It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: B96 goes half-classic
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:44 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Top 40 now being a dead format on par with beautiful music/easy listening, B96 is now "the best of what's new and what you loved" or something. Couple things here:

When 104.3 Jams launched, I said that the smarter play was to make B96 the classic rhythmic station and have a new top 40 at 104.3 with a fresh brand, since "B96" still means something to people even if the music they've been playing doesn't. "104.3 Now" or something, who cares.

Going half-classic makes B96 half-redundant with Jams. 104.3 The Score?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Roseangela's
Radio Insight wrote:
Audacy began the revamp of CHR “B96” WBBM-FM Chicago today as the station moved to a 50/50 gold to current/recurrent presentation with a Rhythmic lean.

With sweepers proclaiming “Chicago’s favorite radio station is back,” B96 is now positioning as “The music you’ve always loved and the best of what’s new”. The station has also returned to the logo it used throughout out much of the 2000s and 2010s.

The 10am hour of B96 featured:

TLC – Waterfalls
Glass Animals – Heat Waves
Nelly – E.I.
Doja Cat ft. Sza – Kiss Me More
Montell Jordan – This Is How We Do It
Beyonce – Crazy In Love
Metro Boomin ft. The Weeknd and 21 Savage – Creepin’
2Pac/Dr. Dre – California Love
Taylor Swift – Anti Hero
Steve Lacy – Bad Habit
Missy Elliot – Work It
T.I. ft. Rihanna – Live Your Life
Miguel – Sure Thing

WBBM-FM is currently tied for nineteenth in the Chicago market with a 1.9 share trailing iHeartMedia’s “103.5 Kiss-FM” WKSC and its 2.7.

The changes at B96 follow the departure of longtime programmer Todd Cavanah after 33 years at the station and the arrival of Molly Cruz to succeed him. There were expectations of this move taking place last month as part of larger changes at Audacy’s Chicago cluster that have so far not come to fruition.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
Can I still call and dedicate because i love you by stevie b to my boyfriend in 7th grade?

I liked Z95 too, maybe a little better. I loved the top 40 countdown every week still catch the reruns randomly on Sirius. Fun little look back.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 5:53 pm 

Playlist still looks too light on the Party Radio years, which is the same problem 104.3 created for itself. It's not classic B96 without Real McCoy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Spaulding wrote:
Can I still call and dedicate because i love you by stevie b to my boyfriend in 7th grade?

I liked Z95 too, maybe a little better. I loved the top 40 countdown every week still catch the reruns randomly on Sirius. Fun little look back.

Middle School teacher vibe...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Gourmet Pizza by Carlo
Curious Hair wrote:
Playlist still looks too light on the Party Radio years, which is the same problem 104.3 created for itself. It's not classic B96 without Real McCoy.

Disagree, if we're going classic B-96/Z-95 era, we're missing such classics as Black Box Strike It Up and Timmy T One More Try. Real McCoy feels mid 90's and outside of B-96/Z-95 heyday.

That said, Curious Hair would love for you to regale us with the history of Z-95. I remember it ending and turning into HELL for a few weeks, and I think the Hit Machine in the morning and Alan Kabel in the evenings.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 6:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I don't remember much of Z-95 after, say 1986 or so. Came in a little bit better than b96 out in western burbs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:09 pm 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Disagree, if we're going classic B-96/Z-95 era, we're missing such classics as Black Box Strike It Up and Timmy T One More Try. Real McCoy feels mid 90's and outside of B-96/Z-95 heyday.

B96 was huge in the 80s

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:14 pm 

Thomas-Sox-WorldSeries wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

B96 was huge in the 80s

Of course it was, but not because of the Real McCoy.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:20 pm 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

B96 was huge in the 80s

I guess I found your post confusing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:28 pm 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

B96 was huge in the 80s

Listen you son of a bitch, I was just saying Curious Hair seemed to be mentioning mid 90s stuff, when in fact B96/Z95 prime was late 80s/early 90s, i.e not Real McCoy. If you find that confusing I swear to God I have no problem meeting up at the Oasis of your choice.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
B96 lost me in grade school when they did "Smash or Trash" on Fight For Your Right to Party and it was voted trash.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:31 pm 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

That said, Curious Hair would love for you to regale us with the history of Z-95. I remember it ending and turning into HELL for a few weeks, and I think the Hit Machine in the morning and Alan Kabel in the evenings.

Not too versed on Z95, a little before my time. Hell FM was a Randy Michaels stunt that failed miserably and pretty much exiled him back to Cincinnati until WGN brought him on.

Party Radio from the '90s was very much part of B96's heyday, though. That was when they had their dance show on channel 26, which I highly recommend revisiting on YouTube.

