It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Bob is correct.

HE FINALLY MADE IT TO THE BIG LEAGUES

Randy Minkoff. Special to the Tribune

CHICAGO TRIBUNE

On the surface, Pat Hughes wouldn't seem to fill the bill for your typical baseball play-by-play announcer.

He's a Kennedy assassination buff, an avid reader of all types of historical literature, an easygoing personality and devoted family man.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:13 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Let's be real, if someone were to hold a Truth About Jeffrey Epstein convention, I'd go.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Tad Queasy wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
I thought Zaidman was going to take over for Hughes when he retires.

If Zaidman is going to be part of the broadcast anyway, I would rather have him doing the game than cackling in the background. I wouldn't miss Hughes.

WRONG.

Zaidman's voice just isn't good. It's not suitable for relaxing on a summer evening with baseball. He's a ginger. He's too fucking weird and his voice demonstrates that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:30 pm 

His voice is too affected. It's not a baseball voice. He should have stuck to football.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:34 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Peoria Matt wrote:
Bob is correct.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE

On the surface, Pat Hughes wouldn't seem to fill the bill for your typical baseball play-by-play announcer.

He's a Kennedy assassination buff, an avid reader of all types of historical literature, an easygoing personality and devoted family man.

So am I.

What's wrong with that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Bob is correct.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE

So am I.

What's wrong with that?

Yeah, but you're a wild card.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:51 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Telegram Sam wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Bob is correct.

CHICAGO TRIBUNE

So am I.

What's wrong with that?

Yeah, but you're a wild card.

I'm also King Misogynist I of the Patriarchy, First of His Name.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:03 pm 

Here is part of Jon Greenberg's article from the Athletic on it:

"While some people think a new owner is going to cut costs and local programming at 190 N. State St., one ESPN 1000 source said they’ve heard Good Karma is committed to the local shows.

“They say nothing is going to change,” the source said.

“Weird day,” another source said.

In fact, things could get better for the station. What if they could cut out two hours of Golic & Wingo?

In June, Good Karma improved the local lineup at ESPN Milwaukee, which goes local at 7 a.m., instead of 9 a.m., when Gabe Neitzel hosts a two-hour show with Mark Chmura. (Yes, Mark Chmura.) ESPN Milwaukee stays local with five more shows until 8 p.m., including one hosted by The Athletic Packers contributor Jason Wilde.

ESPN’s national morning show, formerly co-hosted by Mike Greenberg, is the jewel of Bristol-based radio, but nearly everyone at ESPN 1000 has complained about starting the day with a national show. As an owned-and-operated ESPN station, Chicago was required to run it, even after Greenberg left for TV.

One ESPN 1000 source said the ratings between “Golic and Wingo” and The Score’s “Mully & Haugh Show” have been closer lately, but Bears season should be a boon for Mike Mulligan and David Haugh. I’d dump it ASAP.

With David Kaplan’s days doing postgame for the Cubs coming to an end in September, and his ESPN radio contract not running out until January, Good Karma could move him to an earlier start, preferably with a permanent co-host, like Fox 32 reporter Shae Peppler, who has been filling in more since her husband Jordan Cornette went to the ACC Network . But then, do they break up the normal shifts with shows starting and stopping at odd hours? Do they add a fourth show into the daytime lineup to compete with The Score?

I would tell Craig Karmazin, the founder and CEO of Good Karma, to think about putting Jonathan Hood on during the day. Or hiring Matt Spiegel, who has been hosting weekend shows and filling in during the weekdays since his demotion back in 2018. His contract at WSCR is up at the end of the year. Jason Goff, who is co-hosting national shows in the ESPN family, would seem like a natural addition if Good Karma decides to expand the local content. Julie DiCaro has had success hosting nights at The Score. Brian Hanley has been looking to get back into radio since he was jettisoned from his top-rated Score show in 2018. Sarah Spain went national years ago, but maybe she would want to talk Chicago sports again.

Current ESPN 1000 fill-ins Fred Huebner, Chris Bleck and Adam Abdalla are also more than capable of holding down permanent daytime shifts.

ESPN 1000 currently has three daytime shows, with Kaplan (and company) handing off to John Jurkovic and Carmen DeFalco, who pass the baton to Silverman and Waddle. Hood, Bleck and Abdalla regularly host shows in the evening.

Football is king on ESPN 1000, just like it is at The Score, and Jurkovic and Waddle are the two best daily hosts in town when it comes to talking the Bears. The more of them together, like in crosstalk, the better, though Jurko always worked best with a third host.

And there’s the rub when it comes to the new ownership: Do they want to spend more on talent? Owning stations in Cleveland and Milwaukee is one thing, but paying Chicago radio salaries is quite another. Maybe the skeptics are right and current hosts will be looking for work by the time the Bears are finishing out the season."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
But that's it, I mean, Carmen DeFalco is not coming to supplant anyone at the Score.
not on a regular gig, but is a fill-in guy he would be fine. And even as a White Sox fan, he would be way better than Zach zaidman on the Cubs beat.

