It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: where's giangreco?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:28 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Re the Giangreco/Payton comments, he never knew Walter's condition when he made the comment, felt terrible when he found out and Payton came up to him at a outing and basically forgave him.

It's in some biography I watched...

The guy's entire career was based on being a smartass. It had gotten stale before that, speculating that a local hero had AIDS was just low class.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Unless Cheryl Burton has a very dry sense of humor, and I get the impression she does not, she has said some pretty ditzy things on the news.

I haven't heard Giangreco on Waddle & Silvy for a while (and don't listen to their show much since Bleck and Abdalla joined), but the last few times I heard him he sounded depressed. He'd complain about how fat he had become and then say he ate a whole pizza, or a meal meant for at least 2 people, by himself and how awful he felt afterward.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Getting somebody canned for saying she could play a ditzty character is preposterous. If this was white-on-white Giangreco would only get slapped on the wrist.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:23 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Regular Reader wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:
Re the Giangreco/Payton comments, he never knew Walter's condition when he made the comment, felt terrible when he found out and Payton came up to him at a outing and basically forgave him.

The guy's entire career was based on being a smartass. It had gotten stale before that, speculating that a local hero had AIDS was just low class.

i dont think he ever said he had AIDS. He just said he lost a lot of weight and looked like Gandhi.

The one who speculated AIDS was North.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
HawaiiYou wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

i dont think he ever said he had AIDS. He just said he lost a lot of weight and looked like Gandhi.

Yep re: the Gandhi quip

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct- ... story.html

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
FrankDrebin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
Caller Bob wrote:

Yep re: the Gandhi quip

Send e-mail to Fred Mitchell at kick3485@aol.com

this email still works right?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Not a fan at all f Giangreco, cannot stand him on Waddle and Silvy, but he cannot be off for this comment.

Has to be a contract, other issues, etc. It all makes no sense.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:59 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I'm wondering if he has a clause in his contract where if he is sat for X number of days his contract is voided ala Goff.

Mark probably spent the money on an agent or lawyer to make sure that did not happen.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:26 am 

If a white male crosses the line with someone pc you'd think they'd do it with someone their friends with. Burton and MG must not be too close for her to go to management. Joan Esposito and MG must of had a close friendship for her to laugh with him. Today on PTI Tony Kornhiser welcomed Pablo Torres to guest host with praise. Then, later saying there's one man here today, and one kid (Torres). They have to be tight for TK to say that in today's insane climate. Torres laughed it off. PTI co-hosts constantly throw mild jabs at each other. Part of the appeal of the show. Giangreco...wisecracks got him to where he is today.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
I think that there was bad blood between them (Burton/Giangreco) previously. So this wasn't him making a stupid comment once and her crying. I think it had been something building.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:30 pm 

He's had a sweet deal dream job for the last 35 years. He should have known not to fuck it up.

But it probably doesn't matter to him. He was going to probably retire anyway. He should be loaded money wise if he played his cards right.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:38 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Regular Reader wrote:
I just find it funny how she's pigeonholed into the role of a ditz, as if newsrooms are overflowing with sharp minded people. And I've had no use for that jackass Giangreco since his Payton remarks. Fuck him.

What did he say? I don't know this story.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:43 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
I just find it funny how she's pigeonholed into the role of a ditz, as if newsrooms are overflowing with sharp minded people. And I've had no use for that jackass Giangreco since his Payton remarks. Fuck him.

What did he say? I don't know this story.

Quote:
A recording of the 10 p.m. newscast that night showed Giangreco wrapping up a story about Canadian hockey star Spencer Jenkin painting his house while on roller skates and said: “Gotta get him a show on DIY Network. We’ll call it ‘House Fix with Sticks,’ and Cheryl can play the ditzy, combative interior decorator. I got it all worked out.”

