It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
billypootons wrote:
this morning david haugh told me purdue doesnt have much success in march. i mean if you go by only last year... then he's right, but the 3 years before that included 2 sweet 16's and an elite eight

They are always disappointing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Beek's
Made it about 2 minutes into Parkins today. We're at the stage where Poles can do no wrong and anyone that questions Poles doesn't understand how to build a football team.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Beggars
Augie wrote:
Made it about 2 minutes into Parkins today. We're at the stage where Poles can do no wrong and anyone that questions Poles doesn't understand how to build a football team.

Sounds like Parkins has gone from a Nagy to Poles apologist (and also Fields). Even at the end with Nagy, I cannot recall hearing Parkins say he was a bad coach. In the final weeks Spiegel was just shredding Nagy and Parkins would be silent and then at the end just chime in with “obviously he’s not going to be here next year.”

The best was a year or two ago when during an interview Kreutz told Parkins “if only the Bears protected the quarterback like you protect Nagy.” lol

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Finding the podcast to be far superior to anything on the score, especially when it comes to Bears coverage.

Gave the new CHGO thing a spin the other day and found some fairly solid Bears coverage, sadly the score is slowly fading into oblivion for a number of reasons.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:39 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I was on a long drive so I turned on the Score to hear about the White Sox trade. They had a cringe-inducing segment with Pat Tomasulo, who has a comedy special on YouTube and an interview with Justin Fields childhood coach. When they said they had Rick Hahn audio it turned into Dan Bernstein doing his Coach K impression. Brutal.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
I was on a long drive so I turned on the Score to hear about the White Sox trade. They had a cringe-inducing segment with Pat Tomasulo, who has a comedy special on YouTube and an interview with Justin Fields childhood coach. When they said they had Rick Hahn audio it turned into Dan Bernstein doing his Coach K impression. Brutal.

I was in the car for the Fields’ QB coach thing. That was a tough listen but I put that more on the guy’s seeming disinterest in being on the radio. P&S were trying to pull something out of him or get him to act like a human but the guy just could not be bothered.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This Ends in Antioch wrote:

I was in the car for the Fields’ QB coach thing. That was a tough listen but I put that more on the guy’s seeming disinterest in being on the radio. P&S were trying to pull something out of him or get him to act like a human but the guy just could not be bothered.

The coach seemed nervous. Or maybe he's just dumb. He provided absolutely zero insight into Justin Fields. They are so close that his longtime coach couldn't attend his first NFL start because of the "airlines situation".

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 1:38 pm 

The P&S interview style is to go in with their agenda and ask questions in a way that elicit the interviewee to support the P&S point of view. Parkins has done that consistently with Boomer, whether it was not wanting Mahomes blamed for how badly he played against Tampa in the Super Bowl or last year trying of offload any responsibility from Justin Fields for his poor play. Boomer to his credit doesn't fall for it. The same can't be said for the guys from The Athletic, which then turns the segment into one big group think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:02 am 

Used to have the score on in the car all the time and would have it on while doing cardio, must have burned through half a dozen AM/FM portable receivers, and dozens and dozens of headphones over the years, starting out with the walkman type devices and ending with headphone tuners, before of course the phones took over. Had times where I was running/biking/lifting for at least an hour a day as a younger dude and always had the station on during those times. I was taking in at least an hour a day of sport talk radio.

This has changed dramatically, have moved almost totally to podcasts, take in very little live radio, maybe podcast the Bears content from Kap and Hood, but almost no sports talk radio produced content. Wondering if this is the new norm as people listen to just the content that interests them and avoid all the filler/political bs that comes along with what they call sports talk radio today. There really is no personality driven radio, remember the old WGN ads where they would feature Wally or Uncle Bob, no more of that these days as the hosts are all pretty similar and the content/production is all the same people from the same media schools doing the exact same thing. Maybe that is why the podcast sound different, and you get some different takes?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:15 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Clawmaster wrote:

This has changed dramatically, have moved almost totally to podcasts, take in very little live radio, maybe podcast the Bears content from Kap and Hood, but almost no sports talk radio produced content. Wondering if this is the new norm as people listen to just the content that interests them and avoid all the filler/political bs that comes along with what they call sports talk radio today.

You just described me even though I agree with the politics on the Score.

