It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paruch's pretzel logic
PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:47 pm 

I usually enjoy whenever Paruch is on the radio but he drove me crazy tonight. During his 45 minute show he responded to a texter to the B&B show who said 'Dawson made an incredible amount of outs.' Paruch's 'argument' was all the players who made more outs than Dawson (he's 22nd all time) were in the Hall of Fame or soon to be and he specifically named Pete Rose who is the all time leader in outs made (yeah he's not a hall of famer).

I don't think Paruch grasped what the texter was trying to say. Sure, Pete Rose made a lot of outs but he had 15,861 plate appearances. Andre Dawson had 10,769. The point the texter was trying to make was that Dawson made a lot of outs in FAR fewer PA's than other players. Dawson had a career .323 on base percentage which is bad for any player let alone a Hall of Famer. Rose's career OBP is .375. Ty Cobb also made more outs than Dawson but he had 13,072 PA's and a .433 OBP. Stan Musial has 12,712 PA's and a .417 OBP (the list goes on and on).

I usually respect Paruch's opinion and think he's a thoughtful host but he really missed the point on this one and looks very foolish.

No, I wasn't the texter. I was the guy pelting them with Harold's stats all day.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Papa Dells
Keyser Soze wrote:
I was the guy pelting them with Harold's stats all day.

We had a Harold's down here for about a year. It had to close down in a town where good fried chicken is considered KFC. It just boggles the mind.
Man, I could go for some Harold's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:58 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:59 pm 

I was told to try Harold's but I'm a Chicken N Spice Man. When I find something good I stick with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
"When I'm out South to see a Chickenhead name Cheryl, I go to Harold's
But when I'm out west to fuck a nina, the pollo is Uncle Remus"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
"Pretzel Logic"...That was the name of a 1974 Steely Dan album and song I've heard on classic rock radio for many years.

Anyway, I didn't quite understand what the texter was talking about in regards to number of outs with Andre Dawson. I also didn't think it was all that necessary for Brian "The Whipping Boy" even researching such a meaningless stat.

As far as that voice who called Andre's 47th homer, while I heard the unmistakeable Harry Caray in the second soundbite, that first one sounded like longtime NBC Sports' voice Jay Randolph. While Jay was known for calling a lot of golf for the network during his heyday, he did have a brief cup of coffee as the voice of the Florida Marlins. However, the Marlins didn't start playing Major League Baseball until 1993.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:49 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Keyser Soze wrote:
I was told to try Harold's but I'm a Chicken N Spice Man. When I find something good I stick with it.

I have to agree. There is better but I would rank these the same as you relative to each other.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:08 pm 

SHARK wrote:
"Pretzel Logic"...That was the name of a 1974 Steely Dan album and song I've heard on classic rock radio for many years.

That's a really good album. Shark, do you know how the band came up with their name?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Napoli's in the Stock
Quote:
hat's a really good album. Shark, do you know how the band came up with their name?

Oh, oh, oh, call me, call me, I know the answer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's Pizza
Keyser Soze wrote:
SHARK wrote:

That's a really good album. Shark, do you know how the band came up with their name?

Keyser, I'm not sure. I have 2 Steely Dan CDs in my music library, "A Decade of Steely Dan" & 1977's "Aja", which featured the song "Boers & Bernstein" used to feature on its "Second Hand News" feature. That song is track 6 on the "Aja" CD, "I've Got the News".

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:24 pm 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
William S. Burroughs, anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Interesting Donald Fagen video here on how they came up with the Peg sound.... interestingly he plays other versions they could have made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP_2r9zbaIY Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0UVxZGRwC4 Part 2

There's others in this series (at least one, I'm going through them right now.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Harold's is garbage.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
newper wrote:
Interesting Donald Fagen video here on how they came up with the Peg sound.... interestingly he plays other versions they could have made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DP_2r9zbaIY Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0UVxZGRwC4 Part 2

There's others in this series (at least one, I'm going through them right now.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Not that impressive since Peg was on Aja.

I liked this explanation of Peg with both of them better anyway. The rejected solos are great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waIBA6_0GQc

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
KDdidit wrote:

I liked this explanation of Peg with both of them better anyway. The rejected solos are great.

Who you crappin? You didn't watch the other video -- totally different. Mine was about how the song was created, yours is about how the song was performed. Sad!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
KDdidit wrote:

I remember the first time that aired and for some reason I didn't catch it live but DVR'ed it ... I'm pretty sure I watched it three times in a row then just kept bouncing around rewinding in small increments here and there. Would that it were so that they could be talked into doing 90 minutes on each album sequentially, taking us through the progression of their sound and their lives, good and bad moments. I might as well shit in my hand and hope for gold though for as likely as something like that would be to happen.