It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Check Coppock suspended
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:41 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
Chet suspended for offensive comment towards Jewish individuals.

Pulling his pants down, making offensive comments, and in my opinion not being that great of a host - any reason why this guy should still have a job at WMVP?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 0048.story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Good thing he didn't say anything about flim-flamming.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:40 pm 

M wrote:
Chet suspended for offensive comment towards Jewish individuals.

Pulling his pants down, making offensive comments, and in my opinion not being that great of a host - any reason why this guy should still have a job at WMVP?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 0048.story

Like I said in another thread on the same subject:

HEY, That's my Replacement(on WLS ND Pre and Post)and former Teammate you're talking about!

Then again,just about EVEYONE is a one time teammate

Sensitive,aren't they!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:18 pm 
1000 CLUB

hey! let me be Keeping Score for a minute: Chet Coppock = Gloopan Kuratz - MATCH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:15 am 
1000 CLUB

Grobber,

I think it is a foolish move for WMVP to continue the employment of Chet Coppock over you. You and Bruce doing the saturday baseball show, in addition to you and maybe Carmen or Mongo doing the Sunday Bears show would absolutely be badass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:34 pm 

all these people are just saying what we all think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:39 pm 

pizza_Place: Duneland Pizza
I want another melding of T-Dub and The Grobber :roll:
Bruce and Les -- together. That show is better suited for WGN.
I'd rather listen to Tom from Hanover Park and Les.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

I actually really liked Saturday morning TDub and Grobber show on WMVP. I am in the minority with that one though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:02 pm 

M wrote:
I actually really liked Saturday morning TDub and Grobber show on WMVP. I am in the minority with that one though.

Based on the reaction we got(and still do four years later),you may not be in the minority. Two people killed that show(Len Weiner and Tom Seratella). Mitch Rosen put us on together in Oct 2002,but left ESPN 1000 a few Months later. Weiner came in from Bristol and was there to protect the Network shows. So that show was killed in late Aug 2003.
He let T-Dub go but told me he wanted me to stay on,but the problem was he said he had no 'hosting,anchoring,or reporting' for me to do.
After wasting 8 months waiting for Len to do something(which he never intended to do with myself),I quit. Too bad,because he left shortly thereafter. Mitch talked about me doing overnights on 1000 in Jan 2003,but was blocked by the Network since they didn't want to pre-empt the 'great' Todd Wright.
Ironically, the last shift I did there was with Bruce from Turner Field for 90 minutes before the Cubs-Braves NLDS opener.
At some point I may get another chance to host again,but there is nothing close to that on the horizon. It's in Management's 'corner'.
I do look forward to my second season on Radio Play by Play with the Chicago Sky this Summer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:21 pm 
1000 CLUB

You ever think some of these other non sports stations might go against their formats for a local overnight sports show? I gotta believe that will make more money for them over whatever else they have for overnights.

They can go back to their regular format for the rest of the day. Some station should think outside the box. In a big city like Chicago some station should put local sports talk over night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:54 pm 

Hey grobber - you still talk to TDub? How's he doing in Indiana?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:54 am 
1000 CLUB

Grobber, I second Hawkeye's question. I too often wonder what the good ol' Big Partner is up to and how he's doing these days. Perhaps, maybe someone can direct him to this message board??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:37 am 

Tommy is the public address announcer for the GarySouthshore RailCats baseball team. He also does radio in NW Indiana, and he writes for the Post-Tribune.
"I love it when you call him Big Pardner".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:30 am 

[quote="grobber33He let T-Dub go but told me he wanted me to stay on,but the problem was he said he had no 'hosting,anchoring,or reporting' for me to do.
.[/quote]

Did he try to take your Swingline?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:51 am 

Tommy was always ok with me. He had a tough shift to give him a constant listen, but when I did, I found him to be reasonably knowledgeable and good with callers which at the end of the day is what you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
TDub did nights on the score way back in the days, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:36 pm 

Was anyone offended by Chets comment?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:04 pm 

He'll talk NBA basketball with you, but the questions had to be about The Big Dog.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
schmitty1121 wrote:
Was anyone offended by Chets comment?

As a partial jewish person, only partially...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:14 pm 

I personally wasn't offended by it, but I could understand how someone could take offense to the remark.
I don't believe there was an intent to be offensive, so I am not totally upset at Chet for his actions. It was just a stupid thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:43 pm 

As someone who is Jewish, I have known Chet since the 1970's and I don't think he has an anti-semitic bone in his body.
There are way too many sensitive people around today. Everyone who is around long enough will likely get suspended sooner or later since Management types are either way too sensitive,or just trying to let the World know that they are around,and in total charge. One of many things wrong with this business. People don't tune in to listen to PD's or GM's,but you would think they do the way some of them are.
And yes, I understand T-Dub is still on the air in NW Ind,and doing PA for Rail-Cats games. He should be back on the air on Chicago,but there is a ton of politics at Radio Stations. Trust me, nobody knows that more than I do!

Last edited by grobber33 on Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:47 pm 
1000 CLUB

Grobber is offended that the "money" stereotype doesn't apply to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:48 pm 

Beardown wrote:
Grobber is offended that the "money" stereotype doesn't apply to him.

