It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Roe Conn
PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
FrankDrebin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
You guys remember Nate Clay? Holy crap, that was a fun bad radio show to listen to. He was a liberal black guy who had no skills as a broadcaster.

Edit: I forgot that he would always sing on the show. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWP5kD_mb-k

Nate Clay was great. I loved his show . wasn't it like Saturday nights? He really should get some credit in helping people understand black issues way before social media and the internet existed.

is he still alive or he passed away? He always had an old man's voice.

I used to listen to Nate Clay after Murph's show (WLS); eventually, he got too far whacko left for me and stopped listening.

Eaglo wrote:

Froooooom North Carolina......

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:56 am 

I've said before that possibly my favorite sports radio show of all time was a low production value Sunday night show named Bears Packers Showdown. I couldn't even tell you what station it was on. It was just a fun breakdown of the NFL games from the day for about four hours between a guy who sounded like Brian Paruch and another who sounded like one of the Superfans. It was good comedy and pretty decent football discussion.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:12 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
I've said before that possibly my favorite sports radio show of all time was a low production value Sunday night show named Bears Packers Showdown. I couldn't even tell you what station it was on. It was just a fun breakdown of the NFL games from the day for about four hours between a guy who sounded like Brian Paruch and another who sounded like one of the Superfans. It was good comedy and pretty decent football discussion.

This was a local show?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
what happened to don and roma? weren't they like the #1 morning show when they were on? Always surprised me because I tuned in a few times and the show as complete shit. Don seemed always so unhappy.

Don died. Makes the show tougher to do.

The years when they faked like they weren’t married always ruined their show in terms of credibility for me. One liberal and one conservative is obviously possible but the lie made it seem like it was all an act. I remember rolling my eyes when Don would talk about taking the El in to work and asking Roma what she did over the weekend. Just stupid.

I get it, but I also respect their reason for doing it. They waited until their kid was grown and out of college before putting all of that out there.
I remember that was their excuse. It didn't make sense IMO and always felt like an excuse to cover for the lies. The fact of the matter is their pre-talk era listeners already knew and the occasional media blurb mentioning Roma Wade in later years made it apparent that their secret was becoming more well known. They had no choice and used the kid for cover.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:12 am 

Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

This was a local show?

It was one of those stations on the border that broadcast to Chicago and Milwaukee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:48 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I think that was brokered programming on the old WCBR out of Arlington Heights. It's possible they moved it to a Waukegan/Kenosha station later on, though.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
I slipped up the dial yesterday to avoid the Cubs post-game and caught John "Records" Landecker on the WGN holiday afternoon shift. Did I get it correctly that he's back on GN now full-time? Taking over for Roe, then?

An aside- he spoke with his daughter by phone, which prompted me to seek her imdb page. There was a link to his page, where I learned that "Records" was not a nickname of a deejay, but actually a family surname- his wife's family, it sounds like.

How old must Landecker be? He was on WLS when I was a kid, mid seventies, so born 1950 or before? He also is a Grand Valley alumnus, as my daughter, hopefully, will soon be, as well. Small world.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
K Effective wrote:
I slipped up the dial yesterday to avoid the Cubs post-game and caught John "Records" Landecker on the WGN holiday afternoon shift. Did I get it correctly that he's back on GN now full-time? Taking over for Roe, then?

An aside- he spoke with his daughter by phone, which prompted me to seek her imdb page. There was a link to his page, where I learned that "Records" was not a nickname of a deejay, but actually a family surname- his wife's family, it sounds like.

How old must Landecker be? He was on WLS when I was a kid, mid seventies, so born 1950 or before? He also is a Grand Valley alumnus, as my daughter, hopefully, will soon be, as well. Small world.

He is coming on at 7pm now. He's got to be close to 70 if not older. I think that Garry Meier is 71 or 72 now, and Sirott is a little younger but still on Medicare.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:38 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
K Effective wrote:

holy shit. he's still alive?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
so in the last say 10/15 years, who's been the hot duo in chicago radio? does one even exists? let's say after the Roe Conn/ Garry Meier show?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
K Effective wrote:

I mistakenly thought Landecker was about 10 years older than he actually is and Garry Meier was about 10 years younger than he actually is.

I do vaguely remember Landecker's "Boogie Check" on WLS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuXQPbc ... yHamburger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:51 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

This was a local show?

It was one of those stations on the border that broadcast to Chicago and Milwaukee

Probably din't reach the western burbs where I was.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Anyone know what Nick Digilio is up to post firing? I loved his show late 90's/early 2000's but he grew stale towards the end. I do miss his movie reviews though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
blackhawksfan wrote:
Anyone know what Nick Digilio is up to post firing? I loved his show late 90's/early 2000's but he grew stale towards the end. I do miss his movie reviews though.

He posts a lot on Facebook. Usually rants about whatever he's watching on television - old TV classics, some modern stuff, SNL, and WWE.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:24 pm 

Martin wrote:
He posts a lot on Facebook. Usually rants about whatever he's watching on television - old TV classics, some modern stuff, SNL, and WWE.

hasn't missed a beat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:35 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Curious Hair wrote:
Martin wrote:

hasn't missed a beat

What is Digilio doing for a living now?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:37 pm 

Last I heard, he was emceeing drive-in movies out around Byron. I think he's been in and out of one medical facility or another. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Curious Hair wrote:
Last I heard, he was emceeing drive-in movies out around Byron. I think he's been in and out of one medical facility or another. :(

Yeah, what was up with that? He had some mystery illness involving alcoholism and the full story never leaked out. All he said was it was very disgusting with no other details. Anyways, I bet he's living off some buyout WGN gave him. He always seemed like the type of guy who spent every dime he got and just assumed he would work at WGN forever. I deleted Facebook recently but he was constantly posting tv shows or movies he was watching. He seems very similar to Les Grobstein in that manner.