It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Murph retires
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
Fred Huebner just said on AM1000 that Murph has retired effective immediately. That sucks.

Post subject: Re: Murph retires
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
No more Browns Chicken adds....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:12 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
'77Cubs wrote:
Fred Huebner just said on AM1000 that Murph has retired effective immediately. That sucks.

"Effective immediately" sounds uncomfortably abrupt. Health issues?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Wasn't he fighting cancer for a while?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Wouldn't be surprised if it is health issues.

Sucks.

Been listening to him ever since he had the show on 890. Only show I've ever called in to.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Great passionate Cubs talk through the years. Did a complete reversal being a Maddon apologist though. Shame he didn't participate in score specials and anniversaries. He holds a vendetta for life. Fred seemed pissed when he announced it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:39 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Great passionate Cubs talk through the years. Did a complete reversal being a Maddon apologist though. Shame he didn't participate in score specials and anniversaries. He holds a vendetta for life. Fred seemed pissed when he announced it.

Yeah Murph does have his issues but will miss his opinions. I heard him last week saying he was the longest tenured guy on Chicago sports radio so clearly he has been contemplating retirement. He beat cancer previously. Hope he's healthy. I've also been a fan going back to 890. Huebner definitely didn't seem pleased as it probably jeopardizes this Sat morning gig and Fred hasn't exactly been pulling down big bucks in his career despite being a good listen...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:42 am 

vitoscotti wrote:

Did he not want to participate in Score stuff or did B&B use their stroke to shut him out?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
'77Cubs wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Yeah Murph does have his issues but will miss his opinions. I heard him last week saying he was the longest tenured guy on Chicago sports radio

I don't know about that, or what he meant by "tenured." Grobber is clocking in at about 40 years.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Bet it was sexual harassment

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
An eccentric character with strong takes, brought a ton of energy to his shows. The way the score personalities piled on him over the years became kind of creepy, it's not like most of them didn't have annoying idiosyncrasies. In the early days of the score each show brought a little different flavor, vastly different than the cookie cutter boring crap with everyone agreeing on everything we have today.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:47 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Yeah Murph does have his issues but will miss his opinions. I heard him last week saying he was the longest tenured guy on Chicago sports radio

I don't know about that, or what he meant by "tenured." Grobber is clocking in at about 40 years.

Agreed. Just passing along what he said to give context to today's annoucement by Fred.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
i listened to Murph a lot when he was on in the mornings. Much more entertaining and better looking than Bernstein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:15 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
i listened to Murph a lot when he was on in the mornings. Much more entertaining and better looking than Bernstein

Did you ever suck his cock?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Burts place
Douchebag wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

You sound jealous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:26 pm 

Bababooey wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

You sound jealous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:30 pm 

Murph consistently did a pretty good show on maximum effort. Boers and Bernstein could do amazing shows on zero effort. I'll always think that was part of the resentment.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:20 pm 

I love when the producer would piss Murph off and he'd demand they go to break. I'm sure Murph had a hissy fit, then he'd gain his composure after break. I've listened to Murph since the Saturday afternoon wls days. Got to remember this is before the score and all there was was fake wgn cubs talk, 4-6 afternoon Harvey local (mostly sox) with pre score callers and a few night guys here and there .Would that be a must listen if Murph and the guys buried the hatchet and he did the score like Terry does talking old score.

Very odd this week Les talked about Murph which he usually never does. He must know something. Les was tool of the week way back and still has the hammer he won.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:25 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
I love when the producer would piss Murph off and he'd demand they go to break. I'm sure Murph had a hissy fit, then he'd gain his composure after break. I've listened to Murph since the Saturday afternoon wls days. Got to remember this is before the score and all there was was fake wgn cubs talk, 4-6 afternoon Harvey local (mostly sox) with pre score callers and a few night guys here and there .Would that be a must listen if Murph and the guys buried the hatchet and he did the score like Terry does talking old score.

Very odd this week Les talked about Murph which he usually never does. He must know something. Les was tool of the week way back and still has the hammer he won.

What did Les have to say about Murph?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:31 pm 

Would be nice if Mac extended an olive branch if he hasn't done so in the past.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: The Hut
So nobody yet knows what is up with Murph?

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:48 pm 

FukNuggitt wrote:
So nobody yet knows what is up with Murph?

Just what has been posted. He told Fred he is retiring and he wasn't on "Murph and Fred" this morning...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Murph was my first exposure to the Score, since I couldn't catch the other shows due to work. He prepared way more than any other host, and while his bits didn't always succeed, I appreciated his effort.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:00 pm 

He also could have been let go - and they're saying it was retired. Murph has a thin skin for those types of things - bits that others thought of he wanted to make it sound like his, etc. Still - I'll miss some of his takes on things.Whatever is happening, hope he is ok.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
I have limited exposure to him. My one take away about him is that he was part of the worst Score line up this century: Mully and Hanley, Hamp and Holmes, Murph, and then Boers & Bernstein. I remember Mac had him on as a guest on one of his shows but also would not hesitate to make fun of him. Also, most of the long-tenured producers seem to hate him.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:39 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
I have limited exposure to him. My one take away about him is that he was part of the worst Score line up this century: Mully and Hanley, Hamp and Holmes, Murph, and then Boers & Bernstein.

Was it worse than having North in the morning and Telander in the afternoon? That one was pretty bad, but almost entirely due to Hamp and Holmes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
I have limited exposure to him. My one take away about him is that he was part of the worst Score line up this century: Mully and Hanley, Hamp and Holmes, Murph, and then Boers & Bernstein.

Was it worse than having North in the morning and Telander in the afternoon? That one was pretty bad, but almost entirely due to Hamp and Holmes.

Telander was before my time as a Score listener. If his show was being aired during this century, I'll amend my previous statement to say the worst lineup from 2003 to 2020. Also, North is a knucklehead but he's a more interesting radio host than Mully or Hanley.

Edit. I now see that Telander was on after 2003. That show must not have made an impression on me.

Last edited by Warren Newson on Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
So much for "Good Karma".....Murph the first among many I am guessing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:58 am 

'77Cubs wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

A caller brought up "tool of the week" and Les talked about it for awhile which he never talks about anyone currently on espn 1000.

Fred- You may have noticed I'm am here today, by myself, because my guy Mike Murphy has decided, at this time, to hang up his headphones. So we'll keep going, going forward.

Fred and Shuster are the last of the Mohicans of original score guys as we stand now on the air. Les just kills time talking about yesteryear. Mac is saddled with Parkins and tied at the hip to the Cubs thus unable to speak freely about a huge topic. Early score gofers Speigel and Larry are unlistenable.

I always listen to Fred if he's subbing if I get the chance. Saturdays first hour had some great Bear's topics, and points made by callers, and Dan Weiderer. The Murph update is about 25.00 https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0c ... kRuMlk0MGE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:20 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
'77Cubs wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

A caller brought up "tool of the week" and Les talked about it for awhile which he never talks about anyone currently on espn 1000.

Fred- You may have noticed I'm am here today, by myself, because my guy Mike Murphy has decided, at this time, to hang up his headphones. So we'll keep going, going forward.

Fred and Shuster are the last of the Mohicans of original score guys as we stand now on the air. Les just kills time talking about yesteryear. Mac is saddled with Parkins and tied at the hip to the Cubs thus unable to speak freely about a huge topic. Early score gofers Speigel and Larry are unlistenable.

I always listen to Fred if he's subbing if I get the chance. Saturdays first hour had some great Bear's topics, and points made by callers, and Dan Weiderer. The Murph update is about 25.00 https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0c ... kRuMlk0MGE