It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Il-Forno in Deerfield
Three words: Don't Fade Me.
The least secured subscription based website ever created on the internet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
HGH player of the day = all time segment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Psycory wrote:
The least secured subscription based website ever created on the internet. :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's like One Post said, he became a character playing Mike North...or in this case, The Bookie Priest. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:03 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
In fairness...I think the Bookie Priest segment was hysterical

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
When he was hosting with Doug Buffone and Shakey was on as well were some amusing moments.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Jaw Breaker wrote:
He was on with Parkins a few days ago to talk about the 30th anniversary of the station. He was kind of emotional recounting how he told his wife he was a failure and saw no future better than his current job of picking up trash in Grant Park. Bebe convinced him to try radio, so he paid $200 a day to get a couple of hours of airtime on an obscure station. Eventually Danny Lee decided to create a dedicated sports station and North became the star.

Murph got in him the door. He was on with Murph on a small station doing NFL gambling and then eventually on Murph's Fan-Talk show on WLS 890 AM.

That got him on the radio map and he was signed on at the Score.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:34 pm 

Derplington wrote:
Appreciate the score history lesson folks. Did other cohosts hate Murphy as much as they lead on? Mac and Boers would always rip on him. You still hear hosts ripping him on occasion now a days. Wish I could find audio of him calling Walter Payton "Wally".

McNeil/Boers were a bunch of bullies to murph. They were absolutely jealous of Murph because his show was the top rated show on the score for many years and everyone on Murph's staff would get bonus's. Murph was hard on his producers but you got to be an asshole sometimes to deliver the #1 show on the station for consecutive years.

Murph was all about delivering the best show possible day in and day out. He expected professionalism and perfection (or close to it) from his staff. He did not respect when guys like Dan and Terry would half ass it or come in hungover on the air.

So Murph wanted nothing to do w/ Boers and McNeil and they got all pissy about it. Especially Dan. Boers later got Bernstein in the mix to make fun of Murph. These people are like a bunch of giddy school girls.

But Murph got the last laugh. He laughed all the way to the bank.

Last edited by HawaiiYou on Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:36 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Psycory wrote:

It's like One Post said, he became a character playing Mike North...or in this case, The Bookie Priest. :lol:

North was so deluded with bookie priest at one time he constantly tried to get on Letterman, yes THE David Letterman show, to push Bookie priest as a reocorruing guest on Dave's show. I doubt Dave even bothered entertaining the idea.

--

who was his racist buddy he had on at the end of his run? forget the name but he was a complete Stuand.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
HawaiiYou wrote:
Derplington wrote:
Appreciate the score history lesson folks. Did other cohosts hate Murphy as much as they lead on? Mac and Boers would always rip on him. You still hear hosts ripping him on occasion now a days. Wish I could find audio of him calling Walter Payton "Wally".

McNeil/Boers were a bunch of bullies to murph. They were absolutely jealous of Murph because his show was the top rated show on the score for many years and everyone on Murph's staff would get bonus's. Murph was hard on his producers but you got to be an asshole sometimes to deliver the #1 show on the station for consecutive years.

Murph was all about delivering the best show possible day in and day out. He expected professionalism and perfection (or close to it) from his staff. He did not respect when guys like Dan and Terry would half ass it or come in hungover on the air.

So Murph wanted nothing to do w/ Boers and McNeil and they got all pissy about it. Especially Dan. Boers later got Bernstein in the mix to make fun of Murph. These people are like a bunch of giddy school girls.

This entire post is a figment of your imagination.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I've ended up being at my father's place on a number of Friday nights recently, and my dad leaves on radio all day. Sometimes 780, sometimes 1000, it's not like he's paying attention it's just noise.

As a result, I've heard Pappy on with Carmen a few times on their Friday night gambling show. A much better format for him, it sounds pretaped and no callers, it's only an hour, and he can't go off on too many non-sports tangents.

