It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Roe Conn
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:01 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
blackhawksfan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
After Mike Mulligan and Mike Murphy, Roe Conn is one of the worst talk radio show hosts I have ever heard. When he gets a little excited he sounds like Jay Leno with his nuts in a vice.

Nick Digilio always seemed like an asswipe. His tone often reminded me of Jay Marvin, who was a tremendous asswipe.

Jay Marvin had a short stint in chicago but i liked his show. is he still alive?

did you work w/ any of these guys?

Jay Marvin. Wow, that brings back some memories. I remember he had a segment at the end of his show where he would let callers call in and do whatever they wanted to do. Make fart noises, impressions etc and he would just laugh LOL

Do you remember Jay's liberal predecessor Bob Lassiter? That guy was nuts.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:21 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Garry's wife is the Yoko Ono of Chicago radio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
After Mike Mulligan and Mike Murphy, Roe Conn is one of the worst talk radio show hosts I have ever heard. When he gets a little excited he sounds like Jay Leno with his nuts in a vice.

Nick Digilio always seemed like an asswipe. His tone often reminded me of Jay Marvin, who was a tremendous asswipe.

Jay Marvin had a short stint in chicago but i liked his show. is he still alive?

Jay Marvin. Wow, that brings back some memories. I remember he had a segment at the end of his show where he would let callers call in and do whatever they wanted to do. Make fart noises, impressions etc and he would just laugh LOL

Lassiter was some good radio.

Jay Marvin was a good dude and a fun guy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:

ya never liked him. too mean spirited.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:11 pm 

what happened to don and roma? weren't they like the #1 morning show when they were on? Always surprised me because I tuned in a few times and the show as complete shit. Don seemed always so unhappy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
HawaiiYou wrote:
what happened to don and roma? weren't they like the #1 morning show when they were on? Always surprised me because I tuned in a few times and the show as complete shit. Don seemed always so unhappy.

Don died. Makes the show tougher to do.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

The years when they faked like they weren’t married always ruined their show in terms of credibility for me. One liberal and one conservative is obviously possible but the lie made it seem like it was all an act. I remember rolling my eyes when Don would talk about taking the El in to work and asking Roma what she did over the weekend. Just stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:22 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Jay Marvin was fucking awesome in his first stint at WLS, then he went to Denver and went through a bunch of shit on and off the air, and came back to Chicago more mellow and eventually downright boring.

Roe & Garry were the best show in Chicago in the early 2000s after B&B. It wasn't the same with Roeper, who's a good enough writer but was always death on the radio.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:28 pm 

Never got the appeal of Roeper.

When he repacked Siskel I was like this guy doesn’t have a national presence like siskel did.

What’s he up to now?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:03 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Jay Marvin was fucking awesome in his first stint at WLS, then he went to Denver and went through a bunch of shit on and off the air, and came back to Chicago more mellow and eventually downright boring.

Roe & Garry were the best show in Chicago in the early 2000s after B&B. It wasn't the same with Roeper, who's a good enough writer but was always death on the radio.

didnt know he came back for a second gig in chicago. just remember him for the first which was a really great show. it sucked he decided to leave for denver.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Tafdes
badrogue17 wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Roe and Garry was a great show. Huge mistake by Garry.

Correction . Huge mistake by Garry’s wife .

THIS IS CORRECT!

Roe's wife is the Yoko Ono of Chicago radio.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:37 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

didnt know he came back for a second gig in chicago. just remember him for the first which was a really great show. it sucked he decided to leave for denver.

Yeah, actually his second stint at WLS was longer than his first one. At first he tried to come back with the Shootout and Grant Park as sidekick, but the times had already changed. Eventually WLS moved him to middays and paired him with awful, shrill harpy Eileen Byrne. Even though he'd mellowed out a lot he was still too liberal for WLS management and they canned him at I think the end of 2005.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
You guys remember Nate Clay? Holy crap, that was a fun bad radio show to listen to. He was a liberal black guy who had no skills as a broadcaster.

Edit: I forgot that he would always sing on the show. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWP5kD_mb-k

Last edited by blackhawksfan on Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:44 pm 

Big Gunt wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Roe and Garry was a great show. Huge mistake by Garry.

Correction . Huge mistake by Garry’s wife .

THIS IS CORRECT!

Roe's wife is the Yoko Ono of Chicago radio.

