It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Feder: https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/28/ ... more-22826

Quote:
A new management team is about to take charge at WMVP AM-1000, the sports/talk flagship of ESPN Radio in Chicago.

In a surprise move Wednesday, ESPN Radio, a unit of Walt Disney Co., announced a long-term local marketing agreement with Good Karma Brands. Effective September 29, the Wisconsin-based company will lease the station and assume control of all operations at ESPN Radio Chicago.

Terms of the deal, including whether it provides for an option to buy the station, were not disclosed.

While the station will continue to be branded as ESPN 1000 (and licensed to ESPN Radio), it’s unclear how the move will affect the local talent roster.

The announcement said only that Good Karma would “expand its affiliate relationship” with ESPN Radio and that the station would “feature a lineup of local and national sports talk programming and ESPN Radio’s national play-by-play lineup,” including the NBA, MLB, NFL and college football.

It’s a good bet that the popular afternoon team of Tom Waddle and Marc Silverman will continue for the foreseeable future. But the fate of other local hosts, including David Kaplan, Carmen DeFalco, John “Jurko” Jurkovic and Jonathan Hood may be less certain.

Jim Pastor, vice president and general manager of ESPN 1000, announced he will retire at the end of the year. He told friends Wednesday he was “100 percent on board” with the move.

Good Karma Brands includes WTMJ, a news and sports station in Milwaukee, seven ESPN-affiliated radio stations, and two other radio stations in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.

In the latest Nielsen Audio survey, ESPN 1000 tied for 25th place overall with a 1.5 percent share and cumulative weekly audience of 418,900. Its main competitor, Entercom sports/talk WSCR 670-AM, tied for seventh place with a 3.8 share and weekly cume of 946,200.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

Last edited by Reared on the Score on Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
verrry inneresting

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Didn't Kap just get new paper?

Interesting. The only local show that draws on that station is Waddle & Silvy.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:41 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Well holy shit.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:41 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I think that was just at NBCSportsChicago

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:44 pm 

Yeah, I have a feeling this opens the door for Kap to go to 670. He and the Cubs can't be apart.

I wonder if the home office is still in Beaver Dam.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Quote:
In the latest Nielsen Audio survey, ESPN 1000 tied for 25th place overall with a 1.5 percent share and cumulative weekly audience of 418,900

60,000 listeners a day? Might as well shut it down, sell the license and start a spreaker channel.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:50 pm 
100000 CLUB

Reared on the Score wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

I think that was just at NBCSportsChicago
Ah, yes. New paper, just not new radio paper.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, I have a feeling this opens the door for Kap to go to 670.

NOOOOOOOOO !!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:00 pm 

It'll be interesting to see whether Karmazin tries to go toe-to-toe with the Score or just hopes to gracefully manage the decline and maybe beat WFMT. Generally, they haven't been passionate about forging a non-ESPN identity in Milwaukee and Madison. It's served them well enough, I guess, as they've held steady at like 1.0 since I was a child. Milwaukee sports radio is an illusion -- neither WAUK (which I forgot, is really WKTI now, how about that) nor WSSP has never had great ratings because Milwaukee is not a sports town, it is a Packers town.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:03 pm 
1000 CLUB

Well, this is potentially unfortunate. However, the more accomplished hosts that come over to 670 may spell the end of BIG RED on the station. One can hope at least.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:05 pm 

With new baseball and basketball facilities and the Brewers being competitive most every year plus Giannis you'd think SE Wisconsin would be sports-crazy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:06 pm 
100000 CLUB

doug - evergreen park wrote:
Well, this is potentially unfortunate. However, the more accomplished hosts that come over to 670 may spell the end of BIG RED on the station. One can hope at least.

For sure. Holmes would go back to nights, and Ccuntie DiCaro would be relegated to a couple hours on a weekend here and there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:27 pm 

Yeah, I'm sure The Score is just going to jump all over the hosts from a station that does much worse in the ratings than they do to the point that Disney/ESPN was kind of like "Hey, we don't really want this, but we still like our name on the billboards, so why don't you kind of buy it from us and do everything with it but you can still call it ESPN 1000".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:33 pm 

Hussra wrote:
With new baseball and basketball facilities and the Brewers being competitive most every year plus Giannis you'd think SE Wisconsin would be sports-crazy.