I don't gamble on sports besides the very occasional DFS and if I'm in Vegas some baseball, so I have no idea if Pappy is actually any good at what can really be obtained from the sports books. But he's a reasonable listen these days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:07 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Derplington wrote:

ask the people that were there. they'll tell you this is pretty accurate. Unless you talk to Boers/McNeil/Bernstein ass kissers/worshipers.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

HawaiiYou wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Derplington wrote:

ask the people that were there. they'll tell you this is pretty accurate. Unless you talk to Boers/McNeil/Bernstein ass kissers/worshipers.

YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT WITH THAT POST.

Is that clear enough?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Derplington wrote:

Yep.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:02 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I've ended up being at my father's place on a number of Friday nights recently, and my dad leaves on radio all day. Sometimes 780, sometimes 1000, it's not like he's paying attention it's just noise.

As a result, I've heard Pappy on with Carmen a few times on their Friday night gambling show. A much better format for him, it sounds pretaped and no callers, it's only an hour, and he can't go off on too many non-sports tangents.

I don't gamble on sports besides the very occasional DFS and if I'm in Vegas some baseball, so I have no idea if Pappy is actually any good at what can really be obtained from the sports books. But he's a reasonable listen these days.

I always thought when Mike stuck to sports he was entertaining.

I know the current cast thinks its only liberal political talk that turns off listeners but Pappy was the original political talker and about as right wing as you could get. It almost sunk the station.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Uncle Pete's
One Post wrote:
I also think at some point he stopped being the authentic Mike North, and started playing the character Mike North.

That was his downfall.

Also, his morning show became more of a show for him and his friends, Fritzies night on the town, etc, etc. I liked Mike. He was very important to the station, but his ego got the best of him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:59 pm 

Rusty Shackleford wrote:
One Post wrote:
I also think at some point he stopped being the authentic Mike North, and started playing the character Mike North.

That was his downfall.

Also, his morning show became more of a show for him and his friends, Fritzies night on the town, etc, etc. I liked Mike. He was very important to the station, but his ego got the best of him.

I like him too. Even though he fucked over himself. I still say he has a very unique take in chicago sports and should be on the air somewhere talking about it. But I dont know if he can control himself to stick w/ just sports.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
good dolphin wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:

I always thought when Mike stuck to sports he was entertaining.

I know the current cast thinks its only liberal political talk that turns off listeners but Pappy was the original political talker and about as right wing as you could get. It almost sunk the station.

Whenever a sports yakker tries to do politics it comes across the same way as when a political talk yakker tries to do sports, it sounds meatbally and forced. North was trying to sprinkle in conservative talk, but it was just reciting what party leaders say about politics with no original takes or thoughts, you get the same thing when Bernstein, Hub, Parkins, Holmes, or Spiegs talk politics, but without any original sports takes/thoughts.

Have heard many of the original hosts say that the main when the station launched was to get noticed, they all will admit the Ditka show put the station on the map. The station then began building a solid following, but each show had a unique feel with each hosts having different takes on events, transition was often heated, but entertaining.

The current station sounds nothing like the original, but they still will play bits from way back when and for some reason they all still love to tell the same Murphy stories.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:13 am 

Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Derplington wrote:

YOU ARE FULL OF SHIT WITH THAT POST.

Is that clear enough?

One of Murph's producers posted here a few years ago about what an awful person he was to work for. I think it was Cy?

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:57 am 
Site Admin

Murph opened his mouth about getting a job at the Score months before he left WLS. They fired him. Cost him some money.

Murph was the first or second host signed by the Score. Negotiated a shitty a deal for himself that paid him hourly. Cost himself more money.

Murph didn't get bonuses at all. Unless they began when he started doing mornings which was a job he was relieved from and North was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars more then Murph was. Like prolly close to at least $1.5M more then Murph. If not more.

Murph had the opportunity to work full time before the station started. He wanted to keep his day job.

Murph envied others who took chances leaving their full time professions,(See Boers)taking chances he was unwilling take.

Murph was making fun of Bernstein before he ever went to work at the Score. Murph's envy increases when Bernstein is more successful.

