It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bruce Levine
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:18 am 

What is the board's general opinion of Bruce Levine? IMO he is such a tough listen and classic ass kisser with a severe charisma shortage. His viewpoints are outdated, the reason many baseball people like him is because he slobbers all over them and his voice is sleep inducing .I never thought I would root for David Haugh but he challenged Bruce on the LaRussa issue and Levine seemed put out that he would be questioned.Heres a fictional example of how Levine addresses a controversial play with a member of the Sox or Cubs:
"What do you make of the controversy surrounding you running through the third base coach's stop sign to cost a run even though you're one of the premiere baserunners in the league who treats his mother so well and takes in strays and has such heart and desire?"

Post subject: Re: Bruce Levine
PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:12 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
I think for a guy who's been around baseball for decades, he sure doesn't know much about the game.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
When I peruse the 2 local stations podcasts I'll usually checkout what he's got to say. He's better as a guest addition with hosts, then the hosts stale talk amoung themselves. Same with Jesse Rogers.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:48 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I've grown to like him in say the last 2/3 years w/ the saturday baseball show on the score. now with everyone going SJW and Woke in sports radio and on the score, he's the only guy I can rely on on the station that actually will talk baseball.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:02 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Bruceeeeeeeeee. The only time I listen to this stations is for the interviews with Bruce, Hub, Biggs and a few other experts.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Absolutely useless, not just a dumb shill for the guppy( cubs were never interested in any of three times he pushed it hard) I thought every time he was let go- canned from 1000 or the Score and swapped teams was a huge advantage for station that dumped him.. Addition by subtraction.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
312player wrote:
Absolutely useless, not just a dumb shill for the guppy( cubs were never interested in any of three times he pushed it hard) I thought every time he was let go- canned from 1000 or the Score and swapped teams was a huge advantage for station that dumped him.. Addition by subtraction.

The only thing any of those guys add is a focus on a specific sport. That is in itself worthy but their actual expertise is marginal. I actually prefer the national guys - not because they have better insight - but because it’s less predictable and less biased.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:01 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
312player wrote:

The only thing any of those guys add is a focus on a specific sport. That is in itself worthy but their actual expertise is marginal. I actually prefer the national guys - not because they have better insight - but because it’s less predictable and less biased.

Agreed, the local guys are too busy deepthroating while the national guys are like us, objective baseball fans who know very well what we are watching.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
I think he abrasive and one of the more argumentative reporters. I am not a fan but I won't push the button just because he is on.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:36 am 

pizza_Place: DATYYy
I like Bruce.

He’s by no means exceptional or truly noteworthy but that’s fine. Nearly all my consumption of 670 is now done thru cherry picking the podcasts. Even that is scaled way back. Of the Cubs are playing well and I see he has a hit on one of the shows I’ll check it out.

Haugh has ruined inside the clubhouse. He has this really annoying tendency to try to “speak for” fan bases, especially as it concerns the Cubs and ownership. It’s so odd he thinks that is his role.

Bruce is fine. Jesse is a better listen though.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 8:30 am 

It's remarkable that a guy with a speech impediment would have lasted this long in an industry reliant on the spoken word.

Bruce is ok at providing some information. You will never receive an honest analysis of that information. He is particularly non objective when reporting on the Cubs and MISTER Reindsdorf.

He is the baseball version of Hub; despised as a brown noser by the Score and its hosts until he joined the station. Professor Flakey transitioned to SCORE BASEBALL INSIDER BRUCE LEVINE!

He isn't horrible as long as you understand the biases through which the information is being filtered.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:27 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Crick Ramp wrote:
I like Bruce.

He’s by no means exceptional or truly noteworthy but that’s fine. Nearly all my consumption of 670 is now done thru cherry picking the podcasts. Even that is scaled way back. Of the Cubs are playing well and I see he has a hit on one of the shows I’ll check it out.

Haugh has ruined inside the clubhouse. He has this really annoying tendency to try to “speak for” fan bases, especially as it concerns the Cubs and ownership. It’s so odd he thinks that is his role.

Bruce is fine. Jesse is a better listen though.

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:34 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
good dolphin wrote:

Bruce is ok at providing some information. You will never receive an honest analysis of that information. He is particularly non objective when reporting on the Cubs and MISTER Reindsdorf.

He is the baseball version of Hub; despised as a brown noser by the Score and its hosts until he joined the station.

You just blew my mind. It had never occurred to me before that Bruce and Hub are sports talk radio doppelgangers, but your assessment is 100% correct. When Hub looks into a mirror, he may very well see Bruce Levine's bewildered countenance gazing back at him.

Last edited by Tall Midget on Mon May 24, 2021 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:35 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: :lol: Jesse is not better at anything.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:51 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
:lol: :lol: Jesse is not better at anything.

He definitely has his short comings but he’s a solid beat guy imo.

Who is the best guy to follow for Cubs news and nuggets these days? Sullivan? Gdub? That Maddie Lee chick? Jesse is solid

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:54 am 

Let's talk baseball

Levine- He's another voice. The Score hosts desperately need guests. He's got some pretty good old stories. He's becoming more Cubs honest which is good. I like Haugh and him together Saturday mornings. When he used to do the read for the Jewish deli commercial was outstanding. Funny story he told about taking his current wife, ex-wife, and daughter to a holiday meal was really funny.

