It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Summer Book Ratings
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:51 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Ron Wolfley wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
The Score needs to rebuild badly. Dump Bernstein, Parkins, Holmes, and Haugh and hire a bunch of kids who weren't at the Score when everyone decided to copy Bernstein and become a "very serious sports host". At this point I'm sure you can find some characters on YouTube that have a better personality than the current crop of dorks. The wackier, the better. Get some bros that want to interact with meatball fans on the phone. Enough with the monologues. Interact with fans. Feel the flow.

Mully, Bernstein, Haugh, and Holmes can go. Keep Parkins around and pair him with Spiegel. I want a Chicago sports radio show with 2 hosts of similar age that have great chemistry. There hasn't been a show like that since Silvy and Carmen.

Hopefully 670 welcomes Barstool Big Cat with open arms and a checkbook in a couple years. Does PFT want to move to Chicago? How about Ryen Russillo? Jurko want to switch dials? I'd listen to Big Cat, Russillo, and Jurko in the afternoons.

Bring Hood back. Bring in Ryan Brandell from Barstool Chicago.

#make670thescoregreatagain

Russillo is a pipe dream. I’d be down but no way he’d come here. Don’t see the score doling out that kinda cash.

It would be amazing though, if for no other reason because you know the egos of the current staff would take a hit. Which would lead to good awkward content

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Ron Wolfley wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
The Score needs to rebuild badly. Dump Bernstein, Parkins, Holmes, and Haugh and hire a bunch of kids who weren't at the Score when everyone decided to copy Bernstein and become a "very serious sports host". At this point I'm sure you can find some characters on YouTube that have a better personality than the current crop of dorks. The wackier, the better. Get some bros that want to interact with meatball fans on the phone. Enough with the monologues. Interact with fans. Feel the flow.

Mully, Bernstein, Haugh, and Holmes can go. Keep Parkins around and pair him with Spiegel. I want a Chicago sports radio show with 2 hosts of similar age that have great chemistry. There hasn't been a show like that since Silvy and Carmen.

Hopefully 670 welcomes Barstool Big Cat with open arms and a checkbook in a couple years. Does PFT want to move to Chicago? How about Ryen Russillo? Jurko want to switch dials? I'd listen to Big Cat, Russillo, and Jurko in the afternoons.

You really think big cat would leave barstool for AM radio?

Bernstein needs a guy who can loosen him up. Non-serious Bernstein is still the best host I’ve ever heard. I’d love to see them hire a meatball to pair with Bernstein.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Bernstein needs a guy who can loosen him up. Non-serious Bernstein is still the best host I’ve ever heard. I’d love to see them hire a meatball to pair with Bernstein.

Big Cat isn't staying at Barstool forever. A lot of current Barstool people aren't sticking around forever. Big Cat will need a new challenge sometime down the line.

And yes, Bernstein is excellent at what he does when paired with the right co-host.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Big cat is an equity guy at barstool with a cut in the penn national deal.

He comes back to Chicago, he does it with barstool Chicago and the redline radio guys.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:11 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Yeah, Barstool guys aren't coming to local AM radio. Bernstein is gonna ride it out till the FCC shuts the whole band down.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, Barstool guys aren't coming to local AM radio. Bernstein is gonna ride it out till the FCC shuts the whole band down.

Guesses on when that will be CH?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:38 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

hell Dan Katz may come back and buy the SCORE with his PENN stock and still have like 10 million left over.

Katz is national, if he comes to the chicago market, it would be like BARSTOOL going to a national radio broadcast network (with the Sirius deal in negotiations, they are not on Sirius to the best of my knowledge)

Id love to get Dan Katz to wax on his experience in the chicago media coming up, who was a dick to him, who was cool, that would be podcast gold, bring back the board podcast, get 45 mins with the boy king.

later
sabu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:38 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Ron Wolfley wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Some of the most enjoyable radio I've ever heard was the year Bernstein teamed with Buffone on the Bears pregame show. They clearly liked and respected one another and had terrific chemistry. Buffone helped make Bernstein's intellectualism consistently fun, and Bernstein's rigorous thinking helped Doug sharpen his arguments. I miss those days and man do I miss Doug Buffone.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:51 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Guesses on when that will be CH?

It'll be one of those things they announce and then push back over and over and over, like how the 87.7 loophole is perpetually going to be closed by next year. I think by 2040 it's gone for good after a long series of stations surrendering their licenses to sell all the real estate the arrays take up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:24 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Bernsie will go the Roe route. Change stations and evolve at every smaller contract until there are no more. Then he will walk to the back of the synagogue and get some PR job for whatever Theo is doing then. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:14 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Ron Wolfley wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

All of the big names at Barstool signed 5 year contracts with the Penn acquisition. That includes them getting paid for their equity and per Dave puts all of the big names well into the 7 figures club. Entercom could never afford Big Cat at this point. They could probably afford some of the Barstool Chicago guys like Ryan, but I'm not sure they want to work in that type of environment. I get the sense they prefer having the freedom they get under the Barstool umbrella. Especially after Dan McNeil's firing, these guys wouldn't want to go to a place where they can be fired for innocent jokes. Barstool Carl would be fired for his rant after the Parkey game for using the word "cockscuker" if he worked for the Entercom burritos. Why would anyone with a sense of humor want to work for Entercom unless they had no choice?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:18 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Id want to see it happen if only to see the backtracking from the " BUT BARSTOOL "crowd that works (ed) there.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:20 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Id want to see it happen if only to see the backtracking from the " BUT BARSTOOL "crowd that works (ed) there.

