It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bill and Wendy fired
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:40 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Antenna TV shows old episodes of Carson at 9. I've been dropping in on that. Those monologues really were good!

MeTV shows too many westerns, but I feel that one western is too many. My ideal nostalgia is whatever Nick at Nite showed when I was a kid: Get Smart, Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, Bewitched. There's only a small handful of shows that I think can last forever. Rolling Stones albums from 1969-1971 will live on forever, but eventually no one's gonna want to watch old episodes of Green Acres.

I don't know. I never watched King of Queens when it originally aired and I love it in replays.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
tommy wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Scrolling through the METV schedule, and there is nothing newer than 1975. Most shoes are from the 50s and 60s. This station appeals the nostalgia of current TV Guide subscribers who have the nurse change the channel for them.

Antenna TV is a little less ancient. But eff them, because they took Barney Miller off the air. Also, I watched 49 seconds of Alice and wanted to choke everyone on the screen except Flo.

In any case, Bill Leff deserves better.

I always wanted to choke Flo. FMK Flo, Vera, Alice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:53 am 

I hate Alice and her stupid big gummed son Tommy. Everyone else was likeable. How do you not like Mel?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:10 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
I hate Alice and her stupid big gummed son Tommy. Everyone else was likeable. How do you not like Mel?

I thought Mel could be tougher. I was scared to death of Archie Bunker and my dad, but Mel had little effect on me. I'd probably hang out with him to make myself seem smarter, the way some chicks hang out with full-figured gals to make themselves appear skinnier. Also hate Tommy and his sister on The Facts de Life.

Tip: Alice, when she was in Barney Miller, was hot. She would have been better in a series like that. I can't stand it when New Yawkers colonize the rest of the country with their accents. (We did score a victory when Sipowicz was a member of the NYPD, though.)

@Dr. Chet: Flo was awesome! In small doses. I agree with the F part.

@CH: Gotta find the right western series. Even when you find the right ones, there's a lot of Disney/Hollywood garbage to sift through. Then you have to ignore lots of other stuff. Still....some good stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
good dolphin wrote:

I was told I looked a lot like Tommy growing up. Not quite as gummy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I thought Mel could be tougher. I was scared to death of Archie Bunker and my dad, but Mel had little effect on me. I'd probably hang out with him to make myself seem smarter, the way some chicks hang out with full-figured gals to make themselves appear skinnier. Also hate Tommy and his sister on The Facts de Life.

Tip: Alice, when she was in Barney Miller, was hot. She would have been better in a series like that. I can't stand it when New Yawkers colonize the rest of the country with their accents. (We did score a victory when Sipowicz was a member of the NYPD, though.)

@CH: Gotta find the right western series. Even when you find the right ones, there's a lot of Disney/Hollywood garbage to sift through. Then you have to ignore lots of other stuff. Still....some good stuff.

Was Flo supposed to be hot, or just slutty trailer trash?

One of my co-workers kind of looks like Beth Howland (Vera), except in her early 60s and a bit more gaunt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:41 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Tad Queasy wrote:
tommy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Was Flo supposed to be hot, or just slutty trailer trash?

One of my co-workers kind of looks like Beth Howland (Vera), except in her early 60s and a bit more gaunt.

I'm not sure, but I'm not too proud to admit that Polly Holliday was an early masturbation fantasy for a young JORR. I distinctly remember her wearing a super tight pair of white pants. But hey, it didn't take a whole lot to get the 13 year old me very excited.

On a separate note, one of my favorite bands we ever shared a stage with was Vic Tayback and the Violent Payback.