Post subject: December ratings
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:10 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
https://www.robertfeder.com/2019/12/24/ ... BoAEq6hPe8

Post subject: Re: December ratings
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:23 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
TMX in freefall is interesting. Everyone criticized the way Hubbard sandbagged it on 100.3 for years and years, culminating in when they fired Robert Murphy for doing too well against Eric & Kathy. But now that they're programming it as essentially what the Mix sounded like in the late '90s-early 2000s, the station seems to be doing better than it should be and cannibalizing the actual Mix.

Also notable is that Lin and Mary were the only XRT hosts not to make the top ten in their daypart, though admittedly it's the most competitive one and not exactly being for everyone was always supposed to be part of the charm.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
It's no wonder WLIT loves going to Christmas music as early as they do.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
How long has WGCI been in the 2's? I knew they were eclipsed by WVAZ but I didn't realize they were below the middle of the pack.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:10 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
It's no wonder WLIT loves going to Christmas music as early as they do.

I'm really surprised they switch back as quickly as they do

I was on the road one year on June 25 and they played Christmas music all day as a halfway to christmas

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:46 pm 

The last few years when they were My FM, they dragged their feet on going back to Christmas music because they were a non-entity as plain old adult contemporary. They'd wait out the Holiday ratings book (the days left over in December after 12 cycles of 28 days) and make the most of that book. But when they went back to being The Lite FM, they wanted to hurry over to that and acquaint the captive audience with the old/new soft rock format. It must have worked to some extent because they're doing better as The Lite FM than they had as My FM. Not their hegemonic Christmas ratings, of course, but better.

Telegram Sam wrote:
How long has WGCI been in the 2's? I knew they were eclipsed by WVAZ but I didn't realize they were below the middle of the pack.

I think ever since the switch from diary to PPM, they've been way down there. WGN and GCI were the hardest hit by having to honestly report listening habits. But maybe it's just a bad time for top 40, urban or otherwise, B96 has been in the cellar and Kiss FM hasn't been much better.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:09 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Wonder if WSCR's rating will get an even bigger bump from the Cubs given the fact that the games may be unavailable on TV for a portion of the fandom. Ratings in non baseball months have revealed the softness of the current lineup, and while the impending coaches shows with Holmes tossing softballs to Grandpa Rossy are cringeworthy to most longtime score fans it's highly likely the station devolves into WCUBS this season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Clawmaster wrote:
Wonder if WSCR's rating will get an even bigger bump from the Cubs given the fact that the games may be unavailable on TV for a portion of the fandom. Ratings in non baseball months have revealed the softness of the current lineup, and while the impending coaches shows with Holmes tossing softballs to Grandpa Rossy are cringeworthy to most longtime score fans it's highly likely the station devolves into WCUBS this season.

Can't wait... softball interviews, Parkins sabermetrics to tell us not to believe our eyes, off limits topics, deify Theo, cheap baseball yes man "expert" Speigel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:31 am 

Why do you suppose not even one other station goes to Christmas music? Given the repetitiveness of the Lite’s selections (Mariah Carey or George Michael every 15 minutes), you’d think another station could get a bump from doing the same thing and playing a wider variety of songs.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:38 am 

100.3 tried that a few years ago. The idea was that it would be half Christmas, half regular AC. This was spectacularly dumb: it neither went deeper into the library than 93.9 does, nor could it function as holiday wall-to-wall background noise. This was 2014 and I don't think they ever tried it again. You can't beat the king with a literal half-measure.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2014/11/13/ ... mas-blend/

Quote:
Let the Christmas radio battle begin.

In what’s billed as a first for local radio, WILV FM 100.3 is offering listeners a 50/50 split of Christmas music and mainstream hits for the next six weeks.

Starting at 6 a.m. Thursday and airing continuously through Christmas Day, the Hubbard Radio station will alternate holiday classics with songs from its regular adult-contemporary playlist. They’re calling it “The Perfect Christmas Blend.”

”For more than a year now Hubbard Radio Chicago has been committed to re-inventing the standard AC [adult contemporary] format,” Marty Bender, program director of Chicago’s 100.3, said in a statement. “In that spirit, we are presenting a new way to hear the holiday. This is yet another unique ‘touch’ for our growing and lucratively targeted adult audience. This isn’t a radio strategy as much as it’s simply giving our listeners a balance of the two types of music they want to hear.”

The preemptive move steals the spotlight from iHeartMedia’s WLIT FM 93.9, which typically launches its nonstop Christmas music in mid-November. Officials of 93.9 My FM, which calls itself “Chicago’s Christmas Station,” would not disclose when they planned to switch, but it’s likely that Hubbard Radio’s maneuver will force their hand by Thursday.

I seem to remember WLS-FM in the '90s would break from simulcasting 890 to do all Christmas music.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:44 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
I'm really surprised they switch back as quickly as they do.
Don't they keep it going for a few days after xmas now? You would think they would stay with the Christmas format thru this weekend at least.