It is amazing he has been on two highly successful shows over the last 40 plus years and both went to shit because of his wife.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:44 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

Yeah, actually his second stint at WLS was longer than his first one. At first he tried to come back with the Shootout and Grant Park as sidekick, but the times had already changed. Eventually WLS moved him to middays and paired him with awful, shrill harpy Eileen Byrne. Even though he'd mellowed out a lot he was still too liberal for WLS management and they canned him at I think the end of 2005.

thanks for the update on what happened to him. ya after 9/11, liberal radio was pretty much dead for some time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:46 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:
You guys remember Nate Clay? Holy crap, that was a fun bad radio show to listen to. He was a liberal black guy who had no skills as a broadcaster.

Nate Clay was great. I loved his show . wasn't it like Saturday nights? He really should get some credit in helping people understand black issues way before social media and the internet existed.

is he still alive or he passed away? He always had an old man's voice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:53 pm 

Nate Clay, LOL. If you think Les gets drunk/prank/weird callers you should have heard Nate Clay's show back in the day.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:55 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
Nate Clay, LOL. If you think Les gets drunk/prank/weird callers you should have heard Nate Clay's show back in the day.

Exile - tell us more. were u in or are in the industry? you seem like a vitoscotti type who has worked in the chicago radio biz.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:59 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Exile on Route 41 wrote:

Exile - tell us more. were u in or are in the industry? you seem like a vitoscotti type who has worked in the chicago radio biz.

No, I just listened to the radio too fucking much growing up.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Briefly considered Roe Wade and Roe Quan as parody threads.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:43 pm 

blackhawksfan wrote:

Back then Roe seemed like the only non maladjusted host on the station. They always seemed like a strange bunch. And Don and Roma seemed especially unhappy.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
HawaiiYou wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Nate Clay was great. I loved his show . wasn't it like Saturday nights? He really should get some credit in helping people understand black issues way before social media and the internet existed.

I used to listen to Nate Clay after Murph's show (WLS); eventually, he got too far whacko left for me and stopped listening.

Used to enjoy listening to Jake Hartford on weekend mornings driving into my job.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:19 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

I used to listen to Nate Clay after Murph's show (WLS); eventually, he got too far whacko left for me and stopped listening.

Used to enjoy listening to Jake Hartford on weekend mornings driving into my job.

fans talking to fans....FAN TALK WLS 890

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:25 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Back then Roe seemed like the only non maladjusted host on the station. They always seemed like a strange bunch. And Don and Roma seemed especially unhappy.

I remember on election nights WLS would have all their hosts on together as the results came in, that made for fun listening.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:07 pm 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

The years when they faked like they weren’t married always ruined their show in terms of credibility for me. One liberal and one conservative is obviously possible but the lie made it seem like it was all an act. I remember rolling my eyes when Don would talk about taking the El in to work and asking Roma what she did over the weekend. Just stupid.

I get it, but I also respect their reason for doing it. They waited until their kid was grown and out of college before putting all of that out there.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:07 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Never got the appeal of Roeper.

When he repacked Siskel I was like this guy doesn’t have a national presence like siskel did.

What’s he up to now?

Buying followers on Twitter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:10 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

I remember Jake Hartford too. He just got his big M-F gig and dropped dead like a week or a month into it

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:18 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

I remember Jake Hartford too. He just got his big M-F gig and dropped dead like a week or a month into it

heard about that. i liked him too - i think he use to fill in for someone sunday nights.

Anyone remember THE COACH AND THE KID? it was like mid 90s. had a young guy who was a wannabe mike north jr and a straight radio guy. they didnt last long. i think the guy who was 'the coach' was still around doing some gigs.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:12 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Roe gets whacked from his WGN gig at 7pm the Friday of a three day weekend. Not unexpected in that his contract was up at the end of the year. He's been replaced by an inoffensive news guy, probably until they see how November goes.

You think that Nexstar should taking the big swing and bring in Senor Columnist to educate the masses from 4-7 weekdays? He wouldn't even have to talk much sports since WGN wants to get rid of both the Blackhawks and White Sox.

you need a link here. You dont just post obscure shit without the proof.

https://www.robertfeder.com/2020/09/04/ ... 6aChv8xeT0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:23 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Pat Boyle’s wife is a real hatchet woman. Julie should be happy no women were whacked.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.