It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: where's giangreco?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Look at Hub stepping up. Wonder if he would be doing this if Giangreco was a Trump supporter.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
regardless of their reciprocal political affinities, a little surprised to see someone who still aspires to be on-air on legacy media stick out their neck for a fellow broadcaster caught up in cancel-mania. maybe the whole cancel everyone for anything movement's winding down, now that Trump's out of office? Bill Maher's show of late is a weekly diatribe against cancel culture and libtardia, including defending the indefensible (imo) Cuomo.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:21 pm 

Hussra wrote:
regardless of their reciprocal political affinities, a little surprised to see someone who still aspires to be on-air on legacy media stick out their neck for a fellow broadcaster caught up in cancel-mania. maybe the whole cancel everyone for anything movement's winding down, now that Trump's out of office? Bill Maher's show of late is a weekly diatribe against cancel culture and libtardia, including defending the indefensible (imo) Cuomo.

Dont remember Hub saying anything similar when Mac got whacked.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
badrogue17 wrote:
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
I’d love to see what “ plenty of options “ Feder thinks the fucking hack is going to have . He’ll be selling Fiats at Fletcher Jones .

He's 68, and he's been making a million a year for at least the last 30 years. He's not looking for more work after this.

Divorced not too long ago. Shrunk the nest egg.

Suicide is always an option.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:28 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hussra wrote:

Dont remember Hub saying anything similar when Mac got whacked.

His earring says it all.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
Douchebag wrote:
I'm fine with cancelling Giangreco, but can we remove every other local TV sports reporter too? Who actually watches any of that in today's world? Dude hasn't been relevant in nearly 25 years.

No.

And I do.

Local TV is important, it connects u to the community, and connects u to the stars of your city.

You must not be from Chicago or somethin'.

And no, it's not fine to cancel Giangreco for this.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I also enjoy the local news—I fast forward through a lot of it. My crush on Cheryl Scott is a family joke.

I think a more powerful statement would have been for MG to apologize on air versus just cancelling him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:10 pm 
1000 CLUB

Does Hub have to be canceled because he publicly supports Giangreco? Does the SCORE have to fire him?

I'm never sure how this shit works.

The times we live in are so stupid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:52 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Les' 1st call last night is from a guy with a booming voice wanting to talk about Giangreco/Burton. Les cuts him off and rattles off the women's sports he's broadcasted, and tells of the females he's still friends with from those days. Each time the guy wants to progress in talking Les cuts him off with generic "I've known Mark a long time", "it's their business'. Then, they finally mute the guy, and thank him for calling.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
i heard a bit of that...seemed to me that les didn't want to identify cheryl burton as the other person in this issue.

years ago, friend of mine was gassing up his motorcycle by rock n roll mcdonald's - cheryl was there gassing up her car and complimented his bike. he didn't try, but he said she looked great.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:11 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
i heard a bit of that...seemed to me that les didn't want to identify cheryl burton as the other person in this issue.

years ago, friend of mine was gassing up his motorcycle by rock n roll mcdonald's - cheryl was there gassing up her car and complimented his bike. he didn't try, but he said she looked great.

Good thing he didn’t tell her she looks like she could play a gas station attendant .

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:25 pm 

i remember allison payne of channel 9 riding on mark grace's bike after a cubs game. long ride, cigarettes and cocktails.

if giangreco has a bike - even a big wheel, he should offer cheryl a ride and all will be good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2021 1:33 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

I knew two women that worked there in the 90s, including one who was starting on on-air career. The both noted just how helpful and pleasant she always was to be around.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:00 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

I knew two women that worked there in the 90s, including one who was starting on on-air career. The both noted just how helpful and pleasant she always was to be around.

she definitely seems that way, of course, i don't know her.

either way, i'm on her side with this. teasing her off the air and on the air are two different things. i would think she is very conscious of the negative 'ditz' image - ditz or not.

joan esposito seemed ok with giangreco teasing her about her ass. that was off the air, i'm sure we'd have been aware if giangreco talked about her ass during a live broadcast. was this giangreco-burton issue a hanging offense for judge roy bean?? no. but, it's 2021 and this stuff gets smothered immediately. unfortunate all the way around.

this could open a great opportunity for giangreco. a full-time radio show where he can talk 2 hours about the blackhawks and say things he can't say on live tv...he'd be great. first guest?? cheryl burton.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:19 am 