Hell, you got THAT right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:56 pm 

Beardown, I guess you didn't mind burning that bridge with Les -- since you have no plans on sleeping with him. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:01 pm 

TB's History Teacher wrote:
Beardown, I guess you didn't mind burning that bridge with Les -- since you have no plans on sleeping with him. :wink:

See! HERE you can get away with that,but on the Radio,you'd get what? About a Month of unpaid vacation? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: ***
grobber33 wrote:
As someone who is Jewish, I have known Chet since the 1970's and I don't think he has an anti-semitic bone in his body.
There are way too many sensitive people around today. Everyone who is around long enough will likely get suspended sooner or later since Management types are either way too sensitive,or just trying to let the World know that they are around,and in total charge. One of many things wrong with this business. People don't tune in to listen to PD's or GM's,but you would think they do the way some of them are.
And yes, I understand T-Dub is still on the air in NW Ind,and doing PA for Rail-Cats games. He should be back on the air on Chicago,but there is a ton of politics at Radio Stations. Trust me, nobody knows that more than I do!

Tell me about it. You give someone else's press credentials to your girlfriend just once and they're all over you for it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:08 pm 

It was in reference to an earlier comment that Beardown made about the word "Bitch". Beardown said that he hadn't use the word to a woman in public. His reasoning was that he still wanted a chance to have sex with those women. Using that word would foul up his chances.
Irish Boy, Les will probably quibble with you about that topic.
BTW, Les why didn't you respond to my comment about Tom from Hanover Park? I was kidding about the pairing, but I thought you might reminisce about your on-air moments with him on overnights. I loved it when you play the trainwreck soundbyte when he would call.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:18 pm 

Irish Boy wrote:
grobber33 wrote:

Tell me about it. You give someone else's press credentials to your girlfriend just once and they're all over you for it!

My how a clown like Harvey Wells(ask Mac what he thinks about that guy!)can invent a reason to get rid of someone,and 6 1/2 years later that story still festers. That woman in Seattle was not my Girl Friend,or anybody else's. She was a legit free lance reporter who helped us out in the pinch with Major League Baseball's approval. I also was following instructions of our acting PD. My Girl Friend was back in Chicago,and is STILL my Girl Friend today! :P
Harvey hated my guts,tried to get rid of me several times in my 4 1/2 years there,and at last he did on July 31,2001 which happened to be 2 days before my contract expired. Co-Incidence? I think not!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:38 pm 

Irish Boy, Les will probably quibble with you about that topic.
(SEE THE POST ABOVE FOR THAT)

BTW, Les why didn't you respond to my comment about Tom from Hanover Park? I was kidding about the pairing, but I thought you might reminisce about your on-air moments with him on overnights. I loved it when you play the trainwreck soundbyte when he would call.[/quote]

Tom from 'HANGOVER PARK' was a blast as were many of our overnight callers. I've since heard him call other shows once or twice,but not the same! It's sad how a few 'regulars' have since passed away like 'Midnight Dick',& 'Rafael from Berwyn' among others. Tom(who is still alive and well I am guessing) also had a great sense of humor.
Yes I would love to be back on late night or overnight(or see TDub or SOMEONE do it),but Management at both Local Sports Stations is more interested in sticking the garbage they now are running-which saves them $$$$$(and not that much to be honest). I don't take delight in ripping Sporting News,whom I worked for,for six months, but they have changed,and are mostly not nearly as good as they once were. ESPN overnight is also unlistenable to myself,and many others,but it's obvious that the 'Uppers' at the Stations don't care just as long as they don't have National hosts say things that the Bush Administration will use to fine them.
If anyone wants to see Local Overnight,or at least until 2 or 3am,wether it's with myself or anyone,then the PD's and GM's need to receive emails,or regular mail on this. And it still may not help,but it couldn't hurt!

One last thing, when TDub and I were put on ESPN 1000 on weekends in 2002,Mitch told me he got more positive reaction to that than for any other addition or subtraction(like Huge) they had made in the six years he was the PD there. Len Weiner had other ideas(in truth,no ideas!).

Last edited by grobber33 on Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:22 pm 

I thought it was you that called him Tom from Hangover Park.
As for overnight, I really liked when Jim Daniels steered the ship. I didn't Mark Patrick, who followed for a few hours.
Daniels was moved -- then The Score stopped airing Fox Sports Radio.
I appreciate that David Stern has made some positive changes in his life. It just work for me as a sports talk radio vehicle.
Jason Smith is OK -- a former partner of Daniels -- but he doesn't take any calls. I like to hear some give and take.
I don't listen to ESPN when Smith isn't there. Bob Valvano bores me and Amy Lawrence is just plain brutal. Her voice cracks and she doesn't challenge me with her opinions -- tired rants or extremely-unoriginal thoughts.
Monty, who works on The Score on the weekends, comes off as a real jerk. Many of opinions lack a lot of substance. This is a guy who believes Roger Clemens. He called out McNamee a few days ago because he brought up HGH usage by Clemens' wife. I didn't understand why those accusations brought up so much negativity from Monty's mouth.
He's just another know-it-all that doesn't impress me with his thoughts.
I wouldn't mind hearing Meat Pants over night. I've always enjoyed his take on things -- even though he is a BoSox fan.