Murph was the most professional broadcaster. Hell, Holmes is doing his old show daily noon-2.

But the rest of that post is pure fiction.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:05 am 

Not to pile on Murph - but he was an incredibly insecure guy. He never wanted anyone in the studio with him as he thought people would take his bits, he wanted everything to be talked about as his idea (ask J Hood ), and he wouldn't leave that sales job he had. If I recall, it was an inside sales job with North Center air conditioning ( something like that). He would leave the morning show 10 or 15 minutes before it was suppose to end as he had to get to his job in the suburbs. He gave them good ratings though - you have to give him that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:08 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Murph sucked.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
North was personally responsible for me never listening to The Score in the early years.

I was in high school when they first started, and the low power signal rarely made it over the lake to us, but we'd all heard about the station, and it was right in my wheelhouse. I just couldn't get the signal consistently.

When they made the jump to 670, North was the loudest voice I heard, and the exact opposite of what appealed to me, the tone, inside jokes, gambling, making fun of the callers, I just don't enjoy that. The rest of the station sounded similar, and why wouldn't they, considering North's success.

I suffered through the beginnings of ESPN radio as a Dahl fan, but became attached to M/M, Kornheiser, Patrick, Eisen, and the local guys. I was unsure if I could like Dan MacNiel since he was a Score guy, but MJH proved me wrong. He became a favorite, and mede me wish I'd given 670 a better chance.

To this day, North is PTFB for me, in fact I just turned off my radio mid "Prahhp swahhp" whist typing this. Lots of good thoughts on the situation have already been expressed in this thread: success/greatness, playing the role of...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

didea wrote:
Not to pile on Murph - but he was an incredibly insecure guy. He never wanted anyone in the studio with him as he thought people would take his bits, he wanted everything to be talked about as his idea (ask J Hood ), and he wouldn't leave that sales job he had. If I recall, it was an inside sales job with North Center air conditioning ( something like that). He would leave the morning show 10 or 15 minutes before it was suppose to end as he had to get to his job in the suburbs. He gave them good ratings though - you have to give him that.

Murph understood radio better then anyone at the Score.

Murph never understood how to profit from it fully however.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:27 pm 

Murph and his show did get bonuses. The other poster who said Cy was on here years ago was right.

And Murph worked at the appliance department at Montgomery Ward when he was on Fan Talk on WLS. He was a appliance salesman and did Fan talk as a side gig.

That side gig turned into a lucrative career so yes he did very well for himself.

Murph's also did some writing for the Cubs Magazine Vine Line.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
HawaiiYou wrote:
Murph and his show did get bonuses. The other poster who said Cy was on here years ago was right.

And Murph worked at the appliance department at Montgomery Ward when he was on Fan Talk on WLS. He was a appliance salesman and did Fan talk as a side gig.

That side gig turned into a lucrative career so yes he did very well for himself.

What makes you think Murph had a lucrative career? It was a long one by radio standards but I doubt he ever was very high on the pay scale.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:48 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Didn’t Murph work for Motorola or some crap while doing radio?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:55 pm 
Site Admin

HawaiiYou wrote:

No, he did not.

No, this career never happened.

Maybe he did. Not very lucrative.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Murphs claim to fame was that he was a bleach bum back in the day, so whatever he did for work allowed him to be off all day almost every day, was he one of the people Elia was talking about in his famous rant?

Never got the '69 Cubs love, after all they had three or four Hall of Famers in their lineup consistently and never won, but understand it more now because there is nobody that overvalues players and celebrates old players like Cub fans. He is kind of a nostalgia piece, a throwback to the loveable loser Cubs era.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:00 am 

He had to have made pretty good money hosting the morning shows during the big contract years of sports radio. Nobody was making North's 1.5 million but he had to be making several hundred thousand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:05 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

No, he did not.

No, this career never happened.

Maybe he did. Not very lucrative.

:D What do YOU know about the inner workings of the Score???