They used to change back right on the 26th. I remember having the radio on playing drinking games back in 2010 or 2011 when my wife still lived at home. It was midnight or maybe a couple of minutes after, and it went from Jingle Bells to Lady Gaga.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:52 am 

They already seem to have gotten back to business as usual, which is a heavily-edited-for-time "Somebody That I Used To Know."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:55 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
100.3 tried that a few years ago. The idea was that it would be half Christmas, half regular AC. This was spectacularly dumb: it neither went deeper into the library than 93.9 does, nor could it function as holiday wall-to-wall background noise. This was 2014 and I don't think they ever tried it again. You can't beat the king with a literal half-measure.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2014/11/13/ ... mas-blend/

Quote:
Let the Christmas radio battle begin.

In what’s billed as a first for local radio, WILV FM 100.3 is offering listeners a 50/50 split of Christmas music and mainstream hits for the next six weeks.

Starting at 6 a.m. Thursday and airing continuously through Christmas Day, the Hubbard Radio station will alternate holiday classics with songs from its regular adult-contemporary playlist. They’re calling it “The Perfect Christmas Blend.”

”For more than a year now Hubbard Radio Chicago has been committed to re-inventing the standard AC [adult contemporary] format,” Marty Bender, program director of Chicago’s 100.3, said in a statement. “In that spirit, we are presenting a new way to hear the holiday. This is yet another unique ‘touch’ for our growing and lucratively targeted adult audience. This isn’t a radio strategy as much as it’s simply giving our listeners a balance of the two types of music they want to hear.”

The preemptive move steals the spotlight from iHeartMedia’s WLIT FM 93.9, which typically launches its nonstop Christmas music in mid-November. Officials of 93.9 My FM, which calls itself “Chicago’s Christmas Station,” would not disclose when they planned to switch, but it’s likely that Hubbard Radio’s maneuver will force their hand by Thursday.

I seem to remember WLS-FM in the '90s would break from simulcasting 890 to do all Christmas music.

Interesting, thanks. WLIV probably failed because the 50/50 format tried to serve two audiences, but ended up serving neither.

I guess personally I’d like a station that had more Christmas variety. I never need to hear “Mommy kissing Santa clause” by the Jackson Five ever again.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:59 am 

Exactly. I believe in the playlisting principle of following an old song with a new one, or a slow one with a fast one, but I can't get behind pairing a masterpiece like "The Christmas Song" by Nat King Cole with "Let's Get Retarded In Here."

WXRT used to do blocks of alternative Christmas music in the evenings but doesn't anymore because they don't do anything anymore. Even on Christmas Day they still had to play the Cold War Kids song about complaining.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:43 pm 

I remember those XRT days—they played the Kinks “Father Christmas” and the Waitresses “Christmas Wrap.” Good stuff, and you can’t really find it now on the radio.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:57 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Hows my hero Julie doing without the Cubs to prop up her numbers?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:59 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Darkside wrote:

Not in the top 10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Seacrest wrote:
Darkside wrote:

Not in the top 10
GONE!

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
The lovely and talented Melissa Forman leading the way.

I'm old enough that I remember WGCI dethroning WGN for #1 being big news.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:07 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:

:lol: I see you too have been a longtime Feder reader!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:18 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

[peels apple with pocket knife]

In MY day Carol Marin was Feder's thinly-concealed crush.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

Wasn’t it Deborah Norville ? ( his not yours )

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:31 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Telegram Sam wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

Wasn’t it Deborah Norville ? ( his not yours )

Around the time channel 5 let Jerry Springer come on as a guest commentator (his show was shot in NBC tower) she and Ron Magers either quit or walked out. Late 90's/ early 00's. If his coluumns are archived, he finds a way to work her into almost every column. It was impressive to witness, like watching Jordan in his prime. (Micheal, not Bob.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:34 pm 

Yeah I remember their grandstanding over that . Springer wasn’t a real reporter and certainly couldn’t read a teleprompter as well as an educated professional like Ron Magers for sure .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:35 pm 

That stunt killed channel 5 news. Channel 7 took over and has never looked back. Of course, NBC losing the Jordan Bulls, Seinfeld, and the NFL in a six-month span didn't help keep an audience.

Springer ended up doing maybe one editorial, two max, and it was just like "kids shouldn't smoke" or something.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:36 pm 

In fairness she was in here prime, and she did have a thing about her. Strawberry blonde, alabaster skin. Probably smelled good. Always looked a little disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:38 pm 

That was the same time that Alison Rosati was in her prime. Panther Pisla has already shared his First Thing in the Morning fantasies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:41 pm 

Telegram Sam wrote:
In fairness she was in here prime, and she did have a thing about her. Strawberry blonde, alabaster skin. Probably smelled good. Always looked a little disappointed.

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:42 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Carol Marin is morphing into Hillary. Its... weird.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Telegram Sam wrote:

Louisville and weekend anchor Carol Marin could give all of today's TV women a run for their money in the looks department. And then it gradually went to hell over the last 40 years and now she looks like your dad's lesbian aunt who taught girls PE in the 70s and needed a roommate because housing costs were so high .