It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:37 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
https://freebeacon.com/policy/a-small-b ... -after-it/

Quote:
Other statements the agency cited were blunt but boilerplate. "You drive very fast through Markham," former Townstone president David Hochberg said on a 2014 broadcast, referring to a majority-black Chicago suburb that experiences more crime than 95 percent of American cities. "You don't look at anybody or lock on anybody's eyes." On a November 2017 broadcast, a Townstone employee likened the "rush" of skydiving to "walking through the South Side at 3 a.m."

The agency also chided the hosts for stating, in January 2014, that listeners should "take down the Confederate flag" before putting their homes on the market—guidance that reflects the official policy of the National Association of Realtors, which says displaying a Confederate flag may violate housing discrimination law.

"The Townstone Financial Show has regularly included statements that would discourage African-American prospective applicants from applying for mortgage loans," the lawsuit said. And its "home-selling advice has included recommendations regarding displays of the Confederate flag."

Conversely,
Quote:
On a 2017 episode of Townstone's radio show, Sturner referred to a grocery store in the South Side of Chicago, Jewel-Osco, as "Jungle Jewel," adding that it was "a scary place" with patrons "from all over the world."

The agency cited the nickname as an example of language that "would discourage" minorities "from applying for credit." In fact, the jungle moniker has been widely used by black Chicagoans themselves, one of whom told Kleimann Communication Group that Sturner's comments were "reliable and helpful," according to the firm's report.

I thought the Jungle Jewel was on Division, though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:03 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Well Bernsie backs him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Big Heads Pizza
The investigation and the suit occurred during the Trump administration, under a Trump appointee, yet the photo is of a Biden-era bureaucrat. Sad!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:06 pm 

So Hochberg only bothers white people?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:33 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Curious Hair wrote:
https://freebeacon.com/policy/a-small-business-complained-about-crime-in-chicago-then-the-feds-came-after-it/

Quote:
Other statements the agency cited were blunt but boilerplate. "You drive very fast through Markham," former Townstone president David Hochberg said on a 2014 broadcast, referring to a majority-black Chicago suburb that experiences more crime than 95 percent of American cities. "You don't look at anybody or lock on anybody's eyes." On a November 2017 broadcast, a Townstone employee likened the "rush" of skydiving to "walking through the South Side at 3 a.m."

The agency also chided the hosts for stating, in January 2014, that listeners should "take down the Confederate flag" before putting their homes on the market—guidance that reflects the official policy of the National Association of Realtors, which says displaying a Confederate flag may violate housing discrimination law.

"The Townstone Financial Show has regularly included statements that would discourage African-American prospective applicants from applying for mortgage loans," the lawsuit said. And its "home-selling advice has included recommendations regarding displays of the Confederate flag."

Conversely,
Quote:
On a 2017 episode of Townstone's radio show, Sturner referred to a grocery store in the South Side of Chicago, Jewel-Osco, as "Jungle Jewel," adding that it was "a scary place" with patrons "from all over the world."

The agency cited the nickname as an example of language that "would discourage" minorities "from applying for credit." In fact, the jungle moniker has been widely used by black Chicagoans themselves, one of whom told Kleimann Communication Group that Sturner's comments were "reliable and helpful," according to the firm's report.

I thought the Jungle Jewel was on Division, though.

I bet this guy has the best email forwards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Flying the Stars and Bars in Markham would be a bold choice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Brick wrote:
So Hochberg only bothers white people?

I heard him on with Joan Esposito late last year and he stated that people shouldn't concern themselves with the total cost but instead focus on the payments. That seemed counterintuitive to any financial advice I'd heard before.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
So the confederate flag is a racist symbol, but telling people selling their house to not fly a racist symbol during the listing period is...discriminatory? And not even in the "how dare you not tolerate my intolerance" kind of way, but in an unironic "it's discriminatory to discourage displaying racist imagery to the people who would be discriminated against by the imagery" kind of way. What in the absolute fuck are we doing to ourselves?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The title made me think Caller Bob, but the credit score is a buck fifty too high.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
So the confederate flag is a racist symbol, but telling people selling their house to not fly a racist symbol during the listing period is...discriminatory? And not even in the "how dare you not tolerate my intolerance" kind of way, but in an unironic "it's discriminatory to discourage displaying racist imagery to the people who would be discriminated against by the imagery" kind of way. What in the absolute fuck are we doing to ourselves?

The offending statements, plucked from five episodes recorded over a three-year period, included a reference to the South Side of Chicago as a "war zone," as well as a recommendation that home sellers "take down the Confederate flag." Merely mentioning the flag, the agency argued, could scare off black applicants.

Facing a possible lawsuit and potentially stiff penalties, Townstone in 2019 retained a consumer testing firm, Kleimann Communication Group, to see if the remarks did in fact alienate African Americans.

The results were reassuring: Not a single black Chicagoan interviewed by the firm found the radio segments offensive, according to a copy of the firm's report obtained by the Washington Free Beacon. Some even said they were more inclined to use Townstone for mortgages after hearing its employees' banter, which they found funny and relatable.

But in July 2020—two months after the death of George Floyd—the bureau sued Townstone anyway

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis

I don’t think that you’re allowed to question the absurdity of that logic white man.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:35 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza

Intolerance of my intolerance is intolerance. I thought we liked that logic here.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I'm not going to get into what is or isn't discriminatory about "don't forget to take down your Confederate flag," I just want to bask in the distinctly Hochbergian weirdness of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Is this why Hochberg moved from Townstone to other lenders?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:45 pm 

Can I get a ruling on the lawn jockey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:30 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Up here in Waushara county WI on one of my bike routes at least two stars and bars are displayed promentantly and a neighbor has a lawn jockey front and center.

"God, guns and Trump," "F*&K Biden" and other such flags, too numerous to count.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:47 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
a genius wrote:
Up here in Waushara county WI on one of my bike routes at least two stars and bars are displayed promentantly and a neighbor has a lawn jockey front and center.

"God, guns and Trump," "F*&K Biden" and other such flags, too numerous to count.

There are "Fuck Biden" signs up all over New Hampshire and Western Massachusetts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:15 am 

whats wrong with a 650 credit score

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
he can't help if you don't call

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
The Jungle Jewel was the Wal-Mart on West Touhy during the double-(n)aughts; overrun with south Asian immigrants who would bring all 4 generations of their family to the store to shop every time; blocking aisles, embolismally standing in queue together, making the checkout lines snake through the clothing department in an infinite chutes-and-ladders maze structure that made determining the terminal point of any individual line nigh-impossible.