My Score listening has waned for a number of reasons: 1) I care less and less about traditional sports (baseball, basketball, and football) and my interest in the Cubs is completely gone. 2) The Athletic's hockey and auto racing podcasts are excellent and I listen to them on most days. Plus, Elliott Friedman's 31 Thoughts is a must-listen every week as well. 3) I have discovered some excellent non-sports podcasts that I would rather listen to instead of P&S talking about the White Sox or who the Bears can draft in the 2nd round. 4) Maybe it's my old phone but I have difficulty playing the Score's podcasts. Too often I get a message saying the podcast cannot be played. Granted, this doesn't happen with other podcasts. In addition, too often the day's podcasts are not available in the evening or even the next morning. Sometimes I want to hear about a specific topic but if I have to wait a day, my interest turns to other things. Back in the B&B era, the first hour of the show would be available before they signed off for the day. So my decline in listening is not due to anything P&S have done moreso it's because I care about local sports less.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Augie wrote:

The P&S interview style is to go in with their agenda and ask questions in a way that elicit the interviewee to support the P&S point of view. Parkins has done that consistently with Boomer, whether it was not wanting Mahomes blamed for how badly he played against Tampa in the Super Bowl or last year trying of offload any responsibility from Justin Fields for his poor play. Boomer to his credit doesn't fall for it. The same can't be said for the guys from The Athletic, which then turns the segment into one big group think.

you're right about mahomes and the super bowl...bernstein whined and moped for days after brady (trump) beat mahomes. when he figured that his sjw flowchart allowed him to praise todd bowles for mahomes' so-so game, bernstein came to life again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:45 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Augie wrote:

you're right about mahomes and the super bowl...bernstein whined and moped for days after brady (trump) beat mahomes. when he figured that his sjw flowchart allowed him to praise todd bowles for mahomes' so-so game, bernstein came to life again.

Can only imagine how odd it must be for a guy like Boomer who actually played the game to have to listen to the inept football thoughts of guys like Parkins and Bernstein who are only in the positions they are in due to their families being connected and being wealthy enough to fully support them for years as they worked for nothing or next to nothing doing obscure sports media jobs.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:50 am 

M&H we’re trying to polish the turd that is the Cubs roster this morning. Gave me flashbacks to when Ron Jaworski was ‘really excited’ to see Tyler Palko play.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:54 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
You are right about Parkins and the agenda pre-interview. I don't find him to be as patently SJW as Bernsie which is weird as he is younger. I see Parkins more as careful what he says than having the SJW cause in his heart.

As for you podcast guys, don't you miss the live element of real radio? I can't seem to get myself to listen to a podcast that is a day old or is about something I already know the ending or story about.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:16 am 

M&H we’re trying to polish the turd that is the Cubs roster this morning. Gave me flashbacks to when Ron Jaworski was ‘really excited’ to see Tyler Palko play.

We definitely are back to the season where "unbiased" Score hosts evenly reporting on Chicago baseball.

They have never had their content censored/altered despite admissions from former employees that they did. Why would we even think that one of the drive time hosts who moonlights as an occasional play by play man for the team and who would like the permanent job would ever bite his tongue when discussing the team or give them undeserved attention? Only a crazy conspiracy theorist would think such things.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Well Bernsie just teased they will play some of a Stark podcast or something Theo was on for an hour. He referred to Theo as the "shadow commissioner". He was always unbiased on him lol.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
pittmike wrote:
As for you podcast guys, don't you miss the live element of real radio? I can't seem to get myself to listen to a podcast that is a day old or is about something I already know the ending or story about.

I tend to listen to more national stuff on podcasts, and mostly batched up for travel or before falling asleep. The only thing I routinely listen to same evening is PTI, which is 26 minutes, and even then I only listen if both Tony and Wilbon are on. I haven't found a Cubs or White Sox specific podcast worth listening to yet, but I'm open to suggestions as long as they play in the PocketCasts app.

I have a 5 hour flight tomorrow evening so I have lined up Monday's Bomani Jones podcast to listen to him gloat about the failure of Duke, the P&S segment about the Les Grobstein home run contest, today's ESPN Daily about Phil Mickelson, and today's Jomboy Baseball podcast. That'll get me through half the flight, and I will probably watch ESPN for the other half as Delta has live TV.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
pittmike wrote:

I tend to listen to more national stuff on podcasts, and mostly batched up for travel or before falling asleep. The only thing I routinely listen to same evening is PTI, which is 26 minutes, and even then I only listen if both Tony and Wilbon are on. I haven't found a Cubs or White Sox specific podcast worth listening to yet, but I'm open to suggestions as long as they play in the PocketCasts app.

I have a 5 hour flight tomorrow evening so I have lined up Monday's Bomani Jones podcast to listen to him gloat about the failure of Duke, the P&S segment about the Les Grobstein home run contest, today's ESPN Daily about Phil Mickelson, and today's Jomboy Baseball podcast. That'll get me through half the flight, and I will probably watch ESPN for the other half as Delta has live TV.

My favorite Sox podcasts are From the 108 and Sox Machine. From what I can glean about your personality from this board, I don't think you would like From the 108 (too much b.s. and drinking talk, not enough baseball), but Sox Machine might be up your alley.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I will give Sox Machine a try.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:42 am 

pittmike wrote:
You are right about Parkins and the agenda pre-interview. I don't find him to be as patently SJW as Bernsie which is weird as he is younger. I see Parkins more as careful what he says than having the SJW cause in his heart.

