It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Terry Boers & Meat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:33 pm 

Boers with Meatpants this afternoon.

Great to hear Terry on the radio this afternoon. He sounds really good and glad to know his yule log is in fine form

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post subject: Re: Terry Boers & Meat
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Good pairing, and since all five teams suck, it's an easy day for Uncle Terry.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Very good listen.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Very good listen.

Definitely. They had some good (or, at the very least, interesting) baseball thoughts.

I had no idea that the Reds were trying to get Lindor.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Listened to podcast on walk yesterday and Terry drifted on Meat a few times as he is want to do. One of the great things about Terry is that he always has unique baseball thoughts, not sure if they are from the the guys he developed relationship over the years or if he really is a baseball savant, but his takes are frequently radically different from the usual parade of analytics clowns that take up oxygen on the "thinking fans station".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Burts place
Terry is with Hub next. Wonder if he'll bash him the way he used to.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Good pairing, and since all five teams suck, it's an easy day for Uncle Terry.

Mmmmhmmm, yep. My guy says that too.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Terry has no voice box

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Terry really does seem to know baseball. Basketball was his sport, I think, but it doesn't seem like he keeps up on it as much anymore.

Football was always his undoing.

I'm listening to him and Shep today and it's a decent listen. Even though Shep has a face for radio and a voice for producing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
City of Fools wrote:
Terry really does seem to know baseball. Basketball was his sport, I think, but it doesn't seem like he keeps up on it as much anymore.

I'm listening to him and Shep today and it's a decent listen. Even though Shep has a face for radio and a voice for producing.

I'd like to hear his thoughts on this 10 part ESPN series on the 90's Bulls.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
Franky T wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

is that out yet? They mentioned it briefly....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
City of Fools wrote:
Franky T wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

is that out yet? They mentioned it briefly....

Don't think so.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:34 pm 

Bababooey wrote:

Yup, Terry used to make fun of Hub's inept Bears thoughts, especially when he would go out of his way to defend "sweaty Teddy" or the McCaskey's. In fact, most of the hosts ripped Hub, Bernstein has appointed fellow tribesman Hub as the ultimate Bears authority and now nobody is allowed to question his Bears acumen. The current climate at the station prohibits hosts from questioning Bears ownership, a radical departure from the early days of the station where the hosts had a field day ripping the team. To this day Hub quickly shuts down questions from callers that challenge Ted Phillips or George McCaskey.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
City of Fools wrote:

This is true....Mac always could carry them during football season. It's part of what made the HFC so great.

Clawmaster wrote:
Bababooey wrote:

Yup, Terry used to make fun of Hub's inept Bears thoughts, especially when he would go out of his way to defend "sweaty Teddy" or the McCaskey's. In fact, most of the hosts ripped Hub, Bernstein has appointed fellow tribesman Hub as the ultimate Bears authority and now nobody is allowed to question his Bears acumen. The current climate at the station prohibits hosts from questioning Bears ownership, a radical departure from the early days of the station where the hosts had a field day ripping the team. To this day Hub quickly shuts down questions from callers that challenge Ted Phillips or George McCaskey.

Agreed with your Bernstein assessment, but in fairness to Mac and Parkins....they gave the Bears leadership some warranted criticism. Spiegel also take them to task. Parkins is holding on to his Nagy love by single thread. That shine has worn off.

Hub has decent thoughts across the NFL. He does defend the McClaskeys but not like he used to. The bigger mouthpiece at the station towing the Bears company line that makes me vomit is Haugh. It's nauseating.

Spiegel is the one that has evolved into someone with interesting thoughts. I don't know if he's laying off his music career and finally giving this more effort. I used to really find him completely irrelevant and without any substance but that's (finally) changed. I like the current version of Spiegel.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:17 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
They made fun of suck up Hub until he became a Score asset. Then they were forced to play nice. Then, eventually they developed an appreciation, like and camaraderie for/with Hub.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:23 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
Bababooey wrote:

Last week on Sports Talk Live show Hub ripped the Ricketts family. Basically saying they had contributed nothing to the community, and that any success the cubs had was due to Theo. Hub gave off the impression that any Cub budget issues were overblown by the family. I think he even hinted at the idea of not renewing his season tickets. Hub did admit he did not agree with the Ricketts on issues outside baseball which is a reason he has never liked the Ricketts family (politics obviously).

