It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Summer Book Ratings
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
vitoscotti wrote:
The Score goes from 2.1 to 1.7 overall ratings. With lots of interesting sports happenings going on from early November to early December.

And WMVP goes from .9 to .7 overall ratings...despite lots of “interesting sports happenings”. Apparently there are many more interesting Christmas song happenings based on this in-depth analysis. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:51 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lite FM always owns this month free and clear, but the Score has always counted on Bears season for big numbers, and that's not happening. Why would it? The station has no direction whatsoever, no identity. I feel like they're doing all they can to just keep existing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Curious Hair wrote:
Lite FM always owns this month free and clear, but the Score has always counted on Bears season for big numbers, and that's not happening. Why would it? The station has no direction whatsoever, no identity. I feel like they're doing all they can to just keep existing.

Yep, this is the time of the year when 670 should be hitting their best numbers. Even when the Bears are bad, people tune in because bad Bears football often leads to fun sports radio. The numbers they are putting up now are what you should expect to see in February or March when there is no football and baseball hasn't yet started.

670 shot its foot off in Week 1 of this football season.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:03 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Curious Hair wrote:
The station has no direction whatsoever, no identity. I feel like they're doing all they can to just keep existing.

My sentiments exactly.

They appear clinging to life, not merely from a raw ratings perspective but from the overall vibe across all time slots.

No one compelling to steer the ship. Everyone’s act has worn thin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Crick Ramp wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
The station has no direction whatsoever, no identity. I feel like they're doing all they can to just keep existing.

My sentiments exactly.

They appear clinging to life, not merely from a raw ratings perspective but from the overall vibe across all time slots.

No one compelling to steer the ship. Everyone’s act has worn thin

Therein lies the stations problem.

It's been acts for years, and they have worn thin.

Like Mac or not, he was authentic as a person. It's why he lasted so long and was far more successful then most.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:14 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
For me, and apparently many, the Score has simply become filler, background noise or elevator Muzak. It’s on when I am doing some stuff in the garage, some project or other duties. It is not must listen. Hasn’t been.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Yeah, gone are the days when I would sit in my driveway after the ride home from work just to keep listening to the HFC.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:34 pm 

as I've written many times, the original Score embraced you as a listener. The hosts were friends with the listeners and you wanted to hear what they had to say. North had listeners over to his house. The hosts took busses with fans to games in Milwaukee like you would do with friends from your local bar, community association or parish.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the hosts are now hostile to listeners but I wouldn't debate you if you tried to make the case. How many times have I heard from different hosts how they despise taking calls on Bears' Mondays? Even their big promotion outings (from what I hear) are divided with the listeners being shuffled into steerage far away from the "VIPs".

They now think they are embracing the listener by being on Twitter.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:50 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
The Score doesn't embrace its listeners, that's for sure, but what's really strange is that they don't even antagonize them, either. The old Boers & Bernstein & Goff dynamic is gone, which is fine because it overstayed its welcome once Terry left, but now it seems as if they're ambivalent or even oblivious to the listenership. I don't think they think any relation with listeners is important anymore. As far as talk content goes, Entercom/radio.com seems to see itself not in the radio business but in the podcast business while also happening to have broadcasts on the radio. Hosts do their shows, they give their thoughts, they have their guests, and send it out into the world, take it or leave it. I don't think it's a good idea to compete on that turf.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
The Score goes from 2.1 to 1.7 overall ratings. With lots of interesting sports happenings going on from early November to early December.

And WMVP goes from .9 to .7 overall ratings...despite lots of “interesting sports happenings”. Apparently there are many more interesting Christmas song happenings based on this in-depth analysis. :roll:

Your crowd listens to Christmas music early November. To each his own. "I'm happy for ya."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I don't get their obsession with Twitter. The people using Twitter the most aren't listening to AM terrestrial radio. They're listening to podcasts, Spotify music libraries they curated, or Sirius/XM.

It's no accident that the most successful person at the station (Mully) doesn't even have a Twitter account

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
I don't think listeners care what the current Score host's opinions are. The stray off sports guys all poisoned the waters.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:18 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I don't get their obsession with Twitter. The people using Twitter the most aren't listening to AM terrestrial radio. They're listening to podcasts, Spotify music libraries they curated, or Sirius/XM.

It's no accident that the most successful person at the station (Mully) doesn't even have a Twitter account

I have never gotten this. But it is engineered I know. Forever Bernie as an example swore off all social media. Then it obviously was shown to him he must use it and promote the station, himself and maybe most annoying as all the guests Twitter.

No the latest thing is twitch to come from management.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:25 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Twitter allows them to bolster their “straw men” bullshit thereby giving them content.

And for some justifies them not taking calls, since they are already “representing” the fan perspective.

All of which is bullshit of course

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Most of the hosts on WSCR are good to decent at being a radio host but are, to me, not at all likable as people.

Most of the hosts on AM1000 are likable enough as people but are either bad at being a radio host or have grating voices/delivery.

As a result, I listen to little of either station. Once upon a time I could have one or the other on at least as background noise, but I can't even do that anymore.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:29 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
good dolphin wrote:
as I've written many times, the original Score embraced you as a listener. The hosts were friends with the listeners and you wanted to hear what they had to say. North had listeners over to his house. The hosts took busses with fans to games in Milwaukee like you would do with friends from your local bar, community association or parish.

I wouldn't go as far as saying the hosts are now hostile to listeners but I wouldn't debate you if you tried to make the case. How many times have I heard from different hosts how they despise taking calls on Bears' Mondays? Even their big promotion outings (from what I hear) are divided with the listeners being shuffled into steerage far away from the "VIPs".

Imagine Parkins or 2020 Bernstein taking a bus trip to Milwaukee with listeners lol

The "waaaaa we hate Bears Mondays" thing was funny when B&B would play Simpsons drops about dreading talking to the audience. But honestly if it bothers you that much then quit and go fucking write for Deadspin, or try to monetize a podcast of you talking about whatever stupid obscure topics you want to talk about. Say what you will about Les, he takes calls on Bears Sunday overnights often from utter crackpots who've been into the Canadian Club or MGD since noon and he doesn't bitch about it, in fact he seems to love it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:46 pm 

Exile on Route 41 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Imagine Parkins or 2020 Bernstein taking a bus trip to Milwaukee with listeners lol

The "waaaaa we hate Bears Mondays" thing was funny when B&B would play Simpsons drops about dreading talking to the audience. But honestly if it bothers you that much then quit and go fucking write for Deadspin, or try to monetize a podcast of you talking about whatever stupid obscure topics you want to talk about. Say what you will about Les, he takes calls on Bears Sunday overnights often from utter crackpots who've been into the Canadian Club or MGD since noon and he doesn't patriot about it, in fact he seems to love it.

Bernstein didn't hate talking to stupid callers. Without it he was just another by the numbers radio host. That bit made his career and his ratings. He just got lost into the persona that he was better and smarter than the average caller to the point where anything he did on the air was informing and bettering these idiots he had to speak with. I don't know if it was a lack of self-awareness or just laziness.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.