He's not getting fired because of this. He's getting fired because he has 18 months left on a contract and they want to move on from a high paid 70 year old sports anchor. This is just there out to pay a little less on the severance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:39 pm 

i don't doubt that at all - giangreco himself, gave his company the ammunition to do this.

i'll guess that cheryl didn't want this type of reaction from the company, but she had to stick up for herself. it's a misdemeanor, not a felony...company taking advantage of the situation.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I would love to be “in trouble” and sit on my as close to 70 for 18 months at a prorated multimillion contract.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:47 am 

pittmike wrote:
I would love to be “in trouble” and sit on my as close to 70 for 18 months at a prorated multimillion contract.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

shit!!! :lol: beautiful!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:54 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
jeff passan doing it right

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:33 pm 

It’s official. GONE !!! Of course , racism .

Mark Giangreco officially ended his 27-year run as the top sports anchor at ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7 Friday with a settlement on the remaining 18 months of his contract and a farewell memo from management.

His dismissal followed a complaint by ABC 7 news anchor Cheryl Burton that Giangreco referred to her on the air as someone who could “play the ditzy, combative interior decorator” on a hypothetical do-it-yourself show.

It’s unlikely those words alone would have cost Giangreco his job, but in light of his disciplinary record that included three prior suspensions for comments or tweets deemed inappropriate, the latest incident proved fatal in the current corporate climate, according to all accounts.

Cheryl Burton
Giangreco, 68, had been on administrative leave since that broadcast January 28. Until now ABC 7 would not comment on the absence of its No. 1 sportscaster from Chicago’s top-rated newscast.

Terms of Giangreco’s separation were not disclosed, but his firing ends one of the longest and most successful runs of any sports anchor in Chicago. Every ABC 7 newscast he appeared on was No. 1 in the ratings.

John Idler, president and general manager of ABC 7, confirmed Giangreco’s exit in an email to employees that did not address the reason for his termination. “Mark Giangreco, who has been as influential on the Chicago sports scene as the athletes he’s covered, is moving on to a new chapter,” Idler wrote. “I want to thank Mark for his many contributions to ABC 7 and our viewers. I’m sure you will all join me in wishing him the very best.”

The email also included a statement attributed to Giangreco: “It’s been a great run. Working at Chicago’s top station, in the country’s greatest sports town with some of the best people in the business, would be a perfect trifecta for any sports anchor. I’ve had all that and more. But I assure you I’m still going to be having fun doing other things. I want to especially thank my colleagues at ABC 7. You have made this such an incredible ride. I’m deeply grateful to all of you.”

Idler, Giangreco and his agent, Joel Weisman, would not respond to requests for comment Friday. The settlement is presumed to include a nondisclosure agreement.

A native of Buffalo, New York, and graduate of the University of Dayton, Giangreco joined ABC 7 in 1994 after 12 years at NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5. He was lured by a five-year, $5 million guaranteed contract that made him the highest paid sports anchor in the market.
For 20 years Giangreco also co-hosted ABC 7’s top-rated New Year’s Eve countdown show with Janet Davies. Tuning in for their good-natured banter and awkward smooch at midnight became an annual ritual for thousands and a social media touchstone. Last month Davies announced that her contract was not renewed after 37 years at ABC 7.

Wearing irreverence and sarcasm as comfortably as his tailored suits, Giangreco was known for comments that sometimes went too far. A succession of bosses understood that a big part of Giangreco’s popularity was his impertinent attitude and occasionally sharp tongue. If he sometimes crossed the line, they figured, it was an acceptable risk.

Until January 28.

A recording of the 10 p.m. newscast that night showed Giangreco wrapping up a story about Canadian hockey star Spencer Jenkin painting his house while on roller skates and saying: “Gotta get him a show on DIY Network. We’ll call it ‘House Fix with Sticks,’ and Cheryl can play the ditzy, combative interior decorator. I got it all worked out.”

Colleagues said Burton had felt disrespected by Giangreco for years and took his “ditzy, combative” joke as another personal slight. Whether intended or not, directing those words at her evoked sexist and racist stereotypes about Black women, they said.

Burton, 58, who joined ABC 7 in 1992 and anchors the station’s 5 and 10 p.m. newscasts, did not respond to a request for comment.

