It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bill and Wendy fired
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
The early 90s seemed to produce a gaggle of bust out comedians who entered Chicago radio. Harry, Spike, Leff, etc. all were hacks who had been rejected by just about every other avenue of the entertainment industry and somehow washed ashore in radio. Somehow Leff, the most insipid of them all, was able to hang on the longest. I think it was his unintimidating comedy that helped him to drift from one bland station with middle aged women as their key demographic to the next. I'm sure there will be a spot for him back at Lite FM or as a contributor to whatever remains of Eric and Kathy.

I like Wendy. She always seemed unapologetically DTF. I haven't heard her since her Buzz Killman days, which were probably 20 years ago.

They are essentially Eric and Kathy without the notoriety .
or animosity.

I also thought they were talented. Wendy wasn't the intellectual heavy, but she was honest and sounded authentic. I thought Bill was pretty cool. Together, they made a decent show. I can't imagine Anna Davlantes's show being good at all.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Curious Hair wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Quote:
Buzz and Wendy had a fun little show on CKG, indeed, 20 years ago.
Weren’t Wendy and Leff on Steve Dahl’s show for a while? I seem to remember that being a toxic mix.

My memory is that it was Buzz and Wendy and then CKG got Dahl and put him into that shift, making it the Steve Dahl Show With Buzz And Wendy. My dad stopped having it on in the car because he said he had gotten tired of Steve Dahl (wow, even then). I don't remember Bill Leff in there, but no one remembers Bill Leff anywhere.

I tried a search for Leff and Wendy being on with Steve Dahl and came across this exchange from 2014. Kind of amusing. And fwiw Cochran does reference them having been on his show in the past.
https://www.robertfeder.com/2014/09/28/steve-dahl-calls-wgn-worst-radio-station-ever/
https://www.robertfeder.com/2014/09/28/wgns-cochran-answers-dahl-why-so-bitter-steve/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:25 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Funny part about that is that in Dahl's bitter exit from WLS a year ago he claimed he was told the station was going to move towards sounding like WGN with the Sox amid general talk shows, instead of being WGOP, when he signed there.

I don't really remember Leff and Snyder with Dahl at WCKG, but he went through like 300 sidekicks trying to recreate the chemistry he and Garry had. The only one that even remotely came close was Dave McBride.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:45 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Funny part about that is that in Dahl's bitter exit from WLS a year ago he claimed he was told the station was going to move towards sounding like WGN with the Sox amid general talk shows, instead of being WGOP, when he signed there.

Yeah, they were ready to drop Rush and everything, but they blinked and kept him on, and once they couldn't quit that habit, their plan was pretty much stillborn. After Cumulus went broke and couldn't keep the sports teams, it was all over, and with Trump in the White House, they figured it was good business to give up most of their local talk and double down on Daddy. Turns out they were right: being the station for the aggrieved uncles of greater Chicago doubled their ratings and must have cut expenses to the bone. Go figure, they were actually less political in 2013 when Roe just talked about Dancing with the Stars than they are now with Li'l Ben in afternoons, but we were all less political in 2013.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:04 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Side note, Wendy somehow became a little milfish over the years .

You need to re-read your signature... I don't see this one. (Wendy is on the left)

In that picture, she looks like she smells like smoke and has a basement hair cutting and coloring 'business'.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:54 pm 

Don Tiny wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Side note, Wendy somehow became a little milfish over the years .

You need to re-read your signature... I don't see this one. (Wendy is on the left)

In that picture, she looks like she smells like smoke and has a basement hair cutting and coloring 'business'.

:lol: About as spot on as you can get.

Nonetheless . . .

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:25 pm 

Davlantes: It's a nothing show. She had some forgettable take on the Peloton commercial (maybe she said the husband was generous?), but my mind starts wandering halfway through her sentences because she trails off like a retarded Millennial.

