It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: WGN TV News
PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Pat Tomasulo is bringing his comedy show to the Egyptian Theater in DeKalb tonight. I was at my regular bar after work which is basically across the street. The people coming in for dinner who I presumed were going to his show were older than I thought. I get the "WGN is for old people" thing but I thought the morning news show audience skewed a little younger like people my age (50). Most of these people were in their 60's. Small sample size but I was surprised.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Franky T wrote:
Pat Tomasulo is bringing his comedy show to the Egyptian Theater in DeKalb tonight. I was at my regular bar after work which is basically across the street. The people coming in for dinner who I presumed were going to his show were older than I thought. I get the "WGN is for old people" thing but I thought the morning news show audience skewed a little younger like people my age (50). Most of these people were in their 60's. Small sample size but I was surprised.

Is he funny? I assume he is not.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:58 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Franky T wrote:

Is he funny? I assume he is not.

I've watched some of his stand up clips online and they are fine. Would probably be an enjoyable evening.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Franky T wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
For the life of me I don’t get the love for the fugly Tumulty or the remarkably average Sarah Jindra.

Sarah Jindra has my kind of body. She's thick in all the right places.

Sarah has been promoted out of the 4am shift into co-hosting a weekday hourlong "around town" show, with a refugee from Windy City Live as the other host. It isn't clear if it's going to be live or follow the old PM Magazine format that has been around in various forms for decades. At least Ana Beleval isn't the co-host, she gets on my nerves.

She posted some promo photos today on her FB feed. Packing a lot of chest into a 5'3"-ish frame these days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
For the life of me I don’t get the love for the fugly Tumulty or the remarkably average Sarah Jindra.

Sarah has been promoted out of the 4am shift into co-hosting a weekday hourlong "around town" show, with a refugee from Windy City Live as the other host. It isn't clear if it's going to be live or follow the old PM Magazine format that has been around in various forms for decades. At least Ana Beleval isn't the co-host, she gets on my nerves.

She posted some promo photos today on her FB feed. Packing a lot of chest into a 5'3"-ish frame these days.

Jindra

I love her

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 8:19 pm 

I wouldn't know. WGN has been off DirecTV for a week. Dispute with Nextstar. It sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:05 pm 

Franky T wrote:
I wouldn't know. WGN has been off DirecTV for a week. Dispute with Nextstar. It sucks.

I don't get WGN down here, so it is just whatever floats across my Facebook feed.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Franky T wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

I'm happy for sarah, but I will miss her in the mornings. She is gorgeous. That backup lady Shannon is a robot

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:07 am 

It doesnt seem like they've landed on the replacement for sarah in the mornings. first month it was robot shannon halligan, last few weeks it's been kelly davies. neither is sarah tho... :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:19 am 

billypootons wrote:
It doesnt seem like they've landed on the replacement for sarah in the mornings. first month it was robot shannon halligan, last few weeks it's been kelly davies. neither is sarah tho... :(

I miss her too, billy. I miss her too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:00 pm 

I've seen clips of Sarah and the Asian chick's new show. It's cringeworthy but I'm not the target audience, Spaulding probably is.

Hopefully this show is just a holding pattern until some anchors retire and they can shuffle things around.

Meanwhile, the weather staff gets shuffled around, but they have enough part timers that they don't need to bring anyone else on.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:07 am 

Ben Bradley was happily paying less on property taxes on his $1.7M hinsdale home thanks to a screwup by the county. lucky guy

Quote:
HINSDALE, IL – Cook County failed to get $105,000 in back taxes that it says it was owed for WGN reporter Ben Bradley's former house in Hinsdale.

The assessor's office did not issue the bill until a new owner took possession last year. Bradley lived in the house for more than a decade with abnormally low tax bills.

In July 2022, Patch spotlighted Bradley's house in the 200 block of North County Line Road.

He put his house on the market for $1.9 million, but he was only paying $5,000 a year in property taxes. A house like that would typically generate $40,000 in taxes.

It turns out the Cook County Assessor's Office never assessed the house after it was built in 2010. The county still was assessing a century-old, far smaller house that had been demolished to make way for Bradley's 6,100-square-foot home.

Last October, Bradley sold the house for nearly $1.7 million.

The country tried to charge the new owner $105,000 in taxes for the previous three years because the house was "omitted" from the tax rolls. Under state law, it can go back no longer than three years.

But the new owners, Michael Muskievicz and Erin Brown, appealed to the county's Board of Review, which rejected the assessor's back charges.

According to Board of Review documents, the county cannot charge a homeowner for back taxes from before the owner took possession.

Asked about the assessment issue, Bradley's attorney, William Cadigan, said it was a matter between the new owner and the county.

David Lavin, the attorney for Muskievicz and Brown, said the previous owner benefitted from the low assessment, not his clients.

