It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:54 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm surprised that so many here did not start listening until the 2000s. I was pretty young when I started listening. I remember Goff calling in when he was just a kid.

Another fun memory is after the Pierzynski Barrett fight, Bernie Mac called into the station, but just as a fan, rather than as a celebrity. And this is when he was probably at the height of his fame. You could hear how excited he was about the fight and the White Sox win in his voice. I was at the game, and stuck in traffic on the Dan Ryan when I heard the call.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
beni hanna wrote:
First time listening may have been Baum and Rosenbloom. Stumbled onto them. Then November 2004. High Noon. What a couple of goofs. I was hooked.

When were you a Baum and Rosenbloom listener?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I had Bears season tickets for 18 years. Doug and OB post game in the car ride home was the best radio ever. Ironically, it was even better after a loss—as much as I love the Bears, I didn’t feel the pain of the loss as much as those two. And although their act was probably 75% “shtick,” it seemed genuine.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The McGinnis thing is probably what I remember first. I didn’t start listening until 99 or so, but B&B on 9/11 always sticks with me.

As I have said before, North did a good job with 9-11. I was driving a couple kids home from Mount Carmel, so I had him on for about an hour that day. Much of it was just him reading reports, pausing, and saying "Wow," but it was more informative than listening to whoever was on 720.

I dozed off just after dinner and had a dream that Doug and O'B had a show about the events of that day. It was, in retrospect, hilarious.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:19 am 

tommy wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:
The McGinnis thing is probably what I remember first. I didn’t start listening until 99 or so, but B&B on 9/11 always sticks with me.

As I have said before, North did a good job with 9-11. I was driving a couple kids home from Mount Carmel, so I had him on for about an hour that day. Much of it was just him reading reports, pausing, and saying "Wow," but it was more informative than listening to whoever was on 720.

I dozed off just after dinner and had a dream that Doug and O'B had a show about the events of that day. It was, in retrospect, hilarious.

Hey what happened last night Thomas? You just left all of us hanging

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:24 am 

RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

An old friend of mine began texting me--the guy had a kidney transplant a few years back and it hasn't been going well, so I was just kind of listening to him blow off steam....

That was a good time, though, while I was there!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:27 am 

tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

An old friend of mine began texting me--the guy had a kidney transplant a few years back and it hasn't been going well, so I was just kind of listening to him blow off steam....

Well that is a much better use of your time.

Just messing with ya. It was a good time. I hope we use that forum more in the future.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
"Are you the 55 miler?!"

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Seacrest wrote:
beni hanna wrote:
First time listening may have been Baum and Rosenbloom. Stumbled onto them. Then November 2004. High Noon. What a couple of goofs. I was hooked.

Maybe you can tell me. The Me and Z show followed. I'm guessing it was 2003? They were hilarious. Baum lived by his 50% love/hate concept as I recall. I was new to it. Same show you could love him and hate him.

Edit IIRC Zampillo left after maybe 6 months or less.

Last edited by beni hanna on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:26 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Maybe you can tell me. The Me and Z show followed. I'm guessing it was 2003? They were hilarious. Baum lived by his 50% love/hate concept as I recall. I was new to it. Same show you could love him and hate him.

I remember Me and Z doing a segment during the NCAA tourney on white college basketball players that white people hate. Entertaining radio. If I remember correctly the names that came up most were Laettner, Montross, Wojo and JJ Reddick.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Baum on Saturday's is my earliest memory. Also remember Mully doing some solo shows on Saturday.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Listening to the Score when they were in the bunker on Belmont was great. The Score (and sports radio in general) was outlaw radio.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:00 pm 

beni hanna wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Edit IIRC Zampillo left after maybe 6 months or less.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
beni hanna wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Baum lived by his 50% love/hate concept as I recall. I was new to it. Same show you could love him and hate him.

I remember Dave Baum filling in for Tom Shaer in the early 90s. He was not good.

Bernstein often referenced Baum's suggestion that a host's goal should be to have 50% of the audience love you and 50% of the audience hate you. It was successful strategy for Bernstein for many years.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:01 pm 

It kinda sucks that you can't find a lot of the stuff online.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Baum was fine in a Sunday morning for a couple hours. Better than going to church.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
After a few years they apparently had enough money to throw at big name "experts" who would have regular hits on the shows. Unfortunately, some of these guys saw this as an easy check and provided very little in the way of real analysis. Remember Chuck Daily would reply, "awfully good" to most questions and that Buddy Ryan obviously did not watch the games they would ask him to analyze. This of course prompted Terry to reply being using "awfully good" all the time, it was back when there was all kind of inside jokes that only regular listeners understood, kind of felt like your were a member of some type of dysfunctional club each time an inside joke was used.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:03 pm 

RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
RFDC wrote:
tommy wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

Well that is a much better use of your time.

Just messing with ya. It was a good time. I hope we use that forum more in the future.

Agree with that.....

I kept checking back and reading the discussion about some old stories--it was hilarious. It was also good to hear people mention Stone Roses, too.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Hatchetman wrote:
Baum was fine in a Sunday morning for a couple hours. Better than going to church.

Where's OKC

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:07 pm 

Nas wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Where's OKC

Didn't he have a B&B YouTube channel?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Where's OKC

I think so. He had a lot of good material.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:01 pm 
Site Admin

Tad Queasy wrote:
beni hanna wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
beni hanna wrote:

Baum lived by his 50% love/hate concept as I recall. I was new to it. Same show you could love him and hate him.

I remember Dave Baum filling in for Tom Shaer in the early 90s. He was not good.

Bernstein often referenced Baum's suggestion that a host's goal should be to have 50% of the audience love you and 50% of the audience hate you. It was successful strategy for Bernstein for many years.

Take it back.

Now.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:04 pm 

Yep. He does. Bears weather and shark be tiger. December 2004. https://youtu.be/FvF40W37tSQ

Apologies if the link fails. Theoriginalkidcairo on YouTube.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Nas wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Nas wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Where's OKC

I think so. He had a lot of good material.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheOriginalKidCairo/videos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:09 pm 

There's your bear weather right there, a giant suck rest. Fffgphphphssshf

:lol:

And Steve sounds like The first iteration of Rusty from Stickney.

Last edited by beni hanna on Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

My favorite Memolo moment' Chicago weather... "It's January, It's cold deal with it!!!"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:16 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
After a few years they apparently had enough money to throw at big name "experts" who would have regular hits on the shows. Unfortunately, some of these guys saw this as an easy check and provided very little in the way of real analysis. Remember Chuck Daily would reply, "awfully good" to most questions and that Buddy Ryan obviously did not watch the games they would ask him to analyze. This of course prompted Terry to reply being using "awfully good" all the time, it was back when there was all kind of inside jokes that only regular listeners understood, kind of felt like your were a member of some type of dysfunctional club each time an inside joke was used.

That is a good memory. I had forgotten about that. Having experts who did not watch the games is definitely more entertaining that Bernstein discussing spin rates with Joe Sheehan.

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
The Bull & the Bear.....not that it was a good show, but man....I miss the voices of both Buffone and Norm.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 am 

What was the song that they played before the North and Buffone show?

The Missing Link wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 am 

BigW72 wrote:
The Bull & the Bear.....not that it was a good show, but man....I miss the voices of both Buffone and Norm.

Norm singing Stones' songs...I miss that guy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next