It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Financial analyst view on Audacy 7/23

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

vitoscotti wrote:
Financial analyst view on Audacy 7/23

Wouldn't a simple cut (if they weren't so woke) to not have a 3rd person being a co-host once a week for your mid-day show? Shouldn't the two heavyweights of Chicago sports be able to hold down the time slot? If a female is needed to reach out to that 2% of the listening audience (being generous), why not just give her the full time job again?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:05 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
See that ESPN is launching a gambling venture.

It seems the gambling people would be the most likely ones to be dumpster diving for local AM sports yakkers, the WSCR brand does have some name recognition and with a total rehaul where they get away from the repetitive SJW content you find on ESPN and WSCR every single day and into more personality driven unique content built around live play by play makes at least some sense.

The Score will be fine regardless and your snowflake whining will continue to give you a reason to post.

Me thinks the lady doth protest too much.

Read these type posts often, an odd hill to die on, you can go back to your 20 hours of Northwestern scandal football talk, everyone else has moved on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:48 am 

The board's die hard Score apologists has dwindled down to a small group.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:55 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
vitoscotti wrote:

The board's group of regular posters has dwindled to almost nothing.

The CFMB now has a more precarious existence than that of the Score.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

I'd say it is a reflection of The Score. This board's main focus was 670 so as 670 has died, so has the board.

We've gone from daily show threads that stretch pages to maybe getting 1 tiny thread a week on the main shows. It's a reflection of how dead sports radio is in Chicago.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Just read the earnings release. I will check out the transcript. It was a horrible quarter. The line about talking to their lenders to enhance liquidity is the first sign of a bankruptcy filing. I suspect a prepackaged b/k is coming. They are running out of cash.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:48 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

I'd say it is a reflection of The Score. This board's main focus was 670 so as 670 has died, so has the board.

We've gone from daily show threads that stretch pages to maybe getting 1 tiny thread a week on the main shows. It's a reflection of how dead sports radio is in Chicago.

Yes, certainly. I suppose if this board were on Reddit, it would garner more traffic, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2023 6:48 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This company is cooked. They're going to hand in the AM licenses and sell off the real estate the sticks are on. That has to be worth more than owning 670 itself at this point.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:53 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Find it interesting that certain posters push back when anyone points out how far the station has got from its roots.

Caught a segment on Sox post last night that exposed the inept nature of the stations current lineup. One of the stations part time hosts went strong with the flaccid sabermetric BS, the type of stuff that is spewed unchecked all day long on the station, but there was an actual baseball guy there and he instantly shot down the odd baseball take.

When you operate all day in an echo chamber where you interact only with people that think exactly like you it severely limits your world view, and it makes for incredibly boring sports talk radio.

It has been made painfully obvious that some of the posters here are terrified of anyone with an original though and find listening to people disagreeing with each other on AM radio, but for the adults who know you need to listen to alternative viewpoints to gain perspective it seems silly.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:14 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Clawmaster wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Find it interesting that certain posters push back when anyone points out how far the station has got from its roots.

Caught a segment on Sox post last night that exposed the inept nature of the stations current lineup. One of the stations part time hosts went strong with the flaccid sabermetric BS, the type of stuff that is spewed unchecked all day long on the station, but there was an actual baseball guy there and he instantly shot down the odd baseball take.

When you operate all day in an echo chamber where you interact only with people that think exactly like you it severely limits your world view, and it makes for incredibly boring sports talk radio.

It has been made painfully obvious that some of the posters here are terrified of anyone with an original though and find listening to people disagreeing with each other on AM radio, but for the adults who know you need to listen to alternative viewpoints to gain perspective it seems silly.

I've been through this with Claw earlier in the summer, and there's no point in doing it again. I don't know, maybe I'm completely out of step with the board, but does anyone else agree with his take that "it has been made painfully obvious that some of the posters here are terrified of anyone with an original thought*"?

*I did him a favor and corrected his typo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:15 am 

Read this past week a major drag on Audacy's profits company wide has been pro sports team broadcasting rights. The Cubs future with the Score will be interesting to watch as they sell assets to try to save the sinking ship.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:37 am 

pizza_Place: What??
vitoscotti wrote:
Read this past week a major drag on Audacy's profits company wide has been pro sports team broadcasting rights. The Cubs future with the Score will be interesting to watch as they sell assets to try to save the sinking ship.

That's the crux of it. Radio rights to pro sports is a huge money loser and there isn't a chance in hell other programming can piggyback it. Not these days.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Bankruptcy will allow them to jettison rights deals

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:55 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

But is the decline in listeners and attention due to disdain that people have for the Score or have people just moved on to other listening options? With the number and variety of podcasts available, everyone can listen to the specific topic or show they prefer whenever they want. This isn't 2005 when the options on the radio when you got in the car were AM news, FM music, or The Score/ESPN. I don't listen to the Score at all anymore but it's not because of wokeness or some other issue I have with the hosts, I'd just prefer to listen to specific podcasts about hockey or Nascar or politics or science rather than how the Bears look in training camp or what the Cubs chances are for a wildcard spot. Another question- has regional sports lost any of its appeal due to being able to easily watch and follow any team in the world?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Their listener base seems fine. It is the ad market.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:41 am 

Always interesting to hear the ads when you stream a show, found it odd that for a time they were playing Sally Beauty Supply ads on the WSCR streams, not exactly the target audience you would expect, but mostly the ads are for other podcasts, does not seem Audacy could be charging much for these ads.