Jesse Rogers- Had a good rapport with Murph. He's kind of a Levine clone. Was too close with crazy Joe, co-authoring his book. Ruined his perspective. Good on updates and breaking team news. Tells some good stories.

Spiegel- Best on the weekends. Good guest interviewer. Seems like during the week Parkins and he have a contest who could use the biggest words, and who's the sharpest. His dad's trivia is a must listen.

Steve Stone- The ultimate baseball guest. Knows the game inside and out. Has knowledge somebody who's never played the game doesn't have an inkling of. Anybody who goes after Dusty Baker is okay in my book.

Rick Sutcliffe- Doesn't have a filter on his mouth a lot of times makes him a must listen.

Cody Decker- Seems to be trying too hard. Lost any respect I had for him when he called Tony Larussa psychotic. Someone to avoid.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:43 pm 

What interesting opinions you guys offered on this subject. Very entertaining. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 1:32 pm 
Site Admin

Crick Ramp wrote:

Who is the best guy to follow for Cubs news and nuggets these days? Sullivan? Gdub? That Maddie Lee chick? Jesse is solid

Which just so happens to be his job.

Maybe the best beat person currently. He works hard, and provides timely and solid info to listeners.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:10 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:

Maybe the best beat person currently. He works hard, and provides timely and solid info to listeners.

Plenty of people do their jobs poorly however

He isn’t one of them is my main point

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Crick Ramp wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Crick Ramp wrote:

Plenty of people do their jobs poorly however

He isn’t one of them is my main point

Agreed. he's solid, like you said.

People who go around criticizing others as a regular course of business, are not likely to be a fan of Jesse. He works hard and provides solid reporting without any of the negativity and bitterness.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:46 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
This will always be Bruce Levine's greatest journalistic contribution

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 3:01 pm 

Caller Bob wrote:
This will always be Bruce Levine's greatest journalistic contribution

I really thought he was gonna get axed for that.

Glad he didn’t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
walking a fine line today about rizzo -

bad season, BUT, bad back he's been dealing with all his career - still the best fielding 1B. reluctant criticism/excuse/praise. classic levine.

the guy punches below his weight - most other 1B have better numbers.

the annoying choke up on his bat. sacrificing power numbers for the better of the team. ok, don't hit 35 HRs, but hit .303. he can't hit 30 HRs and .260 would be party time. get rid of him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:43 am 

The Score/Marquee give Rizzo a pass with his horrendous base running.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:21 pm 

i agree. the issue isn't the overall poor play, it's turned into contreras clique vs. rizzo clique - who will win out?

the whole choking up on the bat with 2 strikes. c'mon. ok, if you're going to sacrifice power for bat control than i expect a trade-off of losing extra base hits for a higher average. it's got to be very difficult with 2 strikes already on you.

his shelf-life as a top 1B and as trade bait both expired. he may have a hot patch here and there, but i believe the league has caught on.

bruce's way of criticizing him was to make an excuse (back) for the criticism and then compliment another part of his game (fielding) to make up for the criticism.

it's like listening to mr. rodgers talk about the kingdom of make-believe baseball team.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:43 pm 

Rizzo's only going to be 32 in a couple days. The Cubs not only have a history of poor talent evaluation, but of giving up on guys too early. It's a suckers play to judge a good player strictly during a bad stretch.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:58 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
walking a fine line today about rizzo -

bad season, BUT, bad back he's been dealing with all his career - still the best fielding 1B. reluctant criticism/excuse/praise. classic levine.

the guy punches below his weight - most other 1B have better numbers.

the annoying choke up on his bat. sacrificing power numbers for the better of the team. ok, don't hit 35 HRs, but hit .303. he can't hit 30 HRs and .260 would be party time. get rid of him.

Bruce said he had a bad back this season. Didt say it was his career as a Cub.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:09 pm 

i'm pretty sure that bruce said that rizzo has been dealing with a bad back for all of rizzo's career.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
orioleboy wrote:
What is the board's general opinion of Bruce Levine? IMO he is such a tough listen and classic ass kisser with a severe charisma shortage. His viewpoints are outdated, the reason many baseball people like him is because he slobbers all over them and his voice is sleep inducing .I never thought I would root for David Haugh but he challenged Bruce on the LaRussa issue and Levine seemed put out that he would be questioned.Heres a fictional example of how Levine addresses a controversial play with a member of the Sox or Cubs:
"What do you make of the controversy surrounding you running through the third base coach's stop sign to cost a run even though you're one of the premiere baserunners in the league who treats his mother so well and takes in strays and has such heart and desire?"

never had much opinion o' this guy but lately I've listened to him and i absolutely hate his guts.

Of course, main reason is he's the one that got Arietta released. Fuck him. He couldnt take a joke. He couldnt take his mask off when he was remote and instead chose to look like a dufus. Baiting Arietta into his funny but accurate comment.

And to now think he is analzying Cubs games on radio?

Fuck him. One of these disgusting old men that is liberal, and he has that midget Gordon defending him and trashing Arietta and acting all woke.

FUCK BRUCE LEVINE.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Passero's
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

bruce's way of criticizing him was to make an excuse (back) for the criticism and then compliment another part of his game (fielding) to make up for the criticism.

it's like listening to mr. rodgers talk about the kingdom of make-believe baseball team.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: