0 baseball scores are exciting.

- coming soon; $14.99 CD of baseball voice joe buck whining about how his beloved cardinals traded arozarena in 2020.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:25 pm 

If the Cardinals had kept Arozerena he would have sat on the bench while Harrison Bader and Dylan Carlson played. And then died in a DUI crash this off-season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:40 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I think he likes basketball better than baseball, but it doesn't pay the bills.

I suspect this of a lot of hockey broadcasters, that they're in it because it was the path of least resistance to calling major-league sports but would rather be doing football, baseball, or basketball.

I'll never forget one time when I had the Hawks game on the radio. Hawks were on a five-on-three and the opposing team took a third penalty. Wiedeman exclaimed "this could be a five-on-two!" It fell to Troy Murray to explain that no, it couldn't be, it would stay five-on-three and the third penalty clock wouldn't start till the first one elapsed. I know stacked penalties don't happen that often anymore, we're living in much more disciplined times, but that still doesn't feel like a mistake a broadcaster should make at the NHL level, and he's been at it since the late '90s.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Been listening to the Cubs and other games on the MLB app. A few things:

-I love Pat, but he is increasingly making mistakes. He often gets confused about which fielder made the play (partly due to the shift).
-There are disruptive reads within the innings. I suspect this is 670’s doing. It is annoying and unique to Cubs’ broadcasts.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
denisdman wrote:

-I love Pat, but he is increasingly making mistakes. He often gets confused about which fielder made the play (partly due to the shift).
-There are disruptive reads within the innings. I suspect this is 670’s doing. It is annoying and unique to Cubs’ broadcasts.

Hes doing PBP on today's marquee broadcast. He's still doing a radio broadcast. But as far as the reads, there's a lot less of them. He doesn't have to read a script for each bloody strikeout (fans won't strikeout with a loan from Get Bent Bank!) and he sounds more relaxed.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Ahh I wondered why Zack was in.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:52 pm 

Darkside wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Hes doing PBP on today's marquee broadcast. He's still doing a radio broadcast. But as far as the reads, there's a lot less of them. He doesn't have to read a script for each bloody strikeout (fans won't strikeout with a loan from Get Bent Bank!) and he sounds more relaxed.

He still doesn't have a good rapport with JD, the questions he asks are mostly obvious.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 4:55 pm 

Darkside wrote:
denisdman wrote:

He still doesn't have a good rapport with JD, the questions he asks are mostly obvious.

It's a 3-0 count here JD, what would you be thinking?
Take, pat?
That's a good call .JD.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:00 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Darkside wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Take, pat?
That's a good call .JD.

It's a shame JD can't answer with something like "which of your grown up daughters gives better head?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:02 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Darkside wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Take, pat?
That's a good call .JD.

It's a shame JD can't answer with something like "which of your grown up daughters gives better head?

:shock: