It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:17 pm 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Do you listen because you find one or more of the personalities compelling?
Or do you listen out of habit?

I find myself yelling "shut the fuck up" at the radio a lot, mainly between 9 and 2 mostly but Parkins has irritated me a lot lately and spiegs is just... fucking.... conceited.

By the way the segment where the kids make football picks is fucking VOMIT INDUCING. Fuck! I hate it. Seriously how long until his rotten kid is singing parody songs on some fruity "album" based on a childish play off some poor bastards name?

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I just want to hear reaction to big local events- bad Bears loss for example.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Unless I'm in the car, I have no use for it. On the a.m. dial your choices are either getting annoyed or bored to death. I like to listen to the Score along with 1000 and a handful of political shows. I end up listening to each one for about three to five minutes before I get annoyed and switch over to the next channel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I just listen to the Bears pre/post game shows and the weekend baseball shows.

Not interested in Mully's fake laugh, Danny B's pearl clutching, LoHo's creepiness/acting like a tough guy, and Parkins/Spiegel are vanilla as hell.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:23 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
The only show I listen to is Parkins/Spiegel and I listen to it on podcasts. I listen to the show because it is interesting and entertaining.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Beek's
There's not one host or show that's 'appointment radio' for me as Mac used to put it. I'll listen to transitions occasionally. I'm not in the car early enough to catch Mully/Haugh usually and the rest of the line-up from 9am-6pm has the exact same sports thoughts and political persuasion. There is little to no difference between Parkins and Bernstein or Leila and Speigel as to what they think about a specific team, player or issue. Too much sameness for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:15 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
I listen when I’m in the car without kids, which typically happens a few times a week for very short trips. So I’ll criticize these guys (and girl!) based on 5-10 min of listening time spread across several days, which seems unfair.

However, they all suck. I find myself disliking LoHo the least. The P&S show seems to get better producers/interaction from those producers, but the hosts are equally bad in different ways. B&R is almost unlistenable. M&H is fine background noise, but I somehow find Haugh the more annoying member of a pair that includes Mully, which would’ve seemed implausible years ago.

That said, I flipped to 1000 the other day and Connor McKnight was reviewing a 20yr old Mike Myers movie, so those guys aren’t exactly cooking with gas.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:16 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
When working from home I stream the score pretty much all day. It’s good background noise as I don’t have to really pay attention unless they have a guest or topic that peaks my interest. That said, it’s must listen after Bears losses and in general throughout the season when they’re bad. I started to tire of all the slurping going on following the draft but that seems to be subsiding now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:37 am 

denisdman wrote:
I just want to hear reaction to big local events- bad Bears loss for example.

I did the same until Doug died. I'm probably only in the car a tenth of what I used to be and can take it or leave it. And I'm streaming anything, it's not radio shows.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:00 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
I only listen if I happen to be in the car after a good Bears game or if something earth-shattering in the Chicago Sports world is going on.

I’ve probably listened to 4 hours total in 2021.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:11 am 

Early in the morning drive and late in the afternoon drive. I like it enough.

I keep hoping for a return to the golden age of the station, when the hosts in almost every timeslot were compelling and there was some notable hijinks every week but I realize that is gone and its never coming back. I kind of wish they'd hire someone from that era for "old guy's radio" either in a regular weekend slot or an off hour. Murph seemed like the only one who truly loved sports and radio at the end so none of those guys probably want to return. I guess Les is there if I ever find myself up in the early morning hours worrying about life.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:58 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I only listen if I happen to be in the car after a good Bears game or if something earth-shattering in the Chicago Sports world is going on.

I’ve probably listened to 4 hours total in 2021.
This is the right way to go about sportsradio right now.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
new job with shorter commute... and podcasts... havent listened to wscr since mcneil got fired (I should clarify, the most recent firing) . From what i've seem here i dont think im missing anything

Last edited by billypootons on Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:18 am 

Only listen for a few minutes day in my car. Used to turn on when at home or on break, but that has been years now.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
I like Parkins and Spiegs and I'll occasionally listen to Holmes. I have no use for any other show.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
I'll turn it on when I'm in my car and there is a commercial on 1000.

