It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:43 pm 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/1/20/ ... dGZ6uH5i6I

1. Jason Benetti (5): Listen to Benetti call any game, whether it’s his regular White Sox TV gig or a MAC college football game on ESPNU, and you would think he’d been calling those teams forever. He has gained national appeal with ESPN for his work on college football and basketball and MLB Statcasts. He added the Olympics to his resume when he called baseball in the Tokyo Games. And NBC Sports Chicago can’t do any better than him as a fill-in on Bulls games.

2. Adam Amin (NR): Amin wasn’t ranked last year because he had just started calling Bulls games. But he has skyrocketed on the strength of his work for NBCSCH and Fox, for whom he calls the NFL and MLB. The Bears’ preseason TV voice finally called a regular-season Bears game, earning him “The Brick” (in honor of Jack Brickhouse) for calling the Bears, Bulls, Cubs and Sox in the same year. Kevin Burkhardt might be in line for Joe Buck’s seat as the voice of Fox, but Amin is not far behind.

3. Pat Hughes (3): He will be in the Baseball Hall of Fame. It’s just a matter of when. One of the best days of the year is when he makes his spring-training debut on The Score. His voice is a sound of summer, and it makes that March day feel warmer.

4. Jon Sciambi (NR): “Boog” had the unfortunate timing of arriving at Marquee Sports Network during a pandemic. But he and analyst Jim Deshaies hit it off from the start and made for a wonderful broadcast. Sciambi maintains a national profile with ESPN, calling MLB on the radio and college hoops on TV.

5. Jason Goff (12): Don’t call it a comeback because Goff has been here for years. He’s just recreated as the host for Bulls pregame and postgame shows and the podcast “The Full Go with Jason Goff” on Bill Simmons’ platform, The Ringer. Not a bad guy to have in your corner.

6. Danny Parkins (18): It’s no coincidence that Hub Arkush’s comments about Aaron Rodgers and Olin Kreutz’s blasting of George McCaskey happened on Parkins’ show on The Score, which he co-hosts with Matt Spiegel. Stuff happens on that show, and that’s what programmers want in afternoon drive.

7. Laurence Holmes (8): If you’re looking for someone to break down a news event and give it depth and context, Holmes is your guy. Fortunately, his musings are available beyond his two-hour show on The Score, on his network of podcasts and social-media platforms.

8. Marc Silverman (10): No one is more real than Silvy, whose emotions come through the microphone as clear as his voice. He and ESPN 1000 co-host Tom Waddle form the longest-tenured radio duo in town, and their banter hasn’t grown old in the least.

9. David Kaplan (1): Dropping eight spots doesn’t look good, but when people move up, others have to move down. Kap is still one of the few in town on radio (ESPN 1000 morning show) and TV (NBCSCH). He also serves as an analyst on college basketball broadcasts.

10. Leila Rahimi (15): It was quite a year for Rahimi, who became the first woman to co-host a regular weekday show at The Score and returned to TV as a sports anchor at NBC 5.

11. Dan Bernstein (11): He’s different in many ways from his time with Terry Boers — and they’re all for the better.

12. Stacey King (20): He’s a great analyst, but I love his enthusiasm and his catchphrases. All of them.

13. Tom Waddle (NR): It’s enjoyable to listen to him talk football and share stories from his personal life.

14. Pat Foley (7): His visibility has been significantly limited in his last season behind the mic. This isn’t how I thought this would go down.

15. Eddie Olczyk (4): Edzo is still the best hockey analyst on TV. I’d just like to hear more from him.

16. Steve Stone (6): Stoney is still one of the best baseball analysts around. I can’t imagine Chicago baseball without him.

17. Len Kasper (2): He’s an excellent broadcaster, but it’s hard to follow up leaving Cubs TV for Sox radio.

18. Ozzie Guillen (13): The Sox pre/postgame analyst also has a show with his sons, “Being Guillen.”

19. Olin Kreutz (19): He talks about the Bears with such authority and passion it’s a wonder they don’t employ him. Oh, wait, George doesn’t like him.

20. Dionne Miller (NR): She added ESPN 1000’s Bears pregame show with Jeff Meller to her fine anchoring and reporting at ABC 7.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Quote:
11. Dan Bernstein (11): He’s different in many ways from his time with Terry Boers — and they’re all for the better.

Uh no. Leila's even ranked ahead of him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
#1 is bad and it gets worse from there.

Other than that, it’s a list, insofar as it has items and descending numbers next to those items. Gotta give the xerson what wrote this thing that much.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:12 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Amin is a future star...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:32 pm 

It seems like a list of personal preferences instead of actual power, salary or influence.

This is like me making NFL power rankings and putting 1. Bears...Bears!

take Jason Goff at 5 and ask if he would switch jobs with any of the people below him. That is a pretty good indicator of actual rank.

Sir has the most powerful two hour lunch time show in the country.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:40 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Lucky for Benetti that Laurence took his name out of the running for the top spot.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
No Matt Spiegel...that has to sting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:53 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
good dolphin wrote:
It seems like a list of personal preferences instead of actual power, salary or influence.

take Jason Goff at 5 and ask if he would switch jobs with any of the people below him. That is a pretty good indicator of actual rank.

