It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Terry Boers
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:25 am 

Brick wrote:
rogers park bryan wrote:
I liked MJH better
That show got me listening to sports radio and I chose it over B&B when it went head to head most of the time. B&B has an amazing amount of content that is still just as great today.

As much as I dislike Bernstein, I've always said there is a place for him at the Score. It's just that he was miscast as the face of the station. He is niche radio, perfectly placed in a non drive time slot. I like him being an iconoclast, railing against the evils and hypocrisies of sports. However, I don't need that during drive times.

and the ratings have always reflected this. A Bernstein show has never dominated when it had legitimate competition. He has never had the biggest audience at the station and he regularly loses listeners from his lead in.

That's on Mitch that he was ever given the power to define the Score.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: John's
MJH was the best. Especially when Jurko would fuck with Harry TinyNutz.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:37 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
MJH was consistently better but B+B had much higher highs.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:41 am 

Great stuff with Terry and Hawk!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN6q1ucACY8

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: John's
Peak B&B for me at least was when Bernstein did his Alan Keyes impersonation reading off the lists of various "gods" that wouldn't vote for Obama. That's when they took politics as a joke vs their partisan platform.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Those youtube videos provide a stark contrast of pre and post Penn State B&B.

Granted, Danny could never ruin the show as he did had Terry not mentally and physically checked out a year or two before then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
this is a Cairo upload, here's a show open with just the right amount of drops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMvf1er3o3o

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
HFC was better than MJH simply because Harry was useless. Keep in mind that an engaged Terry Boers is probably the best this city ever had more than the peak of Chet or North. Terry was funny in such subtle ways. And Mac used to laugh so hard that his stomach must have hurt.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
denisdman wrote:
HFC was better than MJH simply because Harry was useless. Keep in mind that an engaged Terry Boers is probably the best this city ever had more than the peak of Chet or North. Terry was funny in such subtle ways. And Mac used to laugh so hard that his stomach must have hurt.

At his peak North brought a strangely contagious level of energy to the AM airwaves. There were a few years where the Monsters put on an incredibly entertaining show with North sounding like the over served guy you would talk sports with while you were waiting for your next round of drinks. Chet was the OG, maybe if he wouldn't have burned bridges at the stations onset could have found a role during one of the lineup reshuffles. These guys brought unique personalities to the air, starkly different from today's sound alike, afraid to say anything SJW types that bring nothing but tedium to the airwaves.

Wonder if Mac will relaunch his podcast, his previous effort had moments.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:39 pm 

And compare North/Chet at their best against Terry at his best. He was genuinely funny and knew a lot about sports. Terry seemed to have the best pedigree with his background.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
City of Fools wrote:

I loved how "what we be doin'?" "we be streamin'" gradually degenerated to to the point where one day Terry just went "waaauhhhh?" and Dan lost it because he realized it had finally reached its conclusion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
City of Fools wrote:

That was 2011 and Dan mentions his Twitter. Guessing it was very different back then.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:16 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
I loved the early Score. But MJH was by far my favorite. Most likely because of my own personal interaction and meeting you tools over the years.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:11 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
denisdman wrote:
And compare North/Chet at their best against Terry at his best. He was genuinely funny and knew a lot about sports. Terry seemed to have the best pedigree with his background.

GTFO North at his peak destroys Bores and everyone else. Who in Chicago Sports radio in the last 30 years has been a bigger star than Mike North?? that's right, nobody. Love him or hate him it's the truth.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Clawmaster wrote:
denisdman wrote:

At his peak North brought a strangely contagious level of energy to the AM airwaves. There were a few years where the Monsters put on an incredibly entertaining show with North sounding like the over served guy you would talk sports with while you were waiting for your next round of drinks. Chet was the OG, maybe if he wouldn't have burned bridges at the stations onset could have found a role during one of the lineup reshuffles. These guys brought unique personalities to the air, starkly different from today's sound alike, afraid to say anything SJW types that bring nothing but tedium to the airwaves.

Wonder if Mac will relaunch his podcast, his previous effort had moments.

Clawmaster again hitting it out of the park!

North's take on sports was so unique I really don't think anyone I've heard anywhere match him. His skepticism and approach to sports matters was really something to be hold when he was at his peak. Even a few years ago I heard him on am1000 talking about theo vs hahn and his take was still so fresh.

I wish North had some kind of voice in radio still. He's probably too risky now to take a chance on because of the SJW culture.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:14 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
HawaiiYou wrote:
denisdman wrote:

GTFO North at his peak destroys Bores and everyone else. Who in Chicago Sports radio in the last 30 years has been a bigger star than Mike North?? that's right, nobody. Love him or hate him it's the truth.

