It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:06 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Hood is solid.

I don't think he has as much of the bits any more.

Just good sports talk.

I sometimes catch a little of his show when I'm making or cleaning up after dinner and flipping around the dial. I heard a bit called "That's Petty", or something like that, where he reads stories about someone being petty. Before each story he plays part of the theme from Petticoat Junction. The only other person in town I can imagine doing something that hacky, and with that outdated of a reference, is Mike Murphy.

His "Under the Hood" bit is yet another in the long line of segments such as "Waddle's World" which Jurko copied for "Jurko's Universe" and Kaplan copied for "Kap's Chronices." Hood reads the stories about as smoothly as Terry Bradshaw doing halftime highlights. It's brutal when Waddle does it and it's just as brutal when Hood does it.

Much Leery, he tends to present his mundane thoughts as though they are revelatory.

He also frequently mentions his Instagram page. Isn't Instagram mostly used by fashion influencers and girls who want to be models? Why on earth would someone want to follow an obese, middle-aged man on Instagram?

I haven't heard him in a week or so, but unless he stopped doing all of those things his show is bad.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Doing segments isn't a bad thing. Especially at night. I don't think I've heard the Petty one.

Yeah he does frequently promote his Twitters and Instagram.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Hood also does fill-in work on the national shows, and “Dickerson And Hood” has a weekend show nationally as well.

Whatever happens locally, Hood should be OK.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
[quote="Reared on the Score"]Is J. Hood still persona non grata at The Score or was that just with long-gone management?

He would indeed be an instant upgrade working nights, though honestly Julie hosts an adequate show (you guys don't need to follow her Twitter for your job, do you?) and is likely cheaper. Can keep her 10-midnight and have Hood take over 6-10, have JoeO host 14 gambling podcasts (the wave of the future!).

A Bernstein-Hood show would be potentially very good.

Spiegel is in a good role for him, though I'm sure he's overpaid for it and may not take what they offer for his next contract (if there is an offer).

Goff was bad. Maybe he's improved and the Goff+Spain combo is doing well nationally and could thrive as a local AM1000 show but I doubt it.

No desire to hear Hanley again.[/qu

Do remember the awkward Hood/Telander show, but that was a long time ago, but like Goff, Murphy, Holmes, and Huebner he was given a shot at a regular show and it did not work out long term. Many of these guys have the interest/ability/stamina to do fill in work or weekends, but not enough to do a daily show.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:59 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
The most entertaining sports radio show I ever consumed was a show on some little station 20 or so years ago called Bears-Packers Showdown. It was, I think, Sundays from about 7-11 pm and was like an NFL postgame with Bears and Packers focus. It was kind of amateurish in its production but it was just a fun listen. I look forward to its return with our new Wisconsin overlords.

It was on the late lamented WCBR and I think Les Grobstein was on it, or at least friends of Les Grobstein.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:03 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
good dolphin wrote:
pittmike wrote:
What the hell is Good Karma radio? ESPN does not own the local stations but leases time in all the cities?

I assume the Craig Karmazin the name from which Good Karma is derived, is the son of Mel Karmazin the millionaire radio exec.

I wonder why Craig would have started his radio empire in Wisconsin?

Yep, he's Mel's kid, but actually cares about the radio business. WTMJ is better off in his hands than a lot of others.

I believe the origin story is simply that he and his friends at Emory got the idea to buy a radio station, went shopping for one, and picked one in Beaver Dam, of all places.

to pittmike: Just as in television, very few radio stations are actually owned and operated by the network. I believe ESPN only owns its New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago stations outright, with the rest being affiliates. I expect that to change as ESPN clearly wants to get out of the terrestrial radio business.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Doing segments isn't a bad thing. Especially at night. I don't think I've heard the Petty one.

Yeah he does frequently promote his Twitters and Instagram.

You'd remember him playing the Petticoat Junction theme song.

I'd say Hood is better with somebody with him.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
KDdidit wrote:

Everyone is. Solo radio is fucking awful regardless of host.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
FavreFan wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Everyone is.

you've never listened to the Julie+Maggie show (and good on you!)

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:44 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Reared on the Score??

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I love it! Beautiful nym! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:46 am 

FavreFan wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Everyone is. Solo radio is fucking awful regardless of host.

wrong. Solo is great. A guy can do what he wants to do, see his vision through, without any interferences or disruptions.

