It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:03 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:
Masur was always a bad fit with the Sox. He's good at what he does, but he's a Cubs guy. Only South Siders or former players should broadcast for the Sox, in my opinion.

He was like vanilla ice cream. A perfectly competent dessert, but completely uninspiring.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:10 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I agree. His level is probably pre/post and #1A-type backup, which is still better than most people in the industry. Wayne Randazzo, basically.

The White Sox are a unique institution in sports in that the geographic area they represent is so specific. Only the New York Islanders really come close. Ed Farmer was a weirdo who was in over his head, but he was a White Sock and a local guy. I respect that from afar (well, not from too far) in a way I never did with Hawk Harrelson, who along with Drysdale was actually Reinsdorf's attempt at making the Sox more big-time, or Connor McKnight, who is from Wisconsin if he's from anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:00 am 

voted broadcaster most likely to be rolled by locals on his way out of a remote in bridgeport

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
good dolphin wrote:
voted broadcaster most likely to be rolled by locals on his way out of a remote in bridgeport

I was thinking about that yesterday. Didn't McKnight have a picture of him with a black eye?

As far as Simonson goes, sometimes The Great Skipper in the Sky uses imperfect people to get what He wants. Like Job, I've learned to shut up and accept it. And in Simonson's case, laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
HawaiiYou wrote:

Goff actually has some talent.

What talent is that? He was a positive as a producer chiming in on B&B but has awful at just about every subsequent role.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:44 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
DAC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

What talent is that? He was a positive as a producer chiming in on B&B but has awful at just about every subsequent role.

I didn’t even bother trying to convey that point to HY. But you’re correct.

Even more to the point, the role he’s current in for Bulls pre/post is a bad fit because he’s supposed to facilitate discussion and tee up talking points for the experts...but whatever “strengths” one is inclined to say Goff possesses, those damn sure aren’t some off them. He always has to dominate discussions and be overbearing

Goff and McDoink are silly retread hires. Not evidence of white privilege

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
DAC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Back in the days of Bernstein & Goff, when they weren't doing silly things like spending segments discussing a Western Conference Quarterfinals matchup in the Chicago afternoon drive slot or calling Blackhawks fans racist, Goff displayed an effortless and deep knowledge of the then-current college football and NFL, as well as NBA of course, landscape. Bernstein could play Name That ABA/CBA Star all day long, but Goff could talk about that weekend's primetime college football matchup, or which Iowa player projected well in the draft, or which out-of-town cornerback the Bears should target in free agency, which is a skill that lends itself well to being a very good sports talker. I think B&G needed a strong producer backed by management (instead of Bernstein being backed by management as FOTS) that could keep them on track discussing things that would resonate with a Chicago audience, not People On Twitter. But, as Goff has hinted at after his departure, he was playing to Dan's tune in programming that show.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:20 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
DAC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

He knows basketball and communicates it very well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Nardi wrote:
DAC wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

He knows basketball and communicates it very well.

I don't think he is a good communicator. As we all know, he rambles and dominates conversations. When your style is off-putting, you can't be a good communicator.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:27 pm 

Crick Ramp wrote:
It always fascinates me how networks/businesses can’t help themselves when it comes to employing retreads. McDoink does not move the meter in any way. Never has. Never will. But I guess he will keep getting work.

Good for him. But he sucks

Cause this type of thing doesn’t ever happen in other industries.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Yeah. But whoever does the SOX pre and post on the radio doesn't move the meters. They're all the same generic types - white guys - shilling for the team.

So it doesn't matter who does it. But somebody has to do it. It's not a money maker. It's a set rate no matter who does it. So you might as well just get somebody who speaks well. McDoink can do that I guess. You're not gonna get some outrageous personality to do this fucking job. The teams don't want that, obviously.

Have you ever heard anybody say "I CANT"T WAIT TO HEAR SOX POST GAME ON THE RADIO".

I'm sure every radio post game guy in the country is just a boring white guy doing the highlights and taking the calls talking about the stupid game.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Yup, Pre/Post shows are formulaic, easy to find someone to follow the script.

Pregame, have on the pitching coach/manager, go over matchups. McKnight can say something like, "Last game (insert starting pitcher) has a 35% spin rate on curveball in the 2nd inning, that gives him the advantage over (insert opposing hitter) who only hits .200 against pitchers with a spin rate above 34.5% on Tuesdays.

Post game, focus on the one player on Sox that had a good game, even if team gets blown out. McKnight will say something like, "(Insert hitter) had a bat speed of 100 on that hard ground out to short, that is the 14th highest of his career, no one works harder than (insert hitter).

Rinse, copy, repeat 162 times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:56 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Clawmaster wrote:

Pregame, have on the pitching coach/manager, go over matchups. McKnight can say something like, "Last game (insert starting pitcher) has a 35% spin rate on curveball in the 2nd inning, that gives him the advantage over (insert opposing hitter) who only hits .200 against pitchers with a spin rate above 34.5% on Tuesdays.

Post game, focus on the one player on Sox that had a good game, even if team gets blown out. McKnight will say something like, "(Insert hitter) had a bat speed of 100 on that hard ground out to short, that is the 14th highest of his career, no one works harder than (insert hitter).

If McKnight must work in radio, then it's the "perfect" job for him.

He accumulated 87 subscribers on youtube since the Score retired him.

Almost no one wants to hear his actual thoughts on anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:39 pm 
1000 CLUB

Clawmaster wrote:

Exactly what I meant. You just said it better.