It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:03 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
He had to have made pretty good money hosting the morning shows during the big contract years of sports radio. Nobody was making North's 1.5 million but he had to be making several hundred thousand

No

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Now I'm curious....Murph ever reveal where he lived?

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:06 pm 
Site Admin

BigW72 wrote:

That's an odd question.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:22 pm 

BigW72 wrote:

Boystown

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:25 pm 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

Boystown

Further south... :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:09 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Clawmaster wrote:
Murphs claim to fame was that he was a bleach bum back in the day,

Murph blew the bugle!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Murph blew the bugle!

Mike Murphy wrote:
I hope Boers ain't listenin'.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Murphs claim to fame was that he was a bleach bum back in the day,

Murph blew the bugle!

"Look who's on the hotline. let me punch up my old buddy Pete LaCock!!!"

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:42 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
BigW72 wrote:

That's an odd question.

I'm an odd guy.

I'm going to agree with your response earlier. I don't think Murph ever came remotely close to North or McNeil money.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Regular Reader wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Murph and his show did get bonuses. The other poster who said Cy was on here years ago was right.

And Murph worked at the appliance department at Montgomery Ward when he was on Fan Talk on WLS. He was a appliance salesman and did Fan talk as a side gig.

No, he did not.

That side gig turned into a lucrative career so yes he did very well for himself.

No, this career never happened.

Murph's also did some writing for the Cubs Magazine Vine Line.

Maybe he did. Not very lucrative.

:D What do YOU know about the inner workings of the Score???

Now why would you insult Rozner like that?

:)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
good dolphin wrote:
He had to have made pretty good money hosting the morning shows during the big contract years of sports radio. Nobody was making North's 1.5 million but he had to be making several hundred thousand
I don't think the 6-8 am shift was commanding big bucks. Murph struck me as a guy willing to take whatever shift and money he was offered just to stay employed. There's nothing wrong with that but I don't think he was ever in a position to dictate terms.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
K Effective wrote:
North was personally responsible for me never listening to The Score in the early years.

I was in high school when they first started, and the low power signal rarely made it over the lake to us, but we'd all heard about the station, and it was right in my wheelhouse. I just couldn't get the signal consistently.

When they made the jump to 670, North was the loudest voice I heard, and the exact opposite of what appealed to me, the tone, inside jokes, gambling, making fun of the callers, I just don't enjoy that. The rest of the station sounded similar, and why wouldn't they, considering North's success.

I suffered through the beginnings of ESPN radio as a Dahl fan, but became attached to M/M, Kornheiser, Patrick, Eisen, and the local guys. I was unsure if I could like Dan MacNiel since he was a Score guy, but MJH proved me wrong. He became a favorite, and mede me wish I'd given 670 a better chance.

To this day, North is PTFB for me, in fact I just turned off my radio mid "Prahhp swahhp" whist typing this. Lots of good thoughts on the situation have already been expressed in this thread: success/greatness, playing the role of...

Early on I really liked Murph's show. Probably was about 20 or so. It was short, which was good for my attention span. I imagine if I heard it now I'd groan but 30 minutes of Murph? That was was about right.

North was never my favorite show. I get that he was popular and he was okay for me in bursts. The more he got full of himself and then gambling.. Gambling, fantasy is PTF button for me. Whatever floats your boat I guess but I just don't care for it (Beyond the horse track type stuff, because that's an experience).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:07 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
I don't think the 6-8 am shift was commanding big bucks. Murph struck me as a guy willing to take whatever shift and money he was offered just to stay employed. There's nothing wrong with that but I don't think he was ever in a position to dictate terms.

No that was Les. Murph didn’t get north or Dan money but he did pretty good. More than enough to retire comfortably.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:21 am 

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I defer to Seacrest's superior knowledge of the situation but that morning show was an anomaly in terms of ratings in a bad way for the entire existence of the station. Murph came in and made mornings viable at the station. I'm surprised to hear that kind of turn around didn't warrant a nice contract.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:36 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
No idea where Murph lived (or lives), but I once saw him and his wife (I assume) dining at the same place my wife and I happened to be at (Cafe La Cave).

Same thing with North...saw him and Bebe at Basta Pasta.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:57 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
No idea where Murph lived (or lives), but I once saw him and his wife (I assume) dining at the same place my wife and I happened to be at (Cafe La Cave).

