It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
K Effective wrote:
JORRadio (Manning-like running commentary on Live Sox games or Punk in Drublic music talk)

He'd get canceled when he got to white trash two heebs and a bean.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Some of the posters have some amazing memories to remember old-time Score stuff.

Does anyone remember a certain type of music Terry loved? He mentioned it only a couple times. I remember because I like it also once in awhile.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Caught a few mins today of Speigs trying to talk football, same Bernstein, Parkins, and Holmes crap where they try to act like they understand the game, same goes for baseball. Enjoyed Mac because he actually knew a little about line play and could see the Bears oline guys were fundamentally terrible, didn't really mesh with Parkins lack of depth on the subject. The current lineup really does not tell you anything you don't know and there are really no original thoughts on sports, or anything for that matter.

You get much better content from podcasts, which are basically one or two people rambling on about a subject, sports talk radio cannot simply try to mimic that format because the hosts have to be a little more generalized to fill out airtime. It would seem that sports talks uniqueness would indeed be the involvement of different voices/opinions via callers, and the give and take between callers/hosts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:58 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
vitoscotti wrote:
Does anyone remember a certain type of music Terry loved? He mentioned it only a couple times. I remember because I like it also once in awhile.

Western swing? I can see Terry enjoying the occasional Dan Hicks And His Hot Licks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:44 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Clawmaster wrote:
Caught a few mins today of Speigs trying to talk football, same Bernstein, Parkins, and Holmes crap where they try to act like they understand the game, same goes for baseball. Enjoyed Mac because he actually knew a little about line play and could see the Bears oline guys were fundamentally terrible, didn't really mesh with Parkins lack of depth on the subject. The current lineup really does not tell you anything you don't know and there are really no original thoughts on sports, or anything for that matter.

You get much better content from podcasts, which are basically one or two people rambling on about a subject, sports talk radio cannot simply try to mimic that format because the hosts have to be a little more generalized to fill out airtime. It would seem that sports talks uniqueness would indeed be the involvement of different voices/opinions via callers, and the give and take between callers/hosts.

Aren't you the same guy that longs for the old days of the Score with a caller-driven show? I don't think Joe from Antioch is going to provide a lot of insight about line play.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Aren't you the same guy that longs for the old days of the Score with a caller-driven show? I don't think Joe from Antioch is going to provide a lot of insight about line play.[/quote

Joe from Antioch likely knows more about line play than Parkins, and would inject much needed energy into a slow paced show. Sorry you missed the earlier days when the hosts and producers were talented enough to incorporate callers, many of the long time callers were fixtures on the shows. The hosts were not afraid to let people challenge their opinions, but sadly there will likely never be another, "Neil from Northlake", call ever again on the station.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
DAC wrote:
Parkins and Spiegel is the best sports show in Chicago so no change there. Pair up Bernstein and Rozner. That was a great pairing when Boers was out. Rozner keeps Bernstein in check which is vital to any partner he has. Two shows is enough to keep me happy. I already don't listen to the morning show and Holmes so I wouldn't care about the rest of the lineup.

Great point on Rozner keeping him in check. Boers would totally humiliate Bernstein when he acted like an Asshat and if your going to keep Bernstein someone like that is needed.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:55 am 

Clawmaster wrote:
DAC wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Aren't you the same guy that longs for the old days of the Score with a caller-driven show? I don't think Joe from Antioch is going to provide a lot of insight about line play.[/quote

Joe from Antioch likely knows more about line play than Parkins, and would inject much needed energy into a slow paced show. Sorry you missed the earlier days when the hosts and producers were talented enough to incorporate callers, many of the long time callers were fixtures on the shows. The hosts were not afraid to let people challenge their opinions, but sadly there will likely never be another, "Neil from Northlake", call ever again on the station.

I didn't miss the early days albeit I didn't listen as much due to being in school and a lack of podcasts. I definitely didn't enjoy it as much as I do today's shows. And how many callers add energy? Many are dopes and waiting to get 1 out of 10 good callers is not worth the time.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
The old-time Score hosts were excellent with big breaking sports news. The place to go. Not now. Parkins & Spiegel, Larry, new Bernstein would be the last place I'd go. Unless, I saw they had a guest on podcast pertaining to the breaking news where the hosts opinion would be minimalized, and shot down. The current Score could be a vile place to take a chance and turn on randomly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:10 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Back in the days of caller-driven shows it wasn't the quality of the callers or the quality of whatever meatball-ish point they were trying to make that mattered. It was the hosts ability to take what the caller was saying, process it, and have an entertaining give-and-take with the caller that mattered. The callers didn't get worse over time (they often had head-scratching takes from day 1), the hosts ability or willingness to work with callers is what got worse. The hosts turned on the callers, eventually refused to take them because it was hard work having to interact and heaven forbid be challenged, and we entered the age of the sports radio monologue, which is much easier, lazier radio, or what they refer to as "Smart Radio" where they lecture the listeners on the topics of the day.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
man of few opinions wrote:
Back in the days of caller-driven shows it wasn't the quality of the callers or the quality of whatever meatball-ish point they were trying to make that mattered. It was the hosts ability to take what the caller was saying, process it, and have an entertaining give-and-take with the caller that mattered. The callers didn't get worse over time (they often had head-scratching takes from day 1), the hosts ability or willingness to work with callers is what got worse. The hosts turned on the callers, eventually refused to take them because it was hard work having to interact and heaven forbid be challenged, and we entered the age of the sports radio monologue, which is much easier, lazier radio, or what they refer to as "Smart Radio" where they lecture the listeners on the topics of the day.

Concur. The best B&B segments were when they would take bad calls and mock them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 5:51 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:

What shows are sports monologues? Even the most successful single host shows of the last decade, Patrick and Lebatard, had multiple producers chiming in. A better description of today's show is two hosts having a sports conversation with input from producers with sprinkled in interviews. I don't disagree about how you described the back-in-the-day, caller-driven shows but I personally don't care for that style. Don't you think these radio stations have researched what their listeners prefer? Obviously, there are vocal members here who prefer the 90s style Score but if the majority of listeners felt that way wouldn't sports radio stations cater to that preference?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
DAC wrote:
Don't you think these radio stations have researched what their listeners prefer? Obviously, there are vocal members here who prefer the 90s style Score but if the majority of listeners felt that way wouldn't sports radio stations cater to that preference?
This is 100% correct.