Think Colin Cowherd. Or Jim Rome. Great broadcasters.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:48 am 

It's funny to me how half the posters here are bragging about how much they know about Milwaukee radio.

Yea, I'm cool, I'm in Milwaukee all the time, I know everything about Milwaukee radio AND Chicago radio.

You guys don't know shit.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:51 am 

Caller Bob wrote:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-02-23-9702230399-story.html

Quote:
He's a Kennedy assassination buff, an avid reader of all types of historical literature, an easygoing personality and devoted family man....

great article. And no it's not well known. Fuckin article is from 1997.

By the way, now I know that Pat Hughes daughters in their sexy prime. Late twenties or so. I wonder who they are fucking. Anybody have a pipeline into their circle?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
whistler wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1997-02-23-9702230399-story.html

Quote:
He's a Kennedy assassination buff, an avid reader of all types of historical literature, an easygoing personality and devoted family man....

great article. And no it's not well known. Fuckin article is from 1997.

By the way, now I know that Pat Hughes daughters in their sexy prime. Late twenties or so. I wonder who they are fucking. Anybody have a pipeline into their circle?

Keeping Score, how ya been?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:05 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Hood is better in the National ESPN format with Dickerson than he is doing a local show. Much more like two guys drinking beer, and the national format means they can't get too deep down any rabbit holes. For something to have on in the car if there is no game in, it is fine.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:36 am 

Only difference so far in the changeover is that they broke the podcast feeds. Nothing since Friday.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:22 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Hood replacing Les would be ideal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:33 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
could The KapMan™®© and Beerstine coexist for a show? Like try to spruce up the David Kaplan™®© Brand with some of that Beerstineian faux/intellectualism and give us the kind of show that only Rosenbloom would (dare to?) label #TwoLiveJews on the Score? (Added Bonus = JDC as #1 update person so we can see Kaplan fight the urge to dismissively refer to her as "sweetcheeks" ?? =)

But yeah, I reckon the thought would be that Bernstein's foil would be *THE* premier Chicago sports media personality gladhander coming over to be the proverbial meatball to Bernstein's VERY. SMART. RADIO. gimmick.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Crick Ramp wrote:
Hood replacing Les would be ideal

Dude you're in *THE* home of the Les "Grobber" Grobstein ALS; Thin Ice, pally!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:48 am 

Reared on the Score wrote:
Feder: https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/28/ ... more-22826

Quote:
A new management team is about to take charge at WMVP AM-1000, the sports/talk flagship of ESPN Radio in Chicago.

In a surprise move Wednesday, ESPN Radio, a unit of Walt Disney Co., announced a long-term local marketing agreement with Good Karma Brands. Effective September 29, the Wisconsin-based company will lease the station and assume control of all operations at ESPN Radio Chicago.

Terms of the deal, including whether it provides for an option to buy the station, were not disclosed.

While the station will continue to be branded as ESPN 1000 (and licensed to ESPN Radio), it’s unclear how the move will affect the local talent roster.

The announcement said only that Good Karma would “expand its affiliate relationship” with ESPN Radio and that the station would “feature a lineup of local and national sports talk programming and ESPN Radio’s national play-by-play lineup,” including the NBA, MLB, NFL and college football.

It’s a good bet that the popular afternoon team of Tom Waddle and Marc Silverman will continue for the foreseeable future. But the fate of other local hosts, including David Kaplan, Carmen DeFalco, John “Jurko” Jurkovic and Jonathan Hood may be less certain.

Jim Pastor, vice president and general manager of ESPN 1000, announced he will retire at the end of the year. He told friends Wednesday he was “100 percent on board” with the move.

Good Karma Brands includes WTMJ, a news and sports station in Milwaukee, seven ESPN-affiliated radio stations, and two other radio stations in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.

In the latest Nielsen Audio survey, ESPN 1000 tied for 25th place overall with a 1.5 percent share and cumulative weekly audience of 418,900. Its main competitor, Entercom sports/talk WSCR 670-AM, tied for seventh place with a 3.8 share and weekly cume of 946,200.

I'm confused about all this.

What does it mean by "marketing agreement". And licensed to ESPN? Slow this down for me. Who really owns the station? And can radio stations really be rented (leased) out? Define all the players here and who gets what money from whom. And who are the employees techincally working for? i.e., who's their employer? Do they work for ESPN? Somebody else?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:01 am 

whistler wrote:
Reared on the Score wrote:
Feder: https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/08/28/ ... more-22826

Quote:
A new management team is about to take charge at WMVP AM-1000, the sports/talk flagship of ESPN Radio in Chicago.