That's it though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:40 pm 

Darkside wrote:
Do you listen because you find one or more of the personalities compelling?
Or do you listen out of habit?

I find myself yelling "shut the fuck up" at the radio a lot, mainly between 9 and 2 mostly but Parkins has irritated me a lot lately and spiegs is just... fucking.... conceited.

By the way the segment where the kids make football picks is fucking VOMIT INDUCING. Fuck! I hate it. Seriously how long until his rotten kid is singing parody songs on some fruity "album" based on a childish play off some poor bastards name?

This 110% I turn it on out of habit and quickly PTFB when they speak :lol:

Mully is also in that group. I can't stand his stupid jokes and his chucking at 7:00AM. ESPN has been my go to for sports talk since they re-hired Spiegs.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
As someone who can spend virtually all his waking hours in vehicle some days I don't find myself listening to sports radio very often anymore. I also don't watch sports nearly as much as I once did so maybe that's related. On occasion I'll tune in but I don't think it is more than a hour or two a week max with many weeks not listening at all. I heard a bit of Herron and Kruetz the other day but even that was just a 15 minute hit as I drove home from a halloween thing I had taken my youngest to.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I honestly don't listen because the sports thoughts are neither compelling nor entertaining.

I know everyone rolls their eyes when I talk about the virtues of listening to Barstool, but at least that's an organization that understands their job is to entertain and thus I find myself entertained while listening to them. Is there anyone at 670 who would describe their job as to entertain listeners? They probably would think it's their job to "inform" but no fan really needs to be informed by a radio host in a world where we all have Twitter and can see the same information they are seeing in real time.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I usually listen to Chicago’s Progressive Talk or WVON, because I’m a very intelligent liberal who is also an ally to African Americans. However after reading some of the descriptions I was surprised to see I was missing what appeared to be the most liberal station in radio history, committed to making a difference by addressing and challenging the inequities is our society. I excitedly turned on 670 but all I heard were boring sports takes and the most tepid political statements humanly possible. Way to oversell it people.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:22 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
I know everyone rolls their eyes when I talk about the virtues of listening to Barstool, but at least that's an organization that understands their job is to entertain

My wife texted me a video of something she thought was funny this morning.

It was a Barstool Tweet.

I didn't know how to feel about what had just happened. The video was mildly amusing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:23 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod’s
I certainly always try to entertain. That’s the goal. To make people’s days go by a little faster.

I don’t do a heavily influenced show by analytics or social issues, though both come up. We have 20 hours a week to fill. It would be tough to talk about a 4th and 1 decision without mentioning the numbers. It would be tough to have our head in the sand on the Blackhawks story.

But the majority of the time it’s the 4 of us busting balls and trying to make each other laugh. Recent examples would include Dave Wannstedt’s absurd disgust at us giving him his beloved Pittsburgh beer Iron City Light but the one with MANGO. Based on the feedback of those that heard that segment thought it was hilarious.

We also had Adam McKay talk about his time in Chicago, Christian Bale, and his desire to make absurd comedies as the world goes crazy. Roy Wood Jr tell a hilarious bit about Kool Aid and compare Joe Maddon to Chris Farley and weigh in on the Chappelle special. And Bill Fichtner called in for no reason for his 5th or 6th appearance on the show to just shoot the shit. All of those things happened on the show last week.

I get it, the score isn’t the same as it was in the 90’s. For some people, that means it sucks. For some, that means it’s better. We’ll never be able to please everyone but know that I wake up every day trying my best to put on the most entertaining show I can.

Thanks to those who occasionally check it out.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:56 am 

Thanks for checking in Parkins.

I listen to your afternoon show probably more than any other show on the score because I think you and Meatpants do a decent job of trying to entertain, especially compared to the other shows on the station. And I have been a big critic of Meatpants over the years, but I think he has found a nice groove in your show.

Keep making Hub feel uncomfortable and the more Wanny you can give us the better!!