Wendy lives on in commercials.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:29 pm 

pizza_Place: billss
Looks like they landed a gig doing podcasts for WLS

https://www.wlsam.com/the-bill-and-wendy-show/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:49 pm 

Treading water until Rush goes to the big Dominican Republic in the sky and 890 suddenly has three hours to fill.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
Treading water until Rush goes to the big Dominican Republic in the sky and 890 suddenly has three hours to fill.

That's a pretty good guess. He used to be a stand up, does he do gigs anymore, even locally?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:27 am 

Feder's post today was about Bill Leff being the host of MeTV's new morning cartoon block, with the general manager really talking up "Toony the Tuna," Leff's puppet sidekick. Even has to share billing with a puppet. But what really caught my eye was that he was talking about what an honor it'll be to host the cartoon block because he grew up watching Ray Rayner in the morning. Now I know that MeTV is television for the dying, but it's almost 2021; how do we still have television personalities talking about how they grew up watching Ray Rayner? As the rising seas swallow the land, the last words uttered on Chicago television will be "this was such an honor for someone who fell in love with WGN by watching Lunchtime Little Theater."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Yeah, even by the established standards of Boomers being up their own asses with nostalgia like no generation before or since, it's something.

Or that awful "Bozo, Gar and Ray" special WGN's been playing at this time of year for so long they might have Dean Richards host a retrospective on the airings of it soon. He waxes nostalgic about Rayner, Bozo, Garfield Goose and those horrible Christmas cartoons, then it's "Bob Bell retired, Joey D'auria replaced him, he sucked and got the show canceled, the end".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:37 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Anyone know if Nick Digilio is rumored to return to radio or start a podcast. Whenever I check his Facebook account he's just watching a TV or movie. He's like the Les Grobstein of movies and tv.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Yeah, even by the established standards of Boomers being up their own asses with nostalgia like no generation before or since, it's something.

Or that awful "Bozo, Gar and Ray" special WGN's been playing at this time of year for so long they might have Dean Richards host a retrospective on the airings of it soon. He waxes nostalgic about Rayner, Bozo, Garfield Goose and those horrible Christmas cartoons, then it's "Bob Bell retired, Joey D'auria replaced him, he sucked and got the show canceled, the end".

I was surprised Ike Reilly wrote a lyric about Hardrock, Coco, and Joe. I'm pretty sure that's from the early 50s. It was old when I was a kid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:51 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Or that awful "Bozo, Gar and Ray" special WGN's been playing at this time of year for so long they might have Dean Richards host a retrospective on the airings of it soon.

:lol:

The magic of Hardrock, Coco, and Joe really faded for me when I found it on youtube and in addition to the usual channel 9 nostalgia there were people in the comments section who were like "THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS TO HAVE GROWN UP IN YOUNGSTOWN, OHIO!" Suddenly this dumb little curiosity isn't such a beloved local treasure if all this time it was also getting picked up by some fuckin' UHF in Youngstown.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Tad Queasy wrote:
I think Bill is geniunely clever and a pretty good host. Wendy is terrible. She has a voice that is both whiny and mopey and the same time. I suspect the only reason she stayed employed at WGN this long is because Robin Baumgarten had something in her contract saying she can't be the dumbest person at the station.

:lol: :lol: This didnt get its due earlier in the thread

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
blackhawksfan wrote:
Anyone know if Nick Digilio is rumored to return to radio or start a podcast.

Better yet, anyone know if Nick Digilio is rumored to have formulated a cogent thought in the past two decades?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchis
I saw Bill Leff yesterday re-watching Major League. Maybe he'll get a 50 cent royalty for that viewing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:23 pm 

Tall Midget wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Anyone know if Nick Digilio is rumored to return to radio or start a podcast.

Better yet, anyone know if Nick Digilio is rumored to have formulated a cogent thought in the past two decades?

