pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
So far the list includes:

David Schuster
Julie DiCaro
Connor McKnight
Rick Camp

Anyone else?

As if that wasn't bad enough:

"Field also announced salary reductions of between 10% and 20% for those earning more than $50,000 annually, elimination of 401(k) matches, first quarter and second quarter bonuses and a suspension of its dividend."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:43 pm 

This iteration largely won't be missed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
AM radio has been on life support for a little bit.

The corporatization of sports radio is why MANY don't listen any more, especially here.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
Terry's Peeps wrote:
AM radio has been on life support for a little bit.

The corporatization of sports radio is why MANY don't listen any more, especially here.

This.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:53 pm 

I think I've mentioned it before, but I think the internet - specifically message boards and team specific sites - have really hurt sports radio.

In 2000 if you wanted to do any of the following:

1. ask about/traffic in a rumor;
2. propose a hypothetical trade;
3. rant about how crappy team or player is;
4. talk about how you think backup X should be playing;
5. learn about a prospect; and
6. many other things

your outlets were (a) sports radio, or (b) no outlet. Now if you want to do any of those things, you can pop onto the internet and go to a team specific website that will traffic in any and all inside info or dirt. You want to do any of those things which generally required feedback from the host or other callers (i.e. rant about QB X) well now you can go onto a site like this and post your opinion and get immediate feedback.

Why would you wait on hold for 15 minutes to say that Mitch sucks, when you can pop open your laptop and within 30 seconds have a bunch of views or even a response? I mean if you listened to sports radio in 2001, it's nothing like it is today. Back then it was caller driven, sure the talent was important, but they had countless hours of free content from callers. That's where the "notable" or "name" callers came from. Guys calling in every day, it became part of the show.

That isn't the case now, and it's hard to entertain people for a bunch of hours in the day with a half dozen hosts that are driving, engaging in, and dominating the conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:54 pm 

One Post wrote:
I think I've mentioned it before, but I think the internet - specifically message boards and team specific sites - have really hurt sports radio.

6. many other things

your outlets were (a) sports radio, or (b) no outlet. Now if you want to do any of those things, you can pop onto the internet and go to a team specific website that will traffic in any and all inside info or dirt. You want to do any of those things which generally required feedback from the host or other callers (i.e. rant about QB X) well now you can go onto a site like this and post your opinion and get immediate feedback.

Why would you wait on hold for 15 minutes to say that Mitch sucks, when you can pop open your laptop and within 30 seconds have a bunch of views or even a response? I mean if you listened to sports radio in 2001, it's nothing like it is today. Back then it was caller driven, sure the talent was important, but they had countless hours of free content from callers. That's where the "notable" or "name" callers came from. Guys calling in every day, it became part of the show.

That isn't the case now, and it's hard to entertain people for a bunch of hours in the day with a half dozen hosts that are driving, engaging in, and dominating the conversation.

you do realize the internet was available in 2000 :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
People would listen if it were entertaining.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Eh, they are going to cut mostly fat and a little muscle. They need better interviewers and nicer people, and shows better geared for a podcast version and YouTube cuts on social media.

And find the media savvy players. Or example, I'm listening to Trevor Bauer being interviewed on an ESPN podcast right now. He has an hour long weekly show on MLB Radio, and his own media company, Bears All Access? Fuck that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:59 pm 

RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:

6. many other things

Dude, in the year 2000 it took about 25 minutes to download one webpage of 18 lines of text on a dial up connection.

You do realize the internet was different in it's 5th year of existence compared to it's 25 years?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:05 pm 
1000 CLUB

Actually, in these times, more people are listening to the radio cuz we're all stuck at home. So ratings should be higher.

Problem is on the advertising side. Nobody is buying anything except groceries. So most of the advertisers are gonna pull their spots cuz it doesn't matter to them now.

And it's not like Costco, Sam's, Jewel or any other grocery store needs to advertise on the radio. They never have. Cuz everybody knows about them when they need food.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:10 pm 

One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:

6. many other things

Dude, in the year 2000 it took about 25 minutes to download one webpage of 18 lines of text on a dial up connection.

You do realize the internet was different in it's 5th year of existence compared to it's 25 years?

I understand the internet in 2000. I was around then. There were even message boards in 2000, and many other places for sports fans to interact. I do get your point, but it was not the dark ages or anything.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:11 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
They need better interviewers and nicer people, and shows better geared for a podcast version and YouTube cuts on social media.

OK.

I'll do it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Beardown wrote:
Actually, in these times, more people are listening to the radio cuz we're all stuck at home. So ratings should be higher.

