It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Murph retires
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:23 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I hate Murph. Like Fred, he's a good Berwyn boy.

Fred, Shuster, Les, Shorty George, all the voices of my teenage years calling SportsPhone to find out MLB scores.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I hate Murph. Like Fred, he's a good Berwyn boy.

Fred, Shuster, Les, Shorty George, all the voices of my teenage years calling SportsPhone to find out MLB scores.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DtvXtLBSN8c

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:04 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I appreciated the meatball in Murph but didn't think he was worth listening to outside of talking Cubs baseball. I hope he is doing well when it comes to his health.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:14 pm 

I think the hosts wish fans remembered murph less fondly than they do. The guy pulled good ratings across multiple stations and time slots but we are supposed to hate him because he treated drinks poorly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:58 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Murph's bounce from evenings to morning drive back to evenings to middays to a designed-to-be-refused offer of weekends is pretty strange. Murph & Fred were the Score's only successful morning show until Mully & Hanley took off, yet he got sent all the way down the ladder to make room for North. And then when Mac came back, despite the solid ratings in middays, Mitch had no further use for Murph at all. Laurence failed up on many occasions while Murph succeeded down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I enjoyed him in small doses. But he is one of those Cubs cheerleaders that annoys real baseball fans. I did like the whole Jim Riggalmortis (sp?) bit.

I have no use for Fred. If I recall he wanted to talk soccer.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:44 pm 

I've seen this on here before:
https://mediaburn.org/video/chicago-sli ... rphy-wscr/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
vitoscotti wrote:

Good stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: The Hut
'77Cubs wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Good stuff.

This is impressive. Much props to Murph. I really respect people who are this organized.

Election 2020-The Largest Fraud in the History of Mankind.

*If you believe that Biden won, you also believe that Epstein killed himself*

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
MCFAIL, THATS F-A-I-L!

*HONK HONK*

anyone else wanna suds up in the shower with a 69 cub?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
vitoscotti wrote:

Love the Zubaz on Danny Mac.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:20 pm 

Interesting how even ex score guys who don't have to be ass kissers like Shaer, and Rozner don't stand up for Murph that he should be invited to score anniversary shows. It's like he never existed when the clock is turned back and the past is revisited. Was Mitch Rosen even there during the early Murph days to hold a grudge? How could everyone hate his guts? Or, maybe it's all on Murph that he is an asshole and he's holding the grudge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
There was a time I liked Murph and his compressed show in the evenings. Maybe only hearing his shtick for an hour was okay.. looked like they at least got along for one evening in fall of 93.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:17 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
I do recall hearing that Mitch reached out to Murph inviting him to the Toast to Terry sign off, but that Murph did not offer a response.

I think Mac acknowledge that on air during his panel or shortly after he was hired back with Parkins.

Wouldn't expect Murph in any universe to use an event for Terry as his opportunity to bury the hatchet as far as any of his WSCR grievances go.

I also seem to recall during the ESPN 1000 20th anniversary broadcast last year, Murph was one of the few talents who were not part of the day's festivities. Not sure if that means anything, but possibly worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:24 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
vitoscotti wrote:
Interesting how even ex score guys who don't have to be ass kissers like Shaer, and Rozner don't stand up for Murph that he should be invited to score anniversary shows. It's like he never existed when the clock is turned back and the past is revisited. Was Mitch Rosen even there during the early Murph days to hold a grudge? How could everyone hate his guts? Or, maybe it's all on Murph that he is an asshole and he's holding the grudge.

the guy is a bag..... what is so hard to understand? you listen to WSCR 23 hours a day, you should have heard all of the murph is a bag stories 3-4 times by now as told by the various producers who worked for him

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:36 am 

He is prob embarrassed that his info saying Castellanos was signing with the Cubs is wrong

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Jaw Breaker wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Love the Zubaz on Danny Mac.

Interesting to see how different the approach was during the early days of the station. They rarely take callers anymore. The give and take between the strange callers and even stranger hosts, along with the sometimes confrontational interviews created much of the stations content. Seemed to speed up the pace of the shows because they would give callers a few seconds and move on, now they let the "experts" drone on and on about nothing, only way to consume the station today is via podcast when you can fast forward past boring ass contributors like Sage Rosenfels, Florio, and hosts like McKnight, Holmes, and Mully.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Warren Newson wrote:
I have limited exposure to him. My one take away about him is that he was part of the worst Score line up this century: Mully and Hanley, Hamp and Holmes, Murph, and then Boers & Bernstein.

Was it worse than having North in the morning and Telander in the afternoon? That one was pretty bad, but almost entirely due to Hamp and Holmes.

