It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Summer Book Ratings
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:41 pm 

According to this article ESPN 1000 edged out the Score. Also sounds like White Sox heading to 1000 for 2021 season.

ESPN 1000 and 670 The Score are often involved in a close race for sports radio bragging rights in Chicago, and the summer book was no exception. The numbers for both brands were stable for the most part, but the return of sports and a few lineup changes have both brands optimistic about the future.

The news was a little bit brighter though for ESPN 1000 in the key demo of Men 25-54, as the station won most dayparts head to head against their local rival including winning all three summer months with M-F 6a-7p. 1000 beat The Score in July 3.3 to 2.8, in August 3.1 to 2.5, and in September 3.0 to 2.6. The Score did record a victory for the full week M-SU 6a-Mid, edging 1000 for the book 2.9 to 2.5.

In mornings, ESPN 1000’s new duo featuring David Kaplan and Jonathan Hood are off to a strong start, topping their local sports radio competition since their August debut. For the full summer book, ESPN 1000 did a 3.5 share from 5 – 10a. Their new lineup, which began during the final month of the book features ESPN Radio’s national morning show Keyshawn, J-Will & Zubin from 5 – 7a, followed by Kaplan and Hood from 7 – 10a.

In comparison, 670 The Score trailed ESPN by almost a full point in the morning hours. From 5 – 7a, The Score earned a 2.7 share, and from 7 – 10a, they did a 2.5 while going up against ESPN 1000’s first local morning show in decades. During those hours, The Score features Mully & Haugh from 5 – 9a, and the first hour of Dan Bernstein’s midday show.

From 10a – noon, ESPN 1000 finished ninth with a 3.5 share. The first two months of the book still featured Kap & Company in the late morning timeslot, but the station’s new lineup saw Carmen & Jurko move to the 10a – noon block as of Aug. 17. The Score, which airs The Dan Bernstein Show during the 10a – noon hours, earned a 2.3 share.

The Score’s highest rated daypart during the summer quarter came in the noon – 2p hours, where Laurence Holmes has proven the ability to perform well with or without sports, earning a 3 share. ESPN 1000, which previously aired Carmen & Jurko in the noon – 2p hours and now features Mike Greenberg’s national show, did a 3.2 share for the summer book, narrowly beating Holmes.

Rounding out the weekday lineup, ESPN 1000’s afternoon duo of Tom Waddle and Marc Silverman finished tied for 13th with a 3.1 share, an increase of more than a full point from their spring performance. Even better than that was the recent news from Silvy, announcing last week that his cancer is in remission. Despite being diagnosed with the disease in April, Silvy continued to co-host ESPN 1000’s afternoon show in both the spring and summer books.

The Score meanwhile finished 16th from 2 – 6p as their afternoon show with Dan McNeil and Danny Parkins earned a 2.6 share, down half a point from the spring book. The Score has since fired longtime afternoon host Dan McNeil for an insensitive tweet, but that lineup change took place after the summer book was complete.

The evening block was The Score’s big win, topping ESPN 1000 by almost three points from 8p – midnight and almost five points in the 7pm hour. In the summer ratings period, The Score did a 6.1 during the 7pm hour and a 4 share from 8p – midnight. ESPN 1000 did a 1.2 in the same block.

Another positive for The Score was their cume, which was higher than their competitor among daytime shows with Men 25-54. They also held head to head advantages with Men 18+.

The Score serves as the Chicago Cubs flagship radio station, signaling the importance of baseball radio rights in the market. The station also airs Chicago Bulls basketball, which could see improvement with Billy Donovan now in place as the team’s new head coach. ESPN 1000 on the other hand is reportedly close to a deal with the Chicago White Sox to begin airing their games starting with the 2021 MLB season. Adding Sox baseball may not help the station win the nighttime matchup, but it should make things closer.

https://barrettsportsmedia.com/2020/10/08/espn-1000-edges-670-the-score-in-the-chicago-summer-ratings-book/

Post subject: Re: Summer Book Ratings
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:02 pm 

Sir is the new FOTS!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Holy hell, Bernstein going full Twitter Wokeness has ruined his career. He now burns any time slot he touches to the ground. Parkins has to be dreading the demo numbers for his first book without McNeil.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
:lol: :lol: :lol: When you get rid of the elephant in the room its amazing what happens.

The evening block was The Score’s big win, topping ESPN 1000 by almost three points from 8p – midnight and almost five points in the 7pm hour. In the summer ratings period, The Score did a 6.1 during the 7pm hour and a 4 share from 8p – midnight. ESPN 1000 did a 1.2 in the same block.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Does ESPN 1000 have to air the Mike Greenberg show in the afternoon? It boggles my mind why they aren't 100 percent local if ESPN doesn't own them anymore. It's very easy to change the station and never go back when it goes to national sports talk.

Anyways, I'm glad David Haugh got his ass kicked by Kap and Hood.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:46 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The network used to require affiliates to run two national shows. Back in the day it was usually Mike & Mike and Dan Patrick. Bristol made an exception for 1000 because they were doing so poorly against the Score. I have a feeling with the new Greenberg show, they really want everyone on board for that.

