It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spiegel in 2026
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I caught part of the Parkins/Spiegel show where Spiegs was lamenting the fact that they ever broke up the legendary Spiegel/Parkins show, how he and others got fired and how Parkins got stuck with a Dinosaur. It got me to thinking about how Goff bought the Range Rover and was feeling so cocky about himself before The Fall*.

To me, he is in the same category as Goff. He's easily replaceable. He's not very likeable and other than baseball, offers very little except generic sports talk. He certainly doesn't have the lifetime gig that he might think that he does.

Plus, shitting on Mac as a dinosaur isn't funny and doesn't across cool or edgy. Kicking someone when they're down isn't a challenge. That stuff almost always comes back to bite you.

So, where is Spiegel in 5 years?

1. Hosting the Spiegel and Goff drivetime show on The Score....having rid himself of that weak, cuttlefish Danny Parkins?

2. On wife number 5?

3. Hosting a weekend baseball show after being demoted yet again?

4. Still carrying Parkins dead ass from 2-6 and telling everyone about it?

5. Hosting Morning Drive as the 'Face of the Score'?

Post subject: Re: Spiegel in 2026
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Dead from heart disease or diabetes.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
312player wrote:
Dead from heart disease or diabetes.

Sadly that same thought crossed my mind.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Spiegel in 2026 :

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:44 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
August Schell wrote:
I caught part of the Parkins/Spiegel show where Spiegs was lamenting the fact that they ever broke up the legendary Spiegel/Parkins show, how he and others got fired and how Parkins got stuck with a Dinosaur.

Spiegel talking a big game about Mac considering being Mac's sidekick is what got him back into Chicago radio. They weren't gonna fire Murph just to bring Matt Spiegel in.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I don't think the Score will be an all sports terrestrial radio entity in 2026. As stupid as the Audacy name is, it is indicative of the way the industry is going - shows that are not tied to a radio, especially not a car radio. Sirius is moving in that direction rapidly, emphasizing their app and adding dozens of podcasts and specialty "channels."

So Spiegel will be underemployed by then, although it's tough to say that it will be "his fault." If he is smart, he will latch on to a baseball-centric platform and do a mix of national stuff a couple of nights a week like Memolo does for XM89, and some Cubs-specific interviews and (with an ex-player) analysis.

Now do I think he is smart enough to make that transition? Probably not.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Like Chet, I have my doubts that the Score will exist as a Chicago sports talk station in 2026.

That said, I have been listening to the Parkins & Spiegel show lately and find it pretty entertaining. The show has successfully captured a lot of what made MJH so successful (enthusiastic hosts, lighthearted ball-busting, a general recognition that sports are supposed to be fun, etc) and far outpaces anything else on the Score.

Consequently, I don't see why it can't continue as an Audacy podcast or a Bar Stool show.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:17 pm 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
August Schell wrote:
I caught part of the Parkins/Spiegel show where Spiegs was lamenting the fact that they ever broke up the legendary Spiegel/Parkins show, how he and others got fired and how Parkins got stuck with a Dinosaur. It got me to thinking about how Goff bought the Range Rover and was feeling so cocky about himself before The Fall*.

To me, he is in the same category as Goff. He's easily replaceable. He's not very likeable and other than baseball, offers very little except generic sports talk. He certainly doesn't have the lifetime gig that he might think that he does.

Plus, shitting on Mac as a dinosaur isn't funny and doesn't across cool or edgy. Kicking someone when they're down isn't a challenge. That stuff almost always comes back to bite you.

1. Hosting the Spiegel and Goff drivetime show on The Score....having rid himself of that weak, cuttlefish Danny Parkins?

2. On wife number 5?

Just say you hate him and keep it a moving.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Personally not a fan.

Now off I go...

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 7:59 am 

I don't think he's as young as you guys think he is and he has shown that he has a mediocre work ethic. Wasn't he an original producer of HFC?

My guess is that by the summer of next year, Matt once again believes that his principle job is as a lead singer and this sports talk is just his side gig.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:09 am 

I think Matt has some talent and I am an original member of the Speigal ALS. However, he'd be living in his parents basement posting on the new jersey sports fans website were it not for Mc Neil. Dan took pride in nurturing the careers of his subordinates which lead to an on air role at sporting news radio. Mac picked him up again when he was on the balls of his ass, divorced and unemployed, to be a co host on a drive time show in the #3 market in the country. Nobody else but Dan was looking to hire him in this city.

His road with Dan was not always smooth, but before he points the finger at Dan for all of it, he should see that he would take time off on an almost weekly basis because his throat hurt after a singing gig. There were also pretty strong indications that he had his own problems with substance abuse.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Hosting "Get to know your Cubs" on Marquee where he asks fawning lifestyle questions of Cub players which will create content for the network to air between the infomercials.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:38 am 

pizza_Place: What??
He's personable and knowledgeable. He ain't my buddy. He's on my radio.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
I've always liked Spiegel. He seems much more personable, but I've never understood why he has never really stuck in any spot the Score has put him.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Nardi wrote:
He's personable and knowledgeable. He ain't my buddy. He's on my radio.

This

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
He was great when he's teamed up like a vet like Levine who keeps him in check. But w/ others that he may not have the same amount of respect for he's all over the place. I still like listening to him if he's talking baseball but only in doses.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:48 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Spiegal will be 400 lbs and on his 4th wife by 2026, forget about that fat turd.

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's
Isn't he already at (or near) the 400 pound territory?

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 4:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
I thought he recently lost weight? Also, god can only hope Parkins is long gone by then. Such an embarrassment for my generation and younger.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 9:52 pm 
1000 CLUB

August Schell wrote:

2. On wife number 5?

I don't mind Spiegel. He's better than he once was.

But I kind of agree with you. Spiegel acts like he's young. Christ, he's in his early 50s. Mac was in his early 60s. Yeah, a difference. But I don't think just being 10 years older makes you a dinosaur compared to Spiegel. Although Spiegel acts younger than he is. I'll say that. Part of that is not having kids until a late age and bouncing around with 3 marriages. He still has that hippy music thing going. Pot smoker, peace and love type of guy. Although a lot of that is a phony image that he wants to portray. But if you ever saw Spiegel walk, you'd think he was in his 70s.

Mully has to be pushing his 60s. Is Spiegel gonna say the same thing about his teammate?

Not to mention, Mac is the one that brought Spiegel back here a decade or so ago. He should be more grateful to him. Who knows where Spiegel would be without that gesture.