If you look at the Twitter accounts of most 670 employees (other than cucks like Zawaski) they are all stoolies. They follow and like Barstool content, albeit somewhat under the radar.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:22 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

If you look at the Twitter accounts of most 670 employees (other than cucks like Zawaski) they are all stoolies. They follow and like Barstool content, albeit somewhat under the radar.

Leery ? Bernstein?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:24 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Leery ? Bernstein?

maybe not those two, but all of the producers, guys like Joe O, even Parkins, are Barstool people. I guess Mully and Haugh aren't but I'd say that's more of them being well aged out of the Barstool target audience more than their opinion of the content.

On second thought, even though he probably publicly says he doesn't like them, I do know Zawaski listens to Spittin Chicklets as he borrowed Duncan Keith content from there right before the NHL restart that used for Bernstein's show.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
ya the score needs to think of it like a sports team rebuild.

time to back up the truck and look at young fresh talent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:00 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
ya the score needs to think of it like a sports team rebuild.

time to back up the truck and look at young fresh talent.

This, all Bar Stool people Chicago am radio would be a big step down. Also Chicago in general is a big step down for anyone on the coasts or national. It is not a desirable place to live and not a big media place. Chicago was lucky to have Oprah.

The sports media draws are New York, LA, Miami, and San Fran.

Chicago is a great place to get young talent before they go national in 2020. Right now both stations need young talent either inside the city or outside.

The problem is Chicago is the ultimate prove yourself before going to a Big Market. It was be similar to some hot personality in Omaha, etc. getting shot at Chicago.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:08 pm 

Top-tier coastsucking going on here. You must have been a big Stern fan.

Miami is not a step up from Chicago as a media market. Dan Le Batard just lives there, that's all.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 11:11 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Top-tier coastsucking going on here. You must have been a big Stern fan.

Miami is not a step up from Chicago as a media market. Dan Le Batard just lives there, that's all.

It has more media influences and come on, quality of life, no income taxes, low property taxes.

I love Chicago. But it is not a place people go to visit unless for a convention at McCormick place, business trip. Great business city in the summer.

Chicago is a great sports town for local team, just not a place nationally where people would chose to live, that is all.

One thing this pandemic has shown us is that you can work from home or anywhere. Top talent in media/sports biz is gonna go where the athletes train, spend time marketing, etc. That is L.A., NYC, San Fran for social media, and Miami for training/living.

Name an athlete who lives in Chicago year long?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:15 am 

cookie23 wrote:
I love Chicago. But it is not a place people go to visit unless for a convention at McCormick place, business trip. Great business city in the summer.
This is wrong. NYC is on another level but in terms of the other American cities Chicago is right there with any of them. People may vacation in Florida or California as a whole more than they vacation in Illinois but that's for reasons that have very little to do with the actual major cities you are referring to.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:44 am 

Well I hope Cheryl Scott doesn't just use us as a stepping stone for the estimable metropolis of Philadelphia.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:29 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The Score misses Mac, their heart & soul. The guy is irreplaceable they've learned now. 3.2 down to 2.1. ESPN1000 actually up marginally from today's Rob Feder.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:17 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
The Score misses Mac, their heart & soul. The guy is irreplaceable they've learned now. 3.2 down to 2.1. ESPN1000 actually up marginally from today's Rob Feder.

You mean all the people who were offended by an innocuous joke weren’t Score listeners ? Shocking .

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

You mean all the people who were offended by an innocuous joke weren’t Score listeners ? Shocking .

Only like 10 people on this board listened to Mac and Parkins. If that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
vitoscotti wrote:

Mostly because the Bears suck and there is no NBA early season broadcasts in the evenings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:00 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Mostly because the Bears suck and there is no NBA early season broadcasts in the evenings.

Imagine if the Cubs do launch a retool/rebuild and the next 2 years are sub .500 years or worse.

Gonna be a rough few years for 670.

What is a true DoomsDay scenario for the station? That has a realistic chance of happening if ratings continue to suck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Crick Ramp wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Imagine if the Cubs do launch a retool/rebuild and the next 2 years are sub .500 years or worse.

Gonna be a rough few years for 670.

What is a true DoomsDay scenario for the station? That has a realistic chance of happening if ratings continue to suck

They are probably low-balling the Cubs on renewing the radio rights. WGN doesn't want them, WLS is useless. They may even be able to launch the Bulls rights and pick up the Blackhawks again on another brokerage deal, especially if they can split it with the FM side of 780 when there is a conflict with the Cubs.

Meanwhile, single hosts from 6am-7pm, and a couple of sport-specific guys who are adept enough for vacation relief. Hub, Spiegel, some basketball guy (Shuster would be sufficient if they lose the rights).

No idea what they do on the weekends. Maybe local stuff until noon and then CBS Sports Radio the rest of the way.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:09 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The Score goes from 2.1 to 1.7 overall ratings. With lots of interesting sports happenings going on from early November to early December.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:58 am 

It's almost like 670 shouldn't have gotten rid of their host who cares the most about football just as the season was starting

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:34 am 

I always thought the Score was never more than 1-2 small changes from a return to greatness. I don't feel that way anymore. It is in a worse position right now than it was in the days when Mac made ESPN 1000 into a competitor.