Be careful what you wish for: if he has a cogent thought, he's liable to repeat it for five hours.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
badrogue17 wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
I think Bill is geniunely clever and a pretty good host. Wendy is terrible. She has a voice that is both whiny and mopey and the same time. I suspect the only reason she stayed employed at WGN this long is because Robin Baumgarten had something in her contract saying she can't be the dumbest person at the station.

:lol: :lol: This didnt get its due earlier in the thread

The pride of Orland Park. Somehow turned being an overweight SW side traffic chick into a 30 year gig.

I'm biased, I like Sarah Jindra. Ogden Ave. over Orland Park any day.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:12 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Feder's post today was about Bill Leff being the host of MeTV's new morning cartoon block, with the general manager really talking up "Toony the Tuna," Leff's puppet sidekick. Even has to share billing with a puppet. But what really caught my eye was that he was talking about what an honor it'll be to host the cartoon block because he grew up watching Ray Rayner in the morning. Now I know that MeTV is television for the dying, but it's almost 2021; how do we still have television personalities talking about how they grew up watching Ray Rayner? As the rising seas swallow the land, the last words uttered on Chicago television will be "this was such an honor for someone who fell in love with WGN by watching Lunchtime Little Theater."

The article said the target audience was Boomers 35 and older. That’s fine except that’s 3 generations in that target not just Boomers. Ray Raynor hasn’t been on the air for 40 years. The people pining for a re-living that show have to be in their 50s and older. So the concept is a campy children’s show aimed at retirees with LooneyTunes. I’m going to guess Fox and Friends is safe.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:44 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

I was surprised Ike Reilly wrote a lyric about Hardrock, Coco, and Joe. I'm pretty sure that's from the early 50s. It was old when I was a kid.

Now I have Suzy Snowflake dancing in my head.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:06 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
The article said the target audience was Boomers 35 and older.

Brick is a Boomer 35 and older. (Not like I should talk, I'm over in the music thread arguing about the Go-Betweens.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:30 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Curious Hair wrote:
The article said the target audience was Boomers 35 and older.

Brick is a Boomer 35 and older. (Not like I should talk, I'm over in the music thread arguing about the Go-Betweens.)

It seems like the colloquial meaning of "Boomer" has changed. It doesn't actually refer to those from the Baby Boom generation anymore, at least among those who are extremely online. It's simply a term to mock anyone who doesn't have Cyberpunk 2077 on their radar or who doesn't know the words to "Wet Ass Pussy" by heart.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:32 am 

Yeah, pretty much. The last two there definitely apply to me, but I've always claimed to be a gen-Xer at heart.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:01 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Dude, I don't even watch sitcoms on CBS any more.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:25 am 

Scrolling through the METV schedule, and there is nothing newer than 1975. Most shows are from the 50s and 60s. This station appeals the nostalgia of current TV Guide subscribers who have the nurse change the channel for them.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

Last edited by WaitingforRuffcorn on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:38 am 

Scrolling through the METV schedule, and there is nothing newer than 1975. Most shoes are from the 50s and 60s. This station appeals the nostalgia of current TV Guide subscribers who have the nurse change the channel for them.

Antenna TV is a little less ancient. But eff them, because they took Barney Miller off the air. Also, I watched 49 seconds of Alice and wanted to choke everyone on the screen except Flo.

In any case, Bill Leff deserves better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:21 am 

Antenna TV shows old episodes of Carson at 9. I've been dropping in on that. Those monologues really were good!

MeTV shows too many westerns, but I feel that one western is too many. My ideal nostalgia is whatever Nick at Nite showed when I was a kid: Get Smart, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Bewitched. There's only a small handful of shows that I think can last forever. Rolling Stones albums from 1969-1971 will live on forever, but eventually no one's gonna want to watch old episodes of Green Acres.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:30 am 

pizza_Place: Trampas Ristorante
Curious Hair wrote:
MeTV shows too many westerns, but I feel that one western is too many.

I find you guilty of questionable taste and sentence you to two hours in the Politics section.