It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Nicklin3011 wrote:
As someone who has played hockey, Jay Zawaski is not the guy to take hockey insight from. I'm glad he promotes the game, but generally has no idea. Just because you can post "Advanced Metrics" doesn't mean you know the game. Just like baseball, the players do not care or even look at Corsi etc

corsi is the dumbest stat ever

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:36 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
Nicklin3011 wrote:
As someone who has played hockey, Jay Zawaski is not the guy to take hockey insight from. I'm glad he promotes the game, but generally has no idea. Just because you can post "Advanced Metrics" doesn't mean you know the game. Just like baseball, the players do not care or even look at Corsi etc

Shots fired at Baby McNown

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 11:18 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Nicklin3011 wrote:

Shot attempts isn't even an advanced stat! You can't tell a story with shots on goal alone, certainly not when players block as many shots as they do.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:50 pm 

you can tell a better story with shots on goal than just any shot attempt. corsi counts everything. who gives a shit about a missed shot?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I don't know about corsi, but shots on goal is a broadcasters favorite and doesn't say dick about how the team played.
"The Blackhawks lost 5-1 despite having 30 more shots on goals. Blah...blah...blah."

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:44 pm 

Well, those shot discrepancies are a good way to determine the important stat of "Goalie Stood On His Head"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:39 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
you can tell a better story with shots on goal than just any shot attempt. corsi counts everything. who gives a shit about a missed shot?

You had the puck long enough to take a shot, maybe it hit the post or had too much on it. It was still an attempt. I think it's especially relevant to track all three now that high-volume-low-quality shooting seems to be the trend in the NHL since the Golden Knights.