It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:47 am 

Ginger Haired Genius sitting in for Haugh today.

"...but he (JR) brought you a championship."

He very quietly is the most obsequious "talent" at the station. I know Bruce would have called him Mr. Reinsdorf, but not even he would have the gall to justify the last 40+ years of disdainful treatment of White Sox fans with one championship.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
The idea that Williams and Reinsdorf "brought a championship" is technically correct, but it happened by accident after they slashed payroll. If you're actually trying to win a championship you don't trade Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik and replace Magglio Ordonez with Jermaine Dye.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:32 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The idea that Williams and Reinsdorf "brought a championship" is technically correct, but it happened by accident after they slashed payroll. If you're actually trying to win a championship you don't trade Carlos Lee for Scott Podsednik and replace Magglio Ordonez with Jermaine Dye.

Kenny was always aggressive. It felt like he was trying to win every year. I'm still pissed Uncle Jerry vetoed a Cabrera deal because he didn't want to assume Dontrelle Willis' contract.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Kenny was always aggressive. It felt like he was trying to win every year. I'm still pissed Uncle Jerry vetoed a Cabrera deal because he didn't want to assume Dontrelle Willis' contract.

But he paid for your coffee once in 1983.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:20 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

My biggest problem with Kenny is that he keeps trying to draft himself which requires ignoring the fact that he was a failure as a player. Billy Beane is about the same age as Kenny and was as highly regarded as a player and he learned from his own experience not to try to draft himself.

Kenny drafted all those guys with football skills and none of them made it until Anderson. And that's why he's so attached to Tim Anderson. He's the first one who has shown any ability at all to hit at the big league level. But they'd be better off trading him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
My biggest problem with Kenny is that he keeps trying to draft himself which requires ignoring the fact that he was a failure as a player. Billy Beane is about the same age as Kenny and was as highly regarded as a player and he learned from his own experience not to try to draft himself.

Kenny drafted all those guys with football skills and none of them made it until Anderson. And that's why he's so attached to Tim Anderson. He's the first one who has shown any ability at all to hit at the big league level. But they'd be better off trading him.

I had to go find this quote...it's about first-round draft pick Kennyn Walker, from about 2011. From his college's newspaper:

"Walker has been a two-sport athlete all of his life and didn’t have much baseball experience, spending falls as a lockdown cornerback who had 11 interceptions his junior season in high school."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:25 am 

good dolphin wrote:

He very quietly is the most obsequious "talent" at the station. I know Bruce would have called him Mr. Reinsdorf, but not even he would have the gall to justify the last 40+ years of disdainful treatment of White Sox fans with one championship.

I listen to the station so infrequently now that I can’t remember guy’s name.

And after the last two seasons I don’t even want to talk about 2005

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:49 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

I listen to the station so infrequently now that I can’t remember guy’s name.

And after the last two seasons I don’t even want to talk about 2005

in which I ranketh the most disappointing or frustrating Sox seasons as a fan:

2022 (obvious)
2016 (first place, then garbage)
2021 (Got to 20 games over and sat there for three months; had nothing in playoffs)
2006 (Brian Anderson ruined the team; Vasquez sucked, Politte and Cotts lost it)
1991/1992 (tie; it was the same shit; free agent of Charlie Hough; Fletcher, Sax, no)
'83 (playoffs only)
2012 (Robin almost pulled it off, but no offense....first place all season, too)
2010 (the win-steak team died in Septiembre)
2001 (pathetic; David Wells, fat moron; Frank hurt)
2003 (Good team with a bunch of HoFers all past their prime)
1985 (That was a good team)
1993 (a winning team does not have a Pasqua/Bo-sized hole)

Jesus, my life has been pain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I remember being incredibly frustrated by those early 00's teams. They had a feast or famine offense that relied too much on the homerun. Therefore, I wasn't up in arms about trading Carlos Lee and trying to set up an offense that could manufacture some runs when the ball wasn't flying out of the park.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
But that team still scored overwhelmingly by the home run.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:31 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nas wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

When you have 90 draft picks, I don't mind a few makeup guys. 90% of the guys won't be major league players. Organizations like the Dodgers and Astros may have a 70% hit rate.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:33 pm 

@Nas: His first-round draft picks were all pretty bad with the exception of Sale. Hahn has been slightly better. Both traded away good young talent, though.

@Deacon: El Caballo was such a wus. I remember the game in 2004 when he refused to take out Torii Hunter. Ozzie and apparently a few of his teammates were a little pissed. I know it sounds meatball, but good riddance. The Twins came in a half-game ahead and even taunted the Sox for being more talented but not seeming to care, and then Hunter knocked over the Sox catcher (Jamie Burke??). Zero retaliation. They got swept.

Edit: Packed house, too. Ya gotta take advantage of that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Curious Hair wrote:

I'm going solely off of memory here, but I recall that season being a tale of two seasons from a scoring standpoint. During the first two or three months of the year, Podsednik was getting on base and stealing bases like a fiend. Then he got hurt, the running game basically stopped, and they reverted back to scoring off of the long ball.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:09 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I'm going solely off of memory here, but I recall that season being a tale of two seasons from a scoring standpoint. During the first two or three months of the year, Podsednik was getting on base and stealing bases like a fiend. Then he got hurt, the running game basically stopped, and they reverted back to scoring off of the long ball.

That is true from what I remember. I wasn't sure if CH was talking about the earlier Sox teams; I think one set the record for homers.

The '05 team was amazing right out of the gate--24-7, held the lead in a MLB-record amount of games....the '83 team had power but also always had men on base, from what I remember.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Sox fell into the same thing the Bears and Hawks did, overpaid guys for potential rather than production, and then were stuck with long term deals for guys who quickly began to underperform their contracts.

Rarely see a professional baseball play defense as poorly as the White Sox did last year, they regularly gave the opposition extra outs, good teams regularly exposed them simply by putting the ball in play.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:46 pm 

Turned on the SCORE Today for the afternoon show. Hear the awfulness of ZZ and turn it immediately off. No thank you.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2022 3:50 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
RFDC wrote:
Turned on the SCORE Today for the afternoon show. Hear the awfulness of ZZ and turn it immediately off. No thank you.

Good move, it was an entire rant for a simple point.