"(Muskievicz and Brown) didn't gain one penny from any of that," he said.

No local taxing body lost any money as a result of the assessment mistake. Instead, other taxpayers picked up the slack.

Lyons Township Assessor Patrick Hynes, whose area includes east Hinsdale, said the assessor should never have issued the bill for back taxes. The agency, he said, was not following state law.

He said a person without the money to pay for a lawyer may have paid the back taxes without appealing.

"It's one of the many ways our system lets the rich guy get the pass while the regular joe takes it on the chin," Hynes said in an interview. "If you send these illegal assessments, some people will end up paying."

In Cook County, township assessors serve as taxpayer advocates. They have no power to assess properties.

Hynes has watched for properties that don't make it on the tax rolls. He has been a critic of the assessor's office, where he worked for years.

In an email to Patch, Angelina Romero, a spokeswoman for the assessor's office, said her agency is allowed to charge "omitted" assessments under state law.

"In the appeal filing, the attorney submitted no evidence to support that we knew about any improvements by way of permit or otherwise at any point in time between 2010 and 2022," Romero said. "The Assessor’s Office has no evidence of a permit between that time period."

Romero disputed the idea that poorer homeowners are put at a disadvantage. Filing an appeal is free, and no lawyer is required, she said. And she said the assessor's office helps by providing both in-person and virtual workshops on how to file appeals.

Hynes said the assessor's office cannot back tax to correct its own "misfeasance."

"The property tax code does not allow them to back tax this parcel. They received a permit when originally built, and the property sold prior to the request for back taxes," Hynes said in an email to Patch. "(T)he attempt to back tax will not pass legal muster."

Patch has written about other Cook County assessment problems in Hinsdale and La Grange.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
billypootons wrote:
Ben Bradley was happily paying less on property taxes on his $1.7M hinsdale home thanks to a screwup by the county. lucky guy

Quote:
HINSDALE, IL – Cook County failed to get $105,000 in back taxes that it says it was owed for WGN reporter Ben Bradley's former house in Hinsdale.

The assessor's office did not issue the bill until a new owner took possession last year. Bradley lived in the house for more than a decade with abnormally low tax bills.

In July 2022, Patch spotlighted Bradley's house in the 200 block of North County Line Road.

He put his house on the market for $1.9 million, but he was only paying $5,000 a year in property taxes. A house like that would typically generate $40,000 in taxes.

It turns out the Cook County Assessor's Office never assessed the house after it was built in 2010. The county still was assessing a century-old, far smaller house that had been demolished to make way for Bradley's 6,100-square-foot home.

Last October, Bradley sold the house for nearly $1.7 million.

The country tried to charge the new owner $105,000 in taxes for the previous three years because the house was "omitted" from the tax rolls. Under state law, it can go back no longer than three years.

But the new owners, Michael Muskievicz and Erin Brown, appealed to the county's Board of Review, which rejected the assessor's back charges.

According to Board of Review documents, the county cannot charge a homeowner for back taxes from before the owner took possession.

Asked about the assessment issue, Bradley's attorney, William Cadigan, said it was a matter between the new owner and the county.

David Lavin, the attorney for Muskievicz and Brown, said the previous owner benefitted from the low assessment, not his clients.

"(Muskievicz and Brown) didn't gain one penny from any of that," he said.

No local taxing body lost any money as a result of the assessment mistake. Instead, other taxpayers picked up the slack.

Lyons Township Assessor Patrick Hynes, whose area includes east Hinsdale, said the assessor should never have issued the bill for back taxes. The agency, he said, was not following state law.

He said a person without the money to pay for a lawyer may have paid the back taxes without appealing.

"It's one of the many ways our system lets the rich guy get the pass while the regular joe takes it on the chin," Hynes said in an interview. "If you send these illegal assessments, some people will end up paying."

In Cook County, township assessors serve as taxpayer advocates. They have no power to assess properties.

Hynes has watched for properties that don't make it on the tax rolls. He has been a critic of the assessor's office, where he worked for years.

In an email to Patch, Angelina Romero, a spokeswoman for the assessor's office, said her agency is allowed to charge "omitted" assessments under state law.

"In the appeal filing, the attorney submitted no evidence to support that we knew about any improvements by way of permit or otherwise at any point in time between 2010 and 2022," Romero said. "The Assessor’s Office has no evidence of a permit between that time period."

Romero disputed the idea that poorer homeowners are put at a disadvantage. Filing an appeal is free, and no lawyer is required, she said. And she said the assessor's office helps by providing both in-person and virtual workshops on how to file appeals.

Hynes said the assessor's office cannot back tax to correct its own "misfeasance."

"The property tax code does not allow them to back tax this parcel. They received a permit when originally built, and the property sold prior to the request for back taxes," Hynes said in an email to Patch. "(T)he attempt to back tax will not pass legal muster."