In a surprise move Wednesday, ESPN Radio, a unit of Walt Disney Co., announced a long-term local marketing agreement with Good Karma Brands. Effective September 29, the Wisconsin-based company will lease the station and assume control of all operations at ESPN Radio Chicago.

Terms of the deal, including whether it provides for an option to buy the station, were not disclosed.

While the station will continue to be branded as ESPN 1000 (and licensed to ESPN Radio), it’s unclear how the move will affect the local talent roster.

The announcement said only that Good Karma would “expand its affiliate relationship” with ESPN Radio and that the station would “feature a lineup of local and national sports talk programming and ESPN Radio’s national play-by-play lineup,” including the NBA, MLB, NFL and college football.

It’s a good bet that the popular afternoon team of Tom Waddle and Marc Silverman will continue for the foreseeable future. But the fate of other local hosts, including David Kaplan, Carmen DeFalco, John “Jurko” Jurkovic and Jonathan Hood may be less certain.

Jim Pastor, vice president and general manager of ESPN 1000, announced he will retire at the end of the year. He told friends Wednesday he was “100 percent on board” with the move.

Good Karma Brands includes WTMJ, a news and sports station in Milwaukee, seven ESPN-affiliated radio stations, and two other radio stations in Beaver Dam, Wisconsin.

In the latest Nielsen Audio survey, ESPN 1000 tied for 25th place overall with a 1.5 percent share and cumulative weekly audience of 418,900. Its main competitor, Entercom sports/talk WSCR 670-AM, tied for seventh place with a 3.8 share and weekly cume of 946,200.

I'm confused about all this.

What does it mean by "marketing agreement". And licensed to ESPN? Slow this down for me. Who really owns the station? And can radio stations really be rented (leased) out? Define all the players here and who gets what money from whom. And who are the employees techincally working for? i.e., who's their employer? Do they work for ESPN? Somebody else?

Put a plastic bag over your head and think harder.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:06 am 

new boss:

Quote:
On Monday downstate Illinois native Mike Thomas was named market manager of ESPN 1000, where he will oversee sales, content and marketing strategy and execution for Chicago’s No. 2 sports/talk outlet, starting in January.

Thomas has headed programming at Boston’s WBZ, the award-winning station known as The Sports Hub, since 2009. Before launching the format for CBS Radio (and successor Beasley Media Group) he worked as a program director for stations owned by Jacor, Clear Channel, Saga Communications and Mid-West Family Broadcasting....His career has taken him from Springfield, Illinois to Dayton, Ohio, to Indianapolis, San Diego and Boston. Chicago will be his first job as a market manager.

Thomas will succeed Jim Pastor, who is retiring at the end of the year as vice president and general manager of ESPN 1000.

No other personnel changes were announced Monday. Adam Delevitt, a 21-year veteran of the station, continues as senior program director of ESPN 1000.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/10/08/ ... ss-boston/

*new LoHo section * mods learn how to merge topics * allow mods to be added to foes list * move fragility topics from DB/Shoutouts to Politics *

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:45 am 

more Feder today:

Quote:
Twenty-one years after he joined sports/talk WMVP 1000-AM as an evening show producer, Adam Delevitt is signing off as senior program director of the ESPN Chicago station. His departure next month follows the station’s management takeover by Good Karma Brands.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/11/22/ ... ast-abc-7/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:38 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
hmmm...wonder what Adam will be doing next.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:00 pm 

BigJ52 wrote:
Here is part of Jon Greenberg's article from the Athletic on it:

Quote:
With David Kaplan’s days doing postgame for the Cubs coming to an end in September, and his ESPN radio contract not running out until January, Good Karma could move him to an earlier start, preferably with a permanent co-host, like Fox 32 reporter Shae Peppler, who has been filling in more since her husband Jordan Cornette went to the ACC Network .

Shae Peppler just announced she's leaving Chicago entirely.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
She is a lot cuter than she sounds on the radio.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:02 pm 

Losing the cute ones to other markets. First Kalee Dionne now Shae.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:05 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
oh, were doing kalee dionne now?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
good dolphin wrote:

FUUUUUUUUCKKKKK YYYYYOU! :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 94 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next