The list makes no sense whatsoever....weird.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
BigW72 wrote:
The list makes no sense whatsoever....weird.

I can help: he's friends with Jasons Benetti and Goff.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
This list has more problems than Purdue's free throw shooting tonight :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
That's a really bad list.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:53 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
what a load of bs.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:57 pm 
1000 CLUB

It is a bad list.

I agree that Parkins has the ability to bait his guests. That's a skill. I have that skill as well. Back in the day, when the radio people would come here, I was able to get shit out of them. In those days I would have been ranked number one. Those days are gone.

I bait you guys as well, but you and I are all nobodys so nobody cares.

Leila is certainly not ahead of Bernstein. It's now the felt need to say women are great when they're not. That's what the writer felt the need to do. Leila pretty much follows Bernstein's lead. Which is what all of his co hosts have done - Boers, Goff, McDoink and now Leila.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:03 am 

Beardown wrote:
It is a bad list.

I agree that Parkins has the ability to bait his guests. That's a skill. I have that skill as well. Back in the day, when the radio people would come here, I was able to get shit out of them. In those days I would have been ranked number one. Those days are gone.

I bait you guys as well, but you and I are all nobodys so nobody cares.

Leila is certainly not ahead of Bernstein. It's now the felt need to say women are great when they're not. That's what the writer felt the need to do. Leila pretty much follows Bernstein's lead. Which is what all of his co hosts have done - Boers, Goff, McDoink and now Leila.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Pure trash. Whoever that author is should not write about Chicago sports media.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:07 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
White Sox win again

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:13 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
good dolphin wrote:

The criteria for consideration are the same: appeal, quality, longevity and personal preference, though some weigh more heavily depending on the individual. For instance, Jon ‘‘Boog’’ Sciambi has called the Cubs for only a year, but he has been in the business for so long that he’s granted longevity.

Roughly 100 names were considered. The top 20 are below, with last year’s rank in parentheses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
RFDC wrote:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2022/1/20/22893503/jason-benetti-adam-amin-pat-hughes-jon-sciambi-jason-goff-danny-parkins-laurence-holmes-chicago?fbclid=IwAR3gt2qHGXUDO8wDXk4E-OBIoj5NLcH-JK9GbgD2ptjrjOsO1dGZ6uH5i6I

of course he's better, because he's now woke and won't buy goya beans. thanks, author. i want the sun-times to tell us more about the marist h.s. racist homecoming dance.

not the biggest fan of joniak, but he's been the bears play-by-play for over 2 decades and wbbm radio's director of sports programming and he has less 'media power' than olin kruetz and dionne miller. paper for the birdcage.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
Stopped reading when i saw Jason Goff lmfao

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:08 pm 

Nicklin3011 wrote:
Stopped reading when i saw Jason Goff lmfao

The author really likes Jason Goff. We've been over this before.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Interesting, when you look up the author of the article you find stuff about him doing talks at Temple for fellow tribesman, makes sense the list would be skewed in certain directions. It also appears you must fill out an application and be accepted before you can enter the Temple he is a member of, I am sure there is no way I would ever be allowed to enter, as is often said, houses of worship are the most segregated places in the country.

If you do it by ratings, which would make sense because the people working on the highest rated outlets reach the largest audience and therefore one could agree have the most "power", the list would look radically different. The fact that Mully or Haugh are not on the list is odd, Boobs chiambi is a copy cat short timer, turn down the volume on Cubs tv during the rare occasions I watched games last year.

Pre and post game hosts really have little power because almost nobody watches those shows. Nobody is watching the Hawks, so assume Foley and Edzo are on the list due to longevity?

Really an embarrassing effort.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:19 pm 

I don't know, I know Jon Greenberg best for getting horny over Julie DiCaro and Jason Goff; I don't think he's really perpetrating an international Jewish conspiracy here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Clawmaster wrote:
Temple for fellow tribesman
Im goin hungry

goin hunnnngrrrrrrrryyyyyeah

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
How Mully isn't on there is beyond me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:07 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Temple for fellow tribesman
Im goin hungry

goin hunnnngrrrrrrrryyyyyeah

Speaking of dubious lists, I'd put that one on my list of "I Can't Tell Whether This Song Is Good or Bad."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:14 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Jason Goff at #5? hahah

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Curious Hair wrote:
I don't know, I know Jon Greenberg best for getting horny over Julie DiCaro and Jason Goff; I don't think he's really perpetrating an international Jewish conspiracy here.

Claw right there riding the fine edge huh?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Just sayin' the guy giving a talk at the church I used to go to was a dude that owned a local funeral home giving talks on how to pay for your burial, not a guy that put together a list of the most powerful people, and there was not an application for membership, they took whoever walked through the door.

As you get a bit older and get to see more of the world and learn how the world really works you see that those that have a bit of influence and power like to associate with like minded people, the rest of us are just jabroni's to them, they are way smarter than us and need to make sure they put out messages that keep us on task.

The problem is that there are a few of us crackpots out here that ain't buyin' what they are selling.