It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Give me the station lineup, the score experts, pre game post game guys, etc.. Only rule is no current 670 employees. Go.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Shaer and Memolo
North and Jiggetts
McNeil and Boers
Murph evenings
Ofman and Shuster updates
Tommy Williams weekends
Experts John Dewan, Lester Munson

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Clean house of all SJW. Keep hosts political views to themselves. More hosts with an actual sports background listeners can relate to. Have a more diverse group of on-air talent (56% Jewish now). Have a show hosted by all females. Talk about data, but don't worship it as a god. Bring in guests who aren't Cubs shills, like is done with Bears guests. Bring old-time Score hosts back as guest hosts or guests. No gambling bs. Audacy has a channel for the addicts. More Chicago players from the past as an occasional guest. Les has to go. I've got quite a few of his screw-ups recorded to hold me over. Bring an overnight host in who's not a clown. No endless monologues by hosts. Keep the shows livelier. More weekly bits. Have a big party for the SJW on their way out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:25 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Mully and Silvy

North and Bernstein

Goff and Hood.

I'd listen all day. The politics doesn't bother me as long as the point is made and then they move on.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:40 pm 

vitoscotti wrote:
Clean house of all SJW. Keep hosts political views to themselves. [size=150]More hosts with an actual sports background listeners can relate to[/size]. Have a more diverse group of on-air talent (56% Jewish now). Have a show hosted by all females. Talk about data, but don't worship it as a god. Bring in guests who aren't Cubs shills, like is done with Bears guests. Bring old-time Score hosts back as guest hosts or guests. No gambling bs. Audacy has a channel for the addicts. More Chicago players from the past as an occasional guest. Les has to go. I've got quite a few of his screw-ups recorded to hold me over. Bring an overnight host in who's not a clown. No endless monologues by hosts. Keep the shows livelier. More weekly bits. Have a big party for the SJW on their way out.

They messed up bringing back Spiegs. Had a great chance to bring in a sports guy when MAC left.

North was a great hire because he related to the regular fan. Parkin's doesn't even want to take calls and is 100% not relatable with normal sports fans.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juiced wrote:
North was a great hire because he related to the regular fan. Parkin's doesn't even want to take calls and is 100% not relatable with normal sports fans.

North didn't take calls at the end either.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Nardi wrote:
Mully and Silvy

North and Bernstein

Goff and Hood.

I'd listen all day. The politics doesn't bother me as long as the point is made and then they move on.

North and Bernstein would be hysterical. If they were looking to get rid of Bernstein, but didn't want to fire him, that would be a great way to do it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Terrestrial radio is dead and the people I would bring in for this scenario would never leave their current outlet for radio where they are under the auspices of the FCC and a culture that can cancel them.

with that out of the way, I'd bring in Dan Katz to lead the main show. Put anyone with him and it will be the most popular local or even national sports show in any market in the country. Then pair off Dave Williams and Mike "Carl" Sterk for a good midday show, which would be baseball heavy. Maybe the show could be given a name like "Red Line Radio." Another pairing could be Eddie Farrer and Ryan Brandell for a show. Perhaps we can call that "The DogWalk." Or put all 4 of them together for an entire hour transition between their shows because they all need to riff off each other.

Of course the 5 people mentioned above already have their dream job and none of them would ever leave for a dying horse like WSCR. They have complete freedom and an environment that 670 hosts would kill for. If only there was some media entity that had these Chicago talents under 1 roof.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:22 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Parkins and Spiegel is the best sports show in Chicago so no change there. Pair up Bernstein and Rozner. That was a great pairing when Boers was out. Rozner keeps Bernstein in check which is vital to any partner he has. Two shows is enough to keep me happy. I already don't listen to the morning show and Holmes so I wouldn't care about the rest of the lineup.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:26 pm 

DAC wrote:
Parkins and Spiegel is the best sports show in Chicago so no change there. Pair up Bernstein and Rozner. That was a great pairing when Boers was out. Rozner keeps Bernstein in check which is vital to any partner he has. Two shows is enough to keep me happy. I already don't listen to the morning show and Holmes so I wouldn't care about the rest of the lineup.

Although I really don't listen that much anymore, I tend to agree with this.