Sources said Burton complained to management about Giangreco’s comment, resulting in his suspension. Talks are said to be under way that could lead to his termination after 27 years as the station’s top sports anchor. Giangreco has 18 months left on his contract.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Drebin has it linked.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:22 pm 

none of these tribune links work. just send me to the homepage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
something's missing all right

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:59 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:

Need adblocker private browser other than stock one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
HawaiiYou wrote:

GIANGRECO'S `GANDHI' REMARK RILES PAYTONS
Fred Mitchell
CHICAGO TRIBUNE
It was just a flip comment, but it still upset Walter and Connie Payton when WLS-TV sports anchor Mark Giangreco referred last week to the gaunt appearance of the Bears Hall of Fame running back.

"He referred to him as Gandhi. And then, earlier in the day, I think he said (Walter) looked shriveled up or something like that. I think he owes him an apology," Connie Payton said Tuesday.

"That hurt, it really did," said Walter, who revealed his life-threatening liver condition at a Tuesday news conference. "I realize how serious it is and I realize there are a lot of other people that it might be serious to. To poke fun at it without even knowing what the problems are . . . it's very difficult. Very disheartening."

Giangreco delivered an on-air clarification and apology during his sports segment on the 5 p.m. news Tuesday. Giangreco said later he was "devastated" to learn the real cause of Payton's dramatic weight loss.

Last week, during a news conference to announce that his son, Jarrett, would attend the University of Miami to play football, Payton--a renowned jokester--told Ch. 7's Brad Palmer that he was "training for the marathon" to account for his appearance, and Palmer passed on that comment to Giangreco.

"I would never take an opportunity like that to say something malicious," said Giangreco, known for wisecracking. "This is one of those life lessons. Maybe in the future I will pause before I say something. I hope to have a personal conversation with Walter about this."

Payton declined to speak to him on the telephone Tuesday.

Family support: Connie Payton was in a hurry Tuesday.

She was trying to get away to watch 14-year-old daughter Brittney play in a volleyball game in Buffalo Grove.

Minutes earlier her eyes had welled with tears as her husband spoke.

"I have a lot of faith and I believe in my heart that it will be fine. I don't doubt that for even one minute," she said. "I think my tears today came just from seeing him cry. I haven't seen that side of him. I think that was healthy and it was good. I don't want anybody to be sorry or anybody to be sad. It's going to be OK and we welcome all of the prayers, because I do believe in that."

Reacting to the symptoms: Like many, Walter needed a little prompting to visit the doctor when his symptoms first arose last July.

"When we started noticing the weight loss, I knew something was wrong," his wife said. "Then the jaundice really got to be something. I had to kind of step back to make it seem like it was his idea (to go to a doctor)."

True Sweetness: Even in the face of dire circumstances, Payton retained his sense of humor while obliging Chicago television reporters with one-on-one interviews after the news conference.

"I am losing all the weight and (former Bears teammate) Roland (Harper) is gaining all the weight," Payton told Ch. 5's Mike Adamle, another ex-Bears teammate.

"Why are you wearing a dark suit today?" Payton asked Ch. 2's Tim Weigel before their interview. "Don't start no mess with me."

Weigel countered: "I didn't want to show up in a red sports coat today. I had to tone it down."

When Ch. 32's Dan Jiggetts, still another former teammate, sought to interview both of the Paytons, Walter chided: "You aren't going to get me to cry again on TV."

A real card: A giant 4-foot by 6-foot get-well card to Payton will be set up in the entrance of Harry Caray's Restaurant Wednesday for patrons to sign. The card is in the Bears' colors of orange and blue and reads: "Get Well Soon, Walter--Dutchie, Chip, Your Friends At Harry's And All of Your Fans."

----------

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:19 pm 

thanks Seacrest.

I actually remember that douchebag apologizing on the tv.

his face looked like he was having trouble getting the words out of his mouth. like he never apologized before and did not know how to do it.

I wonder if youtube has it.

and by the way...... where is the apology to Gandhi in all this?

added - I do a search and find this - this guy never learned his lesson did he

I guess regular reader was right on one thing.

Last edited by HawaiiYou on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
HawaiiYou wrote:

his face looked like he was having trouble getting the words out of his mouth. like he never apologized before and did not know how to do it.

