It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:50 pm 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
I had to look up Matt Blair's stats because I wanted to make sure I wasn't overembellishing what I saw as a kid. I couldn't find game by game stats, but the guy had 20 (!!!) blocked kicks in his careers, so figure at least 3-4 against the Bears. I don't think the Bears have blocked 20 kicks in this century.

right. the bears got smart and got an ex-viking in alan page. page blocked a chester marcol FG attempt in green bay and the ball came right fucking back to marcol - who ran it in for the winning overtime TD. it's darkest right before the dawn. bears' wilderness.

vikings were blocking our kicks and we lose and when we blocked a packer kick with an ex-viking, we lose.

I can still remember that goofy bastard crying afterwards and the damn announcer crowing Chester Marcol over and over. :eye:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:56 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
BigW72 wrote:
I've never liked Pat Hughes. That's right....I said it. I don't hate the Cubs, so I say this fairly objectively

Cone-treras. Adam Ea-Ton. I can't stand him. Sing songy doosh. I hate the Cub.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Nardi wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
I've never liked Pat Hughes. That's right....I said it. I don't hate the Cubs, so I say this fairly objectively

Cone-treras. Adam Ea-Ton. I can't stand him. Sing songy doosh. I hate the Cub.

I am a Cub fan but I think he is overrated. He is the Harold Baines of baseball radio PBP guys.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Drysdale / Hawk was 1982 - 85.....I was just hitting the teen years where I wasn't watching much baseball.

That pairing was pretty fantastic. Drysdale as PBP really underrated.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:57 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
Johnny Morris on bears games in my youth was great. For you kids out there, the nfc was on CBS and the non national games were broadcast by the same people for the entire season. It was like a local broadcast every week

When there weren’t blackouts and Venture had to buy 3500 tickets.

I remember my dad watching a Bob Newhart episode centered around them going away to Milwaukee or somewhere out of market so that they could watch the game. I was confused. Now that I'm older, I'm even more confused. Why not just buy tickets?

It used to be that all the home games were blacked out whether the game sold out or not. The famous example is Giants fans having to pick up the home games off the Hartford-New Haven CBS affiliate. The NFL didn't realize this was stupid until the early '70s.

good dolphin wrote:
Didn't Soldier Field also have a capacity of around 80K back then as well, with that last 20K far away with bad sight lines?

I think the endzone stands that cut off the end of the seating bowl came in from Wrigley, so it always would have been around 65-66k for the Bears. Maybe more for the Chicago Cardinals.

EDIT: upon looking it up, the last year of universal home-game blackouts was 1972. That's a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:17 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
Regular Reader wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
I had to look up Matt Blair's stats because I wanted to make sure I wasn't overembellishing what I saw as a kid. I couldn't find game by game stats, but the guy had 20 (!!!) blocked kicks in his careers, so figure at least 3-4 against the Bears. I don't think the Bears have blocked 20 kicks in this century.

right. the bears got smart and got an ex-viking in alan page. page blocked a chester marcol FG attempt in green bay and the ball came right fucking back to marcol - who ran it in for the winning overtime TD. it's darkest right before the dawn. bears' wilderness.

vikings were blocking our kicks and we lose and when we blocked a packer kick with an ex-viking, we lose.

I can still remember that goofy bastard crying afterwards and the damn announcer crowing Chester Marcol over and over. :eye:

good therapy. i just watched the video and like you said, it was chester marcol, chester marcol and chester marcol. that damn announcer was lindsey nelson. things evened out, just a bit...a few months later, that 1980 thanksgiving was the dave williams overtime kick-off return winner.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:29 am 

NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

good therapy. i just watched the video and like you said, it was chester marcol, chester marcol and chester marcol. that damn announcer was lindsey nelson. things evened out, just a bit...a few months later, that 1980 thanksgiving was the dave williams overtime kick-off return winner.

Was that the same year as the glorious 61-7 game?

But we won't mention the Bubba Baker game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:55 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
swirsk and ray meyer calling depaul. they were a great combo.

That's a good one. Forgot about them.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Hawkeye Vince wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
swirsk and ray meyer calling depaul. they were a great combo.

That's a good one. Forgot about them.

Swirsky is very good.
Still....Mac imitating Swirsky is even better. :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:01 am 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
BigW72 wrote:
Drysdale / Hawk was 1982 - 85.....I was just hitting the teen years where I wasn't watching much baseball.

That pairing was pretty fantastic. Drysdale as PBP really underrated.

i believe the sox went to ontv or whatever it was called, at that time. not as many saw and heard the tv sox broadcasts. prior, channel 44 was grainy, but harry and piersall were can't miss tv.

i agree, drysdale was a very good broadcaster. i'm thinking his chicago footprint was small, due to the sox pay tv. you're also correct about losing total interest in sports by the teen years..mine occurred around 1980, stopped buying baseball cards. by 1981, girls mattered, not the neil armstrong show at 1100 on sundays.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:22 am 

Regular Reader wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
NWsider4-3-3 wrote:

Was that the same year as the glorious 61-7 game?

But we won't mention the Bubba Baker game.

I believe in the three Bear-Packer games before the 61-7 game, the Bears offense scored zero touchdowns and had one touchdown total. Then they score 9 in one game.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:28 am 

I happened to come upon a video from a '81 game between the Sox and Angels. It was only about 24 minutes but Harry and Jimmy were ornery. They criticized both teams, managers, umpires TV crew, it was quite entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dstZo6tMYQU

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:14 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Had a long period in my life as a kid where we were too broke for cable, so took in a lot of play by play on my AM clock radio.

The old school Cubs radio had a traditional baseball vibe with Lloyd and Boudreau, they really didn't need a goof like Zaidman fake laughing in the background, just gave you a picture of while knowing when to jump in with a bit of energy in key points, this skill is severely lacking with the Syracuse guys that do play by play these days. The current Cubs TV broadcast pales in comparison to any of old WGN stuff, it's unlistenable at this point, usually just turn down the sound.

Loved Foley in his prime, he was at his best doing games with Dale where again, they knew when to raise the level during key points in games, Foley would raise his cadence and change inflection at the end of games to give you a feel for frantic goal mouth scrambles, do not find that anymore as they all copy the Tennessee Tuxedo (Mike Emerick) style of pumping up average US born players and missing key momentum shifts in games. Catch local play by play stuff on NHL Network and all US local broadcast suffer from the same issue, the TSN stuff is far better as they are not afraid to call out players.

Larrivee was way better than Joniak, odd to see an East Coast Emerson College guy working rural Wisconsin people with his "dagger" catchphrase. Remember very well the days where the Bears were always Ryan and Morris, Ryan always seemed disinterested, but in his defense the Bears sucked until in the early 1980s, Payton was all they had to talk about.

Bulls will always be Red Kerr and Durham, Stacey King basically copies Red Kerr, and it makes him tolerable, do like Amin as well.

Was quite young when Harry did Sox, but did catch Hawk and Drysdale, agree they were the best the Sox have every had.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: guardis
1. Duane Dow
2. Julie DiCaro
3. Jim Rose
4. Howard Sudberry
5. Josh Lewin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:24 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
Lloyd Petit
Jim West

ask your dad

I'm right with you.

Edit: And I'll add Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreau.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
CptnToxic wrote:
1. Duane Dow
2. Julie DiCaro
3. Jim Rose
4. Howard Sudberry
5. Josh Lewin

Duane is the man!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:47 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
CptnToxic wrote:
1. Duane Dow
2. Julie DiCaro
3. Jim Rose
4. Howard Sudberry
5. Josh Lewin

Duane is the man!

None of the others in that list are men.

Josh Lewin? What the fuck dude?