It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Maybe WBEZ can breathe a little life back into this moribund paper and between what's left of the Tribune and what can be salvaged from the Sun-Times, we might have something approaching one viable newspaper in this town.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
If the University of Chicago hadn't killed Jim Tyree, the Sun-Times wouldn't have been sold to Ferro and the resulting decimation of the Sun-Times and then the Tribune might never have happened.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
If nothing else it would have been interesting to see if he could of held that group together. Pretty sure some involved weren't in it for the love of the news game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Warren Newson wrote:
Maybe WBEZ can breathe a little life back into this moribund paper and between what's left of the Tribune and what can be salvaged from the Sun-Times, we might have something approaching one viable newspaper in this town.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

NPR put out decent journalism? Not this decade. Listen as long as you can without hearing something about trans issues, the patriarchy or racial “justice”. Won’t be able to listen for more than ten minutes.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:31 pm 

Hussra wrote:
If the University of Chicago hadn't killed Jim Tyree, the Sun-Times wouldn't have been sold to Ferro and the resulting decimation of the Sun-Times and then the Tribune might never have happened.

Newspapers have been in a tailspin for decades. I think the collapse of both papers was inevitable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
oh yeah, both were eventually going in the shitter, but the Suntimes when Ferro bought it had exited bankruptcy and actually turned an annual profit or two. Probably what drew Ferro to buying it. Then Ferro bought it and reallocated personnel and funding from the newsroom to his and Tim Knight's incubator of bad internet ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Sun Times is going to follow WBEZ's lead and go full Latinx SJW DEI buzzword bullshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:01 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Sun Times is going to follow WBEZ's lead and go full Latinx SJW DEI buzzword bullshit.

A few points in response:

1. There really isn't anything left of the Sun-Times, so there's really nothing there to ruin. Therefore, I'm not that worried;
2. NPR is certainly more SJW than something like WBBM, but it's more or less in line with the SJW level of much of broader civil society. Stated another way, while it becomes too much at times, I'm usually not jarred by it; and
3. If they turn the Sun-Times into something more than just a place where they put the printed versions of their radio stories, it will be worth it. If they don't do any original reporting through the Sun-Times, they already have a website where they can post printed stories, so I don't really see the point.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:28 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I guess you could say the S-T's pronouns are dead/dying

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:22 am 

I just hope they expand the role of Adriana Cardona Maguigad because we are really lacking voices of people who can barely speak English on English speaking radio and she is the only bi lingual reporter in the city.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
hopefully, wbez would give the sun-times a sense of city directional orientation, unlike the tribune.

the tribune tells us that the mars factory on oak park ave., is on the city's west side.

Quote:
Robert Channick, Chicago Tribune
Tue, January 25, 2022, 7:38 PM·
Mars Wrigley is closing a nearly century-old chocolate plant on Chicago’s West Side once hailed as the most beautiful candy factory in America.

Built in a Spanish-style architecture in 1928, the sprawling plant in the Galewood neighborhood bordering Oak Park employs about 280 workers and will be phased out over the next two years, the company said in a statement Tuesday.

i grew up in this neighborhood and the plant does not border oak park. this area was never considered the 'west side'.

he is correct about the beauty...the lawns were always pristine.

too bad about the plant..from jobs to the history of the mars plant.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
good dolphin wrote:
I just hope they expand the role of Adriana Cardona Maguigad because we are really lacking voices of people who can barely speak English on English speaking radio and she is the only bi lingual reporter in the city.

i hope so. i think she covered the marist h.s. racist homecoming dance.

15 y/o latinx students told the tribune that white people love their food and their energy and they were angry that they don't like their music.

later, it was discovered the white and latinx students took knees during various 'white' music songs to show their displeasure with the music.

thank Christ that kass left. 2 rags for newspapers in the city. i used to sell hundreds and hundreds of sunday tribs and sun-times in the early 80's. these days with the internet, the circulation of both has to be around 20%-25% of early 80's circulation.