That's more on account of having more plastic surgery than Elizabeth Taylor.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
HawaiiYou should cut his wrists.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Your life must really suck if you have time to dig up old Giangreco tweets.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:27 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

That's more on account of having more plastic surgery than Elizabeth Taylor.

If you remember back then, there was a power struggle with Weigal and Giangreco. Giangreco was there to take Tim's job or the perceived threat. After the fallout with the Payton comments, it was said in media circles that 'Now Tim has got Giangreco by the balls over there at channel 7'.

I forgot where I heard it. Probably Steve and Garry.

Last edited by HawaiiYou on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:27 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
Your life must really suck if you have time to dig up old Giangreco tweets.

NO! i was looking for Giangreco's on the air apology to Payton but this other shit came up!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:35 pm 

next post

Last edited by HawaiiYou on Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:38 pm 

original

https://www.robertfeder.com/2021/03/05/ ... more-28917

Feder flashback: When ABC 7 fired a star sportscaster at the top of his game

Tim Weigel and Mark Giangreco

In a move that stuns his colleagues and angers his fans, an immensely popular sportscaster suddenly finds himself out of a job at Chicago’s top-rated television station.

Named in multiple viewer surveys as “Chicago’s best sports anchor,” he still has more than a year left on his contract when ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7 shoves him out the door without so much as a word of thanks.

“I will dedicate the rest of my career to making them regret that decision,” Tim Weigel declares on his way out.

Chicago Sun-Times (December 7, 1994)

It was front page news in December 1994 when ABC 7 fired Weigel, a hometown superstar, after a 17-year run as sports anchor (interrupted by a brief experiment as a news anchor).

In a raid that caught nearly everyone by surprise, station boss Joe Ahern lured a younger rising star from rival WMAQ-Channel 5 with a five-year, $5 million guaranteed contract the NBC-owned station couldn’t come close to matching.

That’s how Mark Giangreco landed at “Eyewitness News” 27 years ago.

Today Giangreco, 68, is on the verge of being forced out too. He’s been off the air since January 28 when he jokingly suggested that news anchor Cheryl Burton could “play the ditzy, combative interior decorator” in a fictional do-it-yourself fix-up show. Burton complained and Giangreco was suspended.

Talks are under way that could lead to termination of his contract, which still has 18 months to go.

It’s tempting to see this all as just an expedient opportunity to cut another salary from the budget. But really, did they have to kill the King and Queen of New Year’s Eve at the same time? Talk about a public relations fiasco.

No doubt Giangreco will have plenty of options once everything gets resolved.

But his ouster from ABC 7 feels like the end of an era for Chicago TV. An era when the 10 o’clock news was the biggest show in town and its colorful personalities became celebrities themselves. Johnny Morris led the way as the first seven-figure sports anchor in Chicago, but Tim Weigel came to personify a golden age in the business.

After only two months off the air, Weigel was hired in February 1995 as lead sports anchor at CBS-owned WBBM-Channel 2 and freelance sports columnist for the Sun-Times. “I think it’s going to be great,” he told me at the time. “I really feel liberated.”

Weigel spent the next six years proving to Ahern and the world he wouldn’t be discouraged. In 2001 he died of brain cancer at 56.

---

Comments section Gold again @ Feder!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Giangreco was the young guy who had buzz from his show with McMichael. He replaced the older, more respected Weigel.

Now Giangreco is the old guy.

Circle of life.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:13 pm 

I’d love to see what “ plenty of options “ Feder thinks the fucking hack is going to have . He’ll be selling Fiats at Fletcher Jones .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
badrogue17 wrote:
I’d love to see what “ plenty of options “ Feder thinks the fucking hack is going to have . He’ll be selling Fiats at Fletcher Jones .

He's 68, and he's been making a million a year for at least the last 30 years. He's not looking for more work after this.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:04 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

He's 68, and he's been making a million a year for at least the last 30 years. He's not looking for more work after this.

Divorced not too long ago. Shrunk the nest egg.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next