Last week Burton tweeted: “#ThankfulThursday. Grateful for the #Blessings already on the way and for those unseen #Faith. God is so Good!!! #ThankYou,” and followed that with: “#HappyBirthday Chicago — 184 years celebrating the most beautiful city in the world, where I was born and raised and where my dreams came true! I love you Chicago #Grateful.”

The breakup does not affect Giangreco’s ongoing role as a contributor to Tom Waddle and Marc Silverman’s afternoon show on Good Karma Brands ESPN sports/talk WMVP 1000-AM. Now that he’s a free agent, Giangreco may look to expand his radio activities or pursue other platforms.

He’s still slated for induction later this year in the Silver Circle of Chicago TV Academy, an industry honor normally attended by the recipients’ employers and co-workers. In 2013 Giangreco won the prestigious Ring Lardner Award for Excellence in Sports Journalism.

Odds-on favorite to replace Giangreco on the 10 p.m. newscast is Jim Rose, 67, who’s been a sports anchor at ABC 7 since 1982. Rose signed a three-year contract renewal in September. Coincidentally, Rose and Burton were married from 1986 to 1995.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:58 pm 

Jim fucking Rose? Do they just recycle everyone around there? why don't get get some new young face to do it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
If this was about sexism or racism, it would have been announced at 9am on a Monday. Instead, it's buried at 6pm Friday.

That's all you need to know that this was a total money dump. And they are worried that suburban white 49-64 viewers will stop watching.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:28 pm 

Giangreco officially canceled.

This wasn't a money dump. Yes, it's a convenient outcome for the company, but this was something probly bubbling for a long time and basically Burton and Rose tag-teamed him outta there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:31 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think Giangreco banged Burton.

Then the relationship went bad. Then she looked for the first chance to get him fired.

She won.

Do you think 2 or 5 will hire him? I doubt it. Not in this culture. Plus nobody watches local news as much anyway. So you don't need a big name to do the stupid sports.

I was kind of shocked to read that he can still be on ESPN 1000. That's Disney just like channel 7.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:34 pm 

At least he will still continue operating on fuckin' Waddle & Silvy.

Hopefully we havent seen the last of him.

Wasn't a huge fan of his, but he was a familiar face for 40 years and it's sad it ends this way.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

whistler wrote:
At least he will still continue operating on fuckin' Waddle & Silvy.

Hopefully we havent seen the last of him.

Wasn't a huge fan of his, but he was a familiar face for 40 years and it's sad it ends this way.

Christ, I've seen him on TV since I was a little kid.

But he's fine either way. He has to have at least 15 million in the bank. So nobody should cry for him. He is 68 anyway. So he was probably gonna retire soon anyway.

He just has to go out the same way Mac went out. Lessons are learned by media people. You can't crack wise on women in this day and age. Luckily for Bernstein and Spiegel they made their mistake before it was cancel culture. Now those boys are in line.

Last edited by Beardown on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Beardown wrote:
I was kind of shocked to read that he can still be on ESPN 1000. That's Disney just like channel 7.

Disney leased 1000 out to Karmazin, they don't have any say in operations anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:44 pm 
1000 CLUB

Curious Hair wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Disney leased 1000 out to Karmazin, they don't have any say in operations anymore.

Oh yeah. I forgot that happened.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:11 pm 

i dont buy there was a conspiracy between rose and burton to screw giangreco. why would a ex wife/husband get together again.

this is all on giangreco's stupid mouth.

also, i wouldnt be surprised if giangreco was the matt lauer before matt lauer . he already made sexist remarks to Joan Espisito who she herself posted. So he probably banged almost all the anchorwomen wherever he worked.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Today's Rob Feder:

Friday’s comment of the day: Janet Davies: Mark Giangreco is one of the most talented people with whom I have worked. Quick-witted, highly intelligent, humorous and professional. He has always kept me on my toes to keep up with him. In person, Mark is beyond kind – supporting his friends and colleagues in so many ways the public does not see. Having had him beside me on parades, auto shows, golf shows and most importantly New Year’s Eve has been a treasured part of my career. Mark is an imp, a pro, a creative creature who will always nudge the envelope just a bit. In these days of encroaching blandness . . . he is not cookie-cutter!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next