Fast forward a few days later after the Bear loss to KC, and a fan called in to the station and said that the Bears would never win with the McCaskey's owning the team. Hub immediately jumped to the McCaskey's defense and said that no, they were not the problem.

If you are going to go after the Ricketts, after five consecutive winning seasons and World Series title (along with renovating Wrigley Field), it's then hard to defend the McCaskey family with 5 winning seasons in 13 years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
enigma wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Bababooey wrote:

Last week on Sports Talk Live show Hub ripped the Ricketts family. Basically saying they had contributed nothing to the community, and that any success the cubs had was due to Theo. Hub gave off the impression that any Cub budget issues were overblown by the family. I think he even hinted at the idea of not renewing his season tickets. Hub did admit he did not agree with the Ricketts on issues outside baseball which is a reason he has never liked the Ricketts family (politics obviously).

Fast forward a few days later after the Bear loss to KC, and a fan called in to the station and said that the Bears would never win with the McCaskey's owning the team. Hub immediately jumped to the McCaskey's defense and said that no, they were not the problem.

If you are going to go after the Ricketts, after five consecutive winning seasons and World Series title (along with renovating Wrigley Field), it's then hard to defend the McCaskey family with 5 winning seasons in 13 years.

Didn't you just say that Hub ripped the Ricketts for doing nothing in the community?

Because Hub knows that the opposite of that is true with the McCaskeys.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:16 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
enigma wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Bababooey wrote:

Didn't you just say that Hub ripped the Ricketts for doing nothing in the community?

Because Hub knows that the opposite of that is true with the McCaskeys.

One of Hub's criticism's of the Ricketts was that they contributed nothing to the community (as best as I can recall the conversation). Now I don't have a scorecard regarding who has done what in the community between the Ricketts and McCaskeys but I think the Ricketts deserve at least some credit for the restoration of Wrigley, which was falling apart a decade ago. I don't think that is nothing.

Let's be honest, Hub doesn't like the Ricketts' politics which is why he was firing on them. He did say he had issues with them outside of sports (which I think he was severely downplaying). Because if you would just look at on the field success, the Bears under the McCaskeys (and even going back to the last 15 years of George Halas) have been a disappointment and have very rarely competed for Super Bowls. If you are not going to lay blame on ownership for lack of success with the Bears, then that would apply to the Cubs as well.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

You brought up the community aspect, I didn't.

I can promise you that Hub's politics don't dove tail with a lot of what the McCaskeys support either. But again, they are promoting programs for the poor on a daily basis in the city.

On the other hand, the Ricketts re-did a ballpark that has and will put millions of dollars in their pockets. THEIR POCKETS.

Hub's politics don't seem to have anything to do with the attempted community development that you are referring to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:03 pm 

Well the Ricketts renovation of Wrigley Field was done out of their pockets as well, so it would be fair to reap some of the benefits. And what would have happened to the neighborhood had the Cubs left Wrigley? Would all those bars, establishments and some of those local businesses have survived?

And honestly this argument is not my main point. Virginia McCaskey may be an angel, fine. But Hub ripping the Cubs ownership after 5 consecutive winning seasons and a World Series win and giving them no credit then defending the McCaskey ownership after another lost season, do you find that at all strange?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:14 pm 

Hub can hate the Ricketts all he wants...don't care. This i prime "who You crappin' material". The Ricketts have proven to be WAY better community advocates and committed to winning owners than the McCaskey family. Doesn't mean I think the Rickett's are good people...hardly.

Hub is a fan of the cubs. The Bears are responsible (formerly directly, now indirectly) to his income. The day Hub breaks bad on the McCaskey family is the day his media access deteriorates. He can fire away on the Cubs as much as he feels like and it doesn't change anything.

Hub is a fine football analyst. I enjoy his commentary. He can be very genuine and nice and also be a complete douchebag. Depends on the day. Clearly his political values impact his view on the Ricketts family. Good for him.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:18 pm 
Site Admin

enigma wrote:
Well the Ricketts renovation of Wrigley Field was done out of their pockets as well, so it would be fair to reap some of the benefits. And what would have happened to the neighborhood had the Cubs left Wrigley? Would all those bars, establishments and some of those local businesses have survived?