In fairness...North used to practically live at Basta Pasta :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I defer to Seacrest's superior knowledge of the situation but that morning show was an anomaly in terms of ratings in a bad way for the entire existence of the station. Murph came in and made mornings viable at the station. I'm surprised to hear that kind of turn around didn't warrant a nice contract.

They moved him around the lineup from evenings (which early on concluded at dusk) to middays to mornings to accommodate the other more well-regarded hosts. They gave him a 1/2 shift - which means less money and certainly less respect (from a management perspective). Finally, despite ratings success, they pulled him off the air and let his contract expire. In some respects they treated him like Milton from Office Space. I'm not sure at what point he could have demanded much in the way of salary.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Maybe Seacrest knows more about this too but I used to enjoy Murph's Saturday shows. He was pretty random and it fit what I needed in a show. I knew he was doing okay because for as Cubs heavy as he could be and as big a Cubs detractor I am he kept me locked in.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:15 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:

In fairness...North used to practically live at Basta Pasta :lol:

North's accessibility was key to popularity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:52 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

that is correct sir.

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

They moved him around the lineup from evenings (which early on concluded at dusk) to middays to mornings to accommodate the other more well-regarded hosts. They gave him a 1/2 shift - which means less money and certainly less respect (from a management perspective). Finally, despite ratings success, they pulled him off the air and let his contract expire. In some respects they treated him like Milton from Office Space. I'm not sure at what point he could have demanded much in the way of salary.

*** I deleted my reply - too controversial - Seacrest can probably retrieve it and respond if he wishes.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:05 am 
Site Admin

HawaiiYou wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

No that was Les. Murph didn’t get north or Dan money but he did pretty good. More than enough to retire comfortably.

Murph kept his day job so that he could retire comfortably.

Unfortunately, he sold himself short at the Score from before Day 1.

The WLS Gig was $50 per hour.

He was paid slightly more when he began at the Score.

I'm sure the morning show money was better, but Murph had already established a pattern of selling his career short by then. And it didn't last that long either.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
per certain people at the remotes with the Score, Murph was making 1/4 of what Dan and Terry were making.

Which should have been in the neighborhood of 100k. So not that shabby. This was at the time of his early afternoon show that LoHo has now.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

City of Fools wrote:
per certain people at the remotes with the Score, Murph was making 1/4 of what Dan and Terry were making.

Which should have been in the neighborhood of 100k. So not that shabby. This was at the time of his early afternoon show that LoHo has now.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:18 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I'm sure the morning show money was better, but Murph had already established a pattern of selling his career short by then. And it didn't last that long either.

In a 1988/1989 economy - $50/hr ($100K a year) was a very high salary for that time period.

If he even got $60/$65 in the early 90s which comes out to $120/130 yearly, that was living large in an early and mid 1990s economy. And we're not even calculating bonus money here.

He also had a lot of side deals and also selling appliances so ya, he was living pretty good. And his wife is/was a top RN and they had no kids so they were doing pretty well.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
HawaiiYou wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

In a 1988/1989 economy - $50/hr ($100K a year) was a very high salary for that time period.

If he even got $60/$65 in the early 90s which comes out to $120/130 yearly, that was living large in an early and mid 1990s economy. And we're not even calculating bonus money here.

He also had a lot of side deals and also selling appliances so ya, he was living pretty good. And his wife is/was a top RN and they had no kids so they were doing pretty well.

How do you know this much about Murph? Did you use to fuck his wife or something?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:23 am 
Site Admin

HawaiiYou wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Murph was paid for his time on the air.

How many week days did Murph work in the winter? :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:43 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

How do you know this much about Murph? Did you use to fuck his wife or something?

Whistler vibe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: Eduardo's
I heard McNeil state that the primary reason that the bosses at the Score were so willing to cave to North's demands back in the day was not so much due to ratings as much as it was do to the amount of advertising and sponsorships that he was able to generate for the station.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Again, your comprehension needs work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:23 am 

The Missing Link wrote:
I heard McNeil state that the primary reason that the bosses at the Score were so willing to cave to North's demands back in the day was not so much due to ratings as much as it was do to the amount of advertising and sponsorships that he was able to generate for the station.

They did fear him for a while, until he declined the 800K offer and walked away without the station taking a hit in billing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:58 am 

The Missing Link wrote:

I 100% remember McNeil saying that.

It was true at the time his morning show started, but man....within a year, he would have lost all of that leverage based on that disastrous show.