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:10 am 

Parkins1 wrote:
I certainly always try to entertain. That’s the goal. To make people’s days go by a little faster.

I don’t do a heavily influenced show by analytics or social issues, though both come up. We have 20 hours a week to fill. It would be tough to talk about a 4th and 1 decision without mentioning the numbers. It would be tough to have our head in the sand on the Blackhawks story.

But the majority of the time it’s the 4 of us busting balls and trying to make each other laugh. Recent examples would include Dave Wannstedt’s absurd disgust at us giving him his beloved Pittsburgh beer Iron City Light but the one with MANGO. Based on the feedback of those that heard that segment thought it was hilarious.

We also had Adam McKay talk about his time in Chicago, Christian Bale, and his desire to make absurd comedies as the world goes crazy. Roy Wood Jr tell a hilarious bit about Kool Aid and compare Joe Maddon to Chris Farley and weigh in on the Chappelle special. And Bill Fichtner called in for no reason for his 5th or 6th appearance on the show to just shoot the shit. All of those things happened on the show last week.

I get it, the score isn’t the same as it was in the 90’s. For some people, that means it sucks. For some, that means it’s better. We’ll never be able to please everyone but know that I wake up every day trying my best to put on the most entertaining show I can.

As positive feedback, I do and always have enjoyed the random B listers who don't work in sports who call in for casual conversation. I wonder if Cusak would jump on for half an hour to discuss his perspective about the criticism he has obviously heard about being a bandwagoner. Maybe he'd want to establish a more regular chicago presence to dispel the accusations.

Maybe cultivate Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher as occasional guests during Bears season. Just keep it casual with no agenda on either part.

There seems to be an unlimited amount of people in entertainment who come out of the woodwork any time Northwestern shows something in any sport.

Use Bill Peterson from back in the day as the template: easy conversation about anything chicago from an expat who desires to keep a connection.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:09 pm 

Parkins1 wrote:

And there’s your issue.

Do a show devoted to Rittenhouse* tomorrow and you’ll move meters. Take a look at this bored - social stuff gets the people going (ignore analytics - you guys clearly don’t understand the math and Bernstein has the market cornered on appeals to statistical authority despite a complete ignorance of how & why those stats are calculated).

*Here’s the rub though - you have to invite opposing viewpoints without talking over the people expressing those viewpoints. Manage that and you’ll live up to your first sentence.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:25 pm 

You really want more politics discussed on the Score?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
I'm in the minority I guess. I don't need ball busting, Afternoon Chuckle Hut radio. Also, I would prefer when any show has an expert* on, whether that's Hub, Boomer or whoever...ask your questions and let them answer. Stop trying to argue your agenda with your guest. It's bad radio.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:44 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:

I know what I said, I don’t need it read back to me.

Wanted to do that as a Jessup gif but couldn’t find it. Do me a solid and read it in his voice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
good dolphin wrote:
Parkins1 wrote:

As positive feedback, I do and always have enjoyed the random B listers who don't work in sports who call in for casual conversation. I wonder if Cusak would jump on for half an hour to discuss his perspective about the criticism he has obviously heard about being a bandwagoner. Maybe he'd want to establish a more regular chicago presence to dispel the accusations.

Maybe cultivate Mila Kunis and Ashton Kutcher as occasional guests during Bears season. Just keep it casual with no agenda on either part.

There seems to be an unlimited amount of people in entertainment who come out of the woodwork any time Northwestern shows something in any sport.

Use Bill Peterson from back in the day as the template: easy conversation about anything chicago from an expat who desires to keep a connection.

The McKay interview was fantastic. I wish more comedians joined the boys on Fridays promoting their stand-up shows and just shooting the shit. Shane Gillis couldn’t have come on for a segment a few weeks back? He’s a guy that enjoys his sports as well. Just promise me I’ll never have to listen to David Haugh interview Jim Norton ever again. That. was. rough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 8:53 pm 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:

I know what I said, I don’t need it read back to me.

Wanted to do that as a Jessup gif but couldn’t find it. Do me a solid and read it in his voice.

:lol: