It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Both of them....just giants. Met Buffone once and he was just as cool as you'd expect. I can't imagine Norm would have been any different.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Both of them....just giants. Met Buffone once and he was just as cool as you'd expect. I can't imagine Norm would have been any different.

It would have been great to meet Norm. Even though the Bulls were hot garbage during the early 2000's, it was appointment TV to watch Norm bitch about how much the team sucked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:58 am 

BigW72 wrote:

I've told the story before here but I'll tell it again: when my kids were just babies we had the ritual of first mass of the morning on sundays because they got up early and then we beat the crowd to a good breakfast spot. We went to Wishbone in the west loop one sunny morning and the Buffones were on the same schedule with Doug's second family. We were the only two tables in the entire outside area who just happened to have kids of similar ages. The kids were interacting a little so we had some light conversation. I didn't let on that I knew it was him. Just interacted on a friendly non bears level.

I also didn't bring up that I was in school with his daughter from his first family and was in social circles with his son. Both seemed like great kids but I think Doug was in a different place back then. The daughter was hot, but older so we really didn't interact although we had some electives together. At least she didn't stuff me in a locker. I was a big bear fan even back then but Buffone was before my time so it would be like if my kids went to school with Joe Cain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:15 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I've told this story before as well...

I was at UIC Hospital for one of my week long chemo stays and Ron Rivera and Glenn Kozlowski poked their head in my room. I told Ron that I listened to him on the score. They called the studio, I talked to Jesse for a bit, and then they put me on the air with North and Jiggs for a few minutes. I believe they actually interrupted and interview they were doing with Gary Fencik. After the call, Jesse invited me down to the old Belmont bunker. About a week later I get to the studio but there was a mix-up and North and Jiggs were being subbed by Buffone and Rivera, so I was able to speak with them during a break. I think someone in the industry had retired and North and Jigs were at the lunch-party banquet or whatever it was.

A week after that I went back to the studio. They had a goodie bag for me with Score swag, 820 Coffee mug, some stickers, and a game used Super XX football. I think the ball came from Fencik, but never got confirmation on that. Could have been Rivera too. I was on air for about 45 minutes near the end of show with North and Jigs. I still have a cassette tape of it. Met Jessie and Tommy Williams. Met Terry and Dan after transition.

It was a really good day.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:16 am 

Seacrest wrote:
My favorite Memolo moment' Chicago weather... "It's January, It's cold deal with it!!!"

and now here's the weather...cold until April.

Memolo was a guy who grew on me

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:18 am 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
After a few years they apparently had enough money to throw at big name "experts" who would have regular hits on the shows. Unfortunately, some of these guys saw this as an easy check and provided very little in the way of real analysis. Remember Chuck Daily would reply, "awfully good" to most questions and that Buddy Ryan obviously did not watch the games they would ask him to analyze. This of course prompted Terry to reply being using "awfully good" all the time, it was back when there was all kind of inside jokes that only regular listeners understood, kind of felt like your were a member of some type of dysfunctional club each time an inside joke was used.

That is a good memory. I had forgotten about that. Having experts who did not watch the games is definitely more entertaining that Bernstein discussing spin rates with Joe Sheehan.

Jimmy Piersall not only knew a lot about the mechanics of playing baseball and had an ability to transfer the knowledge but he was also entertaining. I'm crazy and I've got the papers to prove it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:28 am 

The one backup guy I really miss is Shakey Suntriss. The guy made hilarious parody songs and was great at voice imitations. His Mike Tyson was great. I can still hear in my head him saying Lennox Lewis with a lisp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:31 am 

doug - evergreen park wrote:

I was at UIC Hospital for one of my week long chemo stays and Ron Rivera and Glenn Kozlowski poked their head in my room. I told Ron that I listened to him on the score. They called the studio, I talked to Jesse for a bit, and then they put me on the air with North and Jiggs for a few minutes. I believe they actually interrupted and interview they were doing with Gary Fencik. After the call, Jesse invited me down to the old Belmont bunker. About a week later I get to the studio but there was a mix-up and North and Jiggs were being subbed by Buffone and Rivera, so I was able to speak with them during a break. I think someone in the industry had retired and North and Jigs were at the lunch-party banquet or whatever it was.

A week after that I went back to the studio. They had a goodie bag for me with Score swag, 820 Coffee mug, some stickers, and a game used Super XX football. I think the ball came from Fencik, but never got confirmation on that. Could have been Rivera too. I was on air for about 45 minutes near the end of show with North and Jigs. I still have a cassette tape of it. Met Jessie and Tommy Williams. Met Terry and Dan after transition.

That is pretty cool.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:33 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
The one backup guy I really miss is Shakey Suntriss. The guy made hilarious parody songs and was great at voice imitations. His Mike Tyson was great. I can still hear in my head him saying Lennox Lewis with a lisp

Traffic at night on week ends is where he had been working most recently.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
good dolphin wrote:

He ended up doing a comic book podcast like 10 years ago I listened to every once in a while.