And honestly this argument is not my main point. Virginia McCaskey may be an angel, fine. But Hub ripping the Cubs ownership after 5 consecutive winning seasons and a World Series win and giving them no credit then defending the McCaskey ownership after another lost season, do you find that at all strange?

By your own post, he didn't rip them for winning. He ripped them for their lack of community involvement while giving the credit for winning all to Theo.

So the Cubs did get credit for winning. He just laid all of it on Theo's doorstep. Probably because they are both tribesman, amirite?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
enigma wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Bababooey wrote:

The Ricketts are weird ass corn stalk Nebraskan transplants living in northside as Cubs fans. Of course they don't contribute or care about the Community.

Last edited by Kirkwood on Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:24 pm 

enigma wrote:
All of the benefits. What businesses are better off besides the Cubs because of the renovations?

It's not charity to have a baseball team to the other local businesses especially when pretty much all of your decisions are to squeeze out any other business you can that doesn't result in direct payment to you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Lol at the hypocrites bashing the Ricketts. You wanna talk about commitment to the community? Lets talk about Reisndorf getting a stadium for basically free(1 mil lease) on the backs of the Illinois taxpayers.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:40 pm 

Hub didn't give credit to the Ricketts for any of the Cubs success. But he was certainly quick to blame the family for the Cub inaction this offseason and not the errors made in spending by Theo.

On the other hand Hub was quick to defend Bears ownership even though the team has won one championship the past 55 years.

I do not post much, but when I do I don't attack other posters and label them like anti-semites as you have done to me, Seacrest. I my first response would be to respond with a vulgarity of my own, but i do not wish to stoop to your level.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Caller Bob wrote:
Lol at the hypocrites bashing the Ricketts. You wanna talk about commitment to the community? Lets talk about Reisndorf getting a stadium for basically free(1 mil lease) on the backs of the Illinois taxpayers.

Porque no los dos?

Both are parasites.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:02 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
All of the benefits. What businesses are better off besides the Cubs because of the renovations?

Every single resident and business within walking proximity of Wrigley Field benefits from the investments made by the Ricketts family. The Ricketts family had zero to do with the growth and explosion of the neighborhood, but by bringing a championship and investing in the ballpark / surrounding area is good for all. Yes, it's good for the Ricketts family themselves you can't deny it benefits those who live and own businesses there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:12 pm 

Once you realize that Hub, and to be honest all of the Bears beat people, have to play nice with the McCaskey's in order to be granted enough access to the team to do their jobs you know that most of his "takes" on the team are simply not true. Remember hearing him shut down a post game show caller for questioning Phillips and the McCaskey's for blaming them for Pace's failures, Olin silenced Hub by simply asking, "who do you think hired Pace and Nagy", Hub sat in stunned silence for a second before quickly changing the subject. Cannot hate Hub for this, it's just the price of doing business. He is also a self professed former hippie liberal with meatball leftist takes on everything, again there is nothing wrong with this as everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but you must take this into account whenever listening to his opinions which are in fact opinions and are not facts, making him just as much a Bears expert as anyone who has played football or followed the team closely for years.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:48 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Every single resident and business within walking proximity of Wrigley Field benefits from the investments made by the Ricketts family. The Ricketts family had zero to do with the growth and explosion of the neighborhood, but by bringing a championship and investing in the ballpark / surrounding area is good for all. Yes, it's good for the Ricketts family themselves you can't deny it benefits those who live and own businesses there.
You didn't answer the question. The renovations were done almost exclusively to take control of revenue that was otherwise going to the neighborhood. The rooftops were hurt significantly. The Cubs added many more social spaces for people to eat and drink on Ricketts owned property. They created spaces for businesses to come in and pay them rent rather than others. The Cubs were already bringing in huge crowds so it isn't like they started to provide more customers to anyone that weren't there for a long time.

It's alright too. Good for the Ricketts for pushing out as many locals as they can to make as much money as possible. You just can't pretend that the neighborhood somehow benefited from the Cubs doing a massive expansion into and over the street.