That used to be the case, but there is very little deviation of thought on WSCR from 9 AM to 9 PM, it's basically the same takes on everything from hosts that are not going to give anything other than what you can read on twitter.

The Pods give you a little deeper dive into stuff you actually care about, which for me on the sports end is Bears/NFL content. You also get more honest opinions from guys that are either national or local guys that are not beat writers or WSCR hosts that are apparently either unable or unwilling to give you an unbiased take on local teams.

The station has gotten so far away from the origins where the hosts routinely challenged and even belittled Bears coaches and ownership, sometimes even directly on air that the station is doing a type of sports talk opinion thing kind of like what you find on CNN, Fox, or MSNBC where they just give you one side and hope you are unable or unwilling to actually think for yourself and doubt what they are saying.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Clawmaster wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Augie wrote:

Can only imagine how odd it must be for a guy like Boomer who actually played the game to have to listen to the inept football thoughts of guys like Parkins and Bernstein who are only in the positions they are in due to their families being connected and being wealthy enough to fully support them for years as they worked for nothing or next to nothing doing obscure sports media jobs.

yeah...i'm thinking that boomer knows exactly what's going on. regardless, he's giving his opinion - right or wrong. i do rate him because he has an actual opinion and isn't afraid to be wrong on occasion.

some of these interviews with national experts go all over the place. the baseball expert jon heymon comes off as having a canned soliloquy for 4 different cities. just insert hometown player/manager for clubs - always slanted to the positive. chicago at 8:10 am, denver at 11:15 am...etc...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Clawmaster wrote:
there is very little deviation of thought on WSCR from 9 AM to 9 PM, it's basically the same takes on everything from hosts that are not going to give anything other than what you can read on twitter.

Agree with this.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:42 pm 

Clawmaster wrote:
pittmike wrote:

That used to be the case, but there is very little deviation of thought on WSCR from 9 AM to 9 PM, it's basically the same takes on everything from hosts that are not going to give anything other than what you can read on twitter.

The Pods give you a little deeper dive into stuff you actually care about, which for me on the sports end is Bears/NFL content. You also get more honest opinions from guys that are either national or local guys that are not beat writers or WSCR hosts that are apparently either unable or unwilling to give you an unbiased take on local teams.

The station has gotten so far away from the origins where the hosts routinely challenged and even belittled Bears coaches and ownership, sometimes even directly on air that the station is doing a type of sports talk opinion thing kind of like what you find on CNN, Fox, or MSNBC where they just give you one side and hope you are unable or unwilling to actually think for yourself and doubt what they are saying.

It's as if the Score 9am-6pm group had a meeting where they decided that they were only going to be supportive and not critical, first of Fields and now additionally Poles/Eberflus. Vikings sports radio has already questioned the strategy of the new GM/Coach and been critical of moves made and moves not made. While the Score 9-6 group has been nothing but positive about the Bears....other than ownership...They'll still take shots at George and Ted Phillips.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:39 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Augie wrote:

yeah...i'm thinking that boomer knows exactly what's going on. regardless, he's giving his opinion - right or wrong. i do rate him because he has an actual opinion and isn't afraid to be wrong on occasion.

some of these interviews with national experts go all over the place. the baseball expert jon heymon comes off as having a canned soliloquy for 4 different cities. just insert hometown player/manager for clubs - always slanted to the positive. chicago at 8:10 am, denver at 11:15 am...etc...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
the baseball expert jon heymon comes off as having a canned soliloquy for 4 different cities. just insert hometown player/manager for clubs

100% accurate

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:56 am 

I’m going to start listening to the Score again…on Bears’ Mondays.

I thought they’d mostly suck the joy out of the W but instead they’re using early tranny to suck everything they can out of Eberflus.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:59 am 

Haugh is a funny watch on twitch. He’s at the end of a desk but looks like he physically can’t move his neck to look at the other three guys.

Everybody else acts like a normal human and looks at people they’re speaking with. On occasion where Haugh does look at bit to the side, he closes his eyes like he’s terrified of making eye contact with Leery.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:51 pm 

Haugh is a funny watch on twitch. He’s at the end of a desk but looks like he physically can’t move his neck to look at the other three guys.

Everybody else acts like a normal human and looks at people they’re speaking with. On occasion where Haugh does look at bit to the side, he closes his eyes like he’s terrified of making eye contact with Leery.

He's a white dude that likes country music, an enemy of the state in Larry and Lil' Danny Bernstein's world.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:10 am 

I’m going to start listening to the Score again (for at least the first part of today)…

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:15 am 

90% of the calls taken today will have absurd trade proposals.

Book it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 203 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next