Uh oh...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
HawaiiYou wrote:
denisdman wrote:

North was just a wannabe mobster with a big mouth who knew some bookies. He was a bigger ratings draw because a bunch of Streets and Sanitation and Park District types like goombahs.

In terms of quality of output, peak Terry was better.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
denisdman wrote:

North was just a wannabe mobster with a big mouth who knew some bookies. He was a bigger ratings draw because a bunch of Streets and Sanitation and Park District types like goombahs.

North made money through his loyal connections, not his ratings. His reputation far exceeded the number of listeners he garnered.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
HawaiiYou wrote:

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:09 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Uh oh...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:58 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The old Score wasn't perfect, but I could listen in larger doses. Mac could be annoying, constantly whining about managemrnt. Today's hosts are at a tremendous disadvantage having to be pc, and having to agree with all sjw views, or be ostracized. You knew where the old Score guys stood. Now, who knows? A lot of opinions could be from job security fear. If you stuck the old guys into today's slots it could be different with their hands being tied. I don't think they'd go through the bland motions like the current hosts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Torn on North because he some of the stuff he did with Jiggs was amazingly entertaining, but he also was responsible for tearing apart the lineup with the ill fated Mike North Morning Show. By the way know your all happy for me, but was "Emailer of the Show", on the North Morning show, got an odd package of tchotchkes with the MNMS logo, so I will always have that fleeting moment of glory.

Terry, Mac, and North would be on the score Mt. Rushmore for me, but in my often misguided opinion Terry will always be the soul of the station. His quick wit, ability to get the best out of sometimes disinterested experts, and often contrarian takes on teams/athletes/organization make him the best host in the stations history.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:14 am 

denisdman wrote:

There is no Score without North. The same cannot be said of Boers, who wasn't even the lead on his own show.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:23 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
denisdman wrote:

North made money through his loyal connections, not his ratings. His reputation far exceeded the number of listeners he garnered.

I don't know if the ratings numbers are around but I don't think that is true.

North was a one man bandwagon for the Score. He did everything he could outside of the four hours of his shift to make that station work, to the benefit of the others.

North was the only guy working without a safety net in the industry. He had one shot and he made the most of it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 am 

GD, but that does not answer the question I asked. The Monsters had a huge impact on the station no doubt. But in terms of entertainment and sports thoughts, I much preferred Terry. It sucked because HFC got cut off when the sun went down. The winters were a rough ride home.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:29 am 

denisdman wrote:
GD, but that does not answer the question I asked. The Monsters had a huge impact on the station no doubt. But in terms of entertainment and sports thoughts, I much preferred Terry. It sucked because HFC got cut off when the sun went down. The winters were a rough ride home.

North at his best is better than Terry at his best. Terry never could carry a show on his own.

Chet isn't even in the discussion. He gets props for what he did in the industry but the Score product diverged so greatly from Chet type radio that it drove him into irrelevance

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:47 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

I loved how "what we be doin'?" "we be streamin'" gradually degenerated to to the point where one day Terry just went "waaauhhhh?" and Dan lost it because he realized it had finally reached its conclusion

Terry told me a story about why he did that at a remote in Bartlett. Not only can I not remember the story, I think he was making it up.

I wish I knew what the "eggymcmuffin" drop was from. That one gets me every time. 10:35?!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

Terry told me a story about why he did that at a remote in Bartlett. Not only can I not remember the story, I think he was making it up.

I wish I knew what the "eggymcmuffin" drop was from. That one gets me every time. 10:35?!

if that 4 minutes aired today, the show hosts would get fired and mitch rosen would be fired... that was content from 10 years ago too

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:06 am 

billypootons wrote:
City of Fools wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
City of Fools wrote:

if that 4 minutes aired today, the show hosts would get fired and mitch rosen would be fired... that was content from 10 years ago too

those guys had Mitch and Drew Hayes eating out of their hands. They routinely made fun of Mitch and Drew on air. Drew got the Hobbit song from Leonard Nimoy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:31 pm 

pizza_Place: State Line
good dolphin wrote:
Chet isn't even in the discussion. He gets props for what he did in the industry but the Score product diverged so greatly from Chet type radio that it drove him into irrelevance

It really is something how Chet was almost as big a star as Dahl or Brandmeier in 1991, yet eight years later he was reduced to doing pre/postgame on Fox Sports Chicago for a dreadful Hawks team. That's the impact the Score had.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next