The Cubs played far more night games than usual this year, so that probably helped the Score's ratings in evenings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Wow, what a turnaround for ESPN. The new guy (Mike Thomas I believe) was in several articles talking about the refresh earlier this year. It appears to have worked.

And yes, the Score’s solid performance at night is the Cubs, which is a pyrrhic victory given the huge cost of the right fees.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:18 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Looks like "stick to sports" is good for the ratings.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:05 pm 

Franky T wrote:
Looks like "stick to sports" is good for the ratings.

Parkins wrote:
We have 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. What we're talking about every minute of every show is not going to be for every person. I had a boss once who said "talk about what people are talking about, your topics should be a reflection of your audience." It was pretty good advice. Right now a lot of people are talking about CoronaVirus, we're real people, sometimes we're going to talk about Coronavirus. I think that type of "real radio" is what differentiates the Score from some radio that just goes to a list or all-time generic sports debate.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Where are the Bernsie ALSers now?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
blackhawksfan wrote:
Does ESPN 1000 have to air the Mike Greenberg show in the afternoon? It boggles my mind why they aren't 100 percent local if ESPN doesn't own them anymore. It's very easy to change the station and never go back when it goes to national sports talk.

Kap and Hood are doing a show that would fit the score lineup back in the early days of the station, especially enjoy Hood's jabs at the notoriously thin skinned Mulligan, the kind of stuff the hosts from different dayparts used to do to each other at the score ,back in the day. Listening to the current WSCR lineup is an almost painful experience, hour after hour of "experts" who all seem to have the exact same take as the hosts. The station has been taking itself way too seriously and would be on life support without the incredibly expensive content and ratings boost it gets from the Cubs, an asset that is declining almost as rapidly as the station itself.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:08 am 

I need to tune in more to ESPN 1000 and give those shows a chance. I have my app all loaded up, so I will give it a listen this week.

I don’t mind Mully and Haugh that much, they are guest heavy. The show is an easy listen. I like Olin a lot. But it seems like ESPN is rejuvenated. I’ll try it out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:53 am 

Like Tom Brady, Bernstein may be past his prime.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:34 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Kap and Hood are doing a show that would fit the score lineup back in the early days of the station, especially enjoy Hood's jabs at the notoriously thin skinned Mulligan, the kind of stuff the hosts from different dayparts used to do to each other at the score ,back in the day. Listening to the current WSCR lineup is an almost painful experience, hour after hour of "experts" who all seem to have the exact same take as the hosts. The station has been taking itself way too seriously and would be on life support without the incredibly expensive content and ratings boost it gets from the Cubs, an asset that is declining almost as rapidly as the station itself.

I do not listen to a ton of radio at this point but in the 10-15 minutes I am in my car in the morning I check ESPN first now.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:13 pm 

Brick wrote:

As a huge fan of B&B back in the day, his shark jumped a while ago. To be fair to him, most people have good runs for so long.

I thought he had the opportunity to go national. He is smart about sports, quick witted, but the schtick with all callers being idiots was overdone and then his politics/real smart radio destroyed him.

Also, I am probably in the minority, but Boers was extremely overrated. Bernstein was far more talented than him. Boers could never carry a show, Dan could.

I have not listened to Dan in a long time. I think a lot of people use to "hate listen" to him, but not anymore.

The score needs to shake things up. It used to be such a fun station and go.

Can they start by replacing Patrick Manley on Bears postgame. They had the GOAT of postgames when Doug was alive with OB.

Pure meatball, but just so much fun. I like Hub and find him to be the most informed, but Manley is just bad radio.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:14 pm 

cookie23 wrote:
Brick wrote:

As a huge fan of B&B back in the day, his shark jumped a while ago. To be fair to him, most people have good runs for so long.

I thought he had the opportunity to go national. He is smart about sports, quick witted, but the schtick with all callers being idiots was overdone and then his politics/real smart radio destroyed him.

Also, I am probably in the minority, but Boers was extremely overrated. Bernstein was far more talented than him. Boers could never carry a show, Dan could.

I have not listened to Dan in a long time. I think a lot of people use to "hate listen" to him, but not anymore.

Can they start by replacing Patrick Manley on Bears postgame. They had the GOAT of postgames when Doug was alive with OB.

Pure meatball, but just so much fun. I like Hub and find him to be the most informed, but Manley is just bad radio.

Exactly. He could have been Brady. He ended up only being Aaron Rodgers.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:40 pm 

The Penn State stuff was the end for me. No one in Chicago cared beyond maybe a few hours of learning what had happened. They dragged that stuff out for months and belittled college sports fans the entire time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Curious Hair wrote:
The network used to require affiliates to run two national shows. Back in the day it was usually Mike & Mike and Dan Patrick. Bristol made an exception for 1000 because they were doing so poorly against the Score. I have a feeling with the new Greenberg show, they really want everyone on board for that.