Telander was before my time as a Score listener. If his show was being aired during this century, I'll amend my previous statement to say the worst lineup from 2003 to 2020. Also, North is a knucklehead but he's a more interesting radio host than Mully or Hanley.

Edit. I now see that Telander was on after 2003. That show must not have made an impression on me.

Telander was a stain on humanity.

Murph didn't bring much in terms of thoughts, be he was cool to callers and some of them (during the baseball season) had good thoughts. He wasn't very mature or self-aware, though, and that made his show kind of funny, but I always felt bad for him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I started listening to the score in 1996.
Murph is a guy that still perplexes me. He was a good host....for Baseball. Anything else....meh. The guy spoke and acted like he was 80 years old even back then. I give him credit as he was prepared, was decent to callers.

On the other hand, I have zero doubt he was a complete weirdo and a guy I'd hate to have to work with. to this day when Terry breaks into Murph imitation....I laugh.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Seeing that cramped broadcast room on Belmont, I'm amazed that Jiggetts and North even fit. On some level, the uncomfortable quarters probably made the final product better.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Seeing that cramped broadcast room on Belmont, I'm amazed that Jiggetts and North even fit. On some level, the uncomfortable quarters probably made the final product better.

I can't believe Jiggetts is still alive given that 400+ lb dearth.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:20 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I just wish one of those yahoos would have snapped a picture of Murph wearing the leather pants :lol: :lol:

Yea, Jiggs in that tiny closet with another host....oof.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Martin wrote:
I do recall hearing that Mitch reached out to Murph inviting him to the Toast to Terry sign off, but that Murph did not offer a response.

I think Mac acknowledge that on air during his panel or shortly after he was hired back with Parkins.

Wouldn't expect Murph in any universe to use an event for Terry as his opportunity to bury the hatchet as far as any of his WSCR grievances go.

I also seem to recall during the ESPN 1000 20th anniversary broadcast last year, Murph was one of the few talents who were not part of the day's festivities. Not sure if that means anything, but possibly worth mentioning.

Martin, where ya been???? Long time guy!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:28 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Murph is a guy that still perplexes me. He was a good host....for Baseball. Anything else....meh. The guy spoke and acted like he was 80 years old even back then. I give him credit as he was prepared, was decent to callers.

On the other hand, I have zero doubt he was a complete weirdo and a guy I'd hate to have to work with. to this day when Terry breaks into Murph imitation....I laugh.

I think the old score was like a frat house and any odd person was a target.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Jaw Breaker wrote:

I did about 45 minutes with Jiggs & North in January of 95. It was VERY cramped.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:02 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

Alcoholics, drug & gambling addicts, low wage under achieving producers, racists, sexists, loners. Murph is the odd one?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Warren Newson wrote:
I have limited exposure to him. My one take away about him is that he was part of the worst Score line up this century: Mully and Hanley, Hamp and Holmes, Murph, and then Boers & Bernstein. I remember Mac had him on as a guest on one of his shows but also would not hesitate to make fun of him. Also, most of the long-tenured producers seem to hate him.

Back in the spring of '09, The Score did the Ultimate Chicago Sports Nut trivia contest. I was in the final 4...so they had a big remote on a Thursday afternoon...Hamp & Holmes, Murph, and B & B. The semi finals (my elimination) were the last segment of Hamp & Holmes. That show was terrible, but my takeaway was Hampton looked like he'd rather be anywhere else than in Rosemont talking about the Blackhawks and Sox. My impression of Murph is that he slinked in the back entrance...popped up at the table they were broadcasting from...came up right behind Laurence like the butler in Mr Deeds...creepy...then slunk back out the back when Boers started walking to the table.

As an aside, they had a VIP setup with buffet, etc for us, open bar and all...Mitch popped over and was talking to us...asked us what we didn't like about the station, and the universal answer was Murph.

My favorite parts of that time slot were when Doug & OB would do a delayed Bears post game from 12-2 after a night game...or when Brian Paruch sat in.

Oh well...hope his health is well, but if I never hear his voice on the radio again, I'm good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:27 pm 

Murph certainly is the polarizing figure.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
vitoscotti wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

Alcoholics, drug & gambling addicts, low wage under achieving producers, racists, sexists, loners. Murph is the odd one?

GD is right. That's a normal frat house.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:32 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
My favorite parts of that time slot were when Doug & OB would do a delayed Bears post game from 12-2 after a night game...or when Brian Paruch sat in.

Yeah, I remember them doing that in 2007. It really didn't work. The magic of the Doug & OB show was that it was all heat of the moment and usually at a bar where there were people cheering for their anger. When it was just the two of them in the studio on a 12-hour turnaround, it was like listening to a Hub show.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next