It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
I would guess fewer people are listening to the radio now than in 1996. Bigger share of a smaller pie now.

That plus no sports for months and no commuting for a sizable part of the workforce. It has to be a tiny audience now compared to the peak.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: coal fire
this is fake news. if i was 1000 i would demand a recount.

literally every single one of 670's hosts are insufferable.

i seriously do not know why people choose 670 over 1000?

there is not a single entertaining personality on 670.

670 is chock full of radio guy hacks that have never played a sport in their life and offer no real insight into the sports they cover.

dan bernstein can read a billion books about baseball and still wouldnt know half as much about the sport as waddle/jurko know about football.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:08 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
I don't know how long Screamy & Haugh will hold on to the AM lead.

As much as I don't like Kap, him and JHood is a solid listen.

Maybe. But people on this board have been singing the praises of JHood for as long as I can remember and he has never been more than a blip in the ratings. (Note: I am OK with Hood but this has been a repeated theme).
Yeah, there have been issues for sure. It's also been quite a while since Hoodie had a regular show on at a regular time. Particularly one during AM or PM drive.

Time and ratings will tell, but I've had a chance to sample this show more than any other over the past 2-3 months, and its worlds better than Haugh & Screamy.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The only hosts I'd listen to for their opinion on a breaking sports story would be W & S, or Hub if he's filling in. Got burnt too many times listening
to the Score and the host doing his duty to go sjw.
I subscribe to all the shows podcasts then check out if there's any interesting guests to check out. With guests the hosts sit back more which is a better listen. A lot of these hosts don't have sports backgrounds which is bizarre. Most are only best in small doses. To dislike someone's sports opinions, I'll listen. But for their life opinions, well the ratings prove people are moving on.

Last edited by vitoscotti on Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
nobody admits to being a fan of M&H yet they consistently have the highest ratings on the station. Illum wins again

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

Maybe. But people on this board have been singing the praises of JHood for as long as I can remember and he has never been more than a blip in the ratings. (Note: I am OK with Hood but this has been a repeated theme).

do now you are alternatively arguing that popularity may not indicate quality

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here but my point was simply in response to Frank's AM ratings prediction.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:42 pm 

billypootons wrote:
nobody admits to being a fan of M&H yet they consistently have the highest ratings on the station. Illum wins again

I'm a M and H fan. I think the morning show sets the perfect tone and pace for sports morning drive

it just isn't a show that you can fall in love with

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
looks to me like the Score audience steadily declines after the morning show with both Bernstein and Parkins sloughing off large portions of their lead in audience

Despite what was clearly a bad year for Sports-talk radio, The Score still has higher ratings than they did in what you like to refer to as "the golden years".

I'm sure you researched it so you won't be offended if I ask you to show your work.

Right off the bat, long parts of the golden era were hampered by only being on air half a day with drive time cutting off at 4 pm some days. But I'm open to your argument. I'd be interested to see what the Monsters/HFC are like compared to Bernstein/Sir/Parkins

I guess I'd have to ask what year(s) you consider golden. As I've noted previously, I listened from day 1 to virtually every hour they aired before they went 24 hours (albeit M-F only). Those were some of my favorite years but the ratings were not good. The Score didn't really become a factor in the top 20 until Mac was gone and the afternoon shows battled it out. The highest ratings for both stations have been in the last 10 years. Clearly 2020 was a down year and the radio landscape long term doesn't look favorable but local sports will always have an audience in a highly coveted market and thus will survive.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:51 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
billypootons wrote:

I'm a M and H fan. I think the morning show sets the perfect tone and pace for sports morning drive

it just isn't a show that you can fall in love with
You're only an M&H 'fan' because the only sports alternative was Mike & Mike. I listened to M&H (Hanley and Haugh) often as well solely for the local content. Kap and Hood a lot better.

To your "empty the benches" thread from a couple of weeks ago, I enjoyed hearing Hanley on the air again in the morning.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:53 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
The Score didn't become a factor in the ratings until Arbitron switched from diaries to portable people meters in 2008. That was the breakthrough for sports radio; before then people had just been content to say they listened to WGN, WBBM, and WGCI. MJH vs. B&B was a good time for B&B content but it was rating measurement that made the real difference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Crick Ramp wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

With Greenberg moving to 9-11, what are they doing with Kap/Hood's time slot?

Damn..when is this happening?

Nationally Greenberg took over DLBs 10-12ET slot when they left on Monday, and Max Kellerman is now where Greenberg was.

Maybe 1000 is playing Greenberg on tape delay in his old time slot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:34 am 

Crick Ramp wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:

With Greenberg moving to 9-11, what are they doing with Kap/Hood's time slot?

Damn..when is this happening?

Nationally Greenberg took over DLBs 10-12ET slot when they left on Monday, and Max Kellerman is now where Greenberg was.

Maybe 1000 is playing Greenberg on tape delay in his old time slot.

This is what they are currently doing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I've caught some of Greenie over the last month and have enjoyed it. I used be a daily listener to Mike and Mike and was always a fan of Greenie. Yes, I had much lower listening standards at that time and this was pre-podcasts so it was either The Score, music, or Mike and Mike. Golic grated my nerves over time and I had to stop listening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
If you were to replay an hour from HFC and compare it to the current afternoon show you would find that the HFC featured quicker transitions from topic to topic, much better guests including regular access to coaches/players, callers, humor, and a palpable difference in the energy levels of the hosts.