So am I.

What's wrong with that?
nothing. But you are not on the Air 162 times a year fake laughing at bad Ron Coomer jokes.

Yet.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Hussra wrote:
With new baseball and basketball facilities and the Brewers being competitive most every year plus Giannis you'd think SE Wisconsin would be sports-crazy.

Too busy fucking their housecats.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:03 pm 

So bring back failed Score hosts to take on the Score is the strategy Greenberg recommends? Make it Barstool. I’m not a big fan, but it’s more innovative than retreads. The Score has the best of those.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:07 pm 

My advice is to hire all my friends from the cool kids' table, like Julie DiCaro, Jason Goff, and Sarah Spain.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
So bring back failed Score hosts to take on the Score is the strategy Greenberg recommends? Make it Barstool. I’m not a big fan, but it’s more innovative than retreads. The Score has the best of those.

Yeah, a lot of bad thoughts in that article.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
If this keeps W&S on, gets rid of Kap and allows for more game broadcasts from across the nation in NBA and MLB, I'm 100% onboard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Lol. Airing LeBatard live would probably get better ratings than any of the retreads.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:34 am 
100000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
My advice is to hire all my friends from the cool kids' table, like Julie DiCaro, Jason Goff, and Sarah Spain.
And then set them adrift in the path of Hurricane Dorian?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:44 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
BigJ52 wrote:
Here is part of Jon Greenberg's article from the Athletic on it:

I would tell Craig Karmazin, the founder and CEO of Good Karma, to think about putting Jonathan Hood on during the day. Or hiring Matt Spiegel, who has been hosting weekend shows and filling in during the weekdays since his demotion back in 2018. His contract at WSCR is up at the end of the year. Jason Goff, who is co-hosting national shows in the ESPN family, would seem like a natural addition if Good Karma decides to expand the local content. Julie DiCaro has had success hosting nights at The Score.

:lol: :lol:

Jesus, that would be awful. If your plan is to bring in thin-skinned jags like Hood, Spiegel, Goff, and DiCaro you might as well just keep the lineup as it is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:45 am 

The most entertaining sports radio show I ever consumed was a show on some little station 20 or so years ago called Bears-Packers Showdown. It was, I think, Sundays from about 7-11 pm and was like an NFL postgame with Bears and Packers focus. It was kind of amateurish in its production but it was just a fun listen. I look forward to its return with our new Wisconsin overlords.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:49 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
What the hell is Good Karma radio? ESPN does not own the local stations but leases time in all the cities?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:14 am 

Hood would be great back at the score. Have him take over evenings and you can launch all the worthless hacks they have working nights.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:19 am 

So am I.

What's wrong with that?

Not a thing.

I'm also in the conspiracy club.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:43 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Is J. Hood still persona non grata at The Score or was that just with long-gone management?

He would indeed be an instant upgrade working nights, though honestly Julie hosts an adequate show (you guys don't need to follow her Twitter for your job, do you?) and is likely cheaper. Can keep her 10-midnight and have Hood take over 6-10, have JoeO host 14 gambling podcasts (the wave of the future!).

A Bernstein-Hood show would be potentially very good.

Spiegel is in a good role for him, though I'm sure he's overpaid for it and may not take what they offer for his next contract (if there is an offer).

Goff was bad. Maybe he's improved and the Goff+Spain combo is doing well nationally and could thrive as a local AM1000 show but I doubt it.

No desire to hear Hanley again.

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol: See , Hanley is the only one I’d hire from the rest of that suggested roster of suck

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
:lol: from the comments in that Greenberg article

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:41 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Hood is balck Mike Murphy, right down to the bad/cheesy bits and sound effects.

I don't think Goff works with Spain anymore. He does a show with two other people, a man and a woman, on Saturday afternoons.

I don't really dislike Hanley, but like Reared said I have no desire to hear him again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:43 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Hood is solid.

I don't think he has as much of the bits any more.

Just good sports talk.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:50 am 

I like Hood, also.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:52 am 

pittmike wrote:
What the hell is Good Karma radio? ESPN does not own the local stations but leases time in all the cities?

I assume the Craig Karmazin the name from which Good Karma is derived, is the son of Mel Karmazin the millionaire radio exec.

I wonder why Craig would have started his radio empire in Wisconsin?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:53 am 
100000 CLUB

Peoria Matt wrote:
I like Hood, also.
Elmhurst Steve wrote:
I like wearing a hood.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Kaplan would pull in a better rating than McKnight/Bernstein.
Aren't his ratings pretty poor now though?

I understand he is more likable than Bernstein

I don't even like Bernstein and I don't agree with this :lol:

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next