Oh, and get rid of the Cubbies.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Sarah Kustok, Kyle Long and Mark Grote (morning drive)
Jonathan Hood and Ryan Dempster (mid-days)
Adam Amin, Jay Cutler and Alex Brown (afternoon drive)
Colt Cabana (nights)
Megan Malwicke (Cubs pre and post)
Ramblin’ Ray Stevens (overnights)

Grote is needed for energy in the mornings, even though he’s currently a Score employee.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
There is no rebuilding the Score. The way people consume sports has changed over the past 29 years. No reconfiguration of on air talent is going to change that

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:06 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Juiced wrote:

North didn't take calls at the end either.

And his career went down the toilet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Mike/Mike
Kornheiser
Dan Patrick
Rich Eisen
Mac and Silvy
JORRadio (Manning-like running commentary on Live Sox games or Punk in Drublic music talk)
Dr. Ken Overnight from Witness Protection hostels

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Parkins & Spiegel are at their best talking about light fun subjects like what they did on their weekends. Tolerable also with good guests. They're at their worst when it's them together only, talking about sports. It's like 2 guys who never worked construction a day in their lives, talking about building houses.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Mornings - Mac, Jurko, and Spiegel

Middays - Bernstein and Rongey

Afternoons- Big Cat, Silvy, and Cutler

Overnights - Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:25 am 

pizza_Place: Passero's
"If you had to do a complete rebuild of the Score"

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nice!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:36 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
There is no rebuilding the Score. The way people consume sports has changed over the past 29 years. No reconfiguration of on air talent is going to change that

sadly, I agree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:34 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Mornings - Mac, Jurko, and Spiegel

Middays - Bernstein and Rongey

Afternoons- Big Cat, Silvy, and Cutler

Overnights - Les

Cutler was making of Big Cat on Portnoy's show last week for the time Big Cat said he would've rather had Dalton than Cutler :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:22 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
vitoscotti wrote:
Parkins & Spiegel are at their best talking about light fun subjects like what they did on their weekends. Tolerable also with good guests. They're at their worst when it's them together only, talking about sports. It's like 2 guys who never worked construction a day in their lives, talking about building houses.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the guys manning one of the prime time slots on your station.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:49 am 

good dolphin wrote:
The Missing Link wrote:

sadly, I agree

I listened from the very first day they were on the air as a teenager. It used to be a big deal for me when they'd add that extra 30 minutes per month back then. Now I can't listen for more than 10 minutes if that. Can't remember the last time I actually listened to be honest.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:54 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I listened for about 40 minutes yesterday driving between O'Hare and my father's place. S&P had a good conversation about callers. Danny was against them because anybody willing to sit on hold for half an hour and not just text or message through twitch was likely to have a useless thought. Matt was far more caller-friendly and mentioned that he still takes Stan from Bellwood's calls every Sunday. Matt did bring up that it takes a strong producer to filter out calls, and so Danny did give Shane permission to only let callers through who impressed him.

Callers or no callers has been a recurring discussion here with people making good points on both sides. But the discussion really focused the point: great callers add to the shows, everybody else should just comment on twitch.

The reason I'm posting this listening experience in this thread is that formats such as twitch and its inevitable successors are the future. AM/FM/SiriusXM are for people who live in rural areas with lousy broadband, less and less people who commute regularly, and tradesmen, salesmen, delivery guys, etc who drive for a living. The people who could listen at their desk or workshop and might be an interesting caller, they can just stream twitch now and pop their thought into the fracas. So the remaining callers are just the dumbasses like the guys Vito somehow listens to overnight.

This is a wild change from say 1978, where you pretty much had to spend a dime to call SportsPhone to even get a basic Bulls score.

So the question for a 670 rebuild is: is it more profitable to aim for the tradesmen and delivery guys, or is it more profitable to aim for the twitch and podcast crowd and just simulcast to the drivers?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:22 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I listened for about 40 minutes yesterday driving between O'Hare and my father's place. S&P had a good conversation about callers. Danny was against them because anybody willing to sit on hold for half an hour and not just text or message through twitch was likely to have a useless thought. Matt was far more caller-friendly and mentioned that he still takes Stan from Bellwood's calls every Sunday. Matt did bring up that it takes a strong producer to filter out calls, and so Danny did give Shane permission to only let callers through who impressed him.

Callers or no callers has been a recurring discussion here with people making good points on both sides. But the discussion really focused the point: great callers add to the shows, everybody else should just comment on twitch.