They are, but it's Packers miles ahead of everything else. Miller Park has kept the floor relatively high for the Brewers, so even when they're out of it it's still A Fun Thing To Do (opinions vary: I never saw the appeal of eating sausage and potato salad in a parking lot), but they've never been a civic institution like the Cubs are. The Bucks are hot now but the bottom is always ready to drop out, and once you get away from Milwaukee, there aren't really NBA fans. And don't forget all the sleeper cells of Chicago sports fans, especially from Lake Geneva to Kenosha.

I guess the interests in various teams have never, for one reason for another, manifested themselves in a desire to engage in talk radio about the teams. The biggest problem for sports radio in Milwaukee had always been that all the play-by-play properties -- Packers, Brewers, Bucks, Badgers -- were on WTMJ and not a dedicated sports talker, which for a long time had just been a daytimer like the Score. Karmazin waited for AM radio to wither and die and bought WTMJ/WKTI, but even with an FM signal and cross-promotion with TMJ, the ratings are same as it ever was, same as it ever was.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:35 pm 

Kaplan would pull in a better rating than McKnight/Bernstein.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
I know this will never happen, but honeslty right now both ESPN and 670 should both be national minus a few people.

I would have Silvy and Parkins team up

JHood in evenings

Les overnight

That is it.

Everything else national

The local talent is just awful. Mully/Haugh not good, Bernstein/Mcknight Jurko/Carmen - Does anyone listen to these shows anymore? Kap is a hustler and good on STL, but not good radio. I gave Mac a chance, but he is just boring now.

In over 40+ years this is the wors talent for Chi radio I have heard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:38 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure The Score is just going to jump all over the hosts from a station that does much worse in the ratings than they do to the point that Disney/ESPN was kind of like "Hey, we don't really want this, but we still like our name on the billboards, so why don't you kind of buy it from us and do everything with it but you can still call it ESPN 1000".

Who was the poster here who said there was a rumor that the Rickettses have become enamored of Zach Zaidman and want him on the TV side at the new channel? Was it one of our idiots? If so, kindly disregard, but if that happens, and God help us all if it does, that opens up space for Kaplan, who's arguably a big name slumming it at 1000. And maybe they could bring in Jurko for couch change if Mac wants it. But that's it, I mean, Carmen DeFalco is not coming to supplant anyone at the Score.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 pm 

I thought Zaidman was going to take over for Hughes when he retires.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:39 pm 

That's even worse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:40 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Kaplan would pull in a better rating than McKnight/Bernstein.
Aren't his ratings pretty poor now though?

I understand he is more likable than Bernstein but from what I understand the only one doing anything at ESPN is Waddle and Silvy and at least Waddle seems pretty tied into ESPN.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:45 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
That's even worse.

Yes.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Aren't his ratings pretty poor now though?

Not sure on that. The one factor I forgot is does DeCastro like Kaplan. That's probably the biggest thing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Peoria Matt wrote:

He can't. That would be an enormous error.

He's way too awkward and weird. When he fills in the broadcast sucks butt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Peoria Matt wrote:

If Zaidman is going to be part of the broadcast anyway, I would rather have him doing the game than cackling in the background. I wouldn't miss Hughes.

doug - evergreen park wrote:

What could The Red Menace say if she got replaced by Hood? She should be proud to amplify the voice of a POC by having one take over her show.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Pat Hughes is pretty fucking weird too. He's into the Kennedy Assassination conspiracy theories, even goes to conventions too with other conspiracy theorists.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:05 pm 

I don't think we know the current ratings battle between Kaplan and Bernstein. The only published bits are the top-10 (and not in any demo) and neither show cracks that ranking.

It'd be a real shift in philosophy and 'voice', though. Hiring Kaplan would fully invert the smarter fan's station Bernstein FOTS era, as Kaplan is a meathead homer. And obviously if Kaplan's hire pushed out Bernstein that'd make it a literal shift.

5-9 Mully+Haugh
9-12 Kap
12-2 Larry
2-6 Mac, Jurko, and Parkins
6-12 some combination of McDoink, Julie, JoeO [cracking top ratings because of Cubs]

Bad!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:08 pm 

ultimate Bernstein humbling is taking job as Bulls pre/post/halftime host kicking it back to a bible-thumping Swirsk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:09 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Pat Hughes is pretty fucking weird too. He's into the Kennedy Assassination conspiracy theories, even goes to conventions too with other conspiracy theorists.

Where'd you come up with this? Or did you think it was worth a shot.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:10 pm 

Peoria Matt wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Where'd you come up with this? Or did you think it was worth a shot.

It's pretty well known.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:11 pm 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

Quote:
He's a Kennedy assassination buff, an avid reader of all types of historical literature, an easygoing personality and devoted family man....