Streaming WMVP is odd because the TuneIn app will randomly insert ads during the middle of segments.

Moving to a direct to consumer model for talk radio seems iffy at best, you are not having a ton of ratings success right now and you are giving away the product for free.

Starting to find some of the Bears specific Pods are becoming rather cumbersome to listen to as the hosts feel the need to drone on and on about anything and everything before giving you any relevant content, find myself hitting the fast forward button often, but still far more user friendly than wasting time listening to the dolts on WSCR stumble around trying to give you any relevant content.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Maybe a lot of people listened when Bernsie said if you don’t like it change the station.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The few sponsors they have aren't even bothering to update their ads. Last week I heard "Chicago's big race is just around the corner" several times.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:58 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

It's almost impossible to get new posters here. Younger people don't really use traditional message boards. Sports radio isn't relevant. They listen to Joe Rogan and Barstool and Pat McAfee and post on those sites.

The Score could have monetized fan content too but they were not progressive enough to do it. Boards like this filled that niche.

The only way to get more users here would be to prioritize Chicago sports teams and advertise but even then you come chicitysports.com that mostly seems to be people talking to each other on Twitter anyways.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
A lot of the ads I get on the stream are Pittsburgh specific so it’s strange to me how that gets accounted.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:12 am 

Audacy lost a number of large clients that it acquired... Podcasting revenue dipped a staggering 23 percent for this quarter, according to the Radio+Television Business Report.
8/11/23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:35 am 

Brick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

It's almost impossible to get new posters here. Younger people don't really use traditional message boards. Sports radio isn't relevant. They listen to Joe Rogan and Barstool and Pat McAfee and post on those sites.

The Score could have monetized fan content too but they were not progressive enough to do it. Boards like this filled that niche.

The only way to get more users here would be to prioritize Chicago sports teams and advertise but even then you come chicitysports.com that mostly seems to be people talking to each other on Twitter anyways.

There is still a massive number of dudes my age that listen periodically, but most of them are busy and do not have time for the political and filler stuff you hear on air and are moving to pods for content specific stuff. They mostly interact on the Pod sites, it certainly cuts down on the stuff here.

Still think this is a good place for content specific aggregation, can usually see if anything is popping just by skimming the team sections.

There are some OG's here that give you a bit of perspective you may not get elsewhere, and many here have the shared experience of listening to Chicago sports talk radio for decades, different ideas on what makes good and bad radio, but still a commonality and commonality is what humans tend to seek.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:40 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Well, will they? Mitch hires the best!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 10:26 am 

What?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:50 am 

pizza_Place: JJ Twigs
Clawmaster wrote:
Brick wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

There is still a massive number of dudes my age that listen periodically, but most of them are busy and do not have time for the political and filler stuff you hear on air and are moving to pods for content specific stuff. They mostly interact on the Pod sites, it certainly cuts down on the stuff here.

Still think this is a good place for content specific aggregation, can usually see if anything is popping just by skimming the team sections.

There are some OG's here that give you a bit of perspective you may not get elsewhere, and many here have the shared experience of listening to Chicago sports talk radio for decades, different ideas on what makes good and bad radio, but still a commonality and commonality is what humans tend to seek.

The Score has lost a lot to podcasts, but the one thing they have going for them that they do not utilize is that the shows are live. Most every show has decided that taking callers is beneath them and that no one likes callers. A lot of callers are awful radio but you need the volume of callers to sift thru to get to the good ones and the good ones can live forever.

Another thing they have going for them because of the live nature of the shows is disagreement and debate. Not just one host saying in the tone of Haugh "I disagree", but actual, heated disagreement. Unfortunately, they either have decided workplace harmony is more important or that people actually don't want to hear that but there are multiple instances of complete nonsense being spewed every day that just goes unchecked. Hell, almost the entire station was an Aaron Rodgers love fest the day after the I own you game, yet I don't know a single Bears fan in real life that doesn't hate Rodgers. Bottom line, they're in a heavily insulated echo chamber. Even the twitch chat is heavily, heavily moderated. The text line should be ripe for opposing view points but Bernstein/LoHo just pick the lowest hanging fruit possible from there.

Boers and Bernstein used to have a really loyal fanbase, I don't think any show on the station is even close to that and will ever get there with the way the shows are run now.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Warren Newson wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

I've been through this with Claw earlier in the summer, and there's no point in doing it again. I don't know, maybe I'm completely out of step with the board, but does anyone else agree with his take that "it has been made painfully obvious that some of the posters here are terrified of anyone with an original thought*"?

*I did him a favor and corrected his typo.

At some point, we're all blankety-blanks and we all get defensive, but I've seen give-and-take on this board. I know that I come to this board looking for alternative takes. It amazes me how narrow my focus and understanding of everything are.

I would also argue that, politically speaking, we usually know what some of the Score hosts will say before they say it, so it is not always worth listening to. Of course, their cliche responses to the world provoke cliche responses in us, if we are not careful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Ricky11Slade wrote:
Unfortunately, they either have decided workplace harmony is more important or that people actually don't want to hear that but there are multiple instances of complete nonsense being spewed every day that just goes unchecked.

It's that corporate drive for staying "on point with our messaging," for attempting to flatten, brand, and sell ideas and language. It's really annoying, and frankly a progenitor of AI.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:41 pm 

The score got famous because of angry meatballs on air and they got rid of the angry meatballs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
blackhawksfan wrote:
Well, will they? Mitch hires the best!

They need a Senor Editor

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next