Patch has written about other Cook County assessment problems in Hinsdale and La Grange.
I wonder what showed up on the listing for taxes. Probably every neighbor checked Zillow when the house went on the market. I can’t imagine it showed $5K and nobody noticed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
I wonder what showed up on the listing for taxes. Probably every neighbor checked Zillow when the house went on the market. I can’t imagine it showed $5K and nobody noticed.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/233- ... 2838_zpid/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
a genius wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

If you were a neighbor, would you have snitched?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:26 am 

Nardi wrote:
a genius wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Since it would have no direct impact on me, highly doubtful. I'm pretty much a live and let live kind of guy. I would just be sure to keep up with my own tax appeals, which I do anyhow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
a genius wrote:
Nardi wrote:
a genius wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

Since it would have no direct impact on me, highly doubtful. I'm pretty much a live and let live kind of guy. I would just be sure to keep up with my own tax appeals, which I do anyhow.

If his neighbors did their own tax appeals, it certainly should have been used as a comp to get their own taxes reduced.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:26 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
a genius wrote:
Nardi wrote:
a genius wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

If his neighbors did their own tax appeals, it certainly should have been used as a comp to get their own taxes reduced.

Speaking of reductions if it was never reassessed after the 2010 rebuild how did it get a such big reduction in 2014? If fake info was provided to secure the reduction shouldn't someone be liable for that?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 2:52 pm 

They announced their new morning traffic woman today. Someone original from the area who has been working in Milwaukee. Seems about that same 25-26 age that Morgan was when she joined.

https://twitter.com/BrhettVickery

Doubt she's going to be as fun-loving as Sarah, but then again she might end up on maternity leave sooner rather than later, and Sarah's in her 40s so they need younger blood.

Meanwhile, I've seen a couple of clips from that Spotlight Chicago show that they stuck Sarah on so that she didn't have to wake up at 2am anymore, and it is all cringe-worthy.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:28 pm 

They announced their new morning traffic woman today. Someone original from the area who has been working in Milwaukee. Seems about that same 25-26 age that Morgan was when she joined.

https://twitter.com/BrhettVickery

Doubt she's going to be as fun-loving as Sarah, but then again she might end up on maternity leave sooner rather than later, and Sarah's in her 40s so they need younger blood.

Meanwhile, I've seen a couple of clips from that Spotlight Chicago show that they stuck Sarah on so that she didn't have to wake up at 2am anymore, and it is all cringe-worthy.

It seems to be the exact same show as the one they have on at 10am.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:59 pm 

She might want to tell her mom (and all her other followers) to replace the fox app with the wgn app.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2023 10:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Sammy's
Morgan and Jindra are personal favorites. If I was a half a bottle of bourbon deep, I’d listen to Bronah and probably go for it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:51 pm 

did anyone watch the skilling send off? was it ever reported is he being shown the door or was it his decision? will the new guy get 15 minutes to do the weather or will they reclaim that time for more commercials?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
billypootons wrote:
did anyone watch the skilling send off? was it ever reported is he being shown the door or was it his decision? will the new guy get 15 minutes to do the weather or will they reclaim that time for more commercials?

(1) It was on in the background for a bit, but even my wife tired of the over-the-top lovefest and shut off the TV.
(2) Definitely his decision
(3) The new guy is Demetrius Ivory
(4) more commercials

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Bennys
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
billypootons wrote:

(1) It was on in the background for a bit, but even my wife tired of the over-the-top lovefest and shut off the TV.
(4) more commercials

It was a bit sappy but I think most expect that from WGN. His decision. He said he’s not even leaving. He will continue to work just not every day.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:16 pm 

MANY retirees stopped by. Steve Sanders looked a bit bloated and odd with orange hair. Dan Roan looked good.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
a genius wrote:
MANY retirees stopped by. Steve Sanders looked a bit bloated and odd with orange hair. Dan Roan looked good.

i saw Dan Roan is part of some celebrity spelling bee thing for charity. Hopefully he gets 'cat'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:51 pm 
1000 CLUB

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
billypootons wrote:

(4) more commercials

Why wouldn't they give Morgan the main job vs. hiring someone outside? Isn't she at the top of her game right now?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:32 pm 

BD wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
billypootons wrote:

(4) more commercials

Why wouldn't they give Morgan the main job vs. hiring someone outside? Isn't she at the top of her game right now?

Ivory has been there longer than Kolkmeyer. There was little doubt in my mind he was the next person up.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:29 pm 

a genius wrote:
BD wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
billypootons wrote:

(4) more commercials

Ivory has been there longer than Kolkmeyer. There was little doubt in my mind he was the next person up.

Plus, Morgan strikes me as someone who loves her shift. Getting up at 2:00am must suck, but on most days she's probably home by 8:00am and gets to spend the day with her young children.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next