I only listen to radio in the car. And since I'm not commuting to work anymore, I would guesstimate I hear about 10 minutes of radio a week these days.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
They need better interviewers and nicer people, and shows better geared for a podcast version and YouTube cuts on social media.

OK.

I'll do it.

You are a gentleman and a scholar. You get to interview Lovie Smith.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:42 pm 

RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:

6. many other things

I understand the internet in 2000. I was around then. There were even message boards in 2000, and many other places for sports fans to interact. I do get your point, but it was not the dark ages or anything.

Also, the demo shifted in like with the above. I agree there were outlets on the internet similar to today. THat said, 20 years ago, the radio listener was probably between 38-58, not a demo that would be on the cutting edge of technology. You and I were both younger then, and not in that demo, so we grew up with the internet/message boards and didn't have to rely on radio.

So now that 38-58 demo is either dead or not interested in radio, and the demo you and i are in gets our sports fix on the internet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 10:52 pm 

Eh, they are going to cut mostly fat and a little muscle. They need better interviewers and nicer people, and shows better geared for a podcast version and YouTube cuts on social media.

Sorry Grandpa, radio is dead. Its had coronavirus for at least 15 years now.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Douchebag wrote:

Sorry Grandpa, radio is dead. Its had coronavirus for at least 15 years now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:33 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Out early this morning for work.

The prize for winning the WBBM quiz question this morning was exactly...NOTHING.

Except a hearty congratulations from Pat Cassidy himself.

Tough times indeed for radio.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:
RFDC wrote:
One Post wrote:

6. many other things

Yep, White Sox Interactive was around then and wasn't yet a complete cesspool of miserable mods.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:18 am 

I'd have to check but I think I joined WSI around 2000

I've been here since 2003 or 04 (joined dates were reissued after some board change) and this place existed before me in a few iterations. My guess is this place is pushing 20 years.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
good dolphin wrote:

I've been here since 2003 or 04 (joined dates were reissued after some board change) and this place existed before me in a few iterations. My guess is this place is pushing 20 years.

I remember your handle on WSI. (at least I think I do).
It's funny how there's at least 5 of us there were at WSI before this site and got fed up with the same BS over there. Those ass clowns might be more self-absorbed and miserable as Fels....and that's a lot.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:00 am 

You know it's bad when you're listening to the streaming of the broadcast and it's just dead sound during what should be a paid spot.

They can't sell anything right now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:02 am 

I'm really shocked they didn't just shut the whole station down right now. Why is a sports talk station even functioning right now? Send everyone home and just simulcast WBBM.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:04 am 

The difference between today and 5-10 years ago isn't that there are places to post about your team. Those places have existed for 20+ years.

The difference is there are now places to *listen* about your team. Each team has probably a dozen or more dedicated podcasts dedicated to them. You listened to 670 because you wanted to hear about your local team, otherwise you would just watch or listen to a national show. Well now there are hyper-focused audio products centered around your team. You don't need 670 anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:06 am 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
BigW72 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I remember your handle on WSI. (at least I think I do).
It's funny how there's at least 5 of us there were at WSI before this site and got fed up with the same BS over there. Those ass clowns might be more self-absorbed and miserable as Fels....and that's a lot.

Between WSI and Soxtalk the White Sox fan presence online is massive yet ruined by terrible admins.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:14 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
The difference between today and 5-10 years ago isn't that there are places to post about your team. Those places have existed for 20+ years.

The difference is there are now places to *listen* about your team. Each team has probably a dozen or more dedicated podcasts dedicated to them. You listened to 670 because you wanted to hear about your local team, otherwise you would just watch or listen to a national show. Well now there are hyper-focused audio products centered around your team. You don't need 670 anymore.

That is true and good way of putting it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I still think there's a demand for talk radio. Whether it's driving or working outside / around the house and having it on in the background. The interactive / call-in portion was still stuff you don't get from Podcasts. They destroyed that and became local team mouthpieces. That does matter.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:20 am 

BigW72 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I still think there's a demand for talk radio. Whether it's driving or working outside / around the house and having it on in the background. The interactive / call-in portion was still stuff you don't get from Podcasts. They destroyed that and became local team mouthpieces. That does matter.

yeah I think it will survive I some form as it provides a dynamic that others do not, but Ogie and others are right it is not needed as it was back in the day.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:53 am 

BigW72 wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

The call in portion was a draw with B&B as they'd shit on callers and it was entertaining. However, what Score shows have compelling calls today? I'd say none of them do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 11:32 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Oogie right on the money.

Everything is heading to on demand listening.

Sports radio is good for breaking news and instant reaction.