The reason I'm posting this listening experience in this thread is that formats such as twitch and its inevitable successors are the future. AM/FM/SiriusXM are for people who live in rural areas with lousy broadband, less and less people who commute regularly, and tradesmen, salesmen, delivery guys, etc who drive for a living. The people who could listen at their desk or workshop and might be an interesting caller, they can just stream twitch now and pop their thought into the fracas. So the remaining callers are just the dumbasses like the guys Vito somehow listens to overnight.

This is a wild change from say 1978, where you pretty much had to spend a dime to call SportsPhone to even get a basic Bulls score.

So the question for a 670 rebuild is: is it more profitable to aim for the tradesmen and delivery guys, or is it more profitable to aim for the twitch and podcast crowd and just simulcast to the drivers?

I'm probably more pro Caller than not. However my favorite show was COS and Chet never took calls. Ironically when the Score was first created that was one of things that they mostly baited him about.
Overall I think callers can add to the quality of a show. What I don't care for is when the hosts go out of their way to exploit idiotic callers. As B&B often did.
They'd purposely seek out those guys just so that Dan could berate them. It always seem inauthentic and rather contrived.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:28 am 

As an aside I also think that they need more of a national flavor to what they do. There is nothing wrong with programming one show that is nationally based. Nothing worse than hearing host after host talk Bears QB controversy, Pace, Nagy show after show.

That is the same show that they have been running for the last 25 years now. Regardless of who the GM, QB, or Coach happens to be.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
I listened for about 40 minutes yesterday driving between O'Hare and my father's place. S&P had a good conversation about callers. Danny was against them because anybody willing to sit on hold for half an hour and not just text or message through twitch was likely to have a useless thought.

It seems as though that regardless of the platform -- Facebook, Twitter, and now even talk radio -- having an legitimate conversation is no longer welcome and in many cases is actively discouraged. "Hot takes", or at least making a comment and leaving it at that, is the preferred method of...well, I don't think I can call it discussion. I don't know what it is. A thought toilet?

It also allows a host like Parkins to never have to directly deal with someone who makes a point contrary to his own. If someone texts or posts an opinion that is different than his he can frame it and discredit it as he desires without having to worry about a counterpoint being made.

I was going to say I suppose this is the future, but in regards to social media it has been this way for many years and as people who grew up with social become hosts that will likely be reflected in the style of their shows. I guess that's part of the reason I don't listen nearly as much as I used to.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:37 pm 

A guy watching people talk on the radio is somehow higher up the hierarchy than a person who calls? That logic is lost on me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:00 pm 

Link, Chet did take a limited amount of callers but rarely open lines. Chet took a few callers with questions for some of his guests. I remember Jeff Torborg being one of them when he was managing the White Sox while waiting for Frank Thomas to come up.

When was the last time 670 let people call and ask Boomer Essiason a question?

good dolphin wrote:
A guy watching people talk on the radio is somehow higher up the hierarchy than a person who calls? That logic is lost on me.

That's because you still consider it radio. Radio is just one delivery mechanism. Podcasts are another. Having the show open in a window using twitch and being able to comment is a third.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:09 pm 

Link, Chet did take a limited amount of callers but rarely open lines. Chet took a few callers with questions for some of his guests. I remember Jeff Torborg being one of them when he was managing the White Sox while waiting for Frank Thomas to come up.

good dolphin wrote:

That's because you still consider it radio. Radio is just one delivery mechanism. Podcasts are another. Having the show open in a window using twitch and being able to comment is a third.

but watching people talk for half an hour is no greater intellectual pursuit than waiting to comment on the telephone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:39 pm 

good dolphin wrote:

Gotta disagree. More often than not Chet would rerun the interview he did with Bert "Randolph" Sugar, Brendan Suhr, Dick Versace "VerSacchi" or Dave McGinnis that he'd conducted from this past Tuesday before he'd take a call. He rarely if ever took calls.
And I say this as a guy that loved his show too.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:48 pm 

Like I said, I agree that he didn't take many calls when there wasn't a guest on. But he did take calls for some guests, because he had regulars like Wild Bill who would get on the air occasionally. But you had to get past Mac or Modelski to get on the air.

I usually broke for dinner in the 9pm hour because that's when he was most likely to replay his earlier call with a Dale Long.