The Cubs played far more night games than usual this year, so that probably helped the Score's ratings in evenings.

I’ve mentioned it before, but Columbus has two sports stations affiliated with ESPN: the low-watt 1460 AM, which is basically an outlet for all of the ESPN Radio national programs, and 97.1 The Fan, which was mostly locally-originated shows from 9:00 AM to 8:00 PM (electing to not carry the last hour of the G&W show), and also carries the OSU football and basketball stuff, along with the Blue Jackets games; again, all other programming was basically the ESPN Radio stuff.

Funny thing is, when ESPN shitcanned the G&W show, 97.1 FM dropped the new ESPN morning show in favor of a new 6-9 AM local morning show, and without picking up the new Greeny show in mid-days. That station is now about 80/20 local to national content, and the local stuff is all worth listening to.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:11 pm 

Brick wrote:
cookie23 wrote:
Brick wrote:

Closer to Jay Cutler.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:44 pm 

Brick wrote:
cookie23 wrote:
Brick wrote:

Rodgers? LOL, no. How about Cade McNown. No one outside of Chicago sports radio knows who Dan Bernstein is.

There are 20 year old kids on Barstool who are more known nationally right now than Bernstein is or ever was.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Once the Cubs start their inevitable rebuild, I don't see how 670 stays a viable business as an all local host sports station. Maybe they just move to a mix of CBS Sports Radio and gambling shows, and keep one local host like LoHo or Meatpants for 3-6p as well as Bears programming on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:53 pm 

I have reviewed Entercom’s financials several times. I guess we’re still too close to the shutdown to know what their run rate looks like. Typically with a debt laden company in a declining industry, they will start to sell assets to pay down debt.

They could also try to restructure.

My guess is that they will sell blocks of stations to try to carry them through.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's

When Terry still had his fastball he was one of the few local media guys that would give you a unique take, especially when it came to baseball, much of what they did is not possible in today's SJW/Corporate environment. He made frequent listeners feel like they were insiders by frequently using drops or code phrases when dealing with guests/callers. The station used to shell out for guys like Buddy Ryan and Chuck Daly and Uncle Terry made them much more entertaining by almost openly mocking them, hard to image today because most of the "experts" are CBS radio staffers or guys from content aggregation websites that have almost no personality and just regurgitate stats.

Come to think of it, the station has digressed immensely and in the current conformity climate there is really no one waiting in the wings at the station that is capable of providing the unique content shows like the Monsters and Heavy Fuel crew used to provide.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
Boers could TOTALLY carry a show, he just stayed around too long after he'd lost interest especially in the Bears.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Boers started on the radio having to hold his own against cranky old writers like Mooshil, Gleason, Van Dyke, Jauss, etc on the old radio Sports Reporters on Sunday nights on WGN. Those guys would just flat out tell you that you were full of shit, until Ben Bentley would change the topic.

Did anybody think Terry was going to give a crap what Laurence Holmes thought of his opinion? Once Terry decided that it was all stupid but they'd still give him mid six figures to sit there in his underwear and be a goof, he became the caricature.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: coal fire
how could anyone be surprised by this when WSCR has hosts crying that college football is playing during the pandemic?

yes i am an insensitive prick but all i care about is sports.

i do not want BLM and china virus shoved down my throat from 6am-6pm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Greenberg still does the "Back and Better than Ever" thing.

He also tends to loudly inhale before speaks, which Bernstein also does.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
The Score needs to rebuild badly. Dump Bernstein, Parkins, Holmes, and Haugh and hire a bunch of kids who weren't at the Score when everyone decided to copy Bernstein and become a "very serious sports host". At this point I'm sure you can find some characters on YouTube that have a better personality than the current crop of dorks. The wackier, the better. Get some bros that want to interact with meatball fans on the phone. Enough with the monologues. Interact with fans. Feel the flow.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
blackhawksfan wrote:
The Score needs to rebuild badly. Dump Bernstein, Parkins, Holmes, and Haugh and hire a bunch of kids who weren't at the Score when everyone decided to copy Bernstein and become a "very serious sports host". At this point I'm sure you can find some characters on YouTube that have a better personality than the current crop of dorks. The wackier, the better. Get some bros that want to interact with meatball fans on the phone. Enough with the monologues. Interact with fans. Feel the flow.

Odd you didn’t mention dumping Mully. You think he’d be a good fit for the atmosphere you just described. He’s the fullest of them all

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
blackhawksfan wrote:

Mully, Bernstein, Haugh, and Holmes can go. Keep Parkins around and pair him with Spiegel. I want a Chicago sports radio show with 2 hosts of similar age that have great chemistry. There hasn't been a show like that since Silvy and Carmen.

Hopefully 670 welcomes Barstool Big Cat with open arms and a checkbook in a couple years. Does PFT want to move to Chicago? How about Ryen Russillo? Jurko want to switch dials? I'd listen to Big Cat, Russillo, and Jurko in the afternoons.

Bring Hood back. Bring in Ryan Brandell from Barstool Chicago.

#make670thescoregreatagain