I think the decline started when they moved away from dance in the late '90s to chase GCI and later 103.5 Kiss FM. They were able to wallpaper over a lot of that lost audience with Eddie & JoBo but that could only go so far. But 1993-1996, they were definitely at the top of their game, and that was even with Eddie & JoBo still in exile for the Joan Esposito business (RIP, T.J. and/or Wild Bill).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:38 pm 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

B96 was huge in the 80s

Listen you son of a bitch, I was just saying Curious Hair seemed to be mentioning mid 90s stuff, when in fact B96/Z95 prime was late 80s/early 90s, i.e not Real McCoy. If you find that confusing I swear to God I have no problem meeting up at the Oasis of your choice.

In my defense, it's hard to think when you have the opening of "Another Night" pounding in your head.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:42 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfY1UwAE3xU

I regret that the Booty Call Lyrics Project is offline and gone without a trace.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Weren't Welch and Woody on Z95? I want to say Open House Party was as well. Somewhere in the basement, I have several tapes with songs recorded off of Z95.

Last edited by Warren Newson on Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:50 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfY1UwAE3xU

I regret that the Booty Call Lyrics Project is offline and gone without a trace.

I know that music is sposed to pump you up, but you drive to that stuff and you get hypnotized and miss your exits over and over. I ended up in Wisconsin because of that very pro-grum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:53 pm 

Quoting you Thomas, but not really because apparently I quoted too many things to post, but -

Hahaha, in my world, "Another Night" was vintage Joe's (UIUC) circa 1994.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 8:04 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
That's like the slogan for The Spectrum on SiriusXM. "Rock music for those who appreciate where it's been, and a curiosity for where it's going".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:05 pm 

Franky T wrote:
That's like the slogan for The Spectrum on SiriusXM. "Rock music for those who appreciate where it's been, and a curiosity for where it's going".

"Vance Joy songs to sit through between R.E.M. and the Pretenders"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:07 pm 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Quoting you Thomas, but not really because apparently I quoted too many things to post, but -

HOLD UP. In one of my posts, I started talking about exactly this (hearing the song at Joe's). I erased it and said something else, but still . . .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:25 pm 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:

HOLD UP. In one of my posts, I started talking about exactly this (hearing the song at Joe's). I erased it and said something else, but still . . .

Love it! My best recollection of Joe's (besides the above) from 1994-1998 was taking over the mantle of American Pie/You Shook Me All Night Long. Whenever I hear American Pie these days, which is not all that often, I still sing to myself "Drinking beer with my fucked up friends". It's not a great mantle.

Last edited by Sneakers O'Toole on Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:12 am 

Will this by like JackFM where they yell at you that they are going to play their choice of music and not yours and you can't stop them and STFU and take it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Brick wrote:
Will this by like JackFM where they yell at you that they are going to play their choice of music and not yours and you can't stop them and STFU and take it?

The Jason Goff approach to radio programming.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:08 am 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

B96 was huge in the 80s

:lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:10 am 

Sneakers IS the Real McCoy.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:34 am 

This Ends in Antioch wrote:
Brick wrote:

The Jason Goff approach to radio programming.

Goff FM's core artist is the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 5:36 pm 

Sneakers O'Toole wrote:
Sneakers O'Toole wrote:

Love it! My best recollection of Joe's (besides the above) from 1994-1998 was taking over the mantle of American Pie/You Shook Me All Night Long. Whenever I hear American Pie these days, which is not all that often, I still sing to myself "Drinking beer with my fucked up friends". It's not a great mantle.

Nice! I was just leaving in '94.....but whenever I hear Real McCoy or "Rhythm is a Dancer," I am almost instantly transported back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 7:13 pm 

The mid-'90s were great for Chicago radio because there was no top 40 station. I think some program guides may have listed WBBM-FM as such out of habit, but no, it was dance and some hip-hop/R&B but nothing gays and Puerto Rican girls wouldn't appreciate. I remember that was the big marketing push for Kiss FM when it started: no more having to switch between stations to hear all the hit singles.

This is what I think of when I think of uniquely B96 songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W27YUmG1nM0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MmLCj5QXdQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksxGXSon9BQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19HT0w1uW4A
and of course https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hoh3i03ncZ4

I wish I could say that this takes me back to my life of debauchery in disused Humboldt Park warehouses, but mostly it reminds me of my mom driving me to the library. Maybe the reason they won't dust off the dance hits is because everyone else who liked them is dead :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:45 am 

KDdidit wrote:
B96 lost me in grade school when they did "Smash or Trash" on Fight For Your Right to Party and it was voted trash.

I think the divergence really started with The Barsky Morning Zoo