He was still funny.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:37 am 
Site Admin

Bernstein told the story yesterday about his first day ever at The Score.

Murph shots included.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's

That's pretty fucking awesome.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:52 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place

Kind of a bummer you didn't get to meet Murph.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:59 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yeah, I've heard him recently. Wouldn't recognize him without hearing his name. Pretty straight "radio guy voice" now.

I thought his impressions were hilarious. Apparantly it became too childish for the more serious scoreheads and on air people(Bernstein).

He had great boxing thoughts too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:27 am 

GoldenJet wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Yeah, I've heard him recently. Wouldn't recognize him without hearing his name. Pretty straight "radio guy voice" now.

I thought his impressions were hilarious. Apparantly it became too childish for the more serious scoreheads and on air people(Bernstein).

He had great boxing thoughts too.

He amused me so much back then that I still always recognize his voice. He could really help the Score now, he was hilarious.

I always thought that it was North stabbing him in the back that led to him leaving.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
My favorite Memolo moment' Chicago weather... "It's January, It's cold deal with it!!!"

and now here's the weather...cold until April.

Memolo was a guy who grew on me

I thought Memolo was a douche on the Score. But he takes shifts on MLB Network Radio and he's one of my favorite hosts there. It helps that he usually has a partner (mostly Jeff Joyce or Steve Sax) and Sax especially doesn't put up with any bullshit.

My favorite Piersall memory was on one of Joe O's first Sunday night summertime shifts, Jimmy calls up out of the blue through the regular listener line - just Jimmy from Wheaton or Glen Ellyn. I'll never forget where I was, on 355 NB at Army Trail. He had thoughts about some outfielder, and just riffed with Joe for about 15 minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
John Siuntres was entertaining. Too bad he had a falling out with North and left the station.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I liked Memelo with Shaer after that other guy died.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:43 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
B&B playing amusement park music while describing a bewildered Dick Jauron on the sidelines is a memory I have of laughing out loud at their antics. That was a moment I realized how much I loved their show. I was a commuter for college starting in '92 so I listened heavily all those years during my commute but I also listened to AM1000 a lot and many of the shows kinda blend together in my memory.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:
I liked Memelo with Shaer after that other guy died.

RIP Tom Webb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Tad Queasy wrote:
John Siuntres was entertaining. Too bad he had a falling out with North and left the station.

SHAKEYYYY

The ultimate pro.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Seacrest wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

SHAKEYYYY

The ultimate pro.

Sounds like you have some stories.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:22 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Seacrest is afraid to share good stories online. I never thought I would see Seacrest be afraid. It's really unfortunate

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:27 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Damn. The Score used to be good. I turned in B&B today and they were talking about board games. Click.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:30 pm 
100000 CLUB

SpiralStairs wrote:
Damn. The Score used to be good. I turned in B&B today and they were talking about board games. Click.

Mac and Parkins do a good job having a entertaining show without games being played.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nas wrote:
Seacrest is afraid to share good stories online. I never thought I would see Seacrest be afraid. It's really unfortunate

Well what good stories have you heard from the source?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

Nas wrote:

Seacrest isn't a bad storyteller, but I don't recall him telling any great stories about the early Score days. I probably would have tuned them out unless it was about a personality I know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
good dolphin wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
After a few years they apparently had enough money to throw at big name "experts" who would have regular hits on the shows. Unfortunately, some of these guys saw this as an easy check and provided very little in the way of real analysis. Remember Chuck Daily would reply, "awfully good" to most questions and that Buddy Ryan obviously did not watch the games they would ask him to analyze. This of course prompted Terry to reply being using "awfully good" all the time, it was back when there was all kind of inside jokes that only regular listeners understood, kind of felt like your were a member of some type of dysfunctional club each time an inside joke was used.

That is a good memory. I had forgotten about that. Having experts who did not watch the games is definitely more entertaining that Bernstein discussing spin rates with Joe Sheehan.

Jimmy Piersall not only knew a lot about the mechanics of playing baseball and had an ability to transfer the knowledge but he was also entertaining. I'm crazy and I've got the papers to prove it.

Remember Jimmy would always say, "Thanks for your call", when he wanted to move on to the next caller, didn't matter is the caller was in the middle of a question, Jimmy just would cut them off. The station used to be very caller oriented, the regular callers were sometimes more entertaining than the hosts. Cannot imagine a current host like Parkins allowing a caller to tell him he was a "windsock" like the guy that used to call the Monsters and rip on North back in the day. Don't know why but that used to crack me up because the dude said it with a heavy middle eastern accent.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:23 pm 
Site Admin

Nas wrote:

Big Crest called me and told me that Bernstein told a great story about me recently.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Seacrest wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

SHAKEYYYY

The ultimate pro.

Sounds like you have some stories.

A creative guy who was a phenomenal producer and a boxing savant